As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday

So you figure 14 hours of shopping, 14 hours with the doctor, 14 hours of doing laundry (for 1 pair of slacks?) and a 14 hour haircut.

Perhaps you should work on your time management skills before you take a job.

• Like 8
"Immediately"

Can do, Boss. Can do, Boss. Can do, Boss.

You made the right choice, Boss. I'm gonna work harder and shine brighter than anyone else, Boss. I'll never be unemployed again, Boss. For when the time comes, I'll be the last person you let go, Boss.

I have a job interview today - They're going to be so keen on me by the time I've finished with them, they're going to wish I'd started last month.

• Like 3

I had a first interview on Tuesday and "G" and a first interview last Friday at "H".

"G" called my recruiter this morning and is anxious to schedule a second interview ("blown out of the water..."). "H" called me directly this afternoon and my second interview with them is on Friday.

My only hope is that if both make offers, it happens in concert with one another so I can start a bidding war or aren't asked to start next Monday when a second interview might occur.

That is the only reason I want to buy an extra week... I've only been unemployed for five weeks and I can't wait to get back to work!

• Like 3
Itsallhappeningnow

Hey,

Honestly the best response is I'd love to start as soon as you guys cold possibly have me.

Never ever give your employer conditions before getting the job, you can only do this after proving ourself and once your really good at your job; confident etc. at tis point you are an asset to them.

• Like 1
  • Author
No, I don't understand the difference because you're not making any sense. Like I said you haven't even had a first interview yet and you're already shooting yourself in the foot with all this nonsense about all the time you need to get a simple haircut, a doctor's appointment and buy a second pair of pants.

What do you do for a living that apparently makes everything so complicated?

Again you don't understand. Right now even though I;m home and have been home since January, it's not a DAMM VACATION because I constantly think each day..."I need to be working before Jan of 2013"

If I have a hire letter the week of sept 24th telling me to report to work on October 1st, I will be mentally free of thinking about...."when am I going to get a job". It will be a MENTAL VACATION from stressing about finding a job which is the difference between being home with no job offers and being home with a job offer.

It will be a MENTAL VACATION from stressing about finding a job which is the difference between being home with no job offers and being home with a job offer.

That's understandable - but it doesn't make it valid.

• Author
That's understandable - but it doesn't make it valid.

You know now that I think about it, since 1999 every time I started a new job it was right away. I never had a chance to chill a little bit and prepare myself mentally for a new transition so I don't even know what it feels like to have a week to myself before I started a new job.

Maybe one day that will happen.

I never had a chance to chill a little bit and prepare myself mentally for a new transition so I don't even know what it feels like to have a week to myself before I started a new job.

Nine months of unemployment IS the transition time and you are mentally preparing for it now, with this very thread, supposing an offer comes through.

I've ranted enough in other threads about the power of positive thinking and "walk the walk - talk the talk" mentality of living one's life.

If you wake up tomorrow with the idea that you only have two or three days left before you start work, I believe you will start to see a remarkable difference in your attitude and your ability to get a job. Employers can perceive this type of lackadaisical attitude you are exuding and it is undesirable in a candidate. The converse is a desperation for a job which is probably coming across as well.

Get your sh*t together with the haircut at least. I'd also recommend the Goodwill for some new clothes (I'm serious about that - I have an amazing wardrobe of designer labels which look incredibly professional for $2 and $3 an item). Just having new things to wear - even if secondhand - can feel empowering.

If, each day, you believe that is your last day of unemployment, you will have done the "mental transition" before you realize it.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 5
Again you don't understand. Right now even though I;m home and have been home since January, it's not a DAMM VACATION because I constantly think each day..."I need to be working before Jan of 2013"

If I have a hire letter the week of sept 24th telling me to report to work on October 1st, I will be mentally free of thinking about...."when am I going to get a job". It will be a MENTAL VACATION from stressing about finding a job which is the difference between being home with no job offers and being home with a job offer.

That sounds like a big pile of horse excrement to me. I've been unemployed, heck I'm technically unemployed NOW, and it's EXACTLY like a vacation.

You know now that I think about it, since 1999 every time I started a new job it was right away. I never had a chance to chill a little bit and prepare myself mentally for a new transition so I don't even know what it feels like to have a week to myself before I started a new job.

Maybe one day that will happen.

I've asked for time off when I was being poached from one job by a new employer, but that was negotiating from a position of strength AND I was coming in from a stressful job to a new, stressful job. In one case I had already planned a 4 week vacation in Africa and in another the reason I was leaving was because they were discouraging me from using much of my 8 weeks accrued vacation time.

• Like 1
  • Author
That sounds like a big pile of horse excrement to me. I've been unemployed, heck I'm technically unemployed NOW, and it's EXACTLY like a vacation.

I've asked for time off when I was being poached from one job by a new employer, but that was negotiating from a position of strength AND I was coming in from a stressful job to a new, stressful job. In one case I had already planned a 4 week vacation in Africa and in another the reason I was leaving was because they were discouraging me from using much of my 8 weeks accrued vacation time.

To me vacation means

1. Going shopping

2. Traveling

3. No stress

4. Fun and excitement

Not

1. seeking jobs online

2. going on interviews

3. trying to manage a small a$$ UC check

4. desperately seeking a job to apply to each day

So we obvously have different defintions of vacations

• Like 1
1. seeking jobs online

2. going on interviews

That just doesn't look like 10 hours of daily "work" to me, it looks like 90 minutes (tops) of web searching, a few emails, and the biggest part of the day free to go for a walk, bike ride, play a computer game, or other low cost leisure activity.

#3 in particular has me in stitches. How many hours does that take and how specifically are they spent? For me, saving money consists of mostly *not* doing things, and doesn't take up much actual time at all. But then you figured a haircut wold take all day so maybe we operate at different speeds.

• Like 3

I get you, PhillyDude. It's nice to have some time to prepare. I got my friend a job at my work and she quit her previous job to work at this current job. This required her to transition from working late nights to early mornings, so the week transition period was necessary to be able to perform the work at her best potential. However, you've made it clear UC isn't much...all the more reason to suck it up and start when they want you to. Yes, it sucks UC will be delayed for that week that you worked, but at least you will have a job moving forward. You've been unemployed 9 months...unless you have valid reasoning for other obligations, be willing to start when they ask you to. From experience, most often they will pick a date that works best for them, not the next day. Often it's the beginning of a pay period, the 1st of the month or the beginning of a workweek or whenever they can provide training for you. Usually they'll give you a few days heads up, which should be plenty for you.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1
  • Author
That just doesn't look like 10 hours of daily "work" to me, it looks like 90 minutes (tops) of web searching, a few emails, and the biggest part of the day free to go for a walk, bike ride, play a computer game, or other low cost leisure activity.

#3 in particular has me in stitches. How many hours does that take and how specifically are they spent? For me, saving money consists of mostly *not* doing things, and doesn't take up much actual time at all. But then you figured a haircut wold take all day so maybe we operate at different speeds.

Right now I;m sitting here with a calculator and a glass of juice trying to figure out what bills to pay because the money that I received is so small. And yes I have leisure time after my 10am to 6pm day of job hunt related activities ends

To me vacation means

1. Going shopping

2. Traveling

3. No stress

4. Fun and excitement

Not

1. seeking jobs online

2. going on interviews

So we obvously have different defintions of vacations

Vacations are some of the most stressful times..

I always feel like I need a vacation after going on vacation...

Lunch breaks are for shopping.. that and after work...

I have fun and excitement each and every day.. and I go to work everyday.

I de-stress on the WEEKENDS....

I think you are under thinking things...

You need a freaking job not a vacation.

• Like 2
Right now I;m sitting here with a calculator and a glass of juice trying to figure out what bills to pay because the money that I received is so small. And yes I have leisure time after my 10am to 6pm day of job hunt related activities ends

Something tells me you will need to make that last check go pretty far...

How did the interview go ?

No kidding.

I used to own a nice business. We interviewed and hired people. I am quite sure that this lazy, entitled and sour attitude would come through in an interview and you, OP, would not have ever been offered a job in our business.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you might want to take a look at it.

I noticed all of your negativity in your other thread about how "rude" it was for the person who had extended themselves to help you find a job not to contact you as you would have liked, as well.

If you end up in a place where you would be filled with gratitude to be offered a job, and enthusiasm to do your best at it, it would show.

Why do you have to travel all day to get to a hairdresser, anyway?

• Like 1

Not only that but shouldn't have his haircut BEFORE the interview?:confused:

• Like 2
  • Author

How did the interview go ?

The interview is next wednesday which is why I refuse to take it seriously. I called on Monday morning to schedule the interview when I missed the guy on friday and when he called me back on Monday afternoon he said he is booked up the rest of the week and can interview me next wednesday:confused:

So they may find their person way before i come in so I will call next week on Tuesday to make sure they are still looking. No point in just showing up and get there to find out he forgot I was on the schedule and the position is filled

• Like 1
  • Author
No kidding.

I used to own a nice business. We interviewed and hired people. I am quite sure that this lazy, entitled and sour attitude would come through in an interview and you, OP, would not have ever been offered a job in our business.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you might want to take a look at it.

I noticed all of your negativity in your other thread about how "rude" it was for the person who had extended themselves to help you find a job not to contact you as you would have liked, as well.

If you end up in a place where you would be filled with gratitude to be offered a job, and enthusiasm to do your best at it, it would show.

That person I;m talking about still has not contacted me after I sent a email last Friday asking her to call me because I have a question. So I don't know what to think now, why the hell is she telling my cousin...."i won't stop until I find him a job" and then not responding to my emails.???

Makes no damm sense

[it was a problem when] I started in the middle of a pay period...[since it] meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check....

Seriously? You feel you're better off starting on Day 15, and getting a full semimonthly check on Day 30, then you would be if you started on Day 7 and got a 1 week check on Day 15 and then the semimonthly check on Day 30? (Or whatever the detail is for payroll laws in your state.) You don't see that in the first case, the potential pay from Day 7 to Day 15 can never be recouped?

To me vacation means

1. Going shopping

2. Traveling

3. No stress

4. Fun and excitement

...all things that you either (a) do after you have earned it by working hard for a time, or (b) do with a positive attitude whenever the opportunity presents itself no matter what your situation, if you have the right outlook.

Incidentally, if the UC check is so small, why are you willing to give up a whole week of earning power in a prospective new job, just to get an extra week (or two?) of UC benefits? At the end of the month, when you add it all up, won't you be better off financially starting the "real" job as soon as possible?

And if your financial situation is really causing you that much stress - if you are actually at the point of deciding which bills to pay and which to put off until later - then it sounds like taking an unpaid week or two off for a "no stress, fun and excitement vacation" isn't really going to work out so well, if those bills are sitting unpaid over your head the whole time, waiting for you to start earning a real salary so you can pay them.

I don't know - I think it's clear that if you are truly desperate for a job, then the answer to "when can you start" is "as soon as you need me, I can be here." And even though I don't share your attitude, if it really works out well, mentally, financially, etc. for you to take a week or more off before you start, then I hope that goes your way as well. Best of luck.

• Like 1
Seriously? You feel you're better off starting on Day 15, and getting a full semimonthly check on Day 30, then you would be if you started on Day 7 and got a 1 week check on Day 15 and then the semimonthly check on Day 30? (Or whatever the detail is for payroll laws in your state.) You don't see that in the first case, the potential pay from Day 7 to Day 15 can never be recouped?

Yeah, that's my thing - work the math. In the long run, if the UC benefit is so small, then even if one can manage to squeeze an "extra" 2-week UC payment by delaying the start date (which just feels wrong to me anyway, but that's another discussion...), it's hard to imagine that once you count in the lost time of "real" earnings due to that delayed start, that you end up in any better financial situation.

• Like 1
  • Author

Had a phone interview tonight for this job and she was going to scheduled the face to face interview for Monday but I couldn't go because the position requires you to have a car.

Oh well, on to the next