Not Going to Breast-Feed

threebyfate

• Author

Thanks for your bottle feeding stories.

I'm not worried about weight loss. As it stands, I'm already behind my doctor's recommended weight gain and have been since day 1. Tough. I'm not going to eat fatty crap, just to gain weight and refuse to eat to the point of discomfort. Bump isn't suffering for it, so it's no big deal. My doctor is just concerned of the impact on me, rather than Bump, albeit she's now less worried, since I'm not going to breast-feed, hence don't need the fat reserves as much as someone who will be breast-feeding.

Just dont let those La Lech League people get to you. Its like a cult. They want you to breast feed your kids until they are old enough to drive.

Just dont let those La Lech League people get to you. Its like a cult. They want you to breast feed your kids until they are old enough to drive.

Yep....I still have flashbacks of a 3 yr old pulling at her Mother and saying 'booby, booby' in the middle of a restaurant....obviously an extreme example :)

• Author

:laugh: 2sure, you're 2funny! No, I won't be swayed by external pressure. Both my GP and OBGyn, as well as others, have tried but it's not going to work.

silverfish, that's a horrific visualization. Truly, the thought of suckling a baby, does nothing for me.

Anyone else have any bottle feeding stories?

laRubiaBonita

OP- will you enlighten us to the Pro's and con's that have lead you to the bottle choice?

what is the benefit for you? how will bottles liberate you? how will bottles help create the bossom family bonds?

No, I won't be swayed by external pressure. Both my GP and OBGyn, as well as others, have tried but it's not going to work.

I am curious why they tried unless they felt there might be some benefit to it. Perhaps they know something as professionals (and possibly mothers) that new mothers might not know?

silverfish, that's a horrific visualization. Truly, the thought of suckling a baby, does nothing for me.

Ya know...you said this twice or more. Many women have a complete turn around when they actually hold their own baby in their arms. It is not the thought of "suckling a baby," then it becomes the thought of "nursing MY baby."

If your mind is made up and nothing can sway you, as a curious question...what is your reason for reading bottle feeding stories? Is it to learn what to do or not to do?

OP- will you enlighten us to the Pro's and con's that have lead you to the bottle choice?

I had this question, too, especially after I read that your doctors suggested and advocated breast feeding.

Thanks for bearing with us, but I am guessing after this long that you knew you would get many reactions to your thread. :D

I love my daughter, I am a good mother, full of maternal and nurturing instincts.

But I have to admit that sometimes when I was pregnant I felt kind of....like some kind of biology experiment. As though my body had been taken over by an alien. Sometimes, it grossed me out just a little for a second.

Breast feeding often made me feel ...more like a mammal than anything else. And the leakage? Ewww.

And all of that is OK.

laRubiaBonita

you will be able to eat more onions and garlic with out worrying about upsetting baby if you bottle-feed.

ANd DRINK WINE!!!!

In the UK, the government is currently running a large ad campaign to try to convince mothers to revert to the 'outdated social pressures' and breast feed. They are citing lowered levels of adult diabetes, cancers, heart troubles along with short and mid term benefits in the form of passed on immunity to several nasty diseases especially tummy troubles. I presume they got the idea from the best scientific advice available at the time (but yes I do realise that scientists aren't always right :D, just more often than not).

(I post this not because the OP has any intention of listening but for the advice of those others who have been considerate enough to post, I am under no illusions that the OP will give it any grey-space)

• Author

Does anyone else have any more bottle feeding stories? I'd love to hear about your challenges and also, your successes. :)

Does anyone else have any more bottle feeding stories? I'd love to hear about your challenges and also, your successes. :)

My younger brother was bottle fed. He was a sickly child with psychological issues later in life, never held down a proper job, married the first woman who smiled at him and hasn't got two pennies to rub together.

I was breast fed, am incredibly intelligent, witty, good lucking (sic), have a brilliant wife and a good career.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I did know this couple when I was in the military who bottle fed. This couple said they could never satisfy their baby with a bottle for some reason - I mean they said he always seemed to never get enough. Their solution was to use a cross cut nipple and add mashed potatoes to his formula. :eek: He was about 50# at 12 mos. and looked like the Michelin tire man. He's most likely diabetic by this point, as grossly overweight as he was at that early age.

I just don't know many people who bottle fed I guess. :o

I bottled-fed all three of mine. With my oldest, I actually intended to breast feed but omgosh...it was intensely painful for me. I got through two days of breast feeding then it was on to formula.

All three were perfectly healthy children and are now perfectly healthy adults. I now have three grandchildren who were (and are) bottle fed and they are perfectly healthy as well.

I do remember feeling quite emotional when I breast fed my oldest. It was an intense bonding experience. But there was also intense bonding when giving the younger two their first bottles, also.

• Author

Thanks scared007. It's always good to hear from people with real experiences. :)

• Author

Does anyone else have any real experiences with bottle feeding? I'm interested to read about your challenges, successes and also, how you overcame assorted challenges. Tips on the types of things you did while bottle feeding, what worked for you, etc., would be great! :)

laRubiaBonita

OP- do you intend to use the tilted bottle... or the the straight one?

i wonder if there is that big a difference?

with my little sister, she was on formula at night (my mother worked night shift then), we used old school bottle with the plastic liner. my older sis and i used to push the air out and then some formula and "write" on the ceiling and light panels in "milk" -and- we use the bottles as water guns!!!! So mark that as Another positive for formula!

TwinkletOes26

ok i was going to hursh and not say anything but i just cant LOL. Look i understand some people think that you should breast feed and that you should only bottle feed if you cant(medical reasons) but look in the end its tbf baby.

I was bottle fed and I grew up fine.I dont think I will breast feed when I have a child mainly bc i want to be able to get back to work as soon as I can. I also dont want to worry about dealing with leaking and such.

I dont think bottle feeding a baby will hinder the childs development. It really isnt that serious...studies dont show that your baby will die if you dont breast feed. So I dont get where all this attacking is coming from i really dont. Especially since all that was asked for was bottle feeding stories not should she or should she not breast feed.

TBF its your baby your decision dont allow anyone on here or irl make you feel bad.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/your-babys-feeding-breast-vs-bottle

Disclaimer this is MY opinion not aimed at anyone else. Opinions are like buttholes everyone has one ;)

Edited by TwinkletOes26
  • Author

Thanks Tt, I've already made up my mind so it's not going to change, so the question of "to breast feed or not" wasn't the intent of this thread, as defined in the opening post. I was just looking for stories from people who have bottle fed their children, stories that might help me when I start to bottle feed.

As always on LS, the path of the thread just kind of wanders to all aspects of feeding babies, rather than just bottle feeding babies! :laugh:

laRubiaBonita
Thanks Tt, I've already made up my mind so it's not going to change, so the question of "to breast feed or not" wasn't the intent of this thread, as defined in the opening post. I was just looking for stories from people who have bottle fed their children, stories that might help me when I start to bottle feed.

As always on LS, the path of the thread just kind of wanders to all aspects of feeding babies, rather than just bottle feeding babies! :laugh:

but TBF- girl... you know i only wish the best for you and bump.... and i respect your choice and your right to even have the option to choose!! :bunny::)