Why Do People think Lowly Of Hookers?

threebyfate
It is gross according to you. Others might feel differently.
I don't disagree that it's perceptional. But the way people are validating hookers and hooking in this thread, you'd think they walk on water and were crucified to save everyone's soul.
  • Like 1
I don't disagree that it's perceptional. But the way people are validating hookers and hooking in this thread, you'd think they walk on water and were crucified to save everyone's soul.

Really? I see hardly any posts, except maybe Leigh's, that suggest hooking is even 'good' in any way. Who is acting as though it's a higher calling?

At any rate, it's better than loads of so-called 'respectable' careers. At least most hookers aren't cheating anyone out of anything, destroying the planet, enforcing poor labor standards that hurt workers, etc, etc. They are evading taxes, but it's not as though they're given a choice on that.

• Like 1

Nobody is saying any of that. I said that it except for sexual slavery which should be stamped out hard prostitution is very much an honest profession. You pay a fee and you get sex. That is much more honorable to me than marrying a guy for his money and divorcing him later or using a woman for sex when she thinks there is more to it. In prostitution both parties know exactly what the score is.

• Like 1
threebyfate
I don't think anyone is suggesting individuals 'must' view it in a positive way.
Okay...

I do think it's wrong to say it's immoral
You're moralizing while giving others crap for moralizing.

or make it illegal, because legalizing someone's individual views of morality or imposing social morality on an entire society is rather "gross" to me.
I fully support decriminalizing prostitution but that doesn't change my perception that it's a gross occupation. Ew. Swapping bodily fluids with strangers and engaging in acts of demeaning sex. :sick:

I don't feel duty-bound to think hooking is a particularly good or productive occupation, but I really don't see how it's different from many professions no one blinks an eye at that are far grosser. At least most hookers aren't cheating anyone out of anything.
Nowhere have I suggested there aren't other gross or annoying occupations. Telemarketing is an occupation that pisses me off.

As far as hookers not cheating with anyone, they're just like the other person when it comes to married men or women. Culpable in situations of cheating, much like the gettaway car driver is culpable in robberies.

• Like 2
threebyfate
Nobody is saying any of that. I said that it except for sexual slavery which should be stamped out hard prostitution is very much an honest profession. You pay a fee and you get sex. That is much more honorable to me than marrying a guy for his money and divorcing him later or using a woman for sex when she thinks there is more to it. In prostitution both parties know exactly what the score is.
I'm all for legalizing prostitution but this doesn't mean I support gold digging of any variety.
  • Like 1
I'm all for legalizing prostitution but this doesn't mean I support gold digging of any variety.

Prostitution is not gold digging anymore than selling any service or product is.

threebyfate
Prostitution is not gold digging anymore than selling any service or product is.
This is a logical fail. Becoming a trophy wife (who's essentially a prostitute) and prostitution are the same. Sex for money.
This is a logical fail. Becoming a trophy wife (who's essentially a prostitute) and prostitution are the same. Sex for money.

Women who dig for gold don't do it honestly. They make a man think she loves them then one day she leaves him and takes him to the cleaners. He keeps paying long after the sex is over. Except for delusional idiots men are under no illusion that a hooker loves him and once he pays for sex he doesn't pay until the next time. There are no hidden surprises while there are tons of nasty surprises once a woman decides to cash her marriage in.

threebyfate
Women who dig for gold don't do it honestly. They make a man think she loves them then one day she leaves him and takes him to the cleaners. He keeps paying long after the sex is over. Except for delusional idiots men are under no illusion that a hooker loves him and once he pays for sex he doesn't pay until the next time. There are no hidden surprises while there are tons of nasty surprises once a woman decides to cash her marriage in.
As if men don't get fooled by hookers. The stereotype of hooker with the golden heart aka Pretty Woman didn't come from nowhere. :rolleyes:
As if men don't get fooled by hookers. The stereotype of hooker with the golden heart aka Pretty Woman didn't come from nowhere. :rolleyes:

Most men don't buy that crap plus mostly women liked that movie.

Actually, the stereotype of the prostitute (/coquette) with the golden heart is a theme that has existed through the ages, and I am sure many people can recognize such women in religious scriptures as well.

Needless to say that these "women" (or rather the state- / church-sanctioned imagery of them) often served ideological purposes to justify the "natural order" of things.

Typically, as far as I can tell (and statistics are obviously imperfect when polling illegal activity), there's no reason to believe most people who are prostitutes, whether street-corner or high-end (and obviously, we're looking at a big difference in safety, lifestyle, and all around in the profession and various types of prostitution) are f-ed up, dysfunctional, or were abused. The key factor in leading them to such choices would be economic problems and a lack of opportunity, which most of the lower class face today in America. Or, additionally, with higher-class prostitutes a lack of opportunity at the same economic level AND a liking for the job. I don't really think ALL forms of prostitution are undertaken for the same reason, but I've seen no correlation in any type between dysfunctional childhoods (except the dysfunction naturally caused by poverty) and abuse and prostitution. Most prostitutes were not abused as children and most people who are abused as children do not become prostitutes; some do, of course. Drug use/abuse is fairly common among prostitutes, especially those of a lower income/class, but that's also a more common social problem for impoverished circles, in general (not that middle class and rich people can't and don't use drugs --- they so totally do; they just don't get hit with the stats as though it's a 'problem' because they're far less likely to get arrested for drug use).

Very true. Certainly the idea of someone 'renting' their body out creeps me out a bit, which is why I don't respect 'the profession' (not the people). I don't respect loads of professions, though, like working on Wall Street (in trading, not on the actual street) or being a CFO that saves companies money by hiding taxes overseas, etc, etc.

Basically most jobs that take an MBA, I have the same respect for as I do prostitution or drug dealing or whatnot --- very little. Less, actually, as at least prostitutes and many drug dealers that aren't associated with gangs don't really harm society; prostitution and drug rings through gangs are a much bigger problem and such problems would be mitigated if such things were legalized.

I think everyone in the world is deeply judgmental, but I also think that's fine as you don't pose yourself as trying to "help" the people you judge OR try to legalize against them in some way that puts them at a societal disadvantage. No one has to associate with hookers or whatnot, and I don't have to associate with people who do things I disagree with either (there are seriously people I've refused to hang out with because of their jobs), but to discriminate against them in societal ways is a larger problem. I'm not sure how anyone could say we didn't when we make prostitution illegal.

Prostitution Statistics and Rape - Physical Abuse of Prostitutes Common

Sexual Assault Commonplace Yet Rarely Prosecuted

By Linda Lowen, About.com Guide

See More About:

Wuornos.jpgAileen Wuornos

Florida DOC/Getty Images

Ads

Veterans Video GalleryFrom The Military To Adversity. Hear Real Stories Of Veterans.MakeTheConnection.net

Best 5 Dating Sites 2012The Official Results Are In! Find the Best Rated Dating Sites.www.Consumer-Rankings.com/Dating

Meet Singles over 50Greater Los Angeles Area Dating Relationship-minded Singles Only!MatureProfessionalSingles.org

Women's Issues Ads

Ads

Trauma and PTSD TreatmentResidential Treatment Focused on Trauma, PTSD, Depression and Grief.www.therefuge-ahealingplace.com

Over 50 Dating OnlineJoin & Meet Mature Singles In Your Area Online. Become A Member Now!www.OurTime.com

For women who are prostitutes, rape is every bit as traumatic as it is for women who are not sex workers. It may even be more painful, as the act reopens old wounds and buried memories of unbearable abuse. In fact, prostitutes demonstrate many of the same characteristics as soldiers returning from the battlefield.

In the 1990s, researchers Melissa Farley and Howard Barkan conducted a study on prostitution, violence against women and post traumatic stress disorder, interviewing 130 San Francisco prostitutes. Their findings indicate assault and rape are all too commonplace:

Eighty-two percent of these respondents reported having been physically assaulted since entering prostitution. Of those who had been physically assaulted, 55% had been assaulted by customers. Eighty-eight percent had been physically threatened while in prostitution, and 83% had been physically threatened with a weapon....Sixty-eight percent...reported having been raped since entering prostitution. Forty-eight percent had been raped more than five times. Forty-six percent of those who reported rapes stated that they had been raped by customers.

Painful Past

As the researchers note, other studies have proven again and again that most women who work as prostitutes have been physically or sexually abused as children. Farley and Barkan’s findings not only confirm this fact but also highlight that for some, abuse begins so early that the child is not able to comprehend what is happening to her:

Fifty-seven percent reported a history of childhood sexual abuse, by an average of 3 perpetrators. Forty-nine percent of those who responded reported that as children, they had been hit or beaten by a caregiver until they had bruises or were injured in some way...Many seemed profoundly uncertain as to just what "abuse" is. When asked why she answered "no" to the question regarding childhood sexual abuse, one woman whose history was known to one of the interviewers said: "Because there was no force, and, besides, I didn't even know what it was then - I didn't know it was sex."

Unfair Game

Writing in the Criminal Practice Law Report, Dr. Phyllis Chesler, Emerita Professor of Psychology and Women's Studies at City University of New York, describes the violence that permeates the life of a prostitute and why it’s rare for her to report a rape:

Prostituted women have long been considered "fair game" for
, rape, gang-rape, "kinky" sex, robbery, and beatings....A 1991 study by the Council for Prostitution Alternatives, in Portland, Oregon, documented that 78 percent of 55 prostituted women reported being raped an average of 16 times annually by their pimps and 33 times a year by johns. Twelve rape complaints were made in the criminal justice system and neither pimps nor johns were ever convicted. These prostitutes also reported being "horribly beaten" by their pimps an average of 58 times a year. The frequency of beatings...by johns ranged from I to 400 times a year. Legal action was pursued in 13 cases, resulting in 2 convictions for "aggravated assault."

The 1990 Florida Supreme Court Gender Bias Report states that "prostitution is not a victimless crime... Prostitute rape is rarely reported, investigated, prosecuted or taken seriously."

Serial Killer...or Self Defense?

Chesler cites these statistics as she reviews the 1992 trial of Aileen Wuornos , a woman the media dubbed "the first female serial killer." A prostitute accused of killing five men in Florida, Wuornos' crimes - as Chesler argues - were mitigated by her past history and the situation surrounding her first murder, committed in self-defense.

Wuornos, a seriously abused child and a serially raped and beaten teenage and adult prostitute, has been under attack all her life, probably more than any soldier in any real war. In my opinion, Wuornos's testimony in the first trial was both moving and credible as she described being verbally threatened, tied up, and then brutally raped...by Richard Mallory. According to Wuornos, she agreed to have sex for money with Mallory on the night of November 30, 1989. Mallory, who was intoxicated and stoned, suddenly turned vicious.

What Lies Beneath

Chesler states that the jury was denied an important tool in understanding the mindset of Aileen Wuornos - the testimony of expert witnesses. Among those who had agreed to testify on her behalf were a psychologist, a psychiatrist, experts in prostitution and violence against prostitutes, experts in child abuse, battery, and rape trauma syndrome. Chesler indicates their testimony was necessary

...to educate the jury about the routine and horrendous sexual, physical, and psychological violence against prostituted women...the long-term consequences of extreme trauma, and a woman's right to self-defense. Given how often prostituted women are raped, gang raped, beaten, robbed, tortured, and killed, Wuornos's claim that she killed Richard Mallory in self-defense is at least plausible.

History of Violence

As is often the case with rape and assault, the perpetrator never commits the crime just once. Wuornos's rapist had a history of sexual violence against women; Richard Mallory had been incarcerated in Maryland for many years as a sex offender. Yet, as Chesler explains:

...the jury never got to hear any evidence about Mallory's history of violence toward prostitutes, or about violence toward prostitutes in general, which might have helped them evaluate Wuornos's much-derided claim of self-defense.

Final Sentence

As Chesler notes, the jury of five men and seven women deliberating Wuornos' fate took only 91 minutes to find her guilty and 108 minutes to recommend she be given the death penalty for the murder of ex-convict Richard Mallory. Aileen Carol Wuornos was executed by lethal injection on October 9, 2002.

Answer from KathyM:

Prostitutes are MOST DEFINATELY more likely to have been abused as children. I have studied this fact in many university classes I've taken about violence against women and children. Statistics from actual studies show that 57% of prostitutes have been sexually abused as children. 49% of prostitutes have been physically abused as children. In the article I posted above, those figures are given. That is also what I have learned in several college classes.

When you say prostitution does not harm someone, that really is not true. It harms the women and children whose families are damaged or destroyed because of a woman's choice of this "profession". It harms the prostitutes themselves because it puts their safety and health at risk, and keeps them in a lifestyle that is emotionally and psychologically damaging.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that legalizing it would prevent this harm. Families would still be harmed. Women are often trafficked into countries where prostitution is legal in order to maintain the supply. :sick:

Trying to help prostitutes out of a destructive lifestyle is not discriminating against them.

threebyfate
Most men don't buy that crap plus mostly women liked that movie.
I hated the movie and don't really care what other people like. As well, most men not buying into that crap is a load of crap. There have been many men who've been fooled by hookers, same as men who've been fooled by gold diggers of any variety.

Actually, the stereotype of the prostitute (/coquette) with the golden heart is a theme that has existed through the ages, and I am sure many people can recognize such women in religious scriptures as well.

Needless to say that these "women" (or rather the state- / church-sanctioned imagery of them) often served ideological purposes to justify the "natural order" of things.

Can you expand on the term "natural order"?
Okay...

You're moralizing while giving others crap for moralizing.

I'm not imposing my morality on anyone else --- I'm suggesting we not speak of morality. "Wrong" has several meanings, and in this case, I mean it's incorrect to say it's "immoral" as nothing is technically immoral, except as defined by particular codes of morality, which we cannot necessarily agree upon.

I fully support decriminalizing prostitution but that doesn't change my perception that it's a gross occupation. Ew. Swapping bodily fluids with strangers and engaging in acts of demeaning sex. :sick:

I find it distasteful as well.

As far as hookers not cheating with anyone, they're just like the other person when it comes to married men or women. Culpable in situations of cheating, much like the gettaway car driver is culpable in robberies.

We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, the only person culpable in cheating (paid or unpaid) is the person who has the SO. I never blame the OW/OM. However, I do think being an OW/OM is often an unhealthy dynamic and they are to blame if the wronged party is a friend of theirs, etc, but they made no vows or commitments that they're breaking and stealing someone's mate is not a crime in my eyes. If someone wants to try and steal my husband away, they're welcome to try. It's HIS responsibility to remain faithful, not anyone else's.

"Natural order" is not a constant, but is dependent on the cultural tradition of a society. Eg. the Roman "Pater familias", who for most legal purposes owned his wife. You see a similar "natural order" construed in all religions (Christianity, Islam). As such women knew their place, and men knew their place as well. Societies in general produce an ideology that allows society to reproduce itself.

Ideology is a very powerful tool. Women questioning their position in Roman society or Medieval Europe naturally was not par for the course. Even the women's movement(s) was greatly inspired by the changing circumstances women found themselves in.

By portraying women as being the weaker / more irrational (closer to nature, if we go by Rousseau) sex, while at the same time stressing the natural virtues of women, society has the ideological ammunition to allocate women certain positions within that society.

You could also look at the history of the changing conception of say Mary Magdalene in Christianity through 2000 years of history.

somedude81

Anybody have data that shows that the majority of John's are married men?

BTW as Woggle said, most men who cheat don't do it with hookers. It will either be somebody he already knows or somebody he met at a bar. Heck, one of my cousins had an affair with a woman he met at church...

. My impression from reading articles is that the clear majority of prostitutes are trafficked/forced.

What articles?

More importantly, what countries?

Even in today's economy there are other jobs, they are simply difficult and low-paying. It's not a choice between prostitution or no job, it's a choice between making more and easier money in prostitution or making less in a different job. Very few people are truly starving or homeless, so what this often comes down to is the choice of having money for a lavish lifestyle and drugs or not.

Yeah a girl can make $9 doing unskilled work, work 40 hours and make $1,440 a month before taxes.

A hooker can charge $200 an hour and only needs to see 7 clients to make that much in a month.

Then there is the question of what a prostitute does for her own love life. Have you ever met a guy who would really be happy having a prostitute as a serious girlfriend? How about a wife? How would most men feel about having a prostitute as the mother of their children (presumably after careful paternity tests)? It's difficult for me to imagine most prostitutes having a very satisfying personal life.

IMO prostitution is not a career. It's something that should only be done for a few years. In that time, she probably shouldn't have a serious relationship.

Let's not forget the constant risk of STDs and unintended pregnancy, even with contraception.

That's a risk that is always there regardless if she is hooking or not.

Then we get to the men. The problem with prostitution for men is that it's like a drug. It's an easy sexual release with very little effort required. Once a man gets used to that, why would he want to put in the effort to deal with a real woman and the difficulties that go along with that? Why bother to try to fix his relationship with his wife when he has an easy answer? Why bother to make something better of himself so that real women will want to be with him? It's not exactly great for man's self-esteem either is it, knowing in his heart that he has to pay for sex because he's not man enough to get it on his own?

Because there is a difference between having sex with a hooker and having sex with somebody you love.
threebyfate
I'm not imposing my morality on anyone else --- I'm suggesting we not speak of morality. "Wrong" has several meanings, and in this case, I mean it's incorrect to say it's "immoral" as nothing is technically immoral, except as defined by particular codes of morality, which we cannot necessarily agree upon.
Why must we not moralize? It's an immoral and revolting occupation.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Definitively so.

To me, the only person culpable in cheating (paid or unpaid) is the person who has the SO. I never blame the OW/OM. However, I do think being an OW/OM is often an unhealthy dynamic and they are to blame if the wronged party is a friend of theirs, etc, but they made no vows or commitments that they're breaking and stealing someone's mate is not a crime in my eyes. If someone wants to try and steal my husband away, they're welcome to try. It's HIS responsibility to remain faithful, not anyone else's.
It was an analogy, although infidelity in some states is considered a crime where the betrayed wife can sue the other person under the "alienation of affection" clause. North Carolina is one such state with mega buck awards to betrayed spouses. Must admit I find this legal clause highly entertaining! :laugh:

"Natural order" is not a constant, but is dependent on the cultural tradition of a society. Eg. the Roman "Pater familias", who for most legal purposes owned his wife. You see a similar "natural order" construed in all religions (Christianity, Islam). As such women knew their place, and men knew their place as well. Societies in general produce an ideology that allows society to reproduce itself.

Ideology is a very powerful tool. Women questioning their position in Roman society or Medieval Europe naturally was not par for the course. Even the women's movement(s) was greatly inspired by the changing circumstances women found themselves in.

By portraying women as being the weaker / more irrational (closer to nature, if we go by Rousseau) sex, while at the same time stressing the natural virtues of women, society has the ideological ammunition to allocate women certain positions within that society.

You could also look at the history of the changing conception of say Mary Magdalene in Christianity through 2000 years of history.

Natural order when superimposed onto prostitution can be viewed multiple ways. Beyond the real victims who are forced into prostitution through sex trafficking, the hookers who voluntarily choose this profession since it's lucrative (which includes addicts, etc.), are basically reinforcing the "natural order" concept which in my opinion, don't deserve any respect.
  • Like 1
fortyninethousand322
Why do people think prostitutes are bad?

I know there is far more to life than beauty... but being able to have sex with a truly beautiful looking women, is something that many guys will never be able to do, without paying for it.

What is wrong with having a huge, overwhelming urge to have sex with a women, who is physically atttractive? It is a normal urge - and some guys simply are not attractive enough, or lack the personal attributes, in order to EVER have sex with a very attractve women.

In addition to being of service to men who simply can never get a very hot girl - hookers also serve young men, who want sex. Sex is natural. What about the men who lack the spcial skills to have rehular sex? Masturbating to a magazine for months on end may not cut it.

A lot of hookers have terrible lives and are addicted to drug. I feel terrible for ANY person who is suffering, and wish them the best.... -> but many have good lives and make quiet good money. They are unskilled at other things, and make more money by providing horny men with sex when they want it.

Perhaps they are skilled at other things, but CHOSE prostitution as the easiest and most desirable way to make cash?

I am not advocating girls become hookers. I would much rather women educate themselves and get skills that enable them to work. However, there is a much needed place for hookers! I think the world would be a worse place without ANY hookers - some men would be MUCH HAPPIER with them....

.. I just don't think men who can never have sex with a gorgeous girl, should be denied this huge urge,, that is very strong in some men. On the other hand, I think the industry can give terrible outcomes for many of the girls......

Why not make there enough hookers for needy men, without having excessive amounts, that run around on drugs and leading a bad life?

After thinking about it, I view prostitutes the same I view people who choose to play professional football. Sure there are occupational hazards inherent to the industry, but honestly, which is worse: having sex with several different men for money or being hit in the head repeatedly over several years until your brains are nothing more than scrambled eggs?

I think the reason people are disgusted by prostitutes is because they themselves could never consider that kind of life.

Why must we not moralize? It's an immoral and revolting occupation.

It's only immoral in your opinion. It is wrong (factually wrong, as in completely incorrect) to say it is immoral as a fact, as nothing is. Or revolting, really. You can certainly say YOU think it is immoral, but too often people say something is immoral without understanding that morality is always a matter of opinion.

I don't care if someone considers it against THEIR moral code. It just seems too many people act as though their moral code should be imposed upon others, which is completely wrong---as in utterly incorrect.

Beyond the real victims who are forced into prostitution through sex trafficking, the hookers who voluntarily choose this profession since it's lucrative (which includes addicts, etc.), are basically reinforcing the "natural order" concept which in my opinion, don't deserve any respect.

Absolutely agreed. The reproduction of the ideological idea depends on it occurring (or at least the idea of it occurring). The same with working your way up in the US, the American Dream. It is still a powerful myth, but the myth is increasingly under pressure as social mobility becomes more and more restricted in the US.

Mary Magdalena is not by any stretch of the imagination portrayed in the same way throughout the past 2,000 years. And it is when the accents change that these changes may be reflective of changes in the society in which Mary Magdalene was idealized (or idolized).

It is rather that the views on prostitution serve to legitimize the "natural order". And this particular "natural order" certainly is not something that should be upheld as a goal or a lofty standard.

However, the reality is, that our economies are increasingly failing the ordinary citizens. In extreme cases, you can look at places like Thailand, and some republics that where part of the former USSR / East Bloc.

In less extreme cases, you will be looking at the US, where more and more women will be deprived of an opportunity to build a better life for themselves, unless they f*ck themselves through college.

As long as that does not get addressed we are not really helping prostitution out of this world.

Most married men don't go to prostitutes, but the married men who visit prostitutes are bad people. They are dishonest and deceptive to their wives, and are breaking their vows while expecting their wife to uphold her vows, and putting their wife at risk of contracting an STD, possibly an uncurable one. At the time of marriage, the wife had no idea her husband was going to do this, obviously, or there would have been no marriage.

Quality control is a great reason to legalize it. Prostitutes have to get tested. On some level I think some women are against it out of fear that they lose the trump card of sex. When you really look at it some women all they have is the promise of sex to manipulate a guy. I mean there will still be some suckers but there will be less of them. One another level being a prostitute can be empowering to women. Really think about it. You a woman going against traditional societal norms and using your sexuality to make money. Hell you buy products that are promoted by using a subtle form of sexuality.

You guys really can't whitewash a profession like this. It is harmful to the families of the consumers, and since most of the customers of prostitutes are married men, those families are negatively affected, and many are destroyed as a result. It is also harmful to the women involved. I had researched this topic in depth, and have taken several college classes on the abuse of women. It is a fact that most women who go into prostitution were victims of sexual abuse (57%) or physical abuse (49%) as children. I posted an article showing these statistics, but unfortunately, the moderators are reviewing it and have not posted it yet. But you can do your own research if you don't want to accept those statistics at face value. Many prostitutes are forced into the profession as well, either through trafficking, or through coersion. The article also stated that 82% of prostitutes are raped by their customers. Many are beaten. Even in countries where it is legalized, women are trafficked. It's time you men stopped supporting a destructive industry, and I'm dismayed, to say the least, that some of the women on here are supporting it.

• Like 1
fortyninethousand322
You guys really can't whitewash a profession like this. It is harmful to the families of the consumers, and since most of the customers of prostitutes are married men, those families are negatively affected, and many are destroyed as a result. It is also harmful to the women involved. I had researched this topic in depth, and have taken several college classes on the abuse of women. It is a fact that most women who go into prostitution were victims of sexual abuse (57%) or physical abuse (49%) as children. I posted an article showing these statistics, but unfortunately, the moderators are reviewing it and have not posted it yet. But you can do your own research if you don't want to accept those statistics at face value. Many prostitutes are forced into the profession as well, either through trafficking, or through coersion. The article also stated that 82% of prostitutes are raped by their customers. Many are beaten. Even in countries where it is legalized, women are trafficked. It's time you men stopped supporting a destructive industry, and I'm dismayed, to say the least, that some of the women on here are supporting it.

Crimes that have clear victims should be prosecuted. Assault, murder, theft. Those are the crimes that should be punished.

Consenting adults should not be prosecuted for having sex, even if money was exchanged. This is really no different than the drug war, IMO.

What articles?

More importantly, what countries?

How about this one from the US government:

http://2001-2009.state.gov/documents/organization/38901.pdf

“A 2003 study first published in the scientific Journal of Trauma Practice found that 89 percent of women in prostitution want to escape.”

And, here's one from the UK:

Trafficking & prostitution - The Facts - End Violence Against Women

3 out of 4 women in prostitution become involved aged 21 or younger, and 1 in 2 aged 18 or younger (Child & Woman Abuse Studies Unit)

Surely we can agree that girls under the age of 18 cannot morally or legally consent to prostitution?

And, here's one from Spain:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/07/world/europe/young-men-flock-to-spain-for-sex-with-trafficked-prostitutes.html?pagewanted=all

“While the rest of Spain’s economy may be struggling, experts say that prostitution — almost all of it involving the ruthless trafficking of foreign women — is booming, exploding into public view in small towns and big cities. “

“The State Department’s 2010 report on trafficking said that 200,000 to 400,000 women worked in prostitution in Spain. The report said that 90 percent were trafficked.”

IMO prostitution is not a career. It's something that should only be done for a few years. In that time, she probably shouldn't have a serious relationship.

Is that what really happens? I suggest you read those three articles I posted, and maybe a few more like them. I think you may have an idealized view of how prostitution should be in your mind, which is very different from how it actually is.

That's a risk that is always there regardless if she is hooking or not.

Because there is a difference between having sex with a hooker and having sex with somebody you love.

There is zero risk of STDs between healthy monogamous partners, and for pregnancy even if unintended it's not nearly such a problem.

Do you really believe that having sex with a hooker is the same as having sex with someone you love?

Sex is strongly bonding emotionally, it biochemically forces to people to love and trust each other, and to be very very vulnerable to each other. Not always immediately and not every time, but that's the strong tendency. The whole idea is to find someone you love so that you can trust them with your heart that way.

Scott

somedude81
most of the customers of prostitutes are married men,

Do you have a source?