As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

• Author
I would tell the employer could start as soon as possible, so I would not lose out on a job opportunity!

Yeah at this point I guess that is all I can say

• Like 1
And you appear to be to slightly retarded if you think someone should start a new job in 2 or 3 days

I am retarded because i would be asking to start on the spot if they needed me to.....yaaay go the window lickers......heres a lick on your window sorry about the slobber...not really slobber is useful......smile man...be retarded here is a song get up and dance then start that job....NOW.....hands up get groovin....from retarded me to the future retarded you....deb

• Like 1
  • Author
That question has a lot of opportunities given to you depends on your answer.

It willl show your eagerness to work, like it you say you can start immediately, it means you really would love to work for their company, but if you say something like next week, this also makes you a lot different than most people would answer making you someone they should watch for :)

Yeah I guess I will just ask how soon do you need me to start if asked that question. No point in jeopardizing an opportunity.

But it would be nice to start in a week or so to have one final week to relax and not stress.

• Author
I am retarded because i would be asking to start on the spot if they needed me to.....yaaay go the window lickers......heres a lick on your window sorry about the slobber...not really slobber is useful......smile man...be retarded here is a song get up and dance then start that job....NOW.....hands up get groovin....from retarded me to the future retarded you....deb

It's retarded to have someone start a new job in 2 business days but if there are no other options you may not have a choice

• Author
Say "As soon as possible!"

My brother was lucky when he started his job, the start date was 3 weeks after the offer. I need something like that

It's retarded to have someone start a new job in 2 business days but if there are no other options you may not have a choice

It is NOT retarted to have someone start in two days if they have been interviewing and looking for someone for a long time...

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. And that first impression could be your willingness to do whatever is necessary for the new job.

Would you call that retarded?

• Author
I don't get it. You said you've been unemployed since January which is 9 months. Why do you need a week to "relax and not stress"? Most people would be so relieved of stress at landing a job after 9 months they'd be ready to start working with a day's notice. Anyway you haven't even been for the interview yet and that's only the first step of possibly many to actually getting a job offer. Hope you do well in the interview but don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even hit first base.

Are you telling me that you don't know it's a difference between being at home for 9 months without a offer versus being home a week knowing you start work soon?

Of course if I was home a week with a hire letter would be different because I'm set to start work shortly

If I'm home and have no interviews or no offers then it's depressing

Do you understand the difference now?

• Like 1

If you do get offered a job, and they ask you to start immediately - I'm pretty sure your attitude about them being "retarded" will shine right through and you won't last very long.

It really sounds like you have a crap attitude about going to work.

• Like 1
  • Author
If you do get offered a job, and they ask you to start immediately - I'm pretty sure your attitude about them being "retarded" will shine right through and you won't last very long.

It really sounds like you have a crap attitude about going to work.

I;m in a situation right now where I only have 1 pair of pants to wear if I was hired because all the other dress pants I had are too big now. So it would be nice if I was offered a job and told i could start in a week or two so I can go shopping and add to my work wardrobe

I;m in a situation right now where I only have 1 pair of pants to wear if I was hired because all the other dress pants I had are too big now. So it would be nice if I was offered a job and told i could start in a week or two so I can go shopping and add to my work wardrobe

It takes A WEEK OR TWO for you to shop for clothes?!?! :lmao:

How about an hour or two?

You're joking, right ...

• Like 1
  • Author
It takes A WEEK OR TWO for you to shop for clothes?!?! :lmao:

How about an hour or two?

You're joking, right ...

No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday

I would definitely recommend taking the job as soon as they offer it. If they say "we'll start in one week". I would ask if there was anything I could to in the interim like shadow someone.

With this economy you don't want to say "in two weeks"...what if those two weeks go by and the boss says "hey we are actually doing okay with John Doe here, maybe we don't need that position after all!" It's why people are reluctant to take vacations at work these days. People don't want to risk looking obsolete. "Hey Jane's been gone 2 weeks and we were easily able to pick up the slack....next downsize we know what job to eliminate. "

Not sure what the job is, but most companies it will just be HR classes and stuff the first week anyway. But you can shop on-line right now and have the clothes picked out that way you can buy them right away. No lag time. :) Just my two cents.

• Like 1
No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday

It takes you ONE DAY to have a haircut?

I KNOW you're joking now.

By the way, working people manage to do all of those things AT THE SAME TIME as holding down a full time job! Yes! It's true!

I hope you get a job offer and you don't blow it completely. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Author
I would definitely recommend taking the job as soon as they offer it. If they say "we'll start in one week". I would ask if there was anything I could to in the interim like shadow someone.

With this economy you don't want to say "in two weeks"...what if those two weeks go by and the boss says "hey we are actually doing okay with John Doe here, maybe we don't need that position after all!" It's why people are reluctant to take vacations at work these days. People don't want to risk looking obsolete. "Hey Jane's been gone 2 weeks and we were easily able to pick up the slack....next downsize we know what job to eliminate. "

Not sure what the job is, but most companies it will just be HR classes and stuff the first week anyway. But you can shop on-line right now and have the clothes picked out that way you can buy them right away. No lag time. :) Just my two cents.

I would like a week, not 2 weeks. One week would be fine

• Author
It takes you ONE DAY to have a haircut?

I KNOW you're joking now.

By the way, working people manage to do all of those things AT THE SAME TIME as holding down a full time job! Yes! It's true!

I hope you get a job offer and you don't blow it completely. Good luck.

The haircut involves me traveling across the city so that would be a 1 day event

I would like a week, not 2 weeks. One week would be fine

Yeah, kind of depends on the industry. Hard to say for sure. I would leave it up to them though. If they ask I would say "as soon as you would like me" and leave it to fate. Just my opinion. Lots of variables based on industry to consider. I think if you ready to go at their discretion you can't really lose.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yeah, kind of depends on the industry. Hard to say for sure. I would leave it up to them though. If they ask I would say "as soon as you would like me" and leave it to fate. Just my opinion. Lots of variables based on industry to consider. I think if you ready to go at their discretion you can't really lose.

I remember 2 years ago I was offered the job on the Thursday before Memorial Day and she asked when can i start and i was like....."well since Monday is a holiday I can"

And before I could finish the sentence she interrupted me and said..."you can start tuesday" I was so pissed because that was too damm fast for me to be starting a new job

My brother was lucky when he started his job, the start date was 3 weeks after the offer. I need something like that

For someone who's been out of work for 9 months, you would consider it lucky to have an additional 3 week delay before being able to start earning money?

Do laundry tonight (why would you wait?) Get your hair cut on the afternoon the offer comes. Wear your one good pair of pants to work the next morning. Shop for work clothes after work that evening. As far as the doctor: are you in need of medical care before you can start work?

I would be chomping at the bit to get started, but then again, if I were chomping at the bit to get started, I would have all that other stuff (laundry? really?) lined up already if I knew that there was a possibility of a job offer anywhere in the near future.

Think like a winner - think like a successful person. None of this "I hope my new job doesn't start for 3 weeks so I can relax" stuff.

• Like 1
I remember 2 years ago I was offered the job on the Thursday before Memorial Day and she asked when can i start and i was like....."well since Monday is a holiday I can"

And before I could finish the sentence she interrupted me and said..."you can start tuesday" I was so pissed because that was too damm fast for me to be starting a new job

Uh.... what were you going to say? "Since Monday is a holiday, I can start the following Monday?" :confused:

But hey, all of this assumes that you really want and/or need the job. If that's not the case, then go ahead and dictate your terms...

• Author
For someone who's been out of work for 9 months, you would consider it lucky to have an additional 3 week delay before being able to start earning money?

Do laundry tonight (why would you wait?) Get your hair cut on the afternoon the offer comes. Wear your one good pair of pants to work the next morning. Shop for work clothes after work that evening. As far as the doctor: are you in need of medical care before you can start work?

I would be chomping at the bit to get started, but then again, if I were chomping at the bit to get started, I would have all that other stuff (laundry? really?) lined up already if I knew that there was a possibility of a job offer anywhere in the near future.

Think like a winner - think like a successful person. None of this "I hope my new job doesn't start for 3 weeks so I can relax" stuff.

Well of course I would still file for UC until I start the job so why would it matter if I started in 3 weeks? And I would see my primary doctor was last time because I know I wouldn't be able to see her until 6 months or after

You can't take off for appts when you are in the probationary period

• Like 1
  • Author
Uh.... what were you going to say? "Since Monday is a holiday, I can start the following Monday?" :confused:

But hey, all of this assumes that you really want and/or need the job. If that's not the case, then go ahead and dictate your terms...

I was going to ask would the following Monday be ok since next week was a short week after the Holiday. But I never had a chance to ask because she stopped me and said I could start that Tuesday

SO what ended up happening?

1 My first paycheck was a half of check since I started in the middle of a pay period

2. My last UC check was a half of check since I couldn't file for a bi-weekly because of the start date

So I didn't get set financially until almost mid-July after starting the Job at the end of May

Your attitude is terrible. I don't think you are getting a job anytime soon.

• Like 2