Not Going to Breast-Feed

threebyfate

I`m not too concerned about weight gain or loss, since currently I`m below the weight my doctor wants me to be. Can`t seem to gain weight the way she wants me to, so too bad. I`m not stuffing myself silly, just to make her happy. The ultrasound proved that Bump is doing really well.

I`ve been doing some research on orthodontic nipples, for newborn on up. I get the impression that all you can do is to try different types, to see which ones are acceptable to your baby. As well, sometimes you have to enlarge the holes in the nipples, if your baby is a weak feeder.

Do you recall what kinds of bottles and nipples worked best for you, nittygritty? Plse tell me your stories on bottle feeding. Thanks.

I tried a few different types of bottles and nipples. I recall that both babies seemed to prefer the traditional shape of the ones made by Gerber that looked like this...

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/03/baby-bottle-i-stock.jpg

I also used pacifiers and both babies had their own different pacifier preferences.

Totally unrelated post but I just feel like a digital auntie, so please allow.

I'm debating whether or not I want children - but I think the advantage of bottle-feeding is that both partners can be involved in the "bonding" phase. Or, in other words, both partners can be as equally sleep deprived ;).

I'm debating whether or not I want children - but I think the advantage of bottle-feeding is that both partners can be involved in the "bonding" phase. Or, in other words, both partners can be as equally sleep deprived ;).

So true!!! ;)

• Author
I tried a few different types of bottles and nipples. I recall that both babies seemed to prefer the traditional shape of the ones made by Gerber that looked like this...

I also used pacifiers and both babies had their own different pacifier preferences.

Thanks ng! I`ll be trying different kinds for certain, including the traditional kinds. Every child I know, who`s hit their teens, has needed braces, whether breast fed, bottle fed, orthodontic nipple or not. I sometimes wonder if it really matters and more importantly, that Bump get a meal that he enjoys, rather than the stressful time it`s become for many people.

:laugh: Yes, H. can also enjoy the bonding time with his son. Wow, his son! I can imagine him with Bump in his arms, feeding him. The image makes me melt. :love:

I used the Avent bottles, with a steam steriliser, the chemical ones are rubbish. You need loads of bottles and stuff because they are always getting lost, and the rubber nipples break.

• Author
I used the Avent bottles, with a steam steriliser, the chemical ones are rubbish. You need loads of bottles and stuff because they are always getting lost, and the rubber nipples break.
I just googled that type and the bottles have the silicon nipples. I like the sterilizing idea though. Thanks.
  • Author
This is just general curiosity, but do you have to give a bottle fed baby a pacifier as well?
No, this is personal preference. I know of some breast fed babies who also used pacifiers.

My parents handled this by expressing breast milk and my father feeding me with a bottle. I have many old color slides of mom breast feeding and dad bottle feeding. I found the old breast pump and bottles when cleaning out my mom's house after placing her.

Personally, as a father, I'd be fine either way. To me it's about what works for the family. I would definitely be involved so a bottle would be needed somewhere. ;)

No, this is personal preference. I know of some breast fed babies who also used pacifiers.

That's the thing, I stopped b/feeding my eldest because he wasn't gaining weight, and was 'comfort sucking' without actually taking in any milk. The doc recommended a pacifier and bottle feeding, as if they use a bottle for 'comfort sucking' they can drink way too much and put on too much weight.

I wasn't very happy about it at the time (especially as one of the reasons he didn't feed well was undiagnosed thrush in his mouth), but he was so much happier and more content once he was bottle feeding, with a dummy sometimes as well.

We managed to get rid of it by about the 9 month stage...

I just noticed the mention of Avent bottles. They are great. I used them when I pumped my milk so my then H could help feed our babies when I was tired or simply needed a break. I found the bottles and nipples to be very sturdy. Just wanted to make mention of this.. in hopes It may help. It's good you know ahead of time which way your going with feeding. I honestly was not sure until I tried breast feeding. I had bottles packed in my hospital bag just incase it did not work out. I was a new mom and had not a clue. But, I went with it and I have no regrets. It worked for me.. but is not the first choice, nor does it work for all. As long as bump gets a meal.. your good to go.:laugh:

Mea:)

• Author
That's the thing, I stopped b/feeding my eldest because he wasn't gaining weight, and was 'comfort sucking' without actually taking in any milk. The doc recommended a pacifier and bottle feeding, as if they use a bottle for 'comfort sucking' they can drink way too much and put on too much weight.

I wasn't very happy about it at the time (especially as one of the reasons he didn't feed well was undiagnosed thrush in his mouth), but he was so much happier and more content once he was bottle feeding, with a dummy sometimes as well.

We managed to get rid of it by about the 9 month stage...

I`m hoping to avoid the pacifier, if at all possible. If not, that`s okay too. It`s important to me that raising Bump, won`t become a stressful time for all of us, particularly Bump. I look at how stressed other new mothers have been and refuse to get all worked up about what, where, how and how to be the perfect mother, including stressing about breast v. bottle. So I`m learning things from mother`s like yourself and ng, who have tried different things.

:laugh: Yes, H. can also enjoy the bonding time with his son. Wow, his son! I can imagine him with Bump in his arms, feeding him. The image makes me melt. :love:

Awww, that made me melt too. :love::bunny::bunny:

Personally, as a father, I'd be fine either way. To me it's about what works for the family. I would definitely be involved so a bottle would be needed somewhere. ;)

That also makes me melt. I hear pumping milk can be difficult, but if ever I have kids, decide to breast-feed and partner wants in on the action, I would definitely learn to pump. Actually, partner might be obligated to partake on the action.

I'm a big fan of shared parenting.

This is just general curiosity, but do you have to give a bottle fed baby a pacifier as well?

I don't think babies have to have pacifiers. I gave mine pacifiers to soothe them and they had no problems giving them up, approximately at around a year old. They never sucked their thumbs or were overly attached to a blanket. I don't know if there is any correlation or not or if it's simply a coincidence but most of the babies that I have been around that weren't ever given pacifiers had thumb sucking problems and an overly attachment to a baby blanket which probably influenced my decision to give mine a pacifier. :laugh::o

I wasn't breast fed and I was a very healthy baby with no problems. My mom didn't plan on bottle feeding but for some reason I didn't take well to breast milk and the doctor had her try formula which worked very well.

As for the issue of breast feeding, I'm fine with a woman breast feeding anywhere and anytime, or not at all, if that's what she chooses.

SF,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. No question that it is harder/not possible for some women. You gave it your best shot. There are tons of things a parent does that impact the overall outcome for their children.

I am not an extremist on this point - I simply don't understand someone not trying. There is no "company" skewing the study results to say breast feeding is better. I would have a healthy amount of skepticism if the sponsor of the studies was a formula company.

I was bottle fed - aside from being a bit more blunt than the average person I have done ok.

Like I usually say at end of the day - golden rule - do unto others and all that.

I didn't exactly 'decide' not to breastfeed the first time, my baby decided for me. He wasn't gaining weight fast enough, and the doc recommended bottle feeding. I did feel like a failure because it does get shoved down your throat how much better it is for your baby. Thing is, it takes up hours of your day and you have to just sit / lie there....it's pretty demoralising if the baby then isn't gaining weight and you feel like it's your fault ('technique' and so on)

I breastfed second time, no problem. He got the hang of it straight away, and I kept going til he was 4 months old. After 2 bouts of mastitis, I decided enough was enough (it's agony), also breastfeeding in public was not my thing at all, and I got so tense trying to do it 'discreetly' it didn't always work. Trying to breastfeed in front of my father in law was pretty excruciating.

My eldest is by far the healthier child now, although he had more illnesses at the 2-5 yr old stage. The littlest has had more time off school, and also is doing less well at school I'd say, than the bottle fed child.

I did lose weight a lot quicker breast feeding, and also there was less getting up in the night (so more sleep), and less throwing up.

On balance, I wish I hadn't got so emotional about the whole thing. I got very upset first time round when the doctor told me my baby wasn't putting on weight fast enough. It seems very unimportant now considering my relationship is the same, and their health / intelligence seems unaffected.

I look at how stressed other new mothers have been and refuse to get all worked up about what, where, how and how to be the perfect mother, including stressing about breast v. bottle

You're doing the right thing to try and avoid that. We all want the best for our kids, especially the first born....but new mothers don't realise how their stress can affect the baby intensely.

Now my kids are older, I see some mothers hothousing their kids, working themselves to illness trying to pay for private education, fussing about every mouthful of food they eat...so the kids has a phobias about allergies that often don't exist...urgh....balance, it's all about balance

As for the issue of breast feeding, I'm fine with a woman breast feeding anywhere and anytime, or not at all, if that's what she chooses.

+1

I was also bottle-fed. My IQ is fine :p.

• Author
I wasn't breast fed and I was a very healthy baby with no problems. My mom didn't plan on bottle feeding but for some reason I didn't take well to breast milk and the doctor had her try formula which worked very well.

Exactly, it`s personal choice. Overall, there`s literally been a generation of bottle fed babies that have become irate breast feeders.

You're doing the right thing to try and avoid that. We all want the best for our kids, especially the first born....but new mothers don't realise how their stress can affect the baby intensely.

Now my kids are older, I see some mothers hothousing their kids, working themselves to illness trying to pay for private education, fussing about every mouthful of food they eat...so the kids has a phobias about allergies that often don't exist...urgh....balance, it's all about balance

The last thing I want, is a neurotic child, pushed to be the perfect child, while I try to become the perfect mother.

The less stress after Bump comes home and later, throughout his childhood, the happier child he will be. We can equally bond with bottle in hand, rather than breast in mouth.

mem, I get what you`re saying. But one thing`s for certain. Pushing me won`t change my mind about this, just because YOU believe it`s best. None of the studies are conclusive, when it comes to long-term effects. So what it boils down to, is opinion and preference.

SF,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. No question that it is harder/not possible for some women. You gave it your best shot. There are tons of things a parent does that impact the overall outcome for their children.

I am not an extremist on this point - I simply don't understand someone not trying. There is no "company" skewing the study results to say breast feeding is better. I would have a healthy amount of skepticism if the sponsor of the studies was a formula company.

I was bottle fed - aside from being a bit more blunt than the average person I have done ok.

Like I usually say at end of the day - golden rule - do unto others and all that.

Hey it's ok!

I don't feel bad about it now...I just don't think it made any difference to either of my kids, except trying to breastfeed my first made the first few weeks of motherhood pretty horrendous.

Many women give up breastfeeding after the first month, and I would have bottle fed earlier if I'd been a little older and wiser...

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing breastfeeding while I was defending the choice to bottlefeed because I wholeheartedly support a woman's right of choice in the matter. ;)

My apologies if I offended anyone. :)

• Author

Surprisingly, I agree with you ng, about a woman`s right to choose, whether she wants to breast feed or bottle feed. This is HER choice, rather than societies choice. ;)

My choice is to bottle feed, which was clearly stated in my opening post, that I wouldn`t change my mind. I just wanted to hear stories from women who made the same choice as I have and if other members wanted to tell their own stories about breast feeding, that was fine too. What I wasn`t interested in, is pressure to change my mind and what a horrible person I am. It`s not going to change and I am who I am.

Sweetcheripie

A friend had a horrible sinus infection at the very end of her pregnancy. She didn't want to take the antibiotics so she and her physician decided right after delivery to give her antibiotics and another med I can't remember right now but she made a decision she would not breast feed because of the danger of passing on the meds. Kiddo is perfect and took to formula just great. But my friend suffered from horrible engorged breasts about 3 days later. So have ice packs ready and maybe read up on that a little bit just so you are prepared. She ended up breast pumping a little bit just to relieve the pressure but not much so that her body didn't start producing more milk. It didn't last long (I think a couple of days) but she was in horrible pain and discomfort while it did. I also think the nurse told her to wear a very supportive bra almost immediately after delivery to help with the engorgement.

A friend had a horrible sinus infection at the very end of her pregnancy. She didn't want to take the antibiotics so she and her physician decided right after delivery to give her antibiotics and another med I can't remember right now but she made a decision she would not breast feed because of the danger of passing on the meds. Kiddo is perfect and took to formula just great. But my friend suffered from horrible engorged breasts about 3 days later. So have ice packs ready and maybe read up on that a little bit just so you are prepared. She ended up breast pumping a little bit just to relieve the pressure but not much so that her body didn't start producing more milk. It didn't last long (I think a couple of days) but she was in horrible pain and discomfort while it did. I also think the nurse told her to wear a very supportive bra almost immediately after delivery to help with the engorgement.

Yep, and cold cabbage leaves in your bra plus ibrupofen. That's another good reason for bottle feeding- you can't pass anything on through your milk, so you can break out the champagne after the birth and light up a cigar as well :bunny:

• Author

I`ve never heard of this sweetcheripie, so thanks for the tip. What I`ve heard is that once you start, it`s difficult to stop but if you never do it, it`s not so bad.

Most of my friends and family who regretted breast feeding, experienced mastitis once, if not more times and it wasn`t pleasant, since they had to nurse through it.