As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Had a phone interview tonight for this job and she was going to scheduled the face to face interview for Monday but I couldn't go because the position requires you to have a car.

Oh well, on to the next

Why don't you have a car? And I'm retarded...

At least you can't drive down the shore. :laugh:

I can't afford it right now

Oh my goodness. I don't know what line of work you are in but you sound like you live check to check and aren't overly enthusiastic with your prospects so why don't you go get training so you can do work that you like?

Better still would be training for work that you like and pays the bills.

You need motivation and a plan.

Some of the responses here are crazy, they make it seem like telling an employer you need 2 weeks to start is evil, selfish and wrong. In fact it's to give a former employer notice to replace you, yet it sounds like none of you would support that?

Kind of further showcases why I think jobs in the US are ****ed up. You can fail interviews due to nervousness, being "over-educated", having "a lot of jobs" when you're mid 20's and no ****...do you live under a rock?

Employers have these insane requirements, and don't even like hiring unemployed people. I was unemployed for eight months and my entire life fell apart as I went back to school, lost my home, girlfriend, pets, friends, wracked up tons of debt, etc.

I just...wow people. Philly is being aggressive but when I was unemployed that long I was unhappy too. Cut him some slack.

• Like 1

PD... I think you miss that your attitude.. whatever it is, it seeps into your interviews, and there is no way to stop it... if your attitude is great then it shows.. if it isn't then that also shows..

I think you have spent too much time figuring out to make it to the last check that you have missed the whole point of why you make a job out of trying to find a job..

90 mins a day really doesn't cut it, I have seen people really serious about finding work literally spend 8-10 hrs a day out of the house looking rather than sitting behind an email package and browser.

Many of those people walk into my company looking for work.. some have even come back more than once.

There was one young guy that caught my eye one time that brought a couple of doughnuts with his resume and followed up later with more doughnuts.. he got the most attention at work and got his resume detailed, even though he wasn't a good fit for our company and couldn't find a place for him I sent his resume to several people I know that were hiring to help him out since he made such a good impression on me...

I know it can't be easy in this economy but you have to keep trying, you have to make sure you get out, get dressed everyday and leave the house to go look for a job, and don't forget to mingle with people.

Keep those people skills sharp and network..

If you get offered a job.. don't lie about needing 2 weeks notice..

The chances are if they are hiring you they know if you are really working or not..

A lie is not the best way to start out a new relationship with a new employer.

Good luck next week....

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Response to deleted post
  • Like 1
  • Author
Will Santa be dropping her off in his sleigh ? :laugh:

PD... I think you miss that your attitude.. whatever it is, it seeps into your interviews, and there is no way to stop it... if your attitude is great then it shows.. if it isn't then that also shows..

I think you have spent too much time figuring out to make it to the last check that you have missed the whole point of why you make a job out of trying to find a job..

90 mins a day really doesn't cut it, I have seen people really serious about finding work literally spend 8-10 hrs a day out of the house looking rather than sitting behind an email package and browser.

Many of those people walk into my company looking for work.. some have even come back more than once.

There was one young guy that caught my eye one time that brought a couple of doughnuts with his resume and followed up later with more doughnuts.. he got the most attention at work and got his resume detailed, even though he wasn't a good fit for our company and couldn't find a place for him I sent his resume to several people I know that were hiring to help him out since he made such a good impression on me...

I know it can't be easy in this economy but you have to keep trying, you have to make sure you get out, get dressed everyday and leave the house to go look for a job, and don't forget to mingle with people.

Keep those people skills sharp and network..

If you get offered a job.. don't lie about needing 2 weeks notice..

The chances are if they are hiring you they know if you are really working or not..

A lie is not the best way to start out a new relationship with a new employer.

Good luck next week....

What company can you walk in and drop off a resume in 2012? i don't know what the hell you are talking about

What company can you walk in and drop off a resume in 2012? i don't know what the hell you are talking about

Well not a fortune 500 company.. those you can't get past the security guards but not all company's employ security company's at their front entrances...

You live in Philly.. ? A guess...:laugh: there are 1000's of company's in your city that you can walk into and strike up a conversation with the receptionist and can work your resume in that way...

A quick story...

One of our accounts..a well known company.. one of our sales people got his foot in the door by becoming friends with the mail clerk in the mailroom in the basement, and even took her to lunch, thru that and some time she gave him all the contact info of the right people and that was his foot in the door...

Sometimes you have to be creative today....

I'm not saying that face to face is the only or the best way to get hired.. but it keeps your people skills sharpened and also helps with your networking.

Sometimes all it takes is getting to know someone, like that guy who brought doughnuts in and you get helped or even become the receiver of a favor.

• Like 1
Some of the responses here are crazy, they make it seem like telling an employer you need 2 weeks to start is evil, selfish and wrong. In fact it's to give a former employer notice to replace you, yet it sounds like none of you would support that?

I posted that if one is working then it's reasonable to ask for notice and time between, but if one has been on the dole for 9 months, not so much unless there is a valid reason. Basically it always boils down to why the interviewee needs the time. "I have to give 2 weeks notice" is a good reason. "I have non-refundable tickets to Kenya" is also a decent (but negotiable) reason.

"I need 4 days to get a haircut and buy slacks" is an idiotic reason.

I'm aware, I'm talking about everyone saying "If an employer says when you can start, ASAP!" and essentially saying it for every situation.

See above.

Right now I've been without work of my own choice for well over a year, and I recently started feeling bored so I reactivated my resume. I've gotten a few very interested hits and I'm currently discussing it with them but I'm going to go back to America and visit family for a few weeks before I take work that will prevent family visits, since I've not seen my parents or siblings for almost a year.

I'm not on the dole, and I have made my position clear in the initial emails. Because the positions are hard to fill and my qualifications are excellent, they are "flexible on start dates" but I will not abuse that, and I understand that there is a finite chance I may miss out on those opportunities.

Edited by 123321
I'm aware, I'm talking about everyone saying "If an employer says when you can start, ASAP!" and essentially saying it for every situation.

I'm not saying that for "every situation"; it's directed to this poster's situation in particular - a poster who is in such financial straits that he struggles to stretch his "UC" (I assume unemployment compensation, or something like that?) check to pay his bills, and he is desperate to find a job. For a poster like that, I think the sensible answer is "as soon as you need me."

If working is optional, or if you have plenty of money and minimal financial worries, or if you already have a job that you want to give 2 weeks notice, or if you're just not feeling desperate, then by all means: negotiate your new job terms and starting date from a position of confidence. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a week or two, as long as you are good with whatever the outcome might be, including consideration of your own finances and mental well-being.

But if you are stretched thin, need money for bills that are going unpaid, if you're feeling desperate, then I think my answer would be "When do you need me?", and not "ahhhhh, I could use a vacation!"

Kind of further showcases why I think jobs in the US are ****ed up. You can fail interviews due to nervousness, being "over-educated", having "a lot of jobs" when you're mid 20's and no ****...do you live under a rock?

Employers have these insane requirements, and don't even like hiring unemployed people. I was unemployed for eight months and my entire life fell apart as I went back to school, lost my home, girlfriend, pets, friends, wracked up tons of debt, etc.

I just...wow people. Philly is being aggressive but when I was unemployed that long I was unhappy too. Cut him some slack.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I could go on forever about the unfairness of employers and jobs...from 50% requiring you to be bilingual, not willing to hire without degree or experience. How will you get the experience without the job? Catch 22. Employers are having their cake and eating it too because they can and it doesn't mean it's fair. It's disgusting, but that means you have to be competitive and flexible. As some others mentioned, if the OP has some extraordinary circumstances required him to start later, then that is another case.

Employers are having their cake and eating it too because they can and it doesn't mean it's fair. It's disgusting ...

Employers don't owe you a job sweet cheeks. If it's disgusting go start your own business and grow it until you can be the kind of employer you think people deserve.

• Like 1

I have friends who own their own business and they've sacrificed a lot and worked real hard to make it a success and their customers keep coming back.

They'd NEVER hire someone who is rude, lazy and socially inept to interact with their customers.

They aren't going to risk their reputation for someone who cares so little about their own.

They've worked way too hard to have one twit ruin it for them.

I'd say, "as soon as possible," because the sooner I start working, the sooner I'll be making money to pay for clothes, haircuts, laundry, etc.

Other than UC, those are all costs coming out of my/your pocket. Work is money coming into my/your pocket.

At most, you could ask for a day to prep, but asking for more time is likely to give the wrong impression and put a question over your enthusiasm and candidacy.

There are only three interview questions that matter:

1. Can you do the job?
  2. Will you love the job?
  3. Can we tolerate working with you?

By being difficult at interview, you are jeopardising 2 and 3. And by association, 1 comes under scrutiny.

My advice is to start as soon as possible and get all your "chores" done at the weekend if you have to. Surely they don't require you to take a weekday where you'll receive no income to do them? I suspect that you are not at a level where you can pick and choose. In which case, it's worth remembering that they are doing you a favour, not the other way round.

• Like 3
I'd say, "as soon as possible," because the sooner I start working, the sooner I'll be making money to pay for clothes, haircuts, laundry, etc.

Other than UC, those are all costs coming out of my/your pocket. Work is money coming into my/your pocket.

At most, you could ask for a day to prep, but asking for more time is likely to give the wrong impression and put a question over your enthusiasm and candidacy.

There are only three interview questions that matter:

1. Can you do the job?
  2. Will you love the job?
  3. Can we tolerate working with you?

By being difficult at interview, you are jeopardising 2 and 3. And by association, 1 comes under scrutiny.

My advice is to start as soon as possible and get all your "chores" done at the weekend if you have to. Surely they don't require you to take a weekday where you'll receive no income to do them? I suspect that you are not at a level where you can pick and choose. In which case, it's worth remembering that they are doing you a favour, not the other way round.

I'm not sure a lot of people get to answer yes to #2, and to the second bolded part, we can't forget that in the US. It's like a black cloud hanging over interviews believe me.

Employers don't owe you a job sweet cheeks. If it's disgusting go start your own business and grow it until you can be the kind of employer you think people deserve.

Never said they did. You missed my point entirely. The point to another poster was that due to the economy, employers can be as picky as they want. And yes, if you go out of your way to really show you want the job, they can at least say "I'm sorry, the position is filled good luck on your search" rather than giving the runaround. All too often and from experience, it's never more irritating to be "led on" with a job when you don't have a chance and give you a response 2 months later because they are tired of hearing from you. I think common courtesy should be met on both ends. Sure, they are not entitled to employ you, but promising a call when they won't actually call you is a waste of both your time. I know a lot of people whom have waited on a particular job for a promising phone call and to never hear back. If not a phone call, a follow up email decline for the job is sufficient. I've learned from experience never to wait on phone calls...I keep applying to jobs until I get hired. Never will I wait to "hear back" from a job.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I could go on forever about the unfairness of employers and jobs...from 50% requiring you to be bilingual, not willing to hire without degree or experience. How will you get the experience without the job? Catch 22. Employers are having their cake and eating it too because they can and it doesn't mean it's fair. It's disgusting, but that means you have to be competitive and flexible. As some others mentioned, if the OP has some extraordinary circumstances required him to start later, then that is another case.

I can hardly believe that YOU believe this.

YES, an employer has their cake (they own or manage the business) and they are ABSOLUTELY going to hire the very best they can.

What on Earth could be wrong with requiring a bilingual person or one who has a bachelors degree? If that's what they need, that is what they can have.

Do you seriously think that they are "unfair" and "disgusting" because they are actively seeking to do the best that they can for their business?

THAT IS WHAT BUSINESS IS ABOUT.

Not giving someone with a poor education, attitude, or qualifications a "chance."

That said, many employers will loosen up on any number of requirements when they are faced with an exceptional individual. Such a person inspires a desire to give a chance.

But an entitled attitude like the OP and you seem to have would be such a turn off in an interview … any HR person or experienced boss could read it in the first moments. It would be foolhardy to give a "chance" to somebody like that.

I can hardly believe that YOU believe this.

YES, an employer has their cake (they own or manage the business) and they are ABSOLUTELY going to hire the very best they can.

What on Earth could be wrong with requiring a bilingual person or one who has a bachelors degree? If that's what they need, that is what they can have.

Do you seriously think that they are "unfair" and "disgusting" because they are actively seeking to do the best that they can for their business?

THAT IS WHAT BUSINESS IS ABOUT.

Not giving someone with a poor education, attitude, or qualifications a "chance."

That said, many employers will loosen up on any number of requirements when they are faced with an exceptional individual. Such a person inspires a desire to give a chance.

But an entitled attitude like the OP and you seem to have would be such a turn off in an interview … any HR person or experienced boss could read it in the first moments. It would be foolhardy to give a "chance" to somebody like that.

Honestly? Of course it is absurd that you want to require a bachelors degree to file some paperwork or answer phones for $10 an hour. A monkey can do those jobs. They require it in this economy because they can and to eliminate candidates because there are just too many people without work applying to the same job. It really eliminates a lot of hardworking people who can perform the job just as well. And you can't say that 50% of jobs have reason to require bilingual. Most people are not bilingual. This is exactly why the unemployment rate will not come down unless more employers are willing to give people a chance! It's a known fact many employers refuse to hire at a job anyone can do without some experience. Well seriously, how are you supposed to get the experience if an employer refuses to even look at your resume because you have no experience? It's not a bad attitude, this has been going on for quite awhile now.

Honestly? Of course it is absurd that you want to require a bachelors degree to file some paperwork or answer phones for $10 an hour. A monkey can do those jobs.

When I was an employer, I preferred to hire people with a minimum of a bachelor's degree. Monkeys could not do the job, but the education behind the degree was not the thing. They were sales jobs and there is not a major for that. The "thing" was that the person had shown some perseverance and goal orientation by getting their bachelors degree. I valued that, and would have even if it were a job that monkeys could do.

That said, one of the best employees ever did not have a degree. We hired her from within the industry, though.

Also, with all that said, I'm sure the wretched attitude of "monkeys could do this stupid job" as opposed to "what a great place to work! I would LOVE to do this job and I know I can bring a lot to it" comes through loud and clear to anybody interviewing.

To be fair, an educated person can bring a similar bad attitude which reads more like, "With my great education and being multi-lingual, I am far above this stupid job that monkeys can do." I'm sure that those types get passed over just as swiftly as the people more like you.

They require it in this economy because they can and to eliminate candidates because there are just too many people without work applying to the same job. It really eliminates a lot of hardworking people who can perform the job just as well.

Maybe, but it ALSO rewards individuals who strive harder, and gains for the company qualities that are valued and desired by the company.

And you can't say that 50% of jobs have reason to require bilingual. Most people are not bilingual.

I don't think I said that. But if a job involves working with people who don't speak English, even some of the time, I certainly would hire a bilingual person over one who was not every time, all else being equal.

If being bilingual is a requirement in 50% of the jobs you are trying to get, LEARN THE NEW LANGUAGE. Isn't that a no-brainer? Or else move to a different industry. Or to a different locale where only English is spoken. The onus is on YOU to step it up, not on employers to lower standards.

This is exactly why the unemployment rate will not come down unless more employers are willing to give people a chance!

Faulty logic. If the employers are hiring ANYBODY, it is good. Hiring virtually unemployable people to "give them a chance" is not benefitting the economy any more than hiring people with the qualifications an employer seeks is.

I don't have statistics at hand, but I think that there are probably as many skilled and experienced people struggling in the job market as there are non-starters.

It's a known fact many employers refuse to hire at a job anyone can do without some experience. Well seriously, how are you supposed to get the experience if an employer refuses to even look at your resume because you have no experience? It's not a bad attitude, this has been going on for quite awhile now.

So what else is new? I remember being in exactly that same boat when I was trying to get into the workforce. Frustrating. My daughter (25, dropped out of college, I pray she goes back!) has been struggling through it for years now, in today's economy. Both she and I managed to stay the course and break through the barriers. In her case, it involved going to freaking Alaska to work and gain the experience she needed to bring her into a competitive realm in the lower 48. She is still there, and it remains to be seen how she'll fare when she gets back here.

A determined person WILL and CAN do what they need to do to get that difficult ball rolling. It's happening every day. It's often a numbers game - try the most and the hardest and you'll have much better success than thosw who make a half-assed effort. Those who feel entitled and / or butthurt because they are losing jobs to more qualified, talented, educated, positive and even lucky people are going to keep losing. And complaining.

This is exactly why the unemployment rate will not come down unless more employers are willing to give people a chance!

Wait, are you saying that paying jobs are going unfilled because employers are not giving less-qualified people those positions?

"unemployment rate will not come down" = paying jobs that are available are not being filled.

Is that what you are saying?

I agree with your earlier assertions that rudeness on the part of an employer (like not calling back when promised) is bad manners and, well, RUDE. But bad manners and rudeness does not equate to unfair. Unfair is when you are entitled to something that is not delivered. And I'm sorry, but an employer having bad manners is not the same thing as unfair hiring practices.

An employer will fill a job that needs filling with the best qualified candidate they can find. That is not unfair to the less-qualified candidates; it's just how the employment market works.

In these times when a lot of people are out of work, it's an employer's market - few positions and lots of candidates means the employers get their pick of the top prospects, and the others go without. The fundamental cause is not that the employers choose not to give less-qualified candidates a chance, it's that there are so many candidates available that the employer doesn't need to go very far down the list of candidates to fill a position.

In a time when the economy is hopping, and lots of positions are open, and there are not a lot of qualified people out of work to fill them, then employers will have to consider less-qualified candidates, offer more attractive salaries, maybe consider offering job training to bring people up to where they need them to be. Then it's more of an employee's market. We can only hope for that in the future.

But the path to more employment is not for employers to bypass more-qualified candidates and hire less-qualified ones, to be nice...

Edited by Trimmer
Wait, are you saying that paying jobs are going unfilled because employers are not giving less-qualified people those positions?

"unemployment rate will not come down" = paying jobs that are available are not being filled.

Is that what you are saying?

I agree with your earlier assertions that rudeness on the part of an employer (like not calling back when promised) is bad manners and, well, RUDE. But bad manners and rudeness does not equate to unfair. Unfair is when you are entitled to something that is not delivered. And I'm sorry, but an employer having bad manners is not the same thing as unfair hiring practices.

An employer will fill a job that needs filling with the best qualified candidate they can find. That is not unfair to the less-qualified candidates; it's just how the employment market works.

In these times when a lot of people are out of work, it's an employer's market - few positions and lots of candidates means the employers get their pick of the top prospects, and the others go without. The fundamental cause is not that the employers choose not to give less-qualified candidates a chance, it's that there are so many candidates available that the employer doesn't need to go very far down the list of candidates to fill a position.

In a time when the economy is hopping, and lots of positions are open, and there are not a lot of qualified people out of work to fill them, then employers will have to consider less-qualified candidates, offer more attractive salaries, maybe consider offering job training to bring people up to where they need them to be. Then it's more of an employee's market. We can only hope for that in the future.

But the path to more employment is not for employers to bypass more-qualified candidates and hire less-qualified ones, to be nice...

I'm not sure about other areas, but there are definitely fields and companies around here that don't have enough qualified individuals and hence hiring workers from other countries on visas to perform them. Mostly science and math related fields.

But I have just noticed the times have changed. The same job my grandmother had with a high school diploma now requires a bachelors degree. Doesn't mean the job has gotten more difficult, but rather that employers can be picky and in a position with 400 resumes sent, the person with the degree or years of experience has a much higher chance.

Doesn't mean the job has gotten more difficult, but rather that employers can be picky and in a position with 400 resumes sent, the person with the degree or years of experience has a much higher chance.

Yup. That's why I nag my daughter about finishing college. If she is not planning on a particular field, just having the accomplishment is significant. Like a degree in English Literature, or whatever.

Yup. That's why I nag my daughter about finishing college. If she is not planning on a particular field, just having the accomplishment is significant. Like a degree in English Literature, or whatever.

There's a lower unemployment rate for college grads, but they can be working part time at mcdonalds to avoid that statistic.

My girlfriend and best friend are both BA's in Economics returning to school for certificates in accounting and then their Master's in accounting.

Why? They can't get past 15 dollars an hour with their BA.

My sister has 80,000 in debt and no job prospects either, decent school but WAY too much money for it. I went the low cost route at least and have 3k left to pay off.

Yet I'm probably going to have to go back again too, and I still have no field I really want to be in. The closest might be law enforcement but my physical problems won't allow it.

Life sucks, eh?

• Like 1

My brother just got a bachelors in Psychology last year and makes $9 an hour, part time. :( I know he is capable of landing a better paying job, even if he wouldn't be able to find something in psychology per se. I do think a bachelors degree does give a big boost, no matter what the field because a lot of companies just want a BA or BS regardless of major. I just don't think he is motivated and like the OP, he really needs to shape up his attitude in a job. He's the type who thinks himself and others like me and my husband can get time off work whenever we feel like it.