I prefer the way skinny women look.

To get back to the OP. Up until maybe thirty years ago, those women would be called normal or average because there were very few fat people. Nowadays, there is a distorted view of what is average or normal because there are so many more obese people. Fat is becoming the new normal, sadly. If you watch movies from the Thirties and Forties, when they make jokes about a character, male or female, being fat, that person looks like most people today.

As for weight loss, exercise is over rated. It's better for maintenance once the weight is off. I've never set foot in a gym. I work out at home with weights and DVDs and walk a minimum of a 1.5 miles per day outside in my neighborhood doing errands. There are loads of free workouts on youtube.com. I never spend more than an hour. If I'm really busy, I do half an hour. Interval training is very time effective. I know someone who only ran on the treadmill fifteen minutes daily but kept alternating the intensity, and he lost fifteen pounds changing nothing else. He also worked out with weights for half an hour beforehand.

Diet is much more important for weight loss. Brainygirl, you may think you aren't eating very much but until you weigh and measure every morsel and log it on fitday.com or sparkpeople.com or similar websites, you have no idea. You would probably be unpleasantly surprised.

If you have thyroid problems in your extended family, you might have a thyroid disorder. Even when you treat it with meds, you still have to diet and exercise to lose and maintain weight. Sorry, there is no magic bullet, even if you are a movie star -- you still have to do the exercise and eat the food.

To get back to the OP. Up until maybe thirty years ago, those women would be called normal or average because there were very few fat people. Nowadays, there is a distorted view of what is average or normal because there are so many more obese people. Fat is becoming the new normal, sadly. If you watch movies from the Thirties and Forties, when they make jokes about a character, male or female, being fat, that person looks like most people today.

Agreed on this. I'm a huge fan of vintage clothing, and there's a favorite store of mine in NJ that I went to a few times, bought a few things from. I did a promo gig for the owner; she would always go on and on about how I had the "perfect" body for vintage clothes. The store has hardly anything that would fit an average-sized woman today, let alone a woman who would be considered fat today.

There were some remarks made earlier about how many think thin/skinny people don't have feelings. I have experienced vicious comments from overweight family members or just completely nosy comments from total strangers about my weight. I love my body (I have an album for anyone who wants to know) but it took me a long time to get to that point.

If you're a cute boy I am all over that like syrup on waffles.:D

And I concur Marley is very pretty, and smart (her posts are awesome!) and Hockie is very cute. Of course they know that already as I have mentioned it to them before...those two have enviable qualities.;)

Thanks again 20-10, I really appreciate the kind words. :o

Speaking of albums, maybe I should post one myself? Though it might not be as good as hokie's..yet, lol

Hahah. You absolute should, Nate!

We need more of these.

I can't object to that... :rolleyes:

As for weight loss, exercise is over rated. It's better for maintenance once the weight is off. I've never set foot in a gym. I work out at home with weights and DVDs and walk a minimum of a 1.5 miles per day outside in my neighborhood doing errands. There are loads of free workouts on youtube.com. I never spend more than an hour. If I'm really busy, I do half an hour. Interval training is very time effective. I know someone who only ran on the treadmill fifteen minutes daily but kept alternating the intensity, and he lost fifteen pounds changing nothing else. He also worked out with weights for half an hour beforehand.

Diet is much more important for weight loss. Brainygirl, you may think you aren't eating very much but until you weigh and measure every morsel and log it on fitday.com or sparkpeople.com or similar websites, you have no idea. You would probably be unpleasantly surprised.

I can't agree more with this statement. Diet will make or break any type of fitness or health program. And truth be told, yes, to maintain a healthy physique, there is absolutely no need to step foot in a gym each day. Of course it will help, but some quick and simple exercise at home on your own can be plenty. Also, hours a day at the gym aren't necessary (and can actually be detrimental), even for more advanced trainers...

I love my body (I have an album for anyone who wants to know) but it took me a long time to get to that point.

You look great tigress! As with anything, it takes time and dedication, but in the end it's absolutely worth it.

You look great tigress! As with anything, it takes time and dedication, but in the end it's absolutely worth it.

Thanks Hokie :o. I'm not talking exercise though. I've always been naturally thin. I just always had people bringing me down about it, making me feel bad about myself. In 5th grade there were rumors about me being anorexic. Fifth grade! I didn't even know what that meant in 5th grade! :lmao:

Star Gazer
There were some remarks made earlier about how many think thin/skinny people don't have feelings. I have experienced vicious comments from overweight family members or just completely nosy comments from total strangers about my weight.

I'm not thin/skinny, and I'm not fat either. But I know what you're referring to, and it's what I was trying to point out in this thread - that yes, while there are people who put down overweight people (thin people usually), there are also overweight people who put down thin people... Even if it's a comment about brainless exercise or some comment that suggests an unhealthy level of vanity, those comments are still uncalled for because they essentially make a mockery of being thin.

• Author
Ok, so I don't look like those girls, but this is pretty close to me (not me) are you honestly telling me that the girl in that picture is so repulsive? Because I don't think she is (and while I am not a vane person, I don't think I am either).

http://playingthedozens.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/missengland2.jpg

And I find it ironic that all these people who are 1) online all day and 2) complaining about not being able to get a woman to pay attention to them are also the ones who are hyper critical and hyper analytical of women's figures. I have trouble believing that people who spend that much time online are is as great a shape as they are claiming.

I'm in very good shape and though I see the attractiveness in the picture I would not date a girl that looked like that when I met her.

I am online ALOT. All day at work and at school... and this is me: http://img338.imageshack.us/f/img338/8757/n10024764385254994203.jpg

Not super skinny by any means, but I don't think I am in horrible shape. People are hyper critical online because it is anonymous. They wouldn't be so much so face to face. The fact that we are in an anonymous venue also means that you have no idea how anybody looks or actually is. Many people on here are on here out of boredom (perhaps because of work/school)... but that doesn't mean they all have trouble getting girls and have no life.

Also - everyone finds different body-types attractive. Some people love the skin and bones kate moss, some people love the beyonce look, some people love Rosie!

You look pretty good

What is wrong with guys being attractive to fit girls? There are plenty of guys who are attractive to heavier girls, and girls in between... there are guys that like no boobs and a good butt, like huge boobs, and like both... there are girls who truly are attracted to heavier men, and despite how much I may fawn over a 6 pack or two, I have a tendency to go for tall and relatively thin/skinny guys. People like what they like!

I am with you though. I have big C/small D boobs, and there are shirts, even some basic t shirts, where I look 10 lbs heavier just because of my boobs... And despite how much I yearn to look like Megan Fox, I never will. She is shorter than me with a 24" waist (pre-photo shopped), and I am 5'7" with a 28" waist on my skinniest day... but who cares? Confidence is the sexiest trait of all - and there are guys that find you more attractive than any Scarlett or Megan... but now when you complain and insult people for what their taste is

I don't know whats wrong with being attracted to fit girls... I saw a string of chubby chaser threads so I had to make my own

So what exactly is the purpose of this thread?

i thought you already vented enough with your previous thread about curvy women.

Yeah I've never vented enough

Hes not chubby

yea me too

Haha good... I'm glad we agree on the skinny women thing

yeah, it's funny to see the women hijack a thread an post a bunch of pics. this is hilarious.

They always try

But, lest we forget ... Green prefers the way skinny women look. Let us hope his girlfriend is skinny.

My gf is skinny, she should be a victorias secret model with the way she looks

Me too. And so do most people, even when they try to convince others that they don't.

We have gotten so PC on LS, it's become sin to admit to not want to date/have sex with a fat person.

Its not just LS that has become pc

as someone mentioned: this thread derailed big time.

Looks like its touching on some major issues women are concerned with: weight and beauty. Its bringing out the claws and psychos in you's.

For what this threads worth, skinny women are at their most beautiful. I'm not talking anorexic, drug addicted or medically ill women but women who were born skinny naturally. Whats wrong with trying to maintain and maximize your genetics? There's nothing overly vain/neurotic about it, but it shows she prizes herself.

Sorry to say, but numerous studies (biology, psych etc etc) have published time and time again, BMI is the single predictor of attractiveness and not the waist to hip ratio. So skinny always wins out.

-this doesn't mean though that other body types are unattractive. Average is not unattractive. Obese is.

For the women posting mens pics, those are what we men refer to as 'jacked' not skinny. This is skinny-->

http://www.laurafreemansings.com/_Media/johnny-depp---portrait--c10.jpeg

Skinny women have better curves then a chunky women... Then just because of anorexia women alway like to attack healthy looking skinny women... so sad

I like healthy looking women which means neither anorexic looking nor morbidly obese.

Also people need to stop ripping on NJ. Yeah Christie sucks but so did Corzine and so did the person before him. This state can't elect a decent governer to save it's life but it has it's good points.

Those women in my photo link look healthy

I think the dispute is unnecessary, presuming two women have a healthy BMI, the one with a greater waist-to-hip ratio will be valued more. Of course research shows a greater consistency of attraction with BMI, because a woman with a large BMI will be seen as less attractive, a woman with a healthy BMI will be seen as more attractive. Large women can have good hip-to-waist ratios, but they are still overweight.

The skinny women are going to have the better ratios

Skinny women for the win :)! That girl in the red bikini is insanely hot (wow!). Just going by looks, I'd date all of em'. Thanks for the memories even though jealous people tried to derail the heck out of this thread.

For the win!

And I concur Marley is very pretty, and smart (her posts are awesome!) and Hockie is very cute. Of course they know that already as I have mentioned it to them before...those two have enviable qualities.;)

that smart comment just made my night, thanks girly! and speaking of syrup on waffles, I have been allllllllll about the men you've posted recently- you have a good eye;)

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments! hoorayy! I wish more threads were so diplomatic. :bunny:

harmfulsweetz
All these pictures of ripped guys is making me insecure. :(

:love::love::love: sends love your way :love::love::love::love:

:laugh::p

I'm not thin/skinny, and I'm not fat either. But I know what you're referring to, and it's what I was trying to point out in this thread - that yes, while there are people who put down overweight people (thin people usually), there are also overweight people who put down thin people... Even if it's a comment about brainless exercise or some comment that suggests an unhealthy level of vanity, those comments are still uncalled for because they essentially make a mockery of being thin.

Agreed. To my mind, if you're within your healthy height/weight range then there's really no cause to stress out or pay attention to people who want to nitpick that you're 5 pounds below or above their notion of ideal.

If someone wants to get into a taxing diet/exercise regime for a while in an attempt to optimise their appearance, then rather than being mocked and accused of vanity, they deserve extra credit for the discipline they're applying (provided they don't overdo it and make themselves ill). It doesn't mean that people who aren't going crazy with the dieting and exercise thing merit rebukes and insults, but I agree with you that it's annoying when people bitch about people going to the gym and describe them as ridiculously vain or shallow. It's no more shallow to spend two hours watching tv from a treadmill or exercise bike than it is to watch it from the couch. It just takes a bit more discipline and effort, that's all.

I was fairly heavily into the gym thing a couple of years back. Then the trainer suggested I could get my fat level down to something ludicrous like 12%. I think he was so used to training men that he simply didn't understand women's bodies and failed to appreciate that 12% would be wholly unacceptable for a female of my age. I'd just had a fitness assessment, the results of which indicated I had the fitness and physique of a professional female athlete my age. While the fitness instructor thought this was marvellous, he was still adamant that I could get my fat ratio down to 12%. Not long after that, a male acquaintance told me that in my facebook picture I didn't look fat by a normal person's standards, but that I "could do better."

Something switched off. Twinges in my knees were telling me I was really starting to overdo the treadmill. I decided that in all the circumstances I was getting a bit fed up with pushing my body beyond the limits on a daily basis, and that it really wasn't worth keeping the regime up. For a while I stopped going to the gym altogether. Now I think that I'm taking a far more realistic approach to it. Cycling and walking most days, swimming a couple of days a week and having a couple of not all that taxing sessions in the gym (eg burning up maybe 400 calories in a session, whereas before I'd often burn up to 1,500).

There's a fine line between spurring someone on with tough love, and demotivating them by telling them that they're just not good enough. Men who do the latter sometimes genuinely mean well, other time they're just trying to be sh*tty and controversial. Either way, they can be bad news for the health of the women they come into contact with if those women pay too much attention to them.

In 20, 30, 40 years time, long after the people who feel the need to constructively criticise our bodies have vanished from our horizons, we'll be left dealing with the consequences of how we looked after those bodies of ours. The mother of a friend of mine was a dancer in her youth. Now she has mobility problems as a result of pushing her body beyond its limits for all those years. The mother of another friend died of a heart attack recently. Years of swinging between binge-eating and fasting taking its toll.

Looking after our bodies should be a priority above letting ourselves get pressured into foolish choices or obsessive levels of starvation/exercise by the bunch of random strangers who constitute society.

Edited by Taramere
Pink Cupcakes

Eh, skinny is as skinny does. Some guys think a size 8 with good muscle tone is "skinny" and "hot" while others might think she is chubby.

Who cares?

It's all about being happy with yourself, and if you want to change what you have, go for it.

kiss_andmakeup

I'm going to start a thread entitled "I prefer apple pie over cherry," since everyone seems so keen on starting threads about their personal preferences lately.

I'm pretty slim (though not anorexic looking or stick-like) and I've never had trouble getting guys. My curvier friends haven't either. As long as you take care of yourself, are healthy, and know how to dress to flatter your body, you're good.

Ok, so I don't look like those girls, but this is pretty close to me (not me) are you honestly telling me that the girl in that picture is so repulsive? Because I don't think she is (and while I am not a vane person, I don't think I am either).

http://playingthedozens.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/missengland2.jpg

And I find it ironic that all these people who are 1) online all day and 2) complaining about not being able to get a woman to pay attention to them are also the ones who are hyper critical and hyper analytical of women's figures. I have trouble believing that people who spend that much time online are is as great a shape as they are claiming.

She has a pretty face but she's obese and could stand to lose 20-30 lbs. and would still not be "skinny."

Oh my, I see my post stepped on quite a few men's toes. ;) How is it off-topic to chime in to a thread about personal preferences regarding the opposite sex's appearance? Or is the only 'right' thing to do, to applaud the OP for his preferences, and we each need to start our own thread if we want to discuss ours? Wouldn't that lead to a spam of pointless threads, then?

Or is the REAL reason why some men are so offended... because they love declaring their requirements for a woman who looks like this: (http://cuteoutfitsgalore.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/megan-fox.jpg) , while trying to convince themselves that they don't look like this (http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_295/121760761805apyf.jpg), and my photos of fit men struck an unfortunate chord? ;)

Back on-topic, another yummy male photo (in my personal opinion, of course): http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/desmondhaynes/6pack20of20men1.jpg . I find that I like the body of the guy in the middle with the crewcut the most though, even though his muscles aren't that obvious. Strange!

Edited by Elswyth
Or is the REAL reason why some men are so offended... because they love declaring their requirements for a woman who looks like this: (http://cuteoutfitsgalore.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/megan-fox.jpg) , while trying to convince themselves that they don't look like this (http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_295/121760761805apyf.jpg), and my photos of fit men struck an unfortunate chord? ;)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: That is hilarious!

I have to ask, Elswyth. What search terms did you google to conjure up that vision? Is thumbs.dreamstime an "adult baby" site?

All I had to do was type my name into Google to get that picture...first one that popped up, too...

All I had to do was type my name into Google to get that picture...first one that popped up, too...

Stop fishing with false modesty for bait. I had a gander at those pictures of yourself you put up a few weeks ago.

You sexy man beast you...:bunny:

Stop fishing with false modesty for bait. I had a gander at those pictures of yourself you put up a few weeks ago.

Heh, it was meant to be a joke... :o

But now it's not as funny...but maybe it wasn't funny to begin with...darn...now I can hear the sad Charlie Brown Christmas song playing... :(

Originally Posted by brainygirl viewpost.gif

[COLOR=#660000]http://playingthedozens.files.wordpr...ssengland2.jpg[/COLOR]

She has a pretty face but she's obese and could stand to lose 20-30 lbs. and would still not be "skinny."

Beauty, and "obese", is relative.

I'm a thin woman. I don't need a thread saying that men like thin women, because media and culture scream that every day. Threads praising the attributes of "thick" women are awesome! Lets love on all women's bodies :love:

I question the "manhood" of a man who can not see the beauty of the woman in the photo brainygirl linked above. Those curves are womanhood--bellies and hips that grow babies. I'm smaller, and still very much a woman, but many, many healthy, fit women look closer to that photo than like me, especially during and after pregnancy. Please, I beg of you men who seem to only like flat bellied women--don't marry and have kids. Your future wives deserve to feel sexy and desired during all the stages of their lives.