Not Going to Breast-Feed

threebyfate

I get annoyed by the super gung ho breastfeeders who have no consideration for other people.

Other people like their babies?

Look, I have no regrets about breastfeeding. And no, I have no way of proving that my son being breastfed is the sole reason why he was never sick. I only know that studies have shown that babies that got milk from their mother had the benefit from it helping their immune system.

But it is not my tahtahs and it is not my child. Whatever tools TBF wants to employ in the rearing of her own child is her right.

Ah, nice to see someone else who`s made the same choice. It`s great to hear that your children didn`t suffer for it. From what I`ve seen of the children who weren`t, including adults who weren`t breast fed, the long-term effects are negligible, if even to the point of non-existent.

Perhaps it`s of greater concern in third world countries, where disease is so rampant and healthy environments don`t exist, at least for the majority.

I don't know what kind of baby formulas are currently on the market but I also chose to only feed mine baby formulas that contained no or low iron because I think they are easier for a baby to digest. ;)

The reasons I chose not to breastfeed included the following:

I didn't want to be the only one physically capable of producing the milk required to feed the baby

I didn't want the engorged sore, leaky breasts or the deflated ones

I wanted to know how much the baby was ingesting

I didn't want to put my hungry newborn at risk of dehydration waiting for "my milk to come in"

I'd observed friends breastfed babies grabbing at women's breasts when they're hungry and was "yucked out" by it. :sick:

The thought of "baby teeth" and having a "teething" baby biting at my boobs sounded painful. :eek:

http://www.pregnancy.org/article/how-breastfeeding-benefits-add

This is a link I found that shows the benefits of breast feeding month by month. Even if you don't have the ability or desire to do it long term, it shows how doing it in the short term has great benefits not only to the baby, but the mother too.

I was only able to breastfeed for four months.

TBF,

If I had a magic wand could reduce your IQ yes YOUR IQ by 3% you would be ok with that? Cause I sure wouldn't be ok with someone taking 3 points from me and like you my starting point is not the center of the bell curve.

Clearly you have researched this. I am curious - you must have seen the research on the other benefits also - including allergies.

Do you really think it is easier to bottle feed? Especially when home/at night.

To the other poster who said she didn't breast feed and her and her 2 kids don't have allergies. Gosh that sure is nice. And she must know a wholly new branch of mathematics to be able to draw meaningful conclusions from a statistical universe of 2. Or at most 6 when you include what her parents did.

Your body/your kids/your choice. Your kids are going to be competing for jobs in a very different world - glad you are so confident that your/hubbies genetics will get the job done.

This has been hands down the most disappointing post I have read in the last year.

7 IQ points is inaccurate. After removing the socio-economic factors, the difference was 3.1 IQ points whereby these studies don`t go any further than 6 years old.

Both my husband and I have tested high on IQ, so more than likely, junior will also be similar, so if this is truly a loss of 3.1 IQ points, over the long-term to adult-hood, it`s a pretty negligible loss, if it`s even true.

• Author
I don't know what kind of baby formulas are currently on the market but I also chose to only feed mine baby formulas that contained no or low iron because I think they are easier for a baby to digest. ;)

The reasons I chose not to breastfeed included the following:

I didn't want to be the only one physically capable of producing the milk required to feed the baby

I didn't want the engorged sore, leaky breasts or the deflated ones

I wanted to know how much the baby was ingesting

I didn't want to put my hungry newborn at risk of dehydration waiting for "my milk to come in"

I'd observed friends breastfed babies grabbing at women's breasts when they're hungry and was "yucked out" by it. :sick:

The thought of "baby teeth" and having a "teething" baby biting at my boobs sounded painful. :eek:

The friends and family who regretted breast feeding had similar reasons, to an extent. They felt it was too restrictive for no apparent long-term benefits.

For that matter, formula makers have since started adding DHA and AA, into formula, which ramps up the fat processing abilities for babies who have the specific gene variant of the C version of FADS2, the ones who benefit more from being breast fed. The studies being cited in this thread were done prior to the additives put into formulas.

Both my husband and I have tested high on IQ.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:Sh*t girl , you have no idea just how much you crack me up...:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I didn't exactly 'decide' not to breastfeed the first time, my baby decided for me. He wasn't gaining weight fast enough, and the doc recommended bottle feeding. I did feel like a failure because it does get shoved down your throat how much better it is for your baby. Thing is, it takes up hours of your day and you have to just sit / lie there....it's pretty demoralising if the baby then isn't gaining weight and you feel like it's your fault ('technique' and so on)

I breastfed second time, no problem. He got the hang of it straight away, and I kept going til he was 4 months old. After 2 bouts of mastitis, I decided enough was enough (it's agony), also breastfeeding in public was not my thing at all, and I got so tense trying to do it 'discreetly' it didn't always work. Trying to breastfeed in front of my father in law was pretty excruciating.

My eldest is by far the healthier child now, although he had more illnesses at the 2-5 yr old stage. The littlest has had more time off school, and also is doing less well at school I'd say, than the bottle fed child.

I did lose weight a lot quicker breast feeding, and also there was less getting up in the night (so more sleep), and less throwing up.

On balance, I wish I hadn't got so emotional about the whole thing. I got very upset first time round when the doctor told me my baby wasn't putting on weight fast enough. It seems very unimportant now considering my relationship is the same, and their health / intelligence seems unaffected.

• Author
I didn't exactly 'decide' not to breastfeed the first time, my baby decided for me. He wasn't gaining weight fast enough, and the doc recommended bottle feeding. I did feel like a failure because it does get shoved down your throat how much better it is for your baby. Thing is, it takes up hours of your day and you have to just sit / lie there....it's pretty demoralising if the baby then isn't gaining weight and you feel like it's your fault ('technique' and so on)

I breastfed second time, no problem. He got the hang of it straight away, and I kept going til he was 4 months old. After 2 bouts of mastitis, I decided enough was enough (it's agony), also breastfeeding in public was not my thing at all, and I got so tense trying to do it 'discreetly' it didn't always work. Trying to breastfeed in front of my father in law was pretty excruciating.

My eldest is by far the healthier child now, although he had more illnesses at the 2-5 yr old stage. The littlest has had more time off school, and also is doing less well at school I'd say, than the bottle fed child.

I did lose weight a lot quicker breast feeding, and also there was less getting up in the night (so more sleep), and less throwing up.

On balance, I wish I hadn't got so emotional about the whole thing. I got very upset first time round when the doctor told me my baby wasn't putting on weight fast enough. It seems very unimportant now considering my relationship is the same, and their health / intelligence seems unaffected.

All of my husband`s family were healthy babies, children and adults. They`re all doing great in their careers or whatever they chosen to do in life, including socially.

I had epidurals both times and both were delivered by c-section. I also put disposable diapers on my babies! :eek:

Both of my kids crawled, walked and talked early. Both of them were easily and early potty trained and both still are! :p

I do not believe the theory that breastfed babies have higher IQ's. :rolleyes:

• Author

I`m interested in what newer studies will show, since they`ve identified the supposed gene variant that impacts on fat conversion to brain food, especially since the formula makers have started adding these into formula. I suspect it`s all full of poop. ;)

greatgirlfriend

The IQ stat was debunked awhile back. I can't remember the study, but the researcher actually found that it had to do with more educated women breastfeeding, and for the most part more education=higher IQ's.

• Author

Thanks for your input everyone. It`s helped me to lock in my decision about not breast feeding.

If anyone who`s chosen to bottle feed would like to add their experiences, plse continue to do so. It`s good to see people bucking dated social pressures.

already stated it is 3 percent - her words not mine - she is avoiding responding to my question if she would be ok with someone taking 3 points of her iq away. Funny how people avoid painful questions.

The IQ stat was debunked awhile back. I can't remember the study, but the researcher actually found that it had to do with more educated women breastfeeding, and for the most part more education=higher IQ's.
  • Author

mem, I honestly wouldn`t care if someone took away 3 IQ points. It`s not a significant amount. For that matter, the reason why I didn`t respond to you is that in my post, after your post, it discusses what supposedly causes the 3.1 points, which has to do with the C variant of FADS2, etc.

Sincerely, I`m not interested in defending my decision. My mind is made up with full support from my husband. I`m more interested in hearing from members who`ve bucked the societal pressures and chosen to bottle feed.

No worries, you won't defend your decision because you are convinced it is correct. Breastfeeding is not for everyone, and some women simply do not have the temperament to handle the challenges that come with breastfeeding.

However, calling breastfeeding "dated social pressures" is rather offensive. If you don't want anyone downing your choice, then by all means, don't down other people's choice.

Turnabout is fair play, do unto others, golden rule and all that jazz.

:D

• Author
No worries, you won't defend your decision because you are convinced it is correct. Breastfeeding is not for everyone, and some women simply do not have the temperament to handle the challenges that come with breastfeeding.

However, calling breastfeeding "dated social pressures" is rather offensive. If you don't want anyone downing your choice, then by all means, don't down other people's choice.

Turnabout is fair play, do unto others, golden rule and all that jazz.

:D

Sometimes I get tired of the crap on LS. If you notice, there`s plenty of crap previous to my comment. So...turnabout is fair play as well. :laugh:

Anyways, do you have any stories about women who chose not to breast feed? I personally have no stories of women who`ve chosen not to breast-feed, who`ve regretted their decisions, where their children have come out dumber than a bag of hammers or sickly and weak. But I do have anecdotes from women who`ve regretted breast feeding.

Sometimes I get tired of the crap on LS. If you notice, there`s plenty of crap previous to my comment. So...turnabout is fair play as well. :laugh:

Anyways, do you have any stories about women who chose not to breast feed? I personally have no stories of women who`ve chosen not to breast-feed, who`ve regretted their decisions, where their children have come out dumber than a bag of hammers or sickly and weak. But I do have anecdotes from women who`ve regretted breast feeding.

Just be aware that you will get a lot of this type 'holier than thou' stuff about breastfeeding when you have your baby. It really got me down at the time. I had the most support from older women who had their babies in that time before breastfeeding came back into fashion again.

Bottle feeding also helps the baby's father and other family members to form a strong bond with the baby at a time when a lot of men get completely sidelined. Yes, you can express milk but it takes just as long to express as it does to breastfeed.

It`s good to see people bucking dated social pressures.

Are you really describing breast feeding as a 'dated social pressure' ? no, seriously ? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Citizen Erased
Are you really describing breast feeding as a 'dated social pressure' ? no, seriously ? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think she has a valid point actually.

My ex's sister didn't breastfeed and she was hounded on all sides by her mum, her partners mother, friends, aunts etc etc that what she was doing was wrong. There is a lot of pressure and given that my ex's niece is an adorable, healthy little girl, she's tall and well built and a smart kid, I'd have to say her mother's decision to not go by what she was being told but what she, as a mother, thought was right was a good one.

Breast feeding or not is a choice of each individual. I don't think either side have ANY right to try and pressure the other.

• Author
Just be aware that you will get a lot of this type 'holier than thou' stuff about breastfeeding when you have your baby. It really got me down at the time. I had the most support from older women who had their babies in that time before breastfeeding came back into fashion again.

Bottle feeding also helps the baby's father and other family members to form a strong bond with the baby at a time when a lot of men get completely sidelined. Yes, you can express milk but it takes just as long to express as it does to breastfeed.

Yes, I`ve already experienced much of this in my decision to bottle feed. The worst offenders of such, were either men who can`t ever have babies, women who abused their bodies through smoking, drinking, drug taking prior to and during pregnancy, women who stuffed themselves with too much food, too little or ate junk food, or lived unhealthy lifestyles in general.

IMO, bottle-feeding is not even equal to many of the above issues referenced, for unhealthy babies with lower IQs...

CE, totally agree. This is each persons individual choice. Breast feed or not, no concern of anyone else, but to be so condescending as to describe others people choice to breastfeed as an 'outdated social pressure' is incredibly arrogant and offensive. If you don't agree with someone else's choice on issues like this then fine, no need to insult anyone who disagrees with your opinion in this crass, arrogant manner.

Citizen Erased
CE, totally agree. This is each persons individual choice. Breast feed or not, no concern of anyone else, but to be so condescending as to describe others people choice to breastfeed as an 'outdated social pressure' is incredibly arrogant and offensive. If you don't agree with someone else's choice on issues like this then fine, no need to insult anyone who disagrees with your opinion in this crass, arrogant manner.

This can also apply to a few rather snarky posts made by people on the other side of the fence to TBF. ;)

Who knew it could be this controversial. :lmao:

This can also apply to a few rather snarky posts made by people on the other side of the fence to TBF. ;)

Maybe they were bottle fed ??? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The biggest breastfeeding advantage that can't be disputed is that it's free. Scientific research study results can easily be skewed to support more favorable results for the organization(s) that is funding the research. Which for the most part usually involve government grants. I'm skeptical of the breastfeeding claims that sound illogical. :rolleyes:

I didn't have difficulty losing weight gained during pregnancy without having breastfed. I have friends that chose to breastfeed that thought breastfeeding helped them lose pregnancy weight. I also have friends that chose to breastfeed that kept gaining weight from extra added calories that had said that they felt extremely hungry all the time they were lactating.

Tbf, now that you've made the choice to bottle feed your baby, do you have any bottle feeding concerns?

I can tell you that I absolutely loved bottle feeding my babies and I felt completed bonded with my babies (still do, even though they're teenagers :D). I have absolutely no regrets about having chosen to bottle feed. :)

• Author

I`m not too concerned about weight gain or loss, since currently I`m below the weight my doctor wants me to be. Can`t seem to gain weight the way she wants me to, so too bad. I`m not stuffing myself silly, just to make her happy. The ultrasound proved that Bump is doing really well.

I`ve been doing some research on orthodontic nipples, for newborn on up. I get the impression that all you can do is to try different types, to see which ones are acceptable to your baby. As well, sometimes you have to enlarge the holes in the nipples, if your baby is a weak feeder.

Do you recall what kinds of bottles and nipples worked best for you, nittygritty? Plse tell me your stories on bottle feeding. Thanks.