Using a gift card on a first date??

BWLoca

I can see it now "You had me at you want to go on a cheap date for our first date"

or

"You had me at offering your free gift card for dinner that your Brother got you for Christmas"

Maybe he was using it as an excuse to ask her out.

You know...

You might have a point with that.. if he was young.. teenager ish then maybe he was just throwing it out there like it was no biggie and he thought that might make him seem more of a sure thing..

It's possible I guess...

I can see it now "You had me at you want to go on a cheap date for our first date"

or

"You had me at offering your free gift card for dinner that your Brother got you for Christmas"

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I like these way better then 'you had me at hello'

Really people??? I would drop any girl the second she complained about me using a gift card on first date. I mean wtf, I'm taking her out and trying to show her a good time and shes gonna get upset because she doesn't like my method of payment. Talk about shallow and rude. Good riddance.

Outback isn't the best choice, but hey some women like Steak. Its just a first date not an anniversery.

You know...

You might have a point with that.. if he was young.. teenager ish then maybe he was just throwing it out there like it was no biggie and he thought that might make him seem more of a sure thing..

It's possible I guess...

Or someone who lacks dating experience. I kind of did something similar once when I was like 19. Back in the day and all... There was a guy I liked and wanted to hang out with. We did the joke around thing all the time blah blah blah. One day I got a gift card for some lunch place. I was going to say "I'm trying to find someone to check the place out with me, since it's new". I got so flustered I went back to 'joking around' and said here, why don't you go get yourself lunch, and made a smart arse comment.

Really people??? I would drop any girl the second she complained about me using a gift card on first date. I mean wtf, I'm taking her out and trying to show her a good time and shes gonna get upset because she doesn't like my method of payment. Talk about shallow and rude. Good riddance.

Outback isn't the best choice, but hey some women like Steak. Its just a first date not an anniversery.

I think your missing the point about the payment..

The issue isn't that in the end of dinner he pulled a gift card, that would be okay.

The issue is that he asked her out because he had the gift card and told her that in the way he asked her out.

See the difference yet ?

I agree. Who cares what method he is using to pay? Be happy he's taking you out and stop being money obsessed.

The way the guy asked her out devalued her..

Why is that the guys that have trouble or complain about paying for dates are the guys who have trouble finding women ?..

I'd bet 100-1 if you polled all the guys posting on LS that are in relationships or married you will find out that they didn't make their date pay for the first date..

Did she say he was making her pay? Did I miss something? :confused:

Oh god...

The same people that think the gift card is okay are the same ones that say a woman should pay her half of a date..

I've been on LS a while and have seen many of these type odf threads and posts..

You can look confused all you want but the message is clear as a bell to me..

• Author

I actually don't have a problem with Outback. It's not my restaurant of choice, but like someone said, it's not really about where we go. But this is what I'm getting from his method of asking me out: "you're not special enough for me to spend my own money on..." If it was that he didn't have a lot of money, it'd be one thing. But that's not the case.

I'm not money obsessed. I'd be happy if he'd just said, "let's meet for a drink or two", which is actually what I suggested about a week ago. Or coffee or something.

By the way, he's 26.

A girl isn't going to complain openly that you used a gift card on the first date. I'm a guy and think it's a horrible idea. I would never take a girl to a low-rent chain restaurant on a first date or early in the dating phase. It's a complete lack of creativity. If you're going to be cheap, at least be creative. This idea is both cheap and unoriginal. This is the guy's first chance to make a good impression on this girl, and he chooses this?

Honestly, I look at more how I am connecting with the guy over where I'm at with the guy. Well grant it, I'd be put off by McDonalds, but Outback or something similar is not going make it or break it.

I actually don't have a problem with Outback. It's not my restaurant of choice, but like someone said, it's not really about where we go. But this is what I'm getting from his method of asking me out: "you're not special enough for me to spend my own money on..." If it was that he didn't have a lot of money, it'd be one thing. But that's not the case.

I'm not money obsessed. I'd be happy if he'd just said, "let's meet for a drink or two", which is actually what I suggested about a week ago. Or coffee or something.

By the way, he's 26.

And maybe he might be thinking by declining or having this opinion of him, you're saying: "You're not special enough to take me up on my offer."

So do you know anything much about this guy to determine that he feels that "you're not special enough for me to spend my own money on..." or is that just the impression you got from the way he asked you out? If it's merely an impressino, then just go out with him, get to know him, and see what he's really like. He may surprise you.

Highly doubtful. If this guy thinks it's okay to choose a first date with a girl based on where he has a gift card, then he's really clueless. Would you use a gift card to bring a client out to lunch or dinner?

Him: "Hey, I was thinking if you'd like to go star gazing it's a clear night I'll make sandwiches?"

Her: "WTF HOW DARE YOU UNDERVALUE ME I NEED EXPENSIVE DINNERS GET OUT OF MY FACE I AM NOT A SANDWICH EATING GIRL!"

• Author
Him: "Hey, I was thinking if you'd like to go star gazing it's a clear night I'll make sandwiches?"

Actually, I would think that was incredibly romantic...I would even offer to make a dessert or something.

Untouchable_Fire
The way the guy asked her out devalued her..

Why is that the guys that have trouble or complain about paying for dates are the guys who have trouble finding women ?..

I'd bet 100-1 if you polled all the guys posting on LS that are in relationships or married you will find out that they didn't make their date pay for the first date..

Your too oldskool Art.

This is a new day, and a new generation. Women need to pull their own weight now days.

The days when a guy worked and the wife made a home are long gone. Over 70% of mom's work now.

So... the point is this. If your looking for the traditional kind of girl... be a traditional kind of guy. If not, then don't.

The way he asked her was honest even if a little tacky. He could have asked anyone to go with him... but he picked her. That doesn't devalue her, unless of course you think her value lies in $$$.

Her: "WTF HOW DARE YOU UNDERVALUE ME I NEED EXPENSIVE DINNERS GET OUT OF MY FACE I AM NOT A SANDWICH EATING GIRL!"

This is a completely different situation. This involves creativity, which the Outback guy is completely lacking. Girls like creativity.

The Collector

So why do you care? I'm not going to give you a hard time for suggesting he's cheap, while you are so special he needs to prove it by spending money on you... but I will suggest that he either hasn't put much thought into it other than it's a fun way to use this voucher, or he is playing it casual in his own way. If you like him, go. You'll have plenty of other chances to see if he values you.

Actually, I would think that was incredibly romantic...I would even offer to make a dessert or something.

Yeah but on a first date? Doesn't it make the guy look cheap? Ugh my brain is short circuiting...

I have no idea why it matters if he uses a gift card or not. That is kind of rude if you ask me to question it. He is taking you out, and using the gift card(in which he didn't have to) on you, so what's the problem?

Let's see its a wise thing to use gift cards, and get a meal for less than you would normally have to spend. Why throw out a bunch of money for a date, when you can spend less? Also, this should not be an indicator that he doesn't think highly of you or something. Doesn't mean he is cheap either. Jesus.

Hm. A guy I went out with once did that. I didn't think much of it at all, in fact, it kind of made the awkward how-hard-should-I-offer-to-pay-for-my-share convo at the end a little less awkward.

This is a completely different situation. This involves creativity, which the Outback guy is completely lacking. Girls like creativity.

So if I asked a girl "Hey, would you like to get some spray cans and later tonight make some grafitti on houses, and I will bring an apple pie and when we are done painting our picture we can eat the apple pie after we defaced public property?" She would say yes?!

Outback guys three strikes:

1) Hey, I happen to have an a gift card somewhere, let's use it....

2) That "somewhere" happens to be Outback

3) Didn't make up his cheapness or unoriginality with his personality or sense of humor.