Not Going to Breast-Feed

threebyfate

how would one know if he was breast-fed or not? me mum is dead. should i ask my dad? it may explain some things

do mums tell their grown kids they were breast fed?

• Author

I know about the pros and cons to breast feeding, from a nutritional perspective. It still doesn't sway me, especially considering the impact to people who have or haven't been breast fed.

it is really not......

No, it's not. The colostrum especially, which is what first comes in, supports a healthy immune system. Nothing man made can replace it.

ahhh millions of kids were raised on formulae and they are fine

ahhh millions of kids were raised on formulae and they are fine

Yeah. Like my friends whose girls were both bottle fed and were sickly little creatures when they were young. Unlike my breast fed babies. :D

Listen, there has been enough research that proves breast feeding is nutritionally more beneficial as well as having advantages where a healthy immune system is concerned. It just is what it is. Unless you don't want to believe what any doctor may tell you. After all, what would a mere doctor know about the health and well being of a baby? :p

GorillaTheater
I kinda figured you weren't the breast feeding type o' gal.

Are you kidding me? As warm and cuddly as TBF is?

Listen, there has been enough research that proves breast feeding is nutritionally more beneficial as well as having advantages where a healthy immune system is concerned.

doesn't breast feeding contribute to saggy bOObs?

If a woman is so ignorant as to let 'em swing in the breeze when they're engorged with milk, maybe so. Most of us are smarter than that. ;)

In a la leche league meeting there was a gastroenterologist who was dead set of breastfeeding her baby, come what may (and she had A LOT of challenges) - because in her practice she sees a clear and consistent link between intestinal diseases and digestive diseases and formula feeding.

Personally, I make no bones about the fact that I am pro breastfeeding and I consider formula to be sub-par food for babies. They get no support for their immune system, and milk is a living food - it changes according to what your baby needs. Hot outside? breastmilk suddenly contains more water. Flu going around? Suddenly your breastmilk sends baby antibodies. I have the flu right now, my son is running around like Animal from the muppet show.

But you know, whatever. Everyone always does whatever they want, regardless of scientific evidence to the contrary.

Breastfeeding requires a big committment, and not everyone is cut out for it. Just like not everyone is cut out to stay at home with their baby.

• Author

Did anyone else make this same decision and follow through with it?

Here is the question in my initial post. I've sincerely got no interest in whipping up the drama about who I am or if what I've decided is right or wrong, based on other peoples' preferences and how they ran their lives. What I'm interested in, is the opinion of people who've made a similar choice.

If you've breast fed yourself and want to provide your story, that's fine. But stay away from the personal slights.

laRubiaBonita
how would one know if he was breast-fed or not? me mum is dead. should i ask my dad? it may explain some things

do mums tell their grown kids they were breast fed?

i bet you were alpha

I kinda figured you weren't the breast feeding type o' gal.

i thought so too

nope- genetics.

Here is the question in my initial post. I've sincerely got no interest in whipping up the drama about who I am or if what I've decided is right or wrong, based on other peoples' preferences and how they ran their lives. What I'm interested in, is the opinion of people who've made a similar choice.

If you've breast fed yourself and want to provide your story, that's fine. But stay away from the personal slights.

If you already made up your mind, come hell or high water or evidence regarding the health benefits to a child, then why create the thread? :confused:

Just do what you want.

• Author

I`m reposting my original question, for those who don`t understand why this thread was created. It helps to read what the OP has posted.

you should do whatever u feel best

I`m reposting my original question, for those who don`t understand why this thread was created. It helps to read what the OP has posted.

I read, and I still fail to understand why the thread was created if you don't want to hear all the pros and cons and already have your mind made up.

So you get a bunch of answers: No Yes No No Yes. What good is that?

Or... are you already aware what would be best health wise for your baby and need bolstering for your own decision?

Don't worry about what others think. Just do what you want.

• Author
you should do whatever u feel best
Yes I will alpha, as I always do. But I am curious to hear from members who also chose the same route of not breast-feeding.

Congrats Tbf! :):bunny:

I chose not to breastfeed either of my two and neither have allergies. Smart too. I have no regrets about choosing not to breastfeed. :)

My mother only breastfed one of 4 kids and the one that was breastfed is the only one with allergies. I think some of the so-called baby health advantages are bunk. :o

I loved it when I breastfed my son but by around the 5-mo mark, I was getting tired of it, so by the 6th mo, he was on the bottle and food only. I have no regrets about it but there came a point when I just wanted my body back, so to speak. Plus, I stayed at home full-time so it made breastfeeding easy. I wouldn't have done it if I worked. It's your choice but it is excellent for your baby's health. Nothing can replace that. Even if you only do it for a couple of months, it's very good for them.

One thing I noticed about it is that it made me slow down and appreciate my baby more. We can get very caught up in our day but some of my fondest memories are of me sitting quietly with my son.

• Author
Congrats Tbf! :):bunny:

I chose not to breastfeed either of my two and neither have allergies. Smart too. I have no regrets about choosing not to breastfeed. :)

My mother only breastfed one of 4 kids and the one that was breastfed is the only one with allergies. I think some of the so-called baby health advantages are bunk. :o

Ah, nice to see someone else who`s made the same choice. It`s great to hear that your children didn`t suffer for it. From what I`ve seen of the children who weren`t, including adults who weren`t breast fed, the long-term effects are negligible, if even to the point of non-existent.

Perhaps it`s of greater concern in third world countries, where disease is so rampant and healthy environments don`t exist, at least for the majority.

This is not a small decision. All I suggest is that you make a fully informed choice as this really does matter. Your "friends" who talk about minimal short term benefits are not well educated on this subject.

I am NOT religious about this - a small percent of women their breasts simply don't produce enough milk - so maybe you won't be able to do it. But the benefits have been studied extensively - and many separate studies have all come to the same conclusion.

I can't imagine how much inconvenience I would go through for an extra 7 IQ points - A LOT.

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_iq.html

I've been asking around to my friends/family who've had kids, what they would have changed.

Bar none, all of them told me not to stay away from buying furniture that's non-convertible, to toddler appropriate, then child appropriate. The baby stage doesn't last very long, on the scale of things.

Surprisingly, the majority suggested that they regret breast-feeding, due to restrictiveness, with minimal short-term return for their children. Since the thought of breast feeding has zero interest for me, I've decided not to breast feed and nothing will guilt me into doing so.

• Author

7 IQ points is inaccurate. After removing the socio-economic factors, the difference was 3.1 IQ points whereby these studies don`t go any further than 6 years old.

Both my husband and I have tested high on IQ, so more than likely, junior will also be similar, so if this is truly a loss of 3.1 IQ points, over the long-term to adult-hood, it`s a pretty negligible loss, if it`s even true.

greatgirlfriend

Breastfeeding is a choice, just as formula is. Most of my friends didn't breastfeed and I won't either if I have kids. For one, I'll likely be going back to work within a few weeks. Second I think public nursing is gross. Third, I want my husband to be just as involved as me with raising the baby since it's likely we'll both work.

I am tired of the breastfeeding nazis who make formula feeding parents look like terrible people. It's a choice. One of my friends was feeding her baby formula when a lactation person came in and yelled at her! Another one had one of these women grab her boobs after she said she was going to formula feed. Not cool.

The studies on breastfeeding are over rated. There have been highly successful people who weren't nursed. In fact, from the 50's-70's nursing was looked down upon and then most babies were bottle fed.

• Author
The studies on breastfeeding are over rated. There have been highly successful people who weren't nursed. In fact, from the 50's-70's nursing was looked down upon and then most babies were bottle fed.
Yup. Many of the breast-feeding advocates were bottle-fed babies...