If you believe in God...

• 2 weeks later...
worldgonewrong
Again, how does a god that can't actually die, sacrifice itself?

It is a sacrifice because rather than putting Himself outside of free will and saving His own ass and sparing Himself physical pain -- He chose to put Himself through the torture and death that had been foreseen. That is, the pain that preceded and ushered in his death. Death on the cross was a looong torturous punishment.

• 2 weeks later...
It is a sacrifice because rather than putting Himself outside of free will and saving His own ass and sparing Himself physical pain -- He chose to put Himself through the torture and death that had been foreseen. That is, the pain that preceded and ushered in his death. Death on the cross was a looong torturous punishment.

It's a nice story, but that's what it is: a story. God didn't write the Bible; humans did, and there is quite a lot of evidence that there's more than one author. There's even strong forensic evidence, according to a computerized program that specifically analyzes text for styles of writing.

I think that there's a lot of wisdom that comes from the Bible, but it's time for people to start acknowledging that it's a story, not the word of God.

Trojan John

You miss the point. If I were a god, I could crucify myself a thousand times and it would be of no real consequence because I am a god and can heal/resurrect myself a thousand times. I could do any bloody thing that I wanted to do, whereas for a human suffering and loss are relatively permanent, real, unchangable things. This god sacrifice is more like a minor inconvenience.