What foods do you avoid?

I avoid food that tastes bad. I have no allergies or digestive issues, so I will eat just about anything... in moderation, of course.

Ok. Just curious. Paleo-nutrition is the most logical answer to dietary questions and many people come to the correct conclusion. As the famous biologist Theodosius Dobzhansky once said, "Nothing in biology makes sense, except in the light of evolution."

Hi every one, I am making a lot of threads today haha, because I have moved to a new city, and until I meet a diverse range of people, I personally need to be in contact with a people, from all different walks of life, because I like talking to people and hearing what every one has to say about things.

TOPIC of discussion: What foods do you avoid?

Foods I avoid: any chemicals that have to be put together in test tubes and added to food.

I also avoid table sugar, but have honey and maple syrup in small amounts. Okay, sometimes I had too much, but I try not to, and although a unit of sugar is the same no regardless if it is table sugar or honey, or dates, I STILL feel that humans have been eating honey for longer than refined sugar and have therfore adapted to whole, more intact foods better than we have adapted to sugar.

I also avoid cows milk - Goats milk feels better for me, I do not know the details physiological reason why this choice is more ideal, however, I DO like the idea that goats milk, as well as most sheap milk, is not as commercially producted.

Cows milk is so common place, that it is produced on a huge scale, like meat is, and the aninals are not treated well, and I cannot support that.

I eat EVERYTHING ELSE. lol.

This is working for me, because my skin is normally clear and I glow with health. So avoiding refined sugar, and only eating food with real ingredients that are more in tune with how nature made them, works.

I have sensative skin and when I ate more chemical filled foods, more ksin was worse, and it was harder for me to maintain my weight.

SO; what DO YOU guys avoid? I have tried high protein; raw vegan ( only ate raw nuts, seedsm, avocado, raw coconut, raw frutis and vegetables), paleo style ( loads of meat, few sweet potato, and load of raw, but not cooked vegetables).

I have " avoided" lots different foods, at different times, but now I eat whatever I like, providing it is chemical free and table sugar free.

My avoid foods are sugar and carbs that are not healthy or complex. Junk, cake, candy bars, processed foods. Sugar is my downfall, once I start I can't stop and always feel bad afterwards. When i avoid sugar, cake and this type of junk I never binge, my binge trigger foods are always sugar based. Any type of finger foods too, chips and such..I have to eliminate these foods to be successful. Period

loverofloveandstuff
There is enough evident to suggest that dairy intake is responsible for several diseases from autism, diabeties, and even acne.

This is SO true. Atleast in my experience. I was vegan for almost a year and had absolutely perfect skin- sometimes around my period I might get a spot or two, but not usually.

I recently started trying to reintroduce dairy and meat into my diet. I started off with dairy and broke out like never before! I stopped eating dairy but introduced a little bit of meat and now I'm fine. I'm going to stay FAR away from dairy. That shiet is toxic to me!

Fast food, it smells like greasy vomit :sick: Just driving by one of these places the stench overwhelms me :sick:

Cows, pigs or any mammals. I very rarely eat chicken but do eat plenty of fish and seafood now.

American cheese, or anything ver processed, except for those frozen jalapeno poppers, I like those once in a while :laugh:

That cheap, greasy Chinese takeout/delivery type food. It smells bad to me, uses low quality ingredients and isn't very tasty.

All cheeses with fungus in (like stilton) and other stuff (believe in some cheeses they grow maggots and your supposed to eat them ) why would you :sick::sick:

I avoid JUNK FOOD. mostly red meat and pork (not completely eliminated yet) but getting there!! Because if I go to a steakhouse (which is only on a rare occasion) I get the surf and turf. haha oh that's the best one. i want to eliminate though.

Also, hmm anything unhealthy really. Except for gourmet cakes and ice cream, brownies etc. I love the sweets.

Avoid soda also. Oh, and tv dinners and other junk.

There are lots of things I don't eat because I just don't like them and I'm an adult and I don't have to. However, pregnancy calls off all rules.

I don't typically eat:

chicken

eggs

milk

any fake cheese products

cereal

peanut butter

white bread

pumpernickel bread

sausage

hotdogs

It's actually a pretty long list. But I'll leave it at this.

eerie_reverie

Currently attempting the "paleo" thing. Trying not to eat anything that can't be eaten raw, like grains. I also avoid processed foods as much as possible.

It's actually been easy for me to stick to this for the past couple months, and I like the way my body's responding.

However, I have recently committed to running a marathon in Feb, and I have been wondering how a diet low in carbs is going to affect my training. The general attitude is that a runners should eat a lot of carbs. I haven't had any problems yet but realize my eating habits might need to change as I increase my mileage.

• Author
Currently attempting the "paleo" thing. Trying not to eat anything that can't be eaten raw, like grains. I also avoid processed foods as much as possible.

It's actually been easy for me to stick to this for the past couple months, and I like the way my body's responding.

However, I have recently committed to running a marathon in Feb, and I have been wondering how a diet low in carbs is going to affect my training. The general attitude is that a runners should eat a lot of carbs. I haven't had any problems yet but realize my eating habits might need to change as I increase my mileage.

I DO NOT recommend the raw vegan diet. There is a difference between a paleo style diet, and a diet that is all raw; that is a raw vegan diet. Although raw sashime ( fish) can be eaten raw.

The raw vegan diet just.... made me feel like STEAK. Seriously. I would dream of eating a HUGE piece of my favourite fish ( which happens to be trout and salmon).

I would literally salivate about being able to eat a HUGe, half a kilo piece of salmon or trout. I would eat it all in one sitting. Then I would go back to my raw veganism, and I would not crave meat for some time. Perhaps a week.

I think it makes more sense in terms of our evolution, that we should eat raw foods when possible; why cook vegetables, when u can grab a hand full of raw celery and cumber?

Although a paleo style diet, otherwise known as a " cave man" type of diet, advocates large quantities of protein, in the form of steak and fish. Is THIS the type of paleo nutrition you are following?

To run a marathon,I guess SOMe people can do it on a high protein, low carb diet. However, the majority of people cannot do well on a very low carb diet, and certainly cannot run a marathon. Better still, low carbers generally cannot run much or do much intense cardio at all, in the lack of sufficient carbs!

Perhaps for your marathon preparation and up until the marathon, you can slightly increase your intake of carbs. Have protein and non starchy vegetables for dinner and at night, but I see nothing wrong with eating a higher amount of carbs to fuel your running.

You will definitly train better if you increase your intake of carbs, and I can see absolutaly no negative impact that slightly increasing your carb intake will have on your body. You will not gain weight or look any " worse" because of increasing your carbs slightly.

Even 45% - 50% of your caloric intake from carbs couldbe enough for you. if the notion of paleo nutrition, and a lower carb diet appeals a lot to you for health reasons, then try to simply have the lowest possible amount of carbs, but that is still enough to fuel your running.

Each person has a different threshhold, as to how low they can take their carb intake, all the while still being able to run for marathons. 40% would probably be the lowest a person could go for a marathon.

• Author

My progress with my weight loss has dwindled. I just do not think my body is supposed to be thin. 117 is the lowest I can go, without resorting to lowering to as little as 1300 calories WITH exercise.

In the past I was able to maintain 110 - 114 on the NORMAL amounts. However, loosing back DOWN to those weights is prooving difficult.

I do not look emaciated or unhealthy at 114 lbs, but at the same time,my body is not easily letting me get there. Right now, I am eating the maintenance amount for 117 lbs, IN ADDITION to all the exercise that I do.

Perhaps I am experiencing a plateau, due to the increased exercise that I am doing? In any case, I have come to realize that while I LOVE looking thinner, that I MUST shift my focus on my fitness levels.

I want clear skin, healthy hair, and to start running daily and to also consistently do my dance move matt workout DVD 6 days per week; running is something I can always imrove on, and hence derive a sense of achievement from, as well as increasing my health and fitness.

It really is hard for me to deal with not being as thin as I have been. I am having a really difficult time. I don't hate my body, I just liked it so much better when I was 112 - 114 lbs.

In retrospect, I cannot believe that I did not feel beautiful in my body, and I cannot BELIEVE that I did not flaunt my lithe 110 - 114 frame by wearing tight clothing!

for FOUR OR MORE YEARS, I hid under slightly baggy, black clothing. NOW I am HEAVIER, I actually LOVE tight clothes, and I LIVE in TIGHT gym singlets, and right gym pants. The expensive, top quality gym gear of course so I do not look like a bum!

MAN. If I had the body I had earlier this year, I would totally FLAUNT IT and embrace it with figure hugging clothes. I cannot believe I still did not feel thin enough at 110 - 114 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to stop trying to lose weight for a while, and instead, focus on maintaining whilst increasing my FITNESS.

THIS WEEKS GOAL ( this means a lot to me): to run MOSt days, no less than 10 kph, no less than 3 mins.

Running appeals to me, as a form of fitness I want to get involved with, because; it is simple, no choreography like the group fitness classes ( which I have always still loved), and I can run whilst listeinng to music.

I NEVER thought I would like running. And I do not at times, when the pain gets annoying. But yesterday I pushed through the pain haha.

In the past, I have simply been thin, and not had to do much; I walked A LOT, and did group fitness classes and body pump; but I NEVER INCREASED any of my weights in that class, or I NEVER set new fitness goals to achieve.

With running, I am hoping that I can increase the speed and distance over time, and then start to incorporate our door runs, too. it may help me get over my self conciousness and my aversion to people watching me and my body.

I am sure I will hate running at first, but so far I have enjoyed bits of it, I LOVE listeinng to music whilst pshing through new pain threshholds.

Does any one hear have any opinions on a female runners body? It appears to be an all - around natural way to move?

• Author
Non-acidic fresh vegetables to eat. Avoid spices, dairy products, chocolate, meat, except fish. Limit grain, especially wheat. Eat baby food in the attack.

yes, I have done the whole " no dairy, meat ( except fish), grains, chocolate, cacoa powder even, and dairy.

The problem is, I enjoy raw chocolate and goats dairy. Thsoe are my two " foods I eat that i do not believe are optimal for me".

I do not eat cows dairy though. I think that goats dairy is okay, and will not totally change how my body functions.

I have to eat a low amount to maintain a slim weight, so I want my food to be full of flavour, so I have some joy in eating.

For the most part, I tend to like fairly harmless foods; Daily, I eat sweet potatoes, olive oil, nuts ( almond butter, sunflower seed butter, and macadamia nuts whole), and raw organic fruits ( mostly apples), and eggs and goats dairy.

Although lately, I have been eating a lot of raw chocolate, ina ddition to those foods I listed above. So the goat dairy and the chocolate are the only non " ideal" foods I eat.

I am going to start only saving the chocolate for when I am with friends and need a " fun" and easily portable. I know nuts and tinned fish are easily protable, but come on, I love raw chocolate and it is not HARMFUL for me at least.

As much as I have been a bit of an " elitist" in the past, regarding my view on foods that I do not see as fit for human consumption, I have taken a step back from that now, and refuse to engage in being too.... just too perfect.

I do not want to ONLY eat eggs, fish, raw fruit and vegetables, and that is it. I aspire to eat MOSTLY those things, because I DO believe that RAW fruits and vegetables are altered less than cooked foods, and something humans would have evoled eating for slightly longer than cooked foods ( seeing as cooking came about after we ate everything raw).

In addition to raw fruits and vegetables, I also need a source of carbohydrate, and I use sweet potato for this, and occasionally honey ( the harder, non runny sort), and I add the honey to almond or sunflower butter.

So, I need to add something to the raw fruit and veg and sweet potato, and from here on out, it is going to be eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, fish, and goat and sheeps dairy.

I will still add the occasional cacoa or raw chocolate product, but I will try to avoid having them daily.

I also use dried, organic herbs on my sweet potato I have daily. The : ideal" way for humans to eay, is to eat raw fresh food, or cooked animal protein such as meat; anything else came about later in our evolution, in terms of our diet.

Raw fruit and vegetables would have been the first things humans ate, followed by the meat and fish which we eventually learnt how to cook. Raw nuts and seeds could have also been discovered at some point, either before or after the meat.

Apparently our bodies have not really evolved much BEYOND this stage, so anything other than those early foods, are not really ideal for our bodies to process.

I was quiet a nut about it all, and was very strict and simply thought that there was no way I would pollute my body with inferior, " new" foods.

I still do KNOW what is probably ideal for me, and I DO genuinly like plain baked sweet potato in olive oil, WITHUOT dried herbs; but the herbs add a litle flavour, so i add them now. Before I would never have even added dried herbs.

Most people do not know the world of which I speak about; where sugar and chemicals are crazy, and even things lik tomatos, cashews, peanuts, grains, dairy, and anything COOKED, is viewed as " poison".

It made me totally crazy, because I had strong views about what food was ideal, yet I hated the fact that other food came across as so BAD for our bodies.... I mean, brown rice and tomatos cannot be THAT damaging for crying out loud!

Now, I know the things that may not be ideal, such as tomatio paste, organic rye bread, and raw chocolate, but I eat them if I feel like them, knowing that they will not totally hinder my bodies ability to give me clear skin and a healthy look.

I have been eating way too much raw chocolate lately, but I am going to cut back on that, and let goat and sheaps dairy, be my " food crime" lol.

I have "branched out" in the last 6 months, as I notice if I don't avoid every single food I love I end up overeating.

Here we go...

1. cheesecake

2. pie

3. ice cream

4. cookies

5. cake (I did have wedding cake, when husband fed me a piece)

6. pop tarts

7. popcorn

8. candy bars

9. milk shakes

10. "sugary" drinks from Starbucks

There may be more, I don't know. Mostly I avoid eating foods that I know I can't eat in moderation. I do eat SOME sweet/carbohydrate foods but only ones that I know I am not going binge or overeat.

anything with a high sugar or HFCS content (exceptions are pure maple syrup and honey which I don't eat of lot of anyway), highly processed foods

This HFCS is alien to me- I don't think food manufacturers use it here yet.

I remember a thread about coke being made with it in the US and tasting different?

Often when I google recipes I will find ones that have corn syrup in them, but you can't buy it here- which isn't a bad thing I think it doesn't sound like very nice stuff.

Fast food because I hate spending money on things that I can cook myself for cheaper (and healthier!)... also anything deep fried or heavy in grease... for some reason deep fried/greasy foods give me a terrible headache.

They give me really bad heartburn.

With the exception of fast food, which I never eat, I will eat everything in moderation.

I love food, and I love cooking, and H and I try to eat as seasonally as we can.

We have a 1 year old daughter and she doesn't eat any junk, its all homemade fresh food, so we tend to eat the same although the weekend her birthday was celebrated did involve a bit of cake for all of us!

Leigh87- you sound obsessed with your weight in a bad way. I was thinner in high school than I am now, and I didn't flaunt my body because I had far less body confidence then than I do now. Do I wish I had? I don't really care, those days are gone, and my shape has changed I won't ever be the same shape as that again.

I am 33, and I weigh more than you do. I have wobbly bits from having a baby, but I still run and go to the gym so I can enjoy food without having to obsess about it.

I think I look great for someone of my age with a 1 yr old- sure there are other mothers who look better, and some who look worse, but I am happy with MYSELF.

You really need to find that self confidence- and it doesn't come from numbers on a scale....

Waffle/pancake syrup - I looked at the nutritional label at the store today and WOW. I had no idea! Holy crap at the calories!

This HFCS is alien to me- I don't think food manufacturers use it here yet.

Are you serious?? It's in almost everything sweet that's processed here in the States, and I'm pretty sure in the UK too (where you once were, missy). Apparently it's called glucose-fructose syrup in UK (thanks Wiki!).

Then again, HFCS comes from corn...a ginormous crop in the US. So it's to be expected that we use a lot of it here. Not so sure it's any better than cane sugar in processed foods though.

Meanwhile, HFCS continues to be widely used as a sweetener in the US, mainly because of cane-sugar import tariffs. But the same is not true in New Zealand, where cane sugar is the first choice of caloric sweetener for most manufacturers. For example, Coca-Cola Amatil (NZ), our largest soft-drink manufacturer, uses cane sugar in caloric soft drinks, whereas Coca-Cola in the US uses HFCS.

If you’re concerned about HFCS in your diet, always check the ingredient list on the packaging of processed food. HFCS should appear there as corn syrup, fructose corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup, says the New Zealand Food Safety Authority.

I think I have seen it in some ultra processed foods like shop bought cookies/ cake/ sweets and maybe in some imported stuff. I don't eat much processed, pre-packaged stuff, and coke is a treat (it rots your teeth!!!)

Trans fats are bad too, but apparently NZ is consuming less now thanks to some initiatives put in in place recently.

We really noticed a difference in the amount (or lack of) convenience foods here in NZ compared to the UK.

While there are some amazing restaurants, markets and produce there, the sheer population means there is a big market for things like ready meals (there was a whole aisle dedicated to them in some supermarkets!) and convenience food.

We just don't have that kind of stuff here. Ready meals are quite rare, and the ones you can buy are either weight watchers or really bad- nothing in between.

Thats not to say there isn't an obesity problem here- there is! Some people still eat lots of KFC, McDs etc.

New Zealand is a bit of a bizarro world when it comes to HFCS - it's not a common ingredient in processed foods, to the point where it's actually pretty difficult to track down a bottle of ordinary corn syrup (It tends to be regarded as a specialty ingredient used for chocolate making, or found in Asian food markets).

In any case, my bizarro world list of things that don't contain HFCS in New Zealand begins with a suprise: Ocean Spray White Cranberry Juice doesn't. Neither does my bottle of Monin chocolate syrup. Coca Cola is still made with sugar as well. I checked my apricot and cranberry sauces, and they're both made with sugar (but do have cornstarch or maize based thickeners). Tomato sauce/ketchup is also made with sugar...which is where I ran out of processed foods containing sugar :p

Just found this.

Someone once told me that Ben and Jerrys isn't sold here because of its HFCS or fat content, but I couldn't find anything to support that claim.

You def can't buy it here though. :(

Yay! Paleo advocates unite! The only dietary philosophy backed by scientific evidence and common sense.

For endurance sports purposes, Joe Friel and Loren Cordain in the book, The Paleodiet for Athletes, suggests fat and low glycemic sugars as the initial fuel and maintenance fuel, but high glycemic carbs as a recovery source of glycogen.

Hey, you have a pretty interesting thread going on here.

I have rosacea, and it has so many ridiculous food triggers.

The 2 foods i have to avoid the most are tomatoes *tears* and bananas. a single banana would make me feel bad, while 2 would give me a fever. I also have to avoid spicy food even though i love spicy food. I'm starting to feel myself getting lactose intolerant... so i ease up on the dairy. No more cow's milk or any milk with lactase.

Also, i'm skinny so i try to avoid the high-fiber/low-fat foods... i don't want to turn to a skeleton any time soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Shaddow man - I have done the rounds of avoiding certain foods - tomatos due to their nature, and also peanutes and legumes and dairy and grains....

I can do okay without them, but ... I REALLY ENJOY sprouted rye, essence bread - I buy date, walnut and rye sprouted essene bread. It has 4 ingredients in it.

The thing is, grains may have come about later on than say, meats or raw nuts or raw veggies, however, I JUST LIKE certain foods lol!

I have had to make compromises; I like raw sugar free chocolate, and the sprouted bread, and I also like to put raw almond and cacoa type food bars ( they are raw, not heated), in the freezer in summer and then eat them like a chewy, hard fudge thing that cools me down.

So what do you make of that? That although some foods may not be the BEST, most IDEAL thing for you, do you think they are necessarily going to be THAT bad?

I mean, raw, pure, cacoa in its fairly natural state, with no added sugar or anything to it............ and having salt free tomate paste as a dipping sauce for my sweet potato french fries that I make...... really?

So, here is the list of foods I FORMERLY avoided, but NOW eat:

- raw chocolate, which never has more than 5 ingredients in any type of flavour

- goats cheese and sometimes sheap; never cows dairy.

- red wine

- salt free tomato paste, to dip my sweet potato french fries in! it is essentially ketchup - ketchup is really tomato paste with chemicals, sugar, and salt added.

- grains occasionally, although normally int he form of SPROUTED grains - my rye essence bread.

heck, when I was paleo and a raw vegan, I avoided:

- heated nuts, would only order the sprouted raw kind, although resorted to the " raw" kind you buy in the store due to not affording the stuff online

- anything cooked during my raw phase; only living foods, no cooked vegetables, only raw fruit and veg

- grains, legumes, and dairy.

I still do not eat:

- legumes ( I believe animals are a better source of protein and have no desire to eat legumes)

- wheat, or most grains apart from my favouriote types of bread - I have to LOVE a grain or legume food, for it to be worth eating

- refined table sugar ( although I eat maple syrup, agave nectar, and honey in small amounts)

SO there you go, after 4 years that is where I am in terms of what I AVOID.

I am much happier, than when I was too restrictive. Avoiding sugar free organic raw chocolate, grains, and tomatos may have made a small difference, but I am on the pill so my hormones are regulated, and I can avoid acne and hence can get away with less than " optimal" foods.