As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

• Author
You both have some good points here. My H and I have very extensive job hunting experience due to the economy and have wondered what to do about accepting interviews while at a temp job. He declined a minimum wage temp job, BUT shortly after that, was offered a permanent job. Unfortunately, the permanent job is minimum wage and the schedule varies each week, so sometimes it's hard for him to find time to fit in the interviews. Any suggestions? Other than working the interview around his work schedule, I cannot think of anything. This is a perm job, so I don't think they'd react highly if he told them he was taking time off for other interviews. However...he was declined a job he was already hired for in the past due to wanting to start later. But CarrieT is right, take the temp job...you never know if your other prospects will work out or not. Try your best to work your way around the work schedule with interviews. If you can't, I would go with CarrieT's suggestion and be upfront that if this is a temp job, you will need to continue to look for other work. But I think there is a difference between a temp job and temp to permanent. If accepting temp-to-hire...you should be working your butt off for permanent hire when you accept it. Otherwise, they may not think you're serious about being permanent. BUT, if it's strictly temp, you have a right to make other interviews and job prospects a priority.

It sounded like the lady was going to consider me when she asked

"So there is no way you can start before 10/1/12?

And my answer was NO.

• Author
When would they have liked you to start?

I guess I should have replied with..."How soon would you need me to start?"

But instead I just said NO which was stupid. So I won't make that mistake tomorrow if asked the same question. I guess they needed me to start today, 9/24/12

Just the thought of waking up on a Monday after only 3 days of being home for 9 months was something I didn't want to deal with. The interview was Thursday and that left Friday so to start the following monday to me would be a bit too fast. But it looks like now I will just have to suck it up. But it's not a big loss because it was only a temp job paying $11.00 an hour.

I just know now not to make that mistake with a regular full-time job

Edited by PhillyDude
It sounded like the lady was going to consider me when she asked

"So there is no way you can start before 10/1/12?

And my answer was NO.

Well dude.. after all the great advice you got on this thread about how to answer it and you answered it like you should not have...

WTF ?

Temp or not you have to play your bills...

• Like 3
But it's not a big loss because it was only a temp job paying $11.00 an hour.

Do you have savings saved enough to last you another 6 months ?

You mentioned earlier in this thread that your benefits have run out ???

11.00 hr can go a long way to helping you pay the bills considering you sit at home many days...

• Author
Well dude.. after all the great advice you got on this thread about how to answer it and you answered it like you should not have...

WTF ?

Temp or not you have to play your bills...

Since it was a temp job paying $11.00 an hour, I didn't want to eliminate all my options which is why I said 10/1/12. I wasn't that eager to accept a temp job pay $11.00 an hour. So I guess there was someone who put a earlier date and started today.

And the stupid woman at the agency could have atleast called to tell me i didn't get it. So I threw the entire welcome packet for the agency which contained timesheets and other things in the garbage.

• Author
Do you have savings saved enough to last you another 6 months ?

You mentioned earlier in this thread that your benefits have run out ???

11.00 hr can go a long way to helping you pay the bills considering you sit at home many days...

$11.00 is around the same as the UC which you can understand why I wasn't that eager to accept it. It was a "push come to shove" option and I need to explore other options paying more money. The UC runs out in February

And the stupid woman at the agency could have atleast called to tell me i didn't get it. So I threw the entire welcome packet for the agency which contained timesheets and other things in the garbage.

Why are you upset at her ??? it is yourself you should be upset at...

You basically told her you could not work, and she is most likely thinking you don't want to work.

Why should she put you on a clients payroll if she can't count on you to start when you were asked to start ?

A temp agency at times must fill a position in HOURS not weeks...

• Like 5
  • Author
Why are you upset at her ??? it is yourself you should be upset at...

You basically told her you could not work, and she is most likely thinking you don't want to work.

Why should she put you on a clients payroll if she can't count on you to start when you were asked to start ?

A temp agency at times must fill a position in HOURS not weeks...

Because it's called communication, I went to the agency and registered, took the test, did well on all the test, showed up at the interview on time, and I can't atleast get a call saying that they chose someone else?

I knew Friday that I was probably not chosen because I was with the same agency in 2009 and when I went to the interview before I arrived home I had a message on my phone saying that the company liked me and wants me to start. So the fact that the interview was on a Thursday at 9am, it was no reason why I shouldn't have heard anything by close of business on Friday

Because it's called communication, I went to the agency and registered, took the test, did well on all the test, showed up at the interview on time, and I can't atleast get a call saying that they chose someone else?

Yet you did all that but told them you couldn't start when they wanted you to...

I'm missing something..

• Like 1

Did you talk to the agency after your interview to give them feedback?

That would have been a good time to discuss when they were going to follow up with the company to get a decision.

• Author
Yet you did all that but told them you couldn't start when they wanted you to...

I'm missing something..

The lady at the company asked me is there no way you can start before the 1at of Oct? I put that on the application so that's why she asked me. And after the interview was over she told me I was her last interview and she will get back to the agency so I can find out the decision.

So the stupid women at the agency has sent no email or called.

• Author
Did you talk to the agency after your interview to give them feedback?

That would have been a good time to discuss when they were going to follow up with the company to get a decision.

No I didn't talk to the agency, the lady knew what day my interview was and has all my contact information.

So the stupid women at the agency has sent no email or called.

but why even apply if you are not going to take a job thru the agency ? you have already said that 11.00 hr isn't good enough since your tax payer paid benefits are better...

I'm confused.. do you not want a temp job ?

• Author
but why even apply if you are not going to take a job thru the agency ? you have already said that 11.00 hr isn't good enough since your tax payer paid benefits are better...

I'm confused.. do you not want a temp job ?

I decided to take the temp job if offered because the place was a straight run from my apt. Plus it would have given me a active resume for the remainder of the year. So I put 10/1/12 on the application.

But I ended up receiving another call on Friday for a interview I have tomorrow at 10am. So if I decided to start at the agency on 9/24 I would have had to push it back anyway because of tomorrow's interview

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I had another interview through the agency last Thursday and when I didn't hear anything by Friday i figured they chose someone else. So I get a call from the agency today saying the company wanted to know can I start tomorrow or Wednesday? I told the agency I have to make a doctor's appt this week so I can have a clear schedule for the next 90 days.

I was able to get a dr appt for friday at 3pm. Now I am still waiting on feedback from the other interview I had last Tuesday. So I'm about to call now so I can find out where I stand.

W

So I'm about to call now so I can find out where I stand.

Don't be ashamed to say that you have an offer from another company, but you have a "great feeling - excited about working at such a positive, collaborate environment" and are curious what the status is of their process.

• Author
Don't be ashamed to say that you have an offer from another company, but you have a "great feeling - excited about working at such a positive, collaborate environment" and are curious what the status is of their process.

Just called and like I knew I would received the voicemail so I left a message and left my contact number.

Now the agency is saying the company would like me to start wednesday of this week which is kind of annoying because it's not enough notice. I was trying to make a dr appt before i started because I don't like taking off when i first start a job.

Plus if I start next monday, that allows me to file for my last bi-weekly UC check. By starting this week, I won't be able to claim this week at all since I would start working on 10/3.

So all of this has just happened to damm fast for me. Why the hell would I be starting in the middle of the week? I have gotten completely aggravated in the last hour.

Yes I am thankful that the company that wants me to start is 10 mins away from home but I just figured i would be starting on a monday. The agency is going to fix it so I can leave the job early on friday to go to the doctor's appt

I don't like doing that either because I prefer to have a clear 90 day schedule when starting something new

Just called and like I knew I would received the voicemail so I left a message and left my contact number.

Now the agency is saying the company would like me to start wednesday of this week which is kind of annoying because it's not enough notice. I was trying to make a dr appt before i started because I don't like taking off when i first start a job.

Plus if I start next monday, that allows me to file for my last bi-weekly UC check. By starting this week, I won't be able to claim this week at all since I would start working on 10/3.

So all of this has just happened to damm fast for me. Why the hell would I be starting in the middle of the week? I have gotten completely aggravated in the last hour.

Yes I am thankful that the company that wants me to start is 10 mins away from home but I just figured i would be starting on a monday. The agency is going to fix it so I can leave the job early on friday to go to the doctor's appt

I don't like doing that either because I prefer to have a clear 90 day schedule when starting something new

I'm gonna take a wild guess here..... glass half empty, right?

• Like 2
Ginger Grant
Shopping for new clothes

Last doctor visit

Make sure I start the job after I file for my last UC check

That's why

You have accepted unemployment checks on the grounds that you are ready, willing, and able to work. Shop for clothing NOW, before you have a job. Is Unemployment giving you health insurance? NO. Go see a doctor NOW, before you are hired for a job. How long have you been out of work? You should be chomping at the bit to start work, instead you look for excuses to delay employment.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think it's just way too much bull**** to go through to get a job most of the time?

I mean I went through a TWO MONTH process for a job I really wanted, got down to 3 people and didn't get it. I basically wasted two months of my life, and time I could've been looking for something else.

It made me mad enough that I gave up looking for the time being, but then my current job angers me and I start looking again.

• Like 1
  • Author
You have accepted unemployment checks on the grounds that you are ready, willing, and able to work. Shop for clothing NOW, before you have a job. Is Unemployment giving you health insurance? NO. Go see a doctor NOW, before you are hired for a job. How long have you been out of work? You should be chomping at the bit to start work, instead you look for excuses to delay employment.

For a regular full-time job yes.

Does anyone else think it's just way too much bull**** to go through to get a job most of the time?

No, I've been on both sides of the interview process and both sides hate it, but it has to happen for good reasons. When I finally completed the interview process with Microsoft (it's a little company in Washington State) and got the offer I actually responded with giving them the resumes of a few associates and going to work at another place that had already given me a better offer the day before.

That's how it goes - they both ended up at MS and one seems to be making a career of it, so it's all good.

I mean I went through a TWO MONTH process for a job I really wanted, got down to 3 people and didn't get it. I basically wasted two months of my life, and time I could've been looking for something else.

It made me mad enough that I gave up looking for the time being, but then my current job angers me and I start looking again.

Yeah I feel you. The lesson I have learned is to never stop looking for another job...even if you have prospects. Nothing is guaranteed until you have the job.