The Ask Rashad About Islam Thread.

SpanksTheMonkey
No, it certainly isn't. I have no control over what Abmenijanahad or the ruling imams in Iran do (no separation of religion and culture there!). All I can do is observe and discern and interpret THE REAL WORLD around me, and call it like I see it. And the way I see it, people in Christian-based countries are enjoying freedom, democracy, self-determination, and the wealth that has been generated from those fundamental principles - while Islamic-based countries are stifled, repressed, way behind the times, and poor. Why is that?

As another poster (Explorer?) said in an above post, if Islam is such a peaceful religion, then why are all these terrorist organizations spinning-off from it? My question is the same, but from a more economic perspective - if Islam is such an enlightened path, then why do its followers consistently repress and stifle their populations?

Oh, and happy 9/11.

-OB

never forget

I actually see it as a quite conflicted religion at the moment one that is struggling to conform to modern sociality but still hold onto it roots so to speak. Hate only breeds hate so perhaps the spin offs are a direct reaction to the anti Muslim movements across the western world. Witch in themselves is a reaction to the horrid/insane acts of a few extream terrorists. Its all one big nasty circle of hate!

There was a time when Christianity was also what we may consider a backwards religion lets not forget the inquisitions and such. The fire and brimstone side to Jesus back in the early days of the church it was fairly strict and rigid not what it has evolved into today..

No, not enough. I work on it daily, and fail a lot of the time. But I think it's best to not look at how far I have yet to go, but more productive to see how far I've come.

I'm better than I used to be.

Could do to bite my tongue a lot more than I do......:)

I understand. So, what do you hope to achieve with all of this?

Feel free to stop me if I go off-topic but was just curious on what your principle root idealogies are that keep you grounded and motivated to persevere with these disciplines you speak of.

I don't think there's anything silly about all of the innocent people that died on 9/11 because of Al-Qaeda's literal interpretation of the Qur'an.

Then you are asking Rashad why they did what they did, NOT what Islam teaches and I don't see how he can answer for dead people. And I don't see how he can answer for them as he does not share their beliefs, just their religion. Big difference.

If one man did it? ...we would call him crazy.

If many did it, and it continued and grew in the name of its religion? ...why wouldn't we associate it?

There are only a handful of extremists in comparison to the VAST number of practicing Muslims in the world. I would venture that less than 10% are extremists. That would likely be similar concerning Christians or other religions as well.

But, you are right, we would likely examine the circumstances behind the extremists. Its not enough to examine ONLY their religion. Examine their economic situations, educational levels, cultural structures, AND how their religion ties in to all that.

I find it interesting that for Christian cranks, like in the US, there is a full examination on what made the people in certain groups turn out the way they did. Think Cherry Hill, Waco, and McVeigh. But when it comes to Muslim extremists, people are encouraged to rush to the judgment that there is something about their religion and not other plausible possibilities as well. I don't belong to the immediately blame the religion group.

As a Christian, I can't see how criticizing Islam as the issue will solve the problem - some of the scriptures seem word for word (or at least idea for idea) taken out of the Bible (Old Testament, but still the Bible).

I'll bow out of this as I think I have said enough and risk threadjacking Rashad's thread (apologies Rashad).

I find it interesting that for Christian cranks, like in the US, there is a full examination on what made the people in certain groups turn out the way they did. Think Cherry Hill, Waco, and McVeigh. But when it comes to Muslim extremists, people are encouraged to rush to the judgment that there is something about their religion and not other plausible possibilities as well. I don't belong to the immediately blame the religion group.

As a Christian, I can't see how criticizing Islam as the issue will solve the problem - some of the scriptures seem word for word (or at least idea for idea) taken out of the Bible (Old Testament, but still the Bible).

I'll bow out of this as I think I have said enough and risk threadjacking Rashad's thread (apologies Rashad).

How does McVeigh always get dragged into this. He was about as Christian as President Obama's father was Muslim and we have no evidence that his battle cry was Glory to God, or Praise Jesus. The only evidence was that a youth he attended Mass before leaving home to join the Army.

Then you are asking Rashad why they did what they did' date=' NOT what Islam teaches and I don't see how he can answer for dead people. And I don't see how he can answer for them as he does not share their beliefs, just their religion. Big difference. [/quote']

No, I'm asking why they did it in the name of Islam.

There are only a handful of extremists in comparison to the VAST number of practicing Muslims in the world. I would venture that less than 10% are extremists. That would likely be similar concerning Christians or other religions as well.

10% is a handful to you?

But, you are right, we would likely examine the circumstances behind the extremists. Its not enough to examine ONLY their religion. Examine their economic situations, educational levels, cultural structures, AND how their religion ties in to all that.

It's because of the MANY incidents ...not just a few. It's also because they say "Allah Akbar" before they blow up themselves and a bunch of innocents.

• Author

Alright, this is going to be long.

Here I'm going to discuss the Chapter 09 Al Tawba (Repentance). Without holding back... I urge everybody to read this carefully. If you want to know whether Islam preaches violence or not READ.

Since all the verses are from Chapter 09, I will be giving the verse number only.

-The Chapter 09 is the ONLY chapter in the Quran that does not start with "In the name of Allah, The Merciful Beneficent"

1. [This is a declaration of] disassociation, from Allah and His Messenger, to those with whom you had made a treaty among the polytheists.

Muslims had a peace treaty with the polytheists living around them. Here Allah dissolves the treaty... reasons are to come in the following verses.

2. So travel freely, [O disbelievers], throughout the land [during] four months but know that you cannot cause failure to Allah and that Allah will disgrace the disbelievers.
In Islam, there are four forbidden months in which we are not allowed to fight unless in self defense.

3. And [it is] an announcement from Allah and His Messenger to the people on the day of the greater pilgrimage that Allah is disassociated from the disbelievers, and [so is] His Messenger. So if you repent, that is best for you; but if you turn away – then know that you will not cause failure to Allah. And give tidings to those who disbelieve of a painful punishment.
Further emphasis on the ending of the treaty with the polytheists.

4. Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the polytheists and thenthey have not been deficient toward you in anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them their treaty until their term [has ended]. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous [who fear Him].
i.e. The "violence" in the coming verse does not apply to peaceful polytheists who did not violate the treaty.

5. And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah (alms), let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
The "violence"... again this does not apply to the peaceful polytheists who did not violate the treaty.

6. And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah [i.e., the Quran]. Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know [the Quran].
For those who still want peace.

7. How can there be for the polytheists a treaty in the sight of Allah and with His Messenger, except for those with whom you made a treaty at al-Masjid al-Haram? So as long as they are upright toward you, be upright toward them. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous [who fear Him]
Again... more orders on being peaceful to those who are peaceful.

8. How [can there be a treaty] while, if they gain dominance over you, they do not observe concerning you any pact of kinship or covenant of protection? They satisfy you with their mouths, but their hearts refuse [compliance], and most of them are defiantly disobedient.
The reason why Allah dissolved the treaty. Pretty fair I think.

9. They have exchanged the signs of Allah for a small price and averted [people] from His way. Indeed, it was evil that they were doing.

10. They do not observe toward a believer any pact of kinship or covenant of protection. And it is they who are the transgressors.

More reasons... The polytheists were the transgressors.

11. But if they repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, then they are your brothers in religion; and We detail the verses for a people who know.
Pretty detailed imo.

12. And if they break their oaths after their treaty and defame your religion, then fight the leaders of disbelief, for indeed, there are no oaths [sacred] to them; [fight them that] they might cease.
13. Would you not fight a people who broke their oaths and determined to expel the Messenger, and they had begun [the attack upon] you the first time? Do you fear them? But Allah has more right that you should fear Him, if you are [truly] believers.
The Muslims were reluctant to fight, due to their small numbers and lack of wealth, but Allah urged them to fight back, because the polytheists were basically playing games with the whole treaty thingy.

14. Fight them; Allah will punish them by your hands and will disgrace them and give you victory over them and satisfy the desires of a believing people.

15. And remove the fury in their [i.e., the believers'] hearts. And Allah turns in forgiveness to whom He wills; and Allah is Knowing and Wise.

Victory was guaranteed by Allah. The first battle in Islam The Battle of Badr, the Muslims were 113 and the polytheists were 1,000 in number. It was on the 17th of Ramadan and the Muslims were fasting. I know it sounds like the movie 300, but read about it!

So there you have 15 consecutive verses, some verses when taken out of context do seem pretty violent, and that's why I had to quote them consecutively, so read and judge for yourself.

If you wanna read the rest of the chapter (it's kinda long) here is a link..

http://quran.com/9

• Author
I want to respectfully visit a mosque as a non-Muslim. I have never been to one before. Would I be welcome? Does this happen often? Is there anything big I should keep in mind, doing that? Of course, I should dress modestly, and I should probably be quiet. I should probably also go at a time when there is no worship service going on. Does this website have good advice, and is there anything you'd like to add? http://www.ehow.com/how_5381417_visit-mosque-respectful-nonmuslim.html

Yeah its pretty legit imo, also be clean.

It's not that much of a big deal to go during prayer times, but just don't disturb anybody praying.... you can just wait until they finish and ask them whatever. Also you are more likely to meet well versed Muslims during prayer times.

Yeah its pretty legit imo, also be clean.

It's not that much of a big deal to go during prayer times, but just don't disturb anybody praying.... you can just wait until they finish and ask them whatever. Also you are more likely to meet well versed Muslims during prayer times.

That sounds exciting! I definitely want to go and do that, then. Thanks! :)

I have a few more questions. What is proper attire for a woman at a mosque? Cover the hair? How about the face? Long sleeves and long pants or skirt? Are any colors fine, or are bright or dull colors preferred? Would they be happy if I brought flowers as a gift?

so what of the condoning of stoning for women who have been unfaithful to their husbands? is it part of the Quran, Sharia Law, or just part of Iranian law?

The reason I ask is because a woman in Iran was sentenced to death by stoning recently for being unfaithful to her husband. (although I think the sentence was delayed because of international pressure)

so what of the condoning of stoning for women who have been unfaithful to their husbands? is it part of the Quran, Sharia Law, or just part of Iranian law?

The reason I ask is because a woman in Iran was sentenced to death by stoning recently for being unfaithful to her husband. (although I think the sentence was delayed because of international pressure)

Its a holiday season, like Texas won't give the needle on Christmas eve.

How do you preceive God when you talk with Him?

How do you see God and Angels when you talk to Them?

Do you have any visual image which is a symbol of God?

• Author
That sounds exciting! I definitely want to go and do that, then. Thanks! :)

I have a few more questions. What is proper attire for a woman at a mosque? Cover the hair? How about the face? Long sleeves and long pants or skirt? Are any colors fine, or are bright or dull colors preferred? Would they be happy if I brought flowers as a gift?

Face should not be covered... long sleeves and a decent skirt would do. As for the colors, there is nothing specific really, but remember that the Mosque is a place of worship so anything that attracts too much attention interferes with people's concentrations during prayer so you might wanna keep it simple. I'm sure they'll be happy with your visit.

Who can say no to flowers?? :D

Rashad, in your mind, what is the signifigant difference between Sunni and Shi'ite? Is there a real philosophical difference, or is it a merely a question of authority? Also, what influence do the religious scholars at Qom have over the Muslim world? Apologies if these have been asked and answered. It's a long thread.

• Author

Stoning is NOT mentioned anywhere in the Quran, again I don't want you to take my word for it, get a Quran and read it, or if you don't have the time, get a pdf English translation of the Quran and run a search on stoning. This is what is there concerning unlawful sex.

Quran 24:02

2. The woman and man found guilty of sexual intercourse– lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion [i.e., law] of Allah, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment.

unlike what most people think, this is not for women only... Also conviction is made by confession or FOUR witnesses, witnessing the actual act of sex (which does not include lying naked in bed or whatever) here is the proof..

Quran 24:04

4. And those who accuse chaste women and then do not produce

four witnesseslash them with eighty lashes and do not accept

from them testimony ever after. And those are the defiantly

disobedient.

So if a woman is accused of unlawful sex, and the accuser does not produce FOUR witnesses, then the accuser is punished by 80 lashes.

Its pretty difficult to get FOUR people to witness sex unless its public sex.

HOWEVER... as I promised to not hide anything and even though this is NOT part of the Quran, some scholars believe that The Prophet Mohammad PBUH changed the ruling for "married" men and women, that they should be stoned to death. This is a topic of debate among scholars but violent nations tend to apply what suites them. Again this is NOT in the Quran.

Face should not be covered... long sleeves and a decent skirt would do. As for the colors, there is nothing specific really, but remember that the Mosque is a place of worship so anything that attracts too much attention interferes with people's concentrations during prayer so you might wanna keep it simple. I'm sure they'll be happy with your visit.

Who can say no to flowers?? :D

Should the legs be completely covered by the skirt?

Thank you for your responses! They're helpful, and I'll keep them in mind while I plan for my visit! :)

Stoning is NOT mentioned anywhere in the Quran, again I don't want you to take my word for it, get a Quran and read it, or if you don't have the time, get a pdf English translation of the Quran and run a search on stoning. This is what is there concerning unlawful sex.

unlike what most people think, this is not for women only... Also conviction is made by confession or FOUR witnesses, witnessing the actual act of sex (which does not include lying naked in bed or whatever) here is the proof..

So if a woman is accused of unlawful sex, and the accuser does not produce FOUR witnesses, then the accuser is punished by 80 lashes.

HOWEVER... as I promised to not hide anything and even though this is NOT part of the Quran, some scholars believe that The Prophet Mohammad PBUH changed the ruling for "married" men and women, that they should be stoned to death. This is a topic of debate among scholars but violent nations tend to apply what suites them. Again this is NOT in the Quran.

I'm glad that men and women are punished equally for the same crime and that there isn't a double-standard punishing only the women. :)

• Author
How do you perceive God when you talk with Him?

How do you see God and Angels when you talk to Them?

Do you have any visual image which is a symbol of God?

I fail to perceive God.

When I think of angels I can't help but see wings and beautiful creatures, a peaceful smile and lots of light.

No actually, I have neither an image or a symbol for God as far as I know... As far as I know God is undefinable. Imam Ali says this about God.

Praise is due to Allah whose worth cannot be described by speakers, whose bounties cannot be counted by calculators and whose claim (to obedience) cannot be satisfied by those who attempt to do so, whom the height of intellectual courage cannot appreciate, and the divings of understanding cannot reach; He for whose description no limit has been laid down, no eulogy exists, no time is ordained and no duration is fixed.

He brought forth creation through His Omnipotence, dispersed winds through His Compassion, and made firm the shaking earth with rocks.

The foremost in religion is the acknowledgment of Him, the perfection of acknowledging Him is to testify Him, the perfection of testifying Him is to believe in His Oneness, the perfection of believing in His Oneness is to regard Him Pure, and the perfection of His purity is to deny Him attributes, because every attribute is a proof that it is different from that to which it is attributed and everything to which something is attributed is different from the attribute.

Thus whoever attaches attributes to Allah recognizes His like, and who recognizes His like regards Him two; and who regards Him two recognizes parts for Him; and who recognizes parts for Him mistook Him; and who mistook Him pointed at Him; and who pointed at Him admitted limitations for Him; and who admitted limitations for Him numbered Him.

Whoever said in what is He, held that He is contained; and whoever said on what is He held He is not on something else. He is a Being but not through phenomenon of coming into being. He exists but not from non-existence. He is with everything but not in physical nearness. He is different from everything but not in physical separation. He acts but without connotation of movements and instruments. He sees even when there is none to be looked at from among His creation. He is only One, such that there is none with whom He may keep company or whom He may miss in his absence.

• Author
Rashad, in your mind, what is the signifigant difference between Sunni and Shi'ite? Is there a real philosophical difference, or is it a merely a question of authority? Also, what influence do the religious scholars at Qom have over the Muslim world? Apologies if these have been asked and answered. It's a long thread.

Read post number 88 http://www.loveshack.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244865&page=6

From what I know the scholars at Qom are considered to be "references" They have some rankings, Ayatu'Allah and Grand Ayatu'Allah and such, I really don't know much about it. In general I'm against separation, just read post 88.

Read post number 88 http://www.loveshack.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244865&page=6

From what I know the scholars at Qom are considered to be "references" They have some rankings, Ayatu'Allah and Grand Ayatu'Allah and such, I really don't know much about it. In general I'm against separation, just read post 88.

Right on. Sandwiched between my first response and your answer. I had forgotten I'd ever responded.:laugh:

• Author
Should the legs be completely covered by the skirt?

Thank you for your responses! They're helpful, and I'll keep them in mind while I plan for my visit! :)

Yeah, you'd wanna cover the legs, feet can be revealed though... Let me know what happens, and if you have any questions at all, I'll be here insh'Allah.

Yeah, you'd wanna cover the legs, feet can be revealed though... Let me know what happens, and if you have any questions at all, I'll be here insh'Allah.

Yay, I'm learning! :D Thank you very much!

In the case that someone came to a mosque dressed totally inappropriately, like wearing clothing that was too revealing, would people get upset or would someone ask them to leave, or would they understand if the person was new to mosques?

Stoning is NOT mentioned anywhere in the Quran, again I don't want you to take my word for it

not saying it was in the Quran, just wondered if it was, or just part of Iranian law.

actually, I kind of like the idea of adulterers getting 80 lashes ;)

• Author
In the case that someone came to a mosque dressed totally inappropriately, like wearing clothing that was too revealing, would people get upset or would someone ask them to leave, or would they understand if the person was new to mosques?

I guess it depends on how they perceive that person. If they think that you are walking in like that to disrespect their religion they'd be upset, if they assume that its out of ignorance concerning the matter then they wouldn't but you never can tell.

Actually when Islam was young and Muslims were few and oppressed in Mecca, Muslims were sanctioned and they were very poor, some of them couldn't afford proper clothes even the prophet PBUH himself, so they would wrap a cloth around their mid section and the rest of the body would be revealed.

• Author
not saying it was in the Quran, just wondered if it was, or just part of Iranian law.

actually, I kind of like the idea of adulterers getting 80 lashes ;)

adulterers get 100 lashes.

People who accuse others of committing adultery and fail to produce 4 witnesses get 80 lashes.