The Ask Rashad About Islam Thread.

• Author
On topic, where does the Nation of Islam and the nation of gods and Earths with there racial theories fall according to Islam. Are they the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses of the larger faith or just the Methodist of Islam, if you understand the general acceptance reference I am trying to make?

In Islam the difference of human colors is considered a sign. Signs in Islam are subject to adoration and pondering.

Quran 30:22

22. And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge.

Quran 49:13

13. O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you nations and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted

In the above verse, it is stated that Allah created some differences, mainly differences between men in women (anatomically) differences between nations and tribe (languages, colors and cultures). Then the reason for these differences was stated "That you may know one another". Then it states that in Allah's sight the noble ones are not the males, or the females or any certain nation or tribe, but rather nobility is based upon righteousness.

Also among the companions of the prophet Mohammad were...

Suleiman The Persian.

Bilal The Abyssinian.

Suhaib The Roman.

Prophet Mohammad also says.

there is no difference between an Arab and a non-Arab except in piety

Prophet Mohammad himself was an Arab, somewhat white in color and definitely not a black. All these racists beliefs have no basis in Islam. However we believe that Adam and Moses PBUT were Black. In fact Adam in Arabic is an adjective meaning "dark in color"

• Author
How do you feel about the proposed burning on 9/11?

We believe that burning the Quran is a respectable way of getting rid of it. In fact when a Quran gets old, worn out and becomes difficult to read, we burn it. Also if any paper gets torn out of the Quran we burn it. Simply because if we throw it, it might come into contact with filth and dirt and we don't want that.

So I actually don't mind the whole burning thing. I bet that one of the many people who buys one to burn it will decide to read it, that will be good :D

Also the Quran is memorized in the hearts of more than a million Muslims all over the world, so burning it will not harm it.

• Author
Why does the Quran say that Muslims should pray 3X a day but Muslims pray 5X?

The Quran neither says 3 nor 5 as far as I know... The Quran says PRAY period. The prophet Mohammad PBUH used to pray 5 times a day and that is way most Muslims including myself do that.

• Author
Jeesh, you really think God is Arabic??:laugh: :laugh:

Muslims do not believe that God is Arabic, in fact we believe that the scriptures revealed before the Holy Quran were not in Arabic, this is what we believe about god...

Quran Purification 112.

1. Say, "He is Allah, [who is] The One,

2. Allah, the Eternal Refuge.

3. He neither begets nor is born,

4. Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

Allah has no equivalent and therefore he is not Arabic.
reservoirdog1

No specific question at this point Rashad, but I also wanted to say thanks to you for taking the time to offer your insight as a practicing Muslim. It's the kind of thing that's desperately needed in times like these.

Best,

RD

The Quran neither says 3 nor 5 as far as I know... The Quran says PRAY period. The prophet Mohammad PBUH used to pray 5 times a day and that is way most Muslims including myself do that.

The Quran mentions only 3 different times to pray. In the middle of the day and at both ends of the night.

Also, why are dogs forbidden when in the Quran it says that even eating from animals that your dog catches is allowed and the 'people of the cave' had a dog companion?

Jeesh, you really think God is Arabic??:laugh: :laugh:

No, I believe that all religions hold the truth.

See, if one were right and the others were wrong then they would all be wrong.

In this case I was glad to see that there was no conflict in an important issue as to the name.

If you look at it, in India they call God Shiva, which sounds very similar to Jehovah.

To convert one simply has to declare the "shahada" which is. It can be said in any language, you can youtube it in Arabic though.

Once a person says, and believes the shahada, they are considered Muslim.

You are not required to pray and do all the other rites from day one of course.

After that you gradually attempt to learn what is required of you as a Muslim. The 5 pillars of Islam are.

-Shahada (declaration of faith)

-Prayer

-Zakkah (Giving alms to the poor and needy)

-Fasting the month of Ramadan. (today is the 29th or Ramadan, I'm fasting now :D )

-Pilgrimage (only to those who are financially and physically able)http://www.spaceandculture.org/uploaded_images/hajj-735922.jpg

Thank you so much! I appreciate it.

Rashad, thanks for such a great thread. A lot of the Qu'ran reads like the Bible. I found that really interesting. The verses you quoted in Page One of this thread are almost word for word in the Bible, or at least practically paraphrases of each other. I don't disagree that the Bible has been editted.

I have a couple of friends that converted from Christianity to Islam and back.

One commented that both were similar except their isn't the focus on physical beauty like their seems to be in Christianity (not that I could see what she was talking about, both recommend a modest wardrobe).

The other stated that while women were more respected and had more rights, she still felt very restricted in her dealings with the men (not allowed to look them in the face if she wasn't married to them, couldn't speak out of turn, etc.,etc..).

What are the rules for women in Islam?

Disillusioned
Because the Quran says we should not eat it.

No, the doctor is not evil. The Quran does not say much about the right and left hand as far as I know. However prophet Mohammad PBUH ordered Muslims to do certain things with the right hand and others with the left.

With the right hand we...

-Eat

-Shake hands

With the left hand we...

-Cover our mouth when yawning (the backside of the left hand)

-Cover our mouth when sneezing or coughing

-Wash ourselves in the toilet.

You wouldn't want me to sneeze on a hand and then shake yours would you?

I do. I never touch food with my right hand unless I've washed it... it's the one I use for handling filthy things like grimy engine parts. Such is my natural pref...

Interesting to know that if a gene is found for this, it would be against the rules to be born with that gene.

And what about women's role in Islam?

Are they considered second class citizens?

Why the need to cover up?

That's the part of it that gets my blood boiling- that in this day and age, women succomb to this line of thinking and accept it as a role.

• Author
The Quran mentions only 3 different times to pray. In the middle of the day and at both ends of the night.

Also, why are dogs forbidden when in the Quran it says that even eating from animals that your dog catches is allowed and the 'people of the cave' had a dog companion?

Quran 02:238

238. Maintain with care the [obligatory] prayers and [in particular] the middle prayer and stand before Allah, devoutly obedient.

That's One

Quran 11:114

114. And establish prayer at the TWO ends of the day and at the approach of the night. Indeed, good deeds do away with misdeeds. That is a reminder for those who remember.

THREE times are given here.

Quran 17:78-79

78. Establish prayer at the decline of the sun [from its meridian] until the darkness of the night and [also] the Quran [i.e., recitation] of dawn. Indeed, the recitation of dawn is ever witnessed

79. And from [part of] the night, pray with it [i.e., recitation of the Quran] as additional [worship] for you; it is expected that your Lord will resurrect you to a praised station.

Here is another two, but the one at night is repeated. There are also Bonus prayers that a person can pray anytime.

These are the main verses concerning the timing of prayer. However a literal "number" is not given.

Quran 20:14

14. Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.

Here is an example of the verses where no timing is given
  • Author
No, I believe that all religions hold the truth.

See, if one were right and the others were wrong then they would all be wrong.

In this case I was glad to see that there was no conflict in an important issue as to the name.

If you look at it, in India they call God Shiva, which sounds very similar to Jehovah.

To stick with the theme of the thread, here is a verse from the Quran addressing this issue.

Quran 17:110

110. Say, "Call upon Allah or call upon the Most Merciful [ar-Raúman]. Whichever [name] you call to Him belong the best of names." And do not recite [too] loudly in your prayer or [too] quietly but seek between that an [intermediate] way.

Once again, as clear as can be. It just bothers me how many Muslims never read the Quran and make it harder for themselves and others.
  • Author
The other stated that while women were more respected and had more rights' date=' she still felt very restricted in her dealings with the men ([b']not allowed to look them in the face if she wasn't married to them[/b], couldn't speak out of turn, etc.,etc..).

What are the rules for women in Islam?

Originally posted by D-Lish

That's the part of it that gets my blood boiling- that in this day and age, women succomb to this line of thinking and accept it as a role.

Similar posts, so I'm guessing each would be interested in my answers to the other's questions. This is going to be long.

We'll start from the top.

The Quran does not prohibit women from looking men in the face, as you will see from the verses bellow.

Quran 33:32-33

32. O wives of the Prophet, you are not like anyone among women. If you fear Allah, then do not be soft(flirt) in speech [to men], lest he in whose heart is disease should covet, but speak with appropriate speech.

33. And abide in your houses and do not display yourselves as [was] the display of the former times of ignorance. And establish prayer and give zakah(alms) and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah intends only to remove from you the impurity , O people of the [Prophet's] household, and to purify you with [extensive] purification.

The verses are addressing the wives of the prophet PBUH, it is stated that they are "NOT like anyone among women" therefore what is required of them is NOT required of other women. The verses say "do not be soft (flirt) in speech" which clearly means that they CAN speak with men, but not flirt. as it finally says "but SPEAK with appropriate speech"

Quran 33:53

53. O you who have believed, do not enter the houses of the Prophet except when you are permitted for a meal, without awaiting its readiness. But when you are invited, then enter; and when you have eaten, disperse without seeking to remain for conversation. Indeed, that [behavior] was troubling the Prophet, and he is shy of [dismissing] you. But Allah is not shy of the truth. And when you ask [his wives] for something, ask them from behind a Hijab [partition]. That is purer for your hearts and their hearts. And it is not [conceivable or lawful] for you to harm the Messenger of Allah or to marry his wives after him, ever. Indeed, that would be in the sight of Allah an enormity.

Again, this is only for the wives of the prophet. The reason for this is that the house of the prophet was open, men and women would come to ask his wives, especially Aisha who was a well versed scholar so Allah said that men should speak to the prophet's wives from behind a Hijab, because it troubled the prophet and that's a natural thing, any man would be troubled knowing that when he is away other men would come to his house to learn from his wives. Hijab was actually a curtain in the prophet's house and that's where the term Hijab came from.

So there you go, women are allowed to look men in the face and speak to them.

The rules for women are.

Quran 24:31

31. And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their gaze and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests [cleavage] and not expose their adornment [i.e., beauty] except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons,their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess [i.e., slaves], or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

This is very clear I guess.

As for the role of women in Islam, there is nothing specific really... for example Aisha the prophet's wife was a scholar, her house was ever full of men and women learning from her, specially after the prophet's death. She was even appointed by the prophet to command an army once. Also Khadija, the prophet's first wife was a trader and a business woman.

In the case of relationships, men are the ones obliged to feed, protect and look after the needs of women. If a woman is rich and wishes to feed her husband, it's well and good, as in the case of the prophet and his first wife Khadija who was way richer than him. But women are not obliged to do that.

Contrary to what most people think, women are not obliged to cook, while that's the traditional role for women in most societies the Quran does not order that, however the prophet's wives used to cook, and the prophet used to bake bread for them.

Are they second class citizens?- No.

Are they EQUAL to men? No.

Not that men are better or the opposite, but Islam acknowledges the difference between them.

Quran 49:13

13. O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you nations and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted

In the above verse, it is stated that Allah created some differences, mainly differences between men and women (anatomically) differences between nations and tribe (languages, colors and cultures). Then the reason for these differences was stated "That you may know one another". Then it states that in Allah's sight the noble ones are not the males, or the females or any certain nation or tribe, but rather nobility is based upon righteousness.
  • Author

well, it shouldn't... Don't you think that these women have the right to believe whatever they want to, regardless of whether you approve of it or not?

I do not approve of prostitution, but it doesn't make my blood boil, what I'm trying to say, we should just chill and try to understand one another without boiling our blood over it. :p

for example Aisha the prophet's wife was a scholar, her house was ever full of men and women learning from her, specially after the prophet's death. She was even appointed by the prophet to command an army once. Also Khadija, the prophet's first wife was a trader and a business woman.

And this mystifies me about the current (and past) Islamic culture. Why would Muslims, who regard Mohammed as their savior (equivalent to Jesus in Christianity), treat women the EXACT OPPOSITE of the way Mohammed treated his wives? I don't get it. :confused:

And this mystifies me about the current (and past) Islamic culture. Why would Muslims, who regard Mohammed as their savior (equivalent to Jesus in Christianity), treat women the EXACT OPPOSITE of the way Mohammed treated his wives? I don't get it. :confused:

Oh dear.... come on, a little research.....Did you know that Muslims regard Jesus as a great prophet? he is an important person in their History..... Muhammad is not their saviour as such. He is a great prophet. too, and the scribe who brought Allah's Word to the world. His prominence is unrivalled, but he isn't regarded as a saviour as such.... more as the significant and unbreakable link between Allah and mankind....

Did you also know that Jesus' mother, Mary, is mentioned more in the Qu'ran than she is in the Bible, and carries more importance?

Islam suffers the same problems as Christianity. The spokespersons of Islam are not immune to putting their own slant on things, should they so wish to do.

Just as Christianity has seen manipulators and fear-mongers pulling the Doctrine strings and proclaiming their interpretation of matters as the true word of God, so has Islam been subjected to much "bad press" and mistreatment.

• Author

That's what happens when people mix religion with their culture and some how justify the negative aspects of their culture by religion. For example in Saudi Arabia, women were not allowed to drive cars until recently and some how they kept trying to use Islam to justify that, while during the prophet's time Muslim women were riding horses and camels (which is equivalent to cars now). The prophet used to play and race with his wives, it is reported that she actually outran him once when he got old, you'd rarely see an Arab play with his wife, the sad thing is that most non-Arab Muslims, instead of reading about the prophet and reading the Quran, they just decide to copy Arabs.

What TaraMaiden said is true :D

• Author
Rashad,

This is the most interesting thread I´ve ever read on LS. You, my friend, are a hero.

Thank you so much for that, be sure to drop by and read whenever you are bored! :D

• Author
rashad. why are all mulims terorist sympathzers? why will you deny the truth?

Quran 60:8-9

8. Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes –from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

9. Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion – [forbids] that you make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers.

As is clear, we are to be righteous and just towards peaceful non-Muslims, however we are allowed to be aggressive towards those who fight us BECAUSE OF OUR RELIGION and that point is stressed twice, meaning that if a non-Muslim fights me over anything else I'm still ordered to be righteous and just towards them. And of course we are allowed to be aggressive towards those who expel us from our homes and invade us.

So no, I do not sympathize with terrorists. And I'm denying it because it is NOT the truth.

Quran 16:126

126. And if you punish [an enemy, O believers], punish with an equivalent of that with which you were harmed. But if you are patient – it is better for those who are patient.

We are also allowed to retaliate and fight back, but are advised to be patient.

• Author

Also I feel like I have to say this, I'm not claiming to be a perfect Muslim... some of y'all can see that from my other posts and from my stories that I share with you. I might be doing stuff that my religion advises me to not do, specially stuff concerning women but Allah understands that...

Quran 04:31

31. If you avoid the major sins which you are forbidden, We will remove from you your lesser sins and admit you to a noble entrance [into Paradise].

Quran 64:16

16. So fear Allah as much as you are able and listen and obey and spend [in the way of Allah]; it is better for your selves. And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul – it is those who will be the successful.

And sometimes I feel like I'm not able to do everything, as a human I cannot be perfect, but I believe my doctrine is.

Quran 02:286

286. Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people."

AMEN!

This is quite an epic thread. It really does anger me to see all the hatred toward Islam that is going on in the United States right now. Hatred only makes more hatred. To hear people say stuff like kill them all is just horible. I really think it's so stupid that they want to stop the ground zero mosque. I know they wouldn't stop a ground zero church even if some christian had been the one to cause 911 in the name of Jesus.

Of any religion that seeks to control the United States christianity seems to be the biggest threat.

Of any religion that seeks to control the United States christianity seems to be the biggest threat.

So the thread is a success because the anti faith do not see Islam as a threat...yet.

So basically we are talking numbers, as a minority faith in most of the countries represented here Islam gets a pass. While Christianity, due to their larger numbers and ability to turn elections in the nations represented here do not get a pass they are a threat. The biggest threat.

Should Islam reach that political percentage line, like perhaps they have done in France where assimilation into Frenchmen first and Muslim secondarily is expected, the perceptions of what is threatening will change.

Simon Attwood

I can't say that I agree with that, not that I am defending any particular religion against another. I don't believe that any religion is a threat. What is a threat, is men (and women) who will hide behind the veil of any religion to push their own agenda and hatred. All religions promote compassion, and Rashad has come here with compassion, but all religions, throughout history, have been used by man to justify, well, frankly, acts of evil, atrocities against his fellow man, murder, genocide, terrorism, etc.

Religion isn't the problem, we are.

why are all mulims terorist sympathzers? why will you deny the truth?

Not sure about sympathizers.

But in the last revelation of the Quran, Mohamed was ordered that if righteous people were being victims of tyrants it was their duty to put their life on the line to protect them.

Something like that, I'm sure Rashad could quote.

And if you read the letter to America from Bin Laden, in there he lists all the injustices he believes are happening in the Middle East.

:(