What foods do you avoid?

I've been trying to eat more raw foods. I watched a documentary recently and it said a diet that is over 50% raw is whats best for a person and it made sense. Although cooked foods like chicken and heated vegatables are still great.

• Author
I've been trying to eat more raw foods. I watched a documentary recently and it said a diet that is over 50% raw is whats best for a person and it made sense. Although cooked foods like chicken and heated vegatables are still great.

I met some raw vegans about 3 years ago, and starts to learn more about it - the basis theory behind it, is that the first food humans would have consumed would have been RAW - raw fruit, vegetables, grass, whatever we could find. We would not have been able to cook food right away.

Because humans first ate raw foods, before we started top eat cooked foods, raw vegans think that our bodies have NOT really changed much; apparently, our bodies are still best suited to process the raw foods, because our bodies have been dealing with those foods for the longest amount of time.

Personally, it makes sense to eat food when it is as close as possible to its raw, natural state; for instance, fresh spinach or lettuce that has been grown, picked, and washed = minimally processed.

The problem with using " raw" as the only criteria for the ideal diet, is this; if you watched FOOD INC, which I know GREEN has - tomatos MAY me "raw", but they ARE FAR different from how raw vegetables naturally occur in n ature.

Tomatoe's, for instance, are artificially grown inside and grown in an unatural manner - they are not grown outside in the grass, and picked when they naturally ripen. They are made to grow fast through means that DO NOT " naturally" occur in nature.

We EAT plenty of " raw foods" that ARE NOT the same as their raw counterparts that existed 20,000, or even 4000, years ago.

That is why I try to eat organic when possible.

GREEN - you may like to eat in a way that matches the raw, AND ALSO the "paleo" approach - it follows a way of eating that tries to be as similar to how humans ate in our early days - because there is some research that suggests that our bodies have are best adapted to eat the foods we ate in our early days.

Now, an artificially tomato or strawberry - two foods I know that, if not organic, are really artificially stimulated to grow - are no better than COOKED foods that have been grown more naturally ( such as organic spinach that is freshly pickedd and cooked).

On the other hand, some cooked foods, like chicken, meat, and fish, have been eaten for thousands of years - after all, we have learnt how to cook and eat animals as a means of survivial for long enough for our bodies to have adapted well to handle them.

It is just LOGICAL to eat food, in a state that is as close to how it is naturally found in nature - so I do not view cooked foods as HARMFUL, if it is naturally grown without excessive chemicals ot artificial stimulation - and freshly picked, and minimally transported before a person obtains the food.

I had a hand full of potato chips, and some chocolate at 3 am LOL -they are not ideal, and these foods are not found in nature in this state! They have been heavily processed to be a potato chip.

HOWEVER; I make exceptions for some treat foods; I do not think they are IDEAL, BUT..... I do not think certain procesed foods are HARMFUL.

Potato chips are a product that only contains: potatos, salt, and oil. These ingrdients are not totally harmful, EVEN THOUGH they have been heavily processed.

On the other hand, I will aviod a diet brownie or yoghurt that is LOW in fat, but has sugar, or artificial sugar, in addition to SEVERAL different chemicals all added to the ONE yoghurt.

And the chocolate I ate was raw - it is pure chocolate, with agave nectar, natural vanilla, and varioud flavours; I had sour cherry, which had dried cherries.

So I am a fun girl. I do not eat salads on dates - I will order pasta, but I will request " I just want p;lain pasta, in lots of olive oil, with some basic and garlic mixed in,m with cheese on top"

Because the pasta sauce always has sugar added and various chemicals unless it is freshly made.

SO I can easily have lovely pasta when diniing out, with nice olive oil and tasty cheese on top, WITHOUT ingesting ANY sugar or chemicals.

If going to an Asian type of place, I request " stir fried vegetables of my choice, with prawns and NO SAUCE, only OIL and fresh garlic added. Bottdles sauces ALWAYS contain sugar and chemicals, and home made ones have loads of sugar.

I also get to eat potato chips, and chocolate, and I make my own pizza and pastas to ansure the tomato sauce is full of flavour, yet sugar free.

So I eat pretty much what I want, I just eat smart. No one notices when I act for my pasta or stir fries how I want them, because I simply do my own thing, and do not make a fuss out of it.

People sometimes think I have goood : will power" for NOt conforming, and not eating exactly how " most normal people" eat. But it takes NO EXTRA EFFORT for me to avoid sugar or chemicals. It is easy. I know what to eat, and I do it.

I highly recommend people trying my apprroach a little - it honestly cured my acne, in addition to the pill. The pill alone regylated my hormones, but eating in this way REALLY saved my skin!!

I intend to finish my potato chips and chocolate, and have them with some red wine over the next few days. I definitly have FUN with food, but the way I do it allows me to have syperior skin, and to MAINTAIN a slim weight, because my body functions well WITHOUT awful chemicals and refined sugar on a daily basis.

Honestly - all breads, sauces, and even those diet, low calorie, packaged foods - packaged cookies, cakes, slices, bars - ALLLLL contain refined sugar and chemicals that are injected into the food via a science lab.

Potato chips, canned fish, and raw chocolate, and organic sugar free bottled pasta and pizza sauces are as processed as I will go - They are ALSO made in a factory...

I think the above treats I enjoy are FAR differert to how food is found in nature, but they are still one step better than actually injecting chemicals intot he food, and eating non foods.

This is the principle I am living by so far, and it works fairly well. Providing I eat more unprocessed, and less raw chocolate and potato chips, lol.

I just bought a bag of clementines. I love clementines, but they are hit and miss at the store in terms of sweetness. Thank God this bag is delicious and sweet! I've eaten 4 so far, I'm trying to be careful because I could easily go through the entire bag. :o

Leigh I still believe in eating cooked food like chickens and fish ect... I just want to eat more raw food like make it more 50/50 which shouldn't be to hard.

Why don't you eat salads when you are on a date????

Leigh, you sound a little craaaaazy.

You do know pasta is made from wheat flour right?

it depends any ways she is right about the sauce and pasta/olive oil/ and fresh sprinkle cheese is really tasty

The benefit of raw food is a template. Here's the breakdown.

Cooking can remove some nutritional components. So there is the loss.

Cooking can also make some components more digestible. This is a mixed bag. While good for beneficial components, it also makes anti-nutrients more accessible.

Basically, if you can't consume it raw, or if you have to cook it in order to get nutrition out of it, then it was not (maybe should not) be a part of natural human diet. With that said, there is no reason you should have to eat everything raw. The benefit of cooking (especially meats) far outweighs the drawback in minor nutrient loss.

As far as avoiding post agricultural foods, this is not a problem for many people. Unless you are suffering from an auto-immune deficiency, have a genetic predisposition for an auto-immune deficiency, or suffer from some other health problem like obesity or acne, you might not have to restrict your diet at all. I love food too, and besides being slightly unfit (I work 80 hours a week and eat for cheap instead of healthy), I have no need to restrict. And of course that doesn't mean that I won't develop a problem in the near future. Diet is all about prevention.

it depends any ways she is right about the sauce and pasta/olive oil/ and fresh sprinkle cheese is really tasty

Yes it is but I can make it at home.

When I eat out I want flavour and variety.

I have fantastic skin and don't follow a special diet. I don't eat fast food, and we eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, but I still have treats, meat, bread, dairy, chocolate (dark I don't like milk) and alcohol.

Leighs diet is waaaay too restricted for me.

While it's wonderful to eat healthy, I'd be curious to know how many people have honestly changed their lifestyles and can maintain their level of healthy diet and exercise programs for the rest of their lives.

IMO, it's worse to do the see-saw battle with weight since it's unnecessary wear and tear on your body.

While it's wonderful to eat healthy, I'd be curious to know how many people have honestly changed their lifestyles and can maintain their level of healthy diet and exercise programs for the rest of their lives.

IMO, it's worse to do the see-saw battle with weight since it's unnecessary wear and tear on your body.

I have eaten the same diet and have been roughly the same weight give or take a couple of kilograms (not counting pregnancy and the aftermath) for the last 15 years I think. I enjoy food but know when to cut back and not to overindulge too much, and I like to exercise. I am not thin thin but I am not overweight, I look athletic. My blood pressure is perfect, my skin is good, I am fit and have good bone density and blood levels with the exception of iron which I have to watch.

As I get older I am going to have to start being stricter with myself on portion sizes and snacks if I want to maintain this weight for another 15 years, but all in all I think the blueprint for a healthy lifestyle that allows for a bit of indulgence is set for me, I just hope I can continue to exercise otherwise that may throw a bit of a spanner in the works.

I have eaten the same diet and have been roughly the same weight give or take a couple of kilograms (not counting pregnancy and the aftermath) for the last 15 years I think. I enjoy food but know when to cut back and not to overindulge too much, and I like to exercise. I am not thin thin but I am not overweight, I look athletic. My blood pressure is perfect, my skin is good, I am fit and have good bone density and blood levels with the exception of iron which I have to watch.

As I get older I am going to have to start being stricter with myself on portion sizes and snacks if I want to maintain this weight for another 15 years, but all in all I think the blueprint for a healthy lifestyle that allows for a bit of indulgence is set for me, I just hope I can continue to exercise otherwise that may throw a bit of a spanner in the works.

I'm not worried about you sb. It's the obsessiveness of some that's concerning.

You see it all the time. People getting into these fad diets that are uber restrictive, going gung-ho with them and then due to the restrictive nature of them, give up and start binging or eating crappy again. This is really stressful on your body and something that people when younger, aren't thinking with their heads and most importantly, aren't listening to their bodies' needs.

There needs to be a reasonable line drawn where whatever lifestyle you choose, make certain it's one you can live with AND enjoy.

Oh I know you aren't worried about me, I am not worried about myself! :)

I was putting myself up as an example.... its possible to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle without yo yo dieting and all that silliness, and I am very happy in my own skin despite being 20+lbs heavier than the OP.

I guess thats what alot of it comes down to- the need for obsessive yo yo dieting might not be there if the person in question was happy with themselves.

I am also very glad I have a healthy attitude to food and exercise as I want to ensure my daughter does too and I will have to lead by example.

So far so good, although unfortunately she has learned what cake is and how to demand it in the last few months. Damned birthday parties!

• Author
Yes it is but I can make it at home.

When I eat out I want flavour and variety.

I have fantastic skin and don't follow a special diet. I don't eat fast food, and we eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, but I still have treats, meat, bread, dairy, chocolate (dark I don't like milk) and alcohol.

Leighs diet is waaaay too restricted for me.

No, I am not restrictive - I WAS; I too, eat chocolate, bread, pasta, potato chips, popcorn, and lots of red wine. You name it I eat it.

I simply do not eat things if they have sugar or load sof added chemicals.

And I am studying food science and nutrition, and i cured my own acne and change my own body through learning and experiementing about different types of food, so I am definitly not crazy - I can talk talk a lot about this subject.

It may seam weirds or " crazy' to you, but there is a whole world of different diets out there; raw vegans avoid ANYTHING cooked, and they ALSO demonize FAT ( the 80/10/10 ers do - the raw vegans who avoid fat).

A normal meal for a raw vegan is 10 apples. Or 7 bananas. In one sitting. They can also mix the fruit with greens; although not bitter greens; they feel that anything offensive or bitter, like DARK leafy greens or rocket, is not supposed to be consumd by humans, because it is too strong of a flavour for us to naturally have wanted to have these foods during evolution.

See - I am not the crazy one - I am simply sharing a little of what I know about the " different" ways of eating that exist in society.

I have tried a few of the more " alternative" diets, mostly the paleo, and raw vegan; they were the most extreme ones I have tried. I did good with the paleo, but the raw vegan thing made me ill.

• Author
Oh I know you aren't worried about me, I am not worried about myself! :)

I was putting myself up as an example.... its possible to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle without yo yo dieting and all that silliness, and I am very happy in my own skin despite being 20+lbs heavier than the OP.

I guess thats what alot of it comes down to- the need for obsessive yo yo dieting might not be there if the person in question was happy with themselves.

I am also very glad I have a healthy attitude to food and exercise as I want to ensure my daughter does too and I will have to lead by example.

So far so good, although unfortunately she has learned what cake is and how to demand it in the last few months. Damned birthday parties!

I do not obsessively yo yo diet; I am a healthy weight for my body type, and I know how many calories a women of my size and activity level needs to function well.

I eat the recommended amount of calories every day, unless I want to lose a lbs or two.

Again, I eat from all food groups currently, but I believe some food is better than others; I do not eat large amounts of grains, for instance, and I do not fancy legumes so see no reason to include them, seeing as there are better ways to get protein, in my opinion.

Although I would never refuse a nice veggie burger, even if it was not home made - I am not AVERSE to legumes, or grains, I just do not consume 3 different types of grains per day - I treat my body different to how most people treat their bodies, based on the research I have done, and the observations I have made from my body.

I actually tolerate most foods well. I simply think that raw nuts, meat, fish, chicken and other animal products, eggs, raw fruit and veg, and sweet potato, in addition to goat or sheep dairy products, with limited amounts of salt, strong spices, and the processed treats I enjoy such as potato chips and raw chocolate.

I eat grains, but I do not eat rye bread for lunch, and then a stir fry with rice for lunch, and then what thin crackers for a snack; I do not burdenes of gmy body with too many differnt types of grains daily, and just sticl to the one kind.

See - some of the ways that I eat are very unfamiliar, but it is rude and disrespectful to call me crazy - the above example of how I choose to consume grains, is based on research I have done, by people who I respect. I read the information, and practiced it accordingly.

You misunderstood what I said, and accused me of yo yo dieting - which is not in fact true.

• Author

Oh and I thought I would warn you - while it is great that you have a healthy attitude towards food, and hope to pass this on to your daughter, you should still be prepared for your daughter to be exposed to environmental triggers that trigger food problems.

Hopefully your daughter will not have to battle too much with body image or food preocupation, however; my mother has a VERY healthy attitude towards food, she always told me how healthy and great I looked, and she NEVER dieted in her life, and NEVER had any issues in regards to food.

Unfortunately, I developed anorexia briefly, and although I am at a healthy weight now and have not relapsed for years, I battle with body image related issues every day. In spite of the fact that my mum AND dad, both had great attitudes towards food.

I grew up with home cooked food - dad made everything from scratch. And my parents never uttered the word " diet" in my house lol.

I do wish you the best of luck in teaching your daughter good habits though in terms of diet and exercise. Just remember that there are people like me who eat " differntly", and I hope you, and in turn your daughter, will not assume that people like me starve themselves or yo yo

diet - we simply eat " differently" to the mainsteam. For health reasons, and based on research.

Unfortunately, I developed anorexia briefly, and although I am at a healthy weight now and have not relapsed for years, I battle with body image related issues every day. In spite of the fact that my mum AND dad, both had great attitudes towards food.
Leigh, from what I've read of your posts on LS, I'm not sure that your entire body image and food consumption issues are completely gone. It sincerely concerns me to read about how often you post about your weight and body image.

I do wish you the best of luck in teaching your daughter good habits though in terms of diet and exercise. Just remember that there are people like me who eat " differntly", and I hope you, and in turn your daughter, will not assume that people like me starve themselves or yo yo

diet - we simply eat " differently" to the mainsteam. For health reasons, and based on research.

Eating differently is fine. It's the underlying reasons for it that source from body image that are extremely concerning.

You only have one body and one life. Everything within reason where maintenance is better than jumping from fad diet to fad diet. There's no miracle cure that can replace consistency which sources from being happy within a reasonable lifestyle.

• Author
Leigh, from what I've read of your posts on LS, I'm not sure that your entire body image and food consumption issues are completely gone. It sincerely concerns me to read about how often you post about your weight and body image.

Eating differently is fine. It's the underlying reasons for it that source from body image that are extremely concerning.

You only have one body and one life. Everything within reason where maintenance is better than jumping from fad diet to fad diet. There's no miracle cure that can replace consistency which sources from being happy within a reasonable lifestyle.

I eat in a way that feels best for me. I do not deprive myself of anything, and I never stop myself from having anything that I truly want.

I do not have any desire to have sugar or chemicals inmy food. I do it for health reasons.

I have no ulterior motives here. I like to look and feel my best. I like thinness, but I am at a healthy weight for my body, and I have not relapsed or dipped below a healthy weight in a long time.

Why do you assume that I avoid sugar and chemicals for unhealthy reasons, and WHAT right do you have to TELL me WHY I eat this way? I am TELLING you why; to look and feel my best.

I actually grew up eating emotionally, and as a teen I was bigger than I naturally would have been had I used foor doe fuel, and not an emotional crutch.

I was pimply and chubby for my frame size, and felt unhealthy. ON the other end of the specrtrum, I have also been anorexic and too obsessed with looking perfect, too.

Now, I really like to just look and feel my best, without being too thin, and whilst also feeling SO GLAD that I do not feel chubby, unhealthy, and... I honestly feel so physically different in a good way - that I feel like a different person to how I felt when I ate cr@p and did no exercise.

I like knowing what types of eating styles work best, and what sort of exercise works well on me, and on others. I just like to learn more about the area of diet and fitness, and I do not deprive myself or behave in a way that is not positive in this regard.

Please do not tell me why I do things. I will tell you why I eat a certain way. It has nothing to do with an eating disorder. I simply eat in a way that makes me happiest.

In fact, the past few months, I have natually leaned towards more eggsm less meat, and mroe of a vegetarian diet.

I did not plan to eat like this, it happened naturally; because I no longer CARE about the ratio of fat, carbs and protein I have. I do what I feel like at the time, and do not plan it any more.

The only things I aviod are sugar and chemicals in food, sheesh. I do it without hassel and I have no probs eating on the run or in restaurants. I am an anomalie, as most ppl have not developed and devoted their career and spare time to experiementing with good ways to eat and exercise.

Leigh, you're currently quite a bit underweight, particularly considering that you don't naturally have a petite frame. That you're over-exercising to lose more and also restricting your diet to this degree is SERIOUSLY concerning.

As for the right to express this on LS, you're welcome to report my posts if you feel I don't have the right to express concern.

But I'm going to state this clearly. I hope that no other LS members encourage Leigh in her weight loss. If you do, my opinion is that you're being negligent in your responsibilities as a fellow human being.

I am not encouraging weight loss to anyone that is not overweight. Though, the default proportion of the average human body is much leaner than what is typically thought. Based on individual genetic/geographic histories, these can vary.

Also, body fat is intended to fluctuate trough the seasons. A bounty of high sugar fruits in the spring and summer had the effect of building fat stores for a winter of pure animal protein and dwindling fat. For millions of years, humans swung wildly between these annual extremes, without grains, legumes, dairy, and high concentrated sugars. Arguably, human diet for the last 10,000 years has been a fad. We have entered a new post industrial experiment. Autism and auto-immunities are on the rise likely due to this very fact.

• Author

I am not trying to lose weight - I like my body at its current weight and want to maintain:)

I am not too thin for my body type and bone size - 117 ish is not too slim for 5 '5 ish. I still have 32 D's, and I do not have any bones poking out. MOreover, I look perfectly healthy.

I know what is and is not acceptable for my body frame - I have been over and under what is ideal. Where I am now is fine.

And SHADOWMAN is right - most people are bigger than they could be, if they ate a clean, natural diet, and went cold turky of foods that are not designed to be consumed by humans.

That is why I see women with petite frames, who are usually heavier, or at least heavier looking, than I am; they have not devoted themselves to studying nutritin and related sub -texts, and they are ingesting non foods anmd things that hinder their bodies from functioning optimally, which means being at a lean weight.

Trust me - if every humans knew their body type; knew what a slim but ealthy weight was for their frame; and knew how many calories they needed to attain a slim weight for their frame; ALL WOMEN would look like me.

Seriously. And by the way - in the past, when I was 110 - 114 lbs, I MAINTAINED that weight, by eating the recommended amounts of aclories - so even when I WAS underweight for my build, I was still able to maintain on normal amounts, and without over execising.

Just because I have had eating disorders, IT DOES NOT mean I engage actively in ANY unhealthy behaviour now!

I want to maintain a slim, yet healthy weight on my body, and I have never fasted, undereaten, or relapsed into being very thin in years.

I work with a psychologist to deal with my desire to want to use thinness as a means for control and to feel superior. I will always venerate thinness - always - but I am maintaining a healthy weight as it is.

My dietary preferences are not weight related, specifically - I eat how I eat because I like having great skin and I hate looking and feeling like cr@p.

I have transformed my body into one that feels and looks great, and I am eating in a way that is optimal for my, both physically and mentally.

I do not see how avoiding sugar and chemicals in food , in order to look and feel my best, means that I have to deprive myself or suffer to ANY degree.

My desire to be thin has no bearing on how I eat, actually; the only correlation is that I like my body to function optimally, which in turn, allows me to be at a slener weight for my frame.

You cause a wear and tear and a see-saw battle by eating the way you probably do. You're getting older now and if you continue to eat with out thought it will be a see-saw and you undoubtly already have extra wear and tear.

I am not encouraging weight loss to anyone that is not overweight. Though, the default proportion of the average human body is much leaner than what is typically thought. Based on individual genetic/geographic histories, these can vary.

Also, body fat is intended to fluctuate trough the seasons. A bounty of high sugar fruits in the spring and summer had the effect of building fat stores for a winter of pure animal protein and dwindling fat. For millions of years, humans swung wildly between these annual extremes, without grains, legumes, dairy, and high concentrated sugars. Arguably, human diet for the last 10,000 years has been a fad. We have entered a new post industrial experiment. Autism and auto-immunities are on the rise likely due to this very fact.

Modern science has helped us expand our population but their is no doubt that our great anscestors who made it to adult hood got to live in an eden. Of course if they tripped and broke their leg on a rock they could easily be screwed but they had it better in many ways.

Modern science (and not so modern science) has brought about things that allow for people to survive who wouldn't otherwise. I can rightly say I would have survived through child birth let alone my childhood without modern science.

Here is where science is failing us, it pushs a diet of sickly animals only kept alive through antibiotics and processed foods with ingredients and FILLERS that should never be consumed by humans. These fillers have one purpose to trick us into eating otherwise inedible food. The corn that most of the fillers are made from is inedible in its natural form it isn't ordinary corn meant for eating. This food efects children especialy on a deep level. Many of the so called learning disabled children are being fed diets of highfructose cereals then white breads more highfructose drinks and deserts and very little anything else. Then on top of that they then get drugged because now they are considered to have ADD or Hyperactivity or the new flavor of the month Asbergers. Its just ridiculouse.

Leigh, you're currently quite a bit underweight, particularly considering that you don't naturally have a petite frame. That you're over-exercising to lose more and also restricting your diet to this degree is SERIOUSLY concerning.

As for the right to express this on LS, you're welcome to report my posts if you feel I don't have the right to express concern.

But I'm going to state this clearly. I hope that no other LS members encourage Leigh in her weight loss. If you do, my opinion is that you're being negligent in your responsibilities as a fellow human being.

I encourage her in everything she does as she is one of my favorite posters up there with the other greats like Tamare (sorry for the mispell) and Pyro's wife ect.

You know you act like you are helping but you're rude to her and disrespectful and you attact her is the reality. You are the iresponsible one. I think its nasty the way you are with her and you should be ashamed of yourself. This girl speaks nothing but the truth in a world gone mad and maybe if you listened you could help yourself out.

I am not trying to lose weight - I like my body at its current weight and want to maintain:)

I am not too thin for my body type and bone size - 117 ish is not too slim for 5 '5 ish. I still have 32 D's, and I do not have any bones poking out. MOreover, I look perfectly healthy.

I know what is and is not acceptable for my body frame - I have been over and under what is ideal. Where I am now is fine.

And SHADOWMAN is right - most people are bigger than they could be, if they ate a clean, natural diet, and went cold turky of foods that are not designed to be consumed by humans.

That is why I see women with petite frames, who are usually heavier, or at least heavier looking, than I am; they have not devoted themselves to studying nutritin and related sub -texts, and they are ingesting non foods anmd things that hinder their bodies from functioning optimally, which means being at a lean weight.

Trust me - if every humans knew their body type; knew what a slim but ealthy weight was for their frame; and knew how many calories they needed to attain a slim weight for their frame; ALL WOMEN would look like me.

Seriously. And by the way - in the past, when I was 110 - 114 lbs, I MAINTAINED that weight, by eating the recommended amounts of aclories - so even when I WAS underweight for my build, I was still able to maintain on normal amounts, and without over execising.

Just because I have had eating disorders, IT DOES NOT mean I engage actively in ANY unhealthy behaviour now!

I want to maintain a slim, yet healthy weight on my body, and I have never fasted, undereaten, or relapsed into being very thin in years.

I work with a psychologist to deal with my desire to want to use thinness as a means for control and to feel superior. I will always venerate thinness - always - but I am maintaining a healthy weight as it is.

My dietary preferences are not weight related, specifically - I eat how I eat because I like having great skin and I hate looking and feeling like cr@p.

I have transformed my body into one that feels and looks great, and I am eating in a way that is optimal for my, both physically and mentally.

I do not see how avoiding sugar and chemicals in food , in order to look and feel my best, means that I have to deprive myself or suffer to ANY degree.

My desire to be thin has no bearing on how I eat, actually; the only correlation is that I like my body to function optimally, which in turn, allows me to be at a slener weight for my frame.

You sound very proud of yourself to me. I think you have fear though and that is why people attack you, they love to kick a person when they are down. Don't have fear there is nothing to fear people will love and accept you for exactly who you are.

Its sad that we ACTIVELY have to avoid sugar and chemicals in food but really its been forced upon us by society. You can't even enjoy fruit with out watching out for chemicals... you can't even eat some yogurt with out chemicals if you don't watch out. This world is being poluted in so many ways.

I think your desire to be thin is a healthy one and we have similar views on female beauty. The fact is the women who attack you are probably mostly jelouse and they wouldn't be so rude if they were trying to help you. I believe you know what anorexia is and understand what a healthy weight is. 117 does not sound fantasticaly low to me especialy on a YOUNG girl in her EARLY 20's. My friends gf weighs less then 105 and she looks fine she is a small framed vietnamese girl and it looks very natural and healthy. its just sad how small minded and confused people are. It makes me very happy to hear how leigh is going into food sciences and already tries diets and sees how they effect her and has cured her acne, I hope to learn a lot from her as she learns more and not insult her for being unique and wanting to better herself and the world.

There are sound studies that calorie restriction can lead to longer lifespan. Do not confuse this with eating disorders like anorexia. This is based on the hypothesis that while we need to metabolize in order to obtain energy and survive, the process and byproducts of metabolism are the leading causes of aging and disease. Metabolizing can be considered "wear and tear".

Think about it. Less ingested free radicals. Less bad cholesterol build up. Less sugar to develop insulin tolerance. As long as the body is receiving the bare minimum of required energy to survive with no neurological or other cell damage, the less junk will accumulate in your cells and tissues, and the longer you will live.

If you think about it another way. Organisms like trees can live so long because they are not breaking down complex molecules on scale that animals are. They instead are building complex molecules from simpler ones with little accumulating waste.

As a matter of perspective. What one person might see as moderation in dietary intake, another might see as obscene over consumption. We evolved to deal with extended periods of near starvation punctuated by moments of lustful gorging. Moderation might actually be much less than any fat westerner would feel comfortable with. The logic behind this is not far fetched.

There are sound studies that calorie restriction can lead to longer lifespan. Do not confuse this with eating disorders like anorexia. This is based on the hypothesis that while we need to metabolize in order to obtain energy and survive, the process and byproducts of metabolism are the leading causes of aging and disease. Metabolizing can be considered "wear and tear".

Think about it. Less ingested free radicals. Less bad cholesterol build up. Less sugar to develop insulin tolerance. As long as the body is receiving the bare minimum of required energy to survive with no neurological or other cell damage, the less junk will accumulate in your cells and tissues, and the longer you will live.

If you think about it another way. Organisms like trees can live so long because they are not breaking down complex molecules on scale that animals are. They instead are building complex molecules from simpler ones with little accumulating waste.

As a matter of perspective. What one person might see as moderation in dietary intake, another might see as obscene over consumption. We evolved to deal with extended periods of near starvation punctuated by moments of lustful gorging. Moderation might actually be much less than any fat westerner would feel comfortable with. The logic behind this is not far fetched.

Anorexia is truely life threatning but the sheer number of thin women who get acused of being anorexic in a silly way is counterproductive. A true anorexic is very easy to spot. First off a true anorexic will be very sick. Also a true anorexic would not be able to go to the gym. If you looked at a true anorexic they would actualy look older then they are because their face and arms would apear to be missing natural fat the kind that really looks good on a young person and fills you out into a human shape. The skin on an anorexic looks like crap and really allows you to see things like ribs. Anorexics probably wouldn't have periods at all.

Now eating scarce on the other hand would be perfectly healthy and if the person had energy and looked good they would actualy be adding energy and extra life.

You know you act like you are helping but you're rude to her and disrespectful and you attact her is the reality. You are the iresponsible one. I think its nasty the way you are with her and you should be ashamed of yourself. This girl speaks nothing but the truth in a world gone mad and maybe if you listened you could help yourself out.

No one here is trying to be rude to her, from what I have read. Leigh has admitted to struggling with an eating disorder in the past, and that she is continually working on it. The people who show objections to some of the things she has posted about diet and fitness are actually people who care. They would prefer to say something rather than to read that she is engaging in behaviors that seem to them like they would fit with an eating disorder.

I think your desire to be thin is a healthy one and we have similar views on female beauty. The fact is the women who attack you are probably mostly jelouse and they wouldn't be so rude if they were trying to help you. I believe you know what anorexia is and understand what a healthy weight is.

It is great that Leigh has found someone on this forum who is supportive. That is what everyone is here for, isn't it? And you're right, she is most likely intimately aware of what an eating disorder is.

Anorexia is truely life threatning but the sheer number of thin women who get acused of being anorexic in a silly way is counterproductive. A true anorexic is very easy to spot. First off a true anorexic will be very sick. Also a true anorexic would not be able to go to the gym. If you looked at a true anorexic they would actualy look older then they are because their face and arms would apear to be missing natural fat the kind that really looks good on a young person and fills you out into a human shape. The skin on an anorexic looks like crap and really allows you to see things like ribs. Anorexics probably wouldn't have periods at all.

You are probably right about spotting some people who suffer from an eating disorder of some sort. But I would argue that not all of them look like that. From what I learned from my psych courses in college, eating disorders are mainly characterized by behavior patterns that sometimes result in the physical appearances you noted. From what I learned, Anorexia nervosa is characterized by behavior (restricting calories, binging and purging, over exercise, etc) that comes mainly from a fear of becoming overweight, or remaining overweight depending on how they view themself. Bulimia nervosa is characterized by the same types of behavior, but comes from a need to feel control over that aspect in a person's life. Both disorders have specific criteria required for a diagnosis, so not all people with eating disorders fit into those two categories. That doesn't mean they should be taken lightly.

Leigh, I'm glad to read that you have worked with a psychologist on issues with your eating disorder. I hope you continue to do so, whether you are currently engaging in the behaviors that were a problem for you in the past or not. I'm also glad to see you have such a passion for your health. I do hope, though, that you don't take too much offense from the people who object to the things that you say. All the people here know about you is from what you post. Sometimes, from what I've read, you can come across as a bit obsessive about diet and fitness. Whether you are still suffering from an eating disorder is not for me or anyone else here to say... we don't know you well enough. But I can definitely see how people would want to be cautious about encouraging that type of behavior.