The Ask Rashad About Islam Thread.

• Author
Hi, I have a difficult question for you, I am trying to understand.

I read an article about Honor Killing in Islamic family in USA. If daughters or wife did something that disgraced the family, the man in the family will kill these women. According to this article, some mothers even helped her husband to kill her daughter because their daughter became Americanlized. sometimes the whole family will help to chase the black sheep down and kill them and report to police that those persons were missing.

So, my question is what is honor killing? is this true? if this is true, why a whole family would do such a terrible thing to their loved ones? they do this based on what values? what motivated them to do things like this?

Honor killing is not mentioned in the Quran as far as I know, I don't know what being Americanized really means... But yes there is a verse for that :D

Quran 06:140

140. Those will have lost who killed their children in foolishness without knowledge and prohibited what Allah had provided for them, inventing untruth about Allah. They have gone astray and were not [rightly] guided.

this is what we call "inventing untruth about Allah" i.e. doing something and claiming that Allah wants you to do so when in reality Allah doesn't.
  • Author
I see.

There is no point if one doesn't have freedom to choose a faith

Quran 02:256

256. There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.

taghut is anything worshiped other than Allah... taghut could be a person, an idol, an image etc..

• Author
Depends upon the nation, giving large enough majorities Sharia law can come into effect. In about half the nations with Islamic majorites Islam is the state religion which can go from the range of Church of England to Saudi Arabia/Afghanistan where no other religion is tolerated no matter what verse of the Qu'ran is pulled up. Then you have those in the middle were sectarian violence against outside faiths happen regularly for all kinds of reasons like the publishing of a political cartoon halfway around the world, using the Arabic word for God or being caught with a Muslim attempting to convert to another faith.

Actually I live in Sudan, where Sharia Law is applied, there are Churches here, Orthodox Coptic Churches, Catholic Churches and Protestants... there is nothing against that, we have holidays on the 25th of December and 7th of January (which is the day Orthodox celebrate Christmas). Our neighbors are Orthodox and they often invite us to their church on the 7th, my sister goes with them every year, I've been there once myself. There is nothing in the Quran that prohibits any of that. We even have Christian Schools here http://www.friendsofsudan.net/christian-schools in fact my ex who is a Muslim attended Sister School a Catholic school.

So from the verse, a mother may nurse her child for 2 complete years if she wishes to... during these years the father of the child has to provide for her

Thanks for the responses Rashad.

I had heard that the mothering role is important in the Quran and it's great that mothers are given the chance to be with their babies for all this time.

Actually I live in Sudan, where Sharia Law is applied, there are Churches here, Orthodox Coptic Churches, Catholic Churches and Protestants... there is nothing against that, we have holidays on the 25th of December and 7th of January (which is the day Orthodox celebrate Christmas). Our neighbors are Orthodox and they often invite us to their church on the 7th, my sister goes with them every year, I've been there once myself. There is nothing in the Quran that prohibits any of that. We even have Christian Schools here http://www.friendsofsudan.net/christian-schools in fact my ex who is a Muslim attended Sister School a Catholic school.

And thus I stated it ranges from the Church of England to the Saudi Arabians who will use just another scripture to justify their actions

I don't know where to go to buy a head scarf. Where can I find them? :o

You can buy any headscarf you want.

The Muslim girls where I live, wear many different types, some are very colourful and patterned.

• Author

Depends on where you live I guess... So how is going with you? did you visit the mosque yet?

Hey,

You can order them online from here.

I have actually ordered clothes from them and they are very good quality and they deliver right away.

Rashad hasn't been back for a while.

Real nice, people. Now the nice Muslim hates us, too.

Remember the format you ask a question and Brother Rashad provides his interpretation of the Holy Qu'ran with three or so scriptures.

;)

Then I say wait a minute the Grand Ayatollah Ali Hoseyni Khāmene’, Louis Farrakhan, and Robert Spencer all might just have a different take on the matter. Besides Christopher Hitchens, there are few which would attack his proof as they would a Fundamentalist Christian, doctrinal Catholic or Restorationist Christian did the same with Holy Bible scriptures

Not the love ace

Rashad, I've been following Islam and believe its an interesting and good religion, I've taken some good things from it.

However, the whole "beating your wife" thing has really kind of turned me off from Islam. What is that about? Do you support it?

• Author
Rashad, I've been following Islam and believe its an interesting and good religion, I've taken some good things from it.

However, the whole "beating your wife" thing has really kind of turned me off from Islam. What is that about? Do you support it?

Quran 04:34

34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard in the husband’s absence what Allah would have them to guard. As to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, advise them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance); for Allah is most High and Great (above you all). If you fear a breach between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family and the other from hers. If they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation; for Allah has full knowledge and is acquainted with all things.

I'm not satisfied with the translation of the first three sentences... It's a little different in Arabic and I just failed to find a better translation or to come up with one. As for the beating part, it is mentioned as a last resort. However beating in Islam has a general code.

Prophet Mohammad PBUH prohibited hitting in the face, and leaving marks i.e. extremely painful hits. This includes the lashing of adulterers and so on it should not be in the face and it should not leave a mark.

Do I support it?

I really have nothing to say after the Quran has spoken... but imo the Quran itself does not support it, it "allows" it in extreme cases. But lets take another look at the verse.

If you sense disloyalty and ill-conduct, you should first advise (intellectual) if that doesn't work then refuse to share her bed (emotional) and finally beat her (physical)... If Quran supported hitting it would have been the first option. I understand that this may not be to the liking of many people, but as I promised I'm going to share the verses unvarnished.

desertIslandCactus

"He who is deserted by friends and relatives will often find help and sympathy with strangers" .. Imam Ali

Is this used by Muslims to recruit terrorists .. even in America. ..

Rashad you said that Allah means the same thing as Jehovah, just in arabic right?

I'm wondering how that's true when Jehovah or YHWH, means "he causes to become". So I guess my real question is what is the literal translation of Allah?

• Author
Rashad you said that Allah means the same thing as Jehovah, just in arabic right?

I'm wondering how that's true when Jehovah or YHWH, means "he causes to become". So I guess my real question is what is the literal translation of Allah?

Quran 17:110

110. Say, "Call upon Allah or call upon the Most Merciful ar-RaúmŒn]. Whichever [name] you call – to Him belong the best names." And do not recite [too] loudly in your prayer or [too] quietly but seek between that an [intermediate] way.

Allah is ONE of God's names... Its the one most commonly used by Muslims, some Christian Arabs use it too. But it does not carry the same meaning as Jehovah if that's what Jehovah means. It's very hard for me to trace the origins of the word "Allah" and many scholars avoid talking about it, from my readings so far I came across this topic once. I do speak Arabic so this kinda makes sense to me.

The word "Wallah" means Excessive Love, from it came the word "Muwallah" which means Excessively Loved and Allah means He who is worshiped out of excessive love.

Salam to you Rashad,

I've spent yesterday and today reading your thread from page one. You are truly inspirational! I am Muslim and as I learn more everyday, I will be so much more knowledgeable (in Islam), God willing. This is what I spend my time doing these days (learning SO MUCH MORE), and one day I will start a thread or any form of Dawa in the sake of Allah (Almighty). Thank you and may God reward you for your good efforts.

Peace

• Author
Salam to you Rashad,

I've spent yesterday and today reading your thread from page one. You are truly inspirational! I am Muslim and as I learn more everyday, I will be so much more knowledgeable (in Islam), God willing. This is what I spend my time doing these days (learning SO MUCH MORE), and one day I will start a thread or any form of Dawa in the sake of Allah (Almighty). Thank you and may God reward you for your good efforts.

Peace

Salam to you too.

I'm glad you found this interesting.

Remember that the first word revealed in the Quran is "IQRA'A" = "READ" so you'd wanna READ and while you are at it, you might wanna READ the Quran itself first.

May Allah reward you for reading and guide us to what is best.