If you believe in God...

Feelin Frisky
I had no idea you were a Moron. A couple of American Momons over here in the UK tried to snare me about a week ago. Not sure if you've seen my thread on it or not.

Hahahahahahahaha. I hope that was a Fredudian slip. You did mean Mormon and not Moron, right?

Butter, I have a strong feeling that if you were in a life or death situation you'll be shouting "OH please God help me!". I bet. Try it. :)

dreamingoftigers
I had no idea you were a Moron. A couple of American Momons over here in the UK tried to snare me about a week ago. Not sure if you've seen my thread on it or not.

I am not a moron, not so sure about you though. :laugh:

And yeah the young guys get a little over-exuberant.

By the time I was 25 and still hadn't found that "true man of God," common sense kicked in. Unless I want to risk never having sex my whole life simply because I may never get married, I went on did it before marriage. I'm so glad I stopped waiting for God!!

How is the relationship going? the one that you didn't wait

Hahahahahahahaha. I hope that was a Fredudian slip. You did mean Mormon and not Moron, right?

Lol, yes, I ment Mormon. I had no idea I had said moron until I read your post just now. I also said 'Momon' straight after too.

Just typos. :o

I am not a moron, not so sure about you though. :laugh:

And yeah the young guys get a little over-exuberant.

How come you don't wear funny clothes? Is it okay for you to drive or are you supposed to travel about on a horse?

dreamingoftigers
How come you don't wear funny clothes? Is it okay for you to drive or are you supposed to travel about on a horse?

Oh Jeez. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I haven't had this one before.

No funny clothes although the church recommends no bare shoulders for women or skirts above the knee, just because it is distracting and we should have respect for our bodies and not use them as tools to be influential in immoral ways. No I don't think seeing a shoulder will cause the downfall of mankind, I do think that dress should be more modest then it is, and it sets a good line for dressing my little girl. She is going to be going to school soon and I would rather she not dress like a prostitute.

Guys dress in suits on Sunday (when I was younger it was awesome to date in the church! Love a man in a suit!)

I don't have a horse, I think you are confusing Mormon with Amish, Mennonite or one of the smaller 'Mormon' groups in Utah/Texas etc. who dress like its 1859.

I drive (sometimes I text at red lights too!). I have driven over 400,000 highway kms through 36 states, all 10 Canadian Provinces and 2 of 3 Territories (you can't drive to Nunavut).

On a serious note, I'd hardly say wearing a skirt above your knees means you don't respect your body.

Do you believe that yourself?

dreamingoftigers

I would say that by me wearing a skirt above my knees that it would mean that I didn't respect the optic nerves of others. :lmao:

Nah, they just recommend it not being distracting etc. I think depending on how much skin you are flashing it can show that you are looking for validation with your body instead of healthier means. I also think it is a good place to draw the line. Quite frankly it is hard enough for some guys to focus in church as it is.

• Author
Butterflying
How is the relationship going? the one that you didn't wait

It ended of course!! The same as all the others before and aftewards. That was years ago. I'm still not married. But at least I know what an orgasm feels like!!! :bunny:

DreamerGirl27

Jesus (God's son) died for our sins. He made the ultimate sacrifice FOR us, so we didn't have to. It's really that simple.

Trojan John
Jesus (God's son) died for our sins. He made the ultimate sacrifice FOR us, so we didn't have to. It's really that simple.

Again, how does a god that can't actually die, sacrifice itself?

alwaysagoodgirl

Jesus chose. He was not forced.

Remember the jews had the choice to release 1 prisoner on that day, they chose to release a rapist murderer. They chose for the son of god to be killed. Cesar didn't want to put Jesus to death, it was what the jewish crowd wanted. They chose his death for him. Cowards.

God isn't responsable for suffering in this world, we are. We do it to eachother. God has nothing to do with it.

TheLoneSock
If God sacrificed his only son (allowed him to be tortured, cruxified, ect) how could anyone possibly expect God to treat them any better? Christians are really saying "Yay! Some innocent guy was brutally murdered just so I could have a chance at spending an eternity in Heaven with God. And it's really like the lottery. You may not even be perfect enough to go there, in which case, Jesus' death will have been in vain. What a load of crap!!!!

God did not create us perfect. Jesus was the second Adam, and he paid for our original sin with his suffering. Through acceptance of Christ into your heart you can have a close relationship with God for eternity. It's not about expecting anything, it's about following his word and opening your heart to Him - that is all He asks.

TheLoneSock
Riddle me this:

A god creates his son, who is also somehow simultaneously himself, on the planet Earth. He knows that he is going to "die" and be resurrected again with all his godly powers. What did he actually sacrifice?

Because despite being God, He still chose to come and live a mortal man's life, and die a mortal man's death - in a very horrific manner. He chose to be a steward of our sins, which are inevitable because we are imperfect. Because of this we now have the choice to join Him in heaven at the end of time, through forgiveness.

TheLoneSock
Again, how does a god that can't actually die, sacrifice itself?

He sacrificed his mortal life. That does not remove him from existence, only from this earth. You don't have to understand it, and it's no one's job to make you. It's your choice.

Trojan John
He sacrificed his mortal life. That does not remove him from existence, only from this earth. You don't have to understand it, and it's no one's job to make you. It's your choice.

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse or maybe your working definition of 'sacrifice' is different from mine. Either way...

If I very publicly give everything I own away to charity one day, knowing that I will get it all back the next day, did I actually sacrifice anything? The answer is 'no'.

A god -- by most definitions all-powerful, supposedly capable splintering itself into three parts and knows all events past and future -- makes no sacrifice by knowingly marching to its own "death" then resurrecting itself days later.

If you are not actually losing anything, then you are not actually sacrificing anything. It's as simple as that.

TheLoneSock
I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse or maybe your working definition of 'sacrifice' is different from mine. Either way...

If I very publicly give everything I own away to charity one day, knowing that I will get it all back the next day, did I actually sacrifice anything? The answer is 'no'.

A god -- by most definitions all-powerful, supposedly capable splintering itself into three parts and knows all events past and future -- makes no sacrifice by knowingly marching to its own "death" then resurrecting itself days later.

If you are not actually losing anything, then you are not actually sacrificing anything. It's as simple as that.

Jesus and God are two different entities. Jesus is our God but he is not the God, he is the son of God. When we worship, we worship the trinity. At the time when Jesus sacrificed himself, he did not know everything about what God (his father) had planned for him. He was sent here to be tested throughout the course of his life and to, in the end, die for us and our sins. God knows that in order to rule, you must first learn to serve - so that was Jesus' mission. Like I said, you don't have to understand it - and it's no one's job to try and force you, especially when you are not even willing to in the first place.

Disillusioned
If God sacrificed his only son (allowed him to be tortured, cruxified, ect) how could anyone possibly expect God to treat them any better? Christians are really saying "Yay! Some innocent guy was brutally murdered just so I could have a chance at spending an eternity in Heaven with God. And it's really like the lottery. You may not even be perfect enough to go there, in which case, Jesus' death will have been in vain. What a load of crap!!!!

My aunt's idea of Heaven sounds a lot like North Korea. Or maybe like Ahmedinejad's Iran.

OTOH my idea of Heaven sounds like Haight-Ashbury in the 60s, only with more victimless crime.

alwaysagoodgirl

if I were a betting woman , It's more likely than not "a god" exsists.

I'm playin it safe. Even if in the end we find out no god existed at all. Living a decent life isn't a waste, it's more of a protection. IME

true enough ... but you're forgetting on very important factor in all this: Motivation. If Jesus died just because he could, because he knew he'd rise again to sit at the right hand of the Father, then it was all about him. Christians believe that the sacrifice he made was done out of love for us, for our spiritual well-being, that we'd enjoy everlasting life in the house of God. Huge difference. it wasn't about him, it was about us, about our needs. He didn't have to do it, because he knows how it all ends anyway, but he did because he loved us, and that's what makes it a true sacrifice: It's selflessness at its best.

does he lose anything by giving up his life on the cross? No, because Jesus will always be God and man, regardless of what action he chose. His gain was that he ensured everlasting life for generations of souls to come, and that's a true act of love, doing something for someone you haven't met yet ...

OTOH my idea of Heaven sounds like Haight-Ashbury in the 60s, only with more victimless crime.

I vote for the Texas Hill Country in the springtime, with bluebonnets and other wildflowers abounding!

Trojan John
Jesus and God are two different entities. Jesus is our God but he is not the God, he is the son of God. When we worship, we worship the trinity. At the time when Jesus sacrificed himself, he did not know everything about what God (his father) had planned for him. He was sent here to be tested throughout the course of his life and to, in the end, die for us and our sins. God knows that in order to rule, you must first learn to serve - so that was Jesus' mission. Like I said, you don't have to understand it - and it's no one's job to try and force you, especially when you are not even willing to in the first place.

I completely understand. I was a part of the Catholic church for about 20 years. What you don't understand is the meaning of the word "sacrifice". Not trying to be even remotely snide, but a dictionary can help you with this problem. Again, I pointed out that Jesus is a "god", and a part of your capital- G "god", and also that this god split itself into three. I know exactly what you worship and all you did was regurgitate my statements.

Jesus didn't know what was going on? According to Mark 8, verse 31, and John 10, verses 17-18, he did.

The problem with trying to understand your viewpoint is not that I am incapable or unwilling, it's that it lacks credibility -- even amongst other Christians. Not all of you believe in the trinity or worship Jesus as "God". The point, again, which you adroitly miss is that a god that can "die"and be "resurrected" ad infinitum because of its godly powers is making no sacrifice whatsoever.

Trojan John

true enough ... but you're forgetting on very important factor in all this: Motivation. If Jesus died just because he could, because he knew he'd rise again to sit at the right hand of the Father, then it was all about him. Christians believe that the sacrifice he made was done out of love for us, for our spiritual well-being, that we'd enjoy everlasting life in the house of God. Huge difference. it wasn't about him, it was about us, about our needs. He didn't have to do it, because he knows how it all ends anyway, but he did because he loved us, and that's what makes it a true sacrifice: It's selflessness at its best.

does he lose anything by giving up his life on the cross? No, because Jesus will always be God and man, regardless of what action he chose. His gain was that he ensured everlasting life for generations of souls to come, and that's a true act of love, doing something for someone you haven't met yet ...

Why was it necessary for god to splinter itself, then offer itself up as a bloody and brutal human sacrifice in order to 1) forgive humans of their ancestral sin, 2) grant people everlasting life, and 3) how can you possibly relate a brutal act of crucifixion with an act of love? It wasn't a choice on Jesus' (God's) part. It was his mandate, and an odd one at that.

Again, we all seem to have different working definitions of the word "sacrifice", and in this particular example we differ on what is and what is not an act of love.

I'm only human, but if I were a god I think that I could come up with a myriad of ways other than a blood sacrifice in order make things right with the world. I'm sure you could, too.