As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Thanks. I wasn't sure if was doing the right thing! Does it go in the Training part then?

Be careful with whose advice you take in the future.

I hope you have put the volunteer work down on your application because it definitely looks better than looking as if you were unemployed. Most employers safe to say will have a much more favourable view of someone who is actively looking for work and is actively working (albeit for free) than someone who is potentially sitting on the couch scratching their backside all day (which is what the poster whose advice you listened to comes across as)

• Like 1
  • Author
Be careful with whose advice you take in the future.

I hope you have put the volunteer work down on your application because it definitely looks better than looking as if you were unemployed. Most employers safe to say will have a much more favourable view of someone who is actively looking for work and is actively working (albeit for free) than someone who is potentially sitting on the couch scratching their backside all day (which is what the poster whose advice you listened to comes across as)

Why do you assume that someone who is unemployed for 10 months or more is sitting on the couch? Do you know how stupid you sound? Have you ever thought that the person is in a certain field and trying to get another job in that area? A out of work accountant is not going to look for work in the retail field. And that's the challenging part of being unemployed because if you been in a certain field for 10 years you just don't JUMP OUT of it. It takes time and it also takes time to go into a new field.

So please refrain from making retarded comments because someone has been out of work for a while. You can't be sitting on your couch if you pay rent.

Why do you assume that someone who is unemployed for 10 months or more is sitting on the couch? Do you know how stupid you sound? Have you ever thought that the person is in a certain field and trying to get another job in that area? A out of work accountant is not going to look for work in the retail field. And that's the challenging part of being unemployed because if you been in a certain field for 10 years you just don't JUMP OUT of it. It takes time and it also takes time to go into a new field.

So please refrain from making retarded comments because someone has been out of work for a while. You can't be sitting on your couch if you pay rent.

The fact that I've known a few people who've gone from making 80k-100k a year to barely more than minimum wage at a retail job to make some extra cash after being unemployed for some time and just happy to have A JOB, makes you pale in comparison.

• Like 2

Nope, that's not a comment on your being unemployed, I was unemployed for a large part of 2009 as well, I know exactly how it works especially in recession.

It's your general attitude to work and your reluctance to get employed that sparked my comments. You pretend that you want a job but in fact you find any excuse to make it difficult for anyone to employ you.

No-one should take any advice you give.

• Like 3
The fact that I've known a few people who've gone from making 80k-100k a year to barely more than minimum wage at a retail job to make some extra cash after being unemployed for some time and just happy to have A JOB, makes you pale in comparison.

Absolutely, that's exactly my point.

• Author

ANd how <> can someone pay rent with a minimum wage job? You go ahead and keep laughing at people who are struggling and see what happens to you in the future

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Language
ANd how <> can someone pay rent with a minimum wage job? You go ahead and keep laughing at people who are struggling and see what happens to you in the future

how can you pay rent with NO job? at least minimum wage is something until you find something better. most people need to work for a living, even if the pay is low. you take what you can get until you find something better.

Edited quote
  • Like 1
how can you pay rent with NO job? at least minimum wage is something until you find something better. most people need to work for a living, even if the pay is low. you take what you can get until you find something better.

Apparently unemployment pays him better than a minimum wage job. :confused: One of the many things I never understood about his country's government.

• Like 1
Apparently unemployment pays him better than a minimum wage job. :confused: One of the many things I never understood about his country's government.

The problem is partly that unemployment is MEANT to be a short term cushion insurance while securing a new job, but it keeps getting extended. If you're staring at the end of your gravy train it's a lot easier to get off your ass and get a job unloading trucks.

• Like 1

FYI, for the last 5 years I've been living off barely more than minimum wage that won't even cover half my rent here. The difference is that myself and others here choose not to have the poor me attitude and take whatever job we can in this economy until we find something better. It's better than NO JOB. There are a lot of limits on UC, which is why people will take just about anything right now. I think $1500 monthly is the cap on UC, so almost any job would be better.

The problem is partly that unemployment is MEANT to be a short term cushion insurance while securing a new job, but it keeps getting extended. If you're staring at the end of your gravy train it's a lot easier to get off your ass and get a job unloading trucks.

Honestly, I think people should not be allowed to get unemployment unless they can prove physical or mental disability, period. They don't have to starve, they should be provided with a homeless shelter to live in and food stamps to subsist on, but it's ridiculous to pay them more than minimum wage workers when they're not even doing anything. Given the choice between running around all day as a waiter and getting less than sitting around at home all day... hmmm... what a tough choice... ;)

• Like 1
FYI, for the last 5 years I've been living off barely more than minimum wage that won't even cover half my rent here. The difference is that myself and others here choose not to have the poor me attitude and take whatever job we can in this economy until we find something better. It's better than NO JOB. There are a lot of limits on UC, which is why people will take just about anything right now. I think $1500 monthly is the cap on UC, so almost any job would be better.

$1500 monthly is something like 150 hours of minimum wage depending on where you live, and is $500 more than I used to survive on as a student. It is absolutely plenty, especially if you don't have to ever, ever consider working (so you can live far away from the city, don't need transport, or clothes, or classes to better your skills, etc). I'm quite aghast that the USA is putting out that much for people like the OP. Seriously, how about doing something useful with that money like better healthcare or free tertiary education?

• Like 1
Honestly, I think people should not be allowed to get unemployment unless they can prove physical or mental disability, period. They don't have to starve, they should be provided with a homeless shelter to live in and food stamps to subsist on, but it's ridiculous to pay them more than minimum wage workers when they're not even doing anything. Given the choice between running around all day as a waiter and getting less than sitting around at home all day... hmmm... what a tough choice... ;)

Well people who are employed are forced to pay into a fund for UC, so I have no issue with that paying out for a short term, it's why we pay IN. But when it becomes a form of welfare, I have issues with it, just as you note. When it runs out, get in a soup line, take a sh*t job, or try to get some other assistance if you legitimately qualify for it.

• Like 1
$1500 monthly is something like 150 hours of minimum wage depending on where you live, and is $500 more than I used to survive on as a student.

If anyone wants to pay me $1500 a month I'll go back to drinking beer and scuba diving in Southeast Asia. No problem.