The Ask Rashad About Islam Thread.

I've actually condemned Osama and his actions, you should scroll up and read. And that's not just me trying to please anybody here, I have a verse (or two) from the Quran behind every opinion I share on this thread, which makes my opinions pretty much Islamic... b]whereas Osama and his fellow terrorist never use verses to back themselves up unless twisting them and taking them out of context... I quote FULL verse, together with their numbers so that everybody can verify it.

You really should not fool yourself here. I've seen Catholics, Fundamentalist, Jehovah's Witness's, Latter Day Saints and members of other Christian sects say similar things about their debate opponents all of my life. And I've seen my NOI nephews do the same with Nation of Gods and Earths and conventional Sunnis half of my life. Just because Osama's work is not in English on the internet don't suppose that the followers of his way were not inspired to don the explosive vest or take box cutters to women's necks because they didn't study the Quron. They just came to a different conclusion that you did.

Hi Rashad,

First off, your effort for wanting to educate objectively without passing judgement or expressing negativity for differences is in itself admirable and reflects well on your character.

Now, I just wish I could understand when comparing someone like yourself who represents the Muslim religion so exceptionally, and then there's Al-Qaeda and Hamas who preach from the same religion but instead murder innocent people in the name of Islam ...well, it's just confusing.

I know you mentioned that Osama's intentions were misguided, but I have a hard time understanding why so many terrorist organizations spin-off from the Muslim religion if it's principled in peace? Could you help me understand this please?

I do realize the majority of Muslims do not practice these actions but I also have a hard time wrapping my head around why any terrorists exist within Islam if the religion is as peaceful as it is advertised?

Thanks in advance,

Explorer

You know what I find REALLY interesting? All the people on LS who are creating threads, ranting and raving and claiming to know SO much about Muslims haven't made a single appearance in this one.

But I'm SO not surprised. :rolleyes:

I'm not since the Evangelic abandoned Love Shack as a mission field a couple of years ago and TPTB locked the Religion Are Dumb threads that stuff takes place on the other not faith specific forums.

I knew this argument would be thrown up. Well, I don't see any modern-day Christians hijacking passenger jet planes and flying them into downtown office buildings on bright September mornings when people are running late to the office because they're VOTING their right to form their own government.

Modern-day Christians may not operate on the same scale, but there are countless millions of so-called devout christians who abuse their positions daily, and create the most cruellest conditions for those in their flock.

Stuck in a room with The Pope and Rashad, I know whom I'd side with.

I wonder what the Quran says about "slaughter of the innocents." How many virgins with large eyes does one get for that?

Why don't you try getting a copy and reading it, instead of making unfounded, uninformed and rather unintelligent remarks?

I'll be honest with you, I condemn Islamist fanatics as much as anyone would, but you my friend, are doing yourself no favours in your contributions here.

Hi Rashad,

First off, your effort for wanting to educate objectively without passing judgement or expressing negativity for differences is in itself admirable and reflects well on your character.

Now, I just wish I could understand when comparing someone like yourself who represents the Muslim religion so exceptionally, and then there's Al-Qaeda and Hamas who preach from the same religion but instead murder innocent people in the name of Islam ...well, it's just confusing.

I know you mentioned that Osama's intentions were misguided, but I have a hard time understanding why so many terrorist organizations spin-off from the Muslim religion if it's principled in peace? Could you help me understand this please?

I do realize the majority of Muslims do not practice these actions but I also have a hard time wrapping my head around why any terrorists exist within Islam if the religion is as peaceful as it is advertised?

Thanks in advance,

Explorer

I wonder the same about the Christians that joined the KKK and the ones currently joining the militias all over the Country. Considering Christianity teaches to "turn the other cheek". I have a very hard time understanding the need to form and join militias.

Also, Christianity (my religion, and Judaism by extension as the verses I reference are from the OT) also teaches that we are to be kind to the "strangers within [our borders]". Yet, so many "Christians" want to be unkind to immigrants (legal and illegal).

I don't think the actions of these people can be explained by their religion. It can be assumed that they hide behind their religion and truly live by their ignorance. The Bible says that we "teach the traditions of men for doctrine" and that it leads us into error like the Blind leading the blind.

I wonder the same about the Christians that joined the KKK and the ones currently joining the militias all over the Country. Considering Christianity teaches to "turn the other cheek". I have a very hard time understanding the need to form and join militias.

Also, Christianity (my religion, and Judaism by extension as the verses I reference are from the OT) also teaches that we are to be kind to the "strangers within [our borders]". Yet, so many "Christians" want to be unkind to immigrants (legal and illegal).

I don't think the actions of these people can be explained by their religion. It can be assumed that they hide behind their religion and truly live by their ignorance. The Bible says that we "teach the traditions of men for doctrine" and that it leads us into error like the Blind leading the blind.

Rashad started this thread for us to ask questions about Islam, not Christianity. I did not say Christianity was better (Although I do believe less violent than Islam).

I do agree with your post being that this extremists are living by ignorance BUT their actions are still founded within Islam.

QUR'AN (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them."

QUR'AN (9:14) - Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace..."

QUR'AN (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

Rashad, do you believe in the literal translation of the QUR'AN?

. I did not say Christianity was better (Although I do believe less violent than Islam).

Go back a thousand years and see the violence carried out under the banner of christianity. Modern islamic extremists are pussycats by comparison.

Rashad started this thread for us to ask questions about Islam, not Christianity. I did not say Christianity was better (Although I do believe less violent than Islam).

I do agree with your post being that this extremists are living by ignorance BUT their actions are still founded within Islam.

QUR'AN (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them."

QUR'AN (9:14) - Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace..."

QUR'AN (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

Rashad, do you believe in the literal translation of the QUR'AN?

I know that you asked about Islam and that this thread is about Islam BUT the questions really have nothing to do with Islam exclusively as the same can be asked about other major religions.

Including the questions regarding literal translation of the Koran. It reminds me of the questions asked in threads started by Atheists asking Christians (and believers of other religions) if they interpreted some (silly) verses literally or not. Should a husband, or someone else in the community, cut off his W's hands for jumping into a dispute with him and another man? (Deut. 25: 11-12)

And if it happened in our time, would we condemn the Christian man that did it as a violent Christian following an antiquated religion (well, some obviously would)? Would we claim his actions are rooted/founded in Christianity since his actions were in keeping with the Bible? What would we say about a man that cuts his wife's hands off for trying to help defend him if he used the Bible to justify his actions?

I'm sure Rashad will answer you thoughtfully. I just wanted to post the obvious and very real opposite to your concerns. There are plenty of verses in the Bible about the wrath of God and how to treat unbelievers that attack Christians (and Jews).

I can differentiate different levels of what is essentially human nature, culture or psychological factors at play from faith (proper) due to receiving a 'calling' from God.

Do you know of many Muslims who have experienced a 'calling' from God themselves, seperate from the proposed calling of the central prophet in the Quran?

Take care,

Eve xx

Go back a thousand years and see the violence carried out under the banner of christianity. Modern islamic extremists are pussycats by comparison.

Are you refering to the Christian Crusades?

Also, when I said Christianity was less violent, I was making a current comparison; not going back in time. It seems to me that if a country's society does not evolve with time, then religion's principle instruction is relevant to where it left off. Contemporary education and world exposure seem to be a hopeful remedy.

BUT regardless, (And this may be a dumb question but is why I haven't been able to dive into any religion on the basis of faith alone) if you are not a literary follower of the Holy book that your religion follows, doesn't that automatically make you a hypocrite?

No.

One:

I don't have a Book, and

Two:

Our literature advises us that in all things we are our own evaluers, critics and taskmasters.

if we fail, it's our fault. But ain't nobody else gonna take a whuppin' to us, metaphorically or otherwise.

But I'll tell you what.... It's a darn sight tougher that way, than you'd ever think!

Are you refering to the Christian Crusades?

not exclusively

Also, when I said Christianity was less violent, I was making a current comparison; not going back in time.

how convenient

if you are not a literary follower of the Holy book that your religion follows, doesn't that automatically make you a hypocrite?

literary or literally? my religion has no book, but most religious writings are allegorical and not literal, this is the bit most people miss ;)

not exclusively

Well if you won't elaborate then I guess that particular discussion ends here :)

how convenient

It is. And also current. Should we be focusing on the past instead? That seems productive :rolleyes:

my religion has no book, but most religious writings are allegorical and not literal, this is the bit most people miss ;)

And who are you to say this? And what religion are you?

No.

One:

I don't have a Book, and

Two:

Our literature advises us that in all things we are our own evaluers, critics and taskmasters.

if we fail, it's our fault. But ain't nobody else gonna take a whuppin' to us, metaphorically or otherwise.

But I'll tell you what.... It's a darn sight tougher that way, than you'd ever think!

Seems responsible to me. You must be very self-disciplined!

I know that you asked about Islam and that this thread is about Islam BUT the questions really have nothing to do with Islam exclusively as the same can be asked about other major religions.

Including the questions regarding literal translation of the Koran. It reminds me of the questions asked in threads started by Atheists asking Christians (and believers of other religions) if they interpreted some (silly) verses literally or not. Should a husband, or someone else in the community, cut off his W's hands for jumping into a dispute with him and another man? (Deut. 25: 11-12)).

I don't think there's anything silly about all of the innocent people that died on 9/11 because of Al-Qaeda's literal interpretation of the Qur'an.

And if it happened in our time' date=' would we condemn the Christian man that did it as a violent Christian following an antiquated religion (well, some obviously would)? Would we claim his actions are rooted/founded in Christianity since his actions were in keeping with the Bible? What would we say about a man that cuts his wife's hands off for trying to help obvious and very real opposite to your concerns. There are plenty of defend him if he used the Bible to justify his actions?[/quote']

If one man did it? ...we would call him crazy.

If many did it, and it continued and grew in the name of its religion? ...why wouldn't we associate it?

• Author

hey guys...

I read everything and will attempt to answer/explain but as of right now I'm taking a 3 day road trip to visit my grandma its our Eid day (major islamic Holiday after the month of ramadan) and my books aren't with me and if I attempt to answer it wouldn't be proper, but I see everything, the violent verses in the Quran, the literal interpretation and all that. Just give me three days.

Thank you.

• Author

hey guys...

I read everything and will attempt to answer/explain but as of right now I'm taking a 3 day road trip to visit my grandma its our Eid day (major islamic Holiday after the month of ramadan) and my books aren't with me and if I attempt to answer it wouldn't be proper, but I see everything, the violent verses in the Quran, the literal interpretation and all that. Just give me three days.

Thank you.

The reason I'm starting this thread is because, I feel like many members here are seriously ill informed about Islam, so I'm here to answer all of your questions. I know you are going to ask, what branch of Islam do you follow? how do we know that this is not a softer photo-shopped version of Islam? I say I follow The Holy Quran, and that's where my answers are going to be from, with quotations from the Quran together with the number of verse and chapter so that everybody can verify it for themselves.

Remember Islam is what the Quran says it is, its not how Muslims behave!

Bless you for this attempt. You are a braver man than I am. They will not understand, nor believe you.

Bless you for this attempt. You are a braver man than I am. They will not understand, nor believe you.

It is true for any religion especially if the majority of population in the area is into different religion. But, people are different and some are interested in religion and they are capable to understand some points. Those people who are interested typically ask questions and they have curiosity and respect for the religion.

hey guys...

Thank you.

hey guys...

Thank you.

Are you going to be around for the next few days?

I want to respectfully visit a mosque as a non-Muslim. I have never been to one before. Would I be welcome? Does this happen often? Is there anything big I should keep in mind, doing that? Of course, I should dress modestly, and I should probably be quiet. I should probably also go at a time when there is no worship service going on. Does this website have good advice, and is there anything you'd like to add? http://www.ehow.com/how_5381417_visit-mosque-respectful-nonmuslim.html

Edited by GooseChaser
Its not for you to say what is and isn't possible.

No, it certainly isn't. I have no control over what Abmenijanahad or the ruling imams in Iran do (no separation of religion and culture there!). All I can do is observe and discern and interpret THE REAL WORLD around me, and call it like I see it. And the way I see it, people in Christian-based countries are enjoying freedom, democracy, self-determination, and the wealth that has been generated from those fundamental principles - while Islamic-based countries are stifled, repressed, way behind the times, and poor. Why is that?

As another poster (Explorer?) said in an above post, if Islam is such a peaceful religion, then why are all these terrorist organizations spinning-off from it? My question is the same, but from a more economic perspective - if Islam is such an enlightened path, then why do its followers consistently repress and stifle their populations?

Oh, and happy 9/11.

-OB

never forget

Seems responsible to me. You must be very self-disciplined!

No, not enough. I work on it daily, and fail a lot of the time. But I think it's best to not look at how far I have yet to go, but more productive to see how far I've come.

I'm better than I used to be.

Could do to bite my tongue a lot more than I do......:)