I nailed it baby!!!!!!

LB is right there is a high demand for social workers well not in my state but in other states there def is. One example is in fla they need LOADS theres a new posting for a case worker everyday when i do a job search. Also to be honest shes also right about social services not really caring that much. They do back ground checks but mainly they just care that you arent a wanted criminal and you have no drug convictions. Turn over in that industry is extremely high bc it is so stressful. This isnt just me pulling crap out of my behind before others start research and talking to my former professors who came out of that industry.

The psychology industry doesnt pay a lot unless you go into i/o(business) or HR those involve business so yes youd make more. The section that lb is in is more about helping others not about money. Thats another reason why demand is so high(again in my state they have a hiring freeze on all state jobs b4 anyone starts). The pay wouldnt be high even if we werent in a recession.

Now again i know some will jump on me for saying the above but i dont care thats what the ignore button is for. So no need to get nasty with me i wont see it anyways. :D

I would also like to add that people often change their behavior based on the situation they are in it is part of the socialization process we go through growing up. This said how someone acts on a public forum vs a professional environment are more than likely very different.

I highly doubt people show up to a bbq in a business suit so why expect people to act professional on a public forum. Truth is none of us really know each other truly enough to make an accurate assumption about how anyone else on here acts in all situations.

I doubt seriously that lb is going to walk into an interview proclaiming her former bosses are "a holes" . Usually when people go on interviews they are on their best behavior.

Disclaimer : This is my opinon we are all adults and should be able to accept that not everyone thinks like us. This forum is just a place for people to post OPINONS. No one here is an expert in anything. You know what they ass about opinons right? They are like a-holes all people have one.

Ok I am gonna say what everyone else wants to .... Just tell us why they witch hunted you out of there! I am thinking its really bad like you got caught shagging the managers dog or summit!

Just tell us, we are all relative strangers anyway lol

Ps ... I am a bit tiddled so ignore if you will lol x

pps ... dont ever diss the company you just left to a new place ... EVER!

You left beacause you wanted a change of enviroment and wanted more job satisfaction which you are sure you will get in the place that is interviewing you!

If what your fiance and you practiced included either unfair or unprofessional - you need to come up with a new answer. Do not point fingers and do not saying anything negative about former managers/employers. EVER.

Absolutely.

What I meant LB is that you need to turn it into something positive so that your potential employers can see that you are capable of acknowledging and learning from your mistakes.

Eg "I wasn't as proficient as I thought I was at x,y,z, however I have taken extra time to improve on my skills in that area and feel that have learned a valuable lesson in the process"

Dissing your former employer in any way shape or form will not win you any favours (and I was kidding, I know you wouldn't say A-hole)

LB is right there is a high demand for social workers well not in my state but in other states there def is. One example is in fla they need LOADS theres a new posting for a case worker everyday when i do a job search. Also to be honest shes also right about social services not really caring that much. They do back ground checks but mainly they just care that you arent a wanted criminal and you have no drug convictions. Turn over in that industry is extremely high bc it is so stressful. This isnt just me pulling crap out of my behind before others start research and talking to my former professors who came out of that industry.

The psychology industry doesnt pay a lot unless you go into i/o(business) or HR those involve business so yes youd make more. The section that lb is in is more about helping others not about money. Thats another reason why demand is so high(again in my state they have a hiring freeze on all state jobs b4 anyone starts). The pay wouldnt be high even if we werent in a recession.

Now again i know some will jump on me for saying the above but i dont care thats what the ignore button is for. So no need to get nasty with me i wont see it anyways. :D

Word !! I have been on the job boards in FL for years, even when I was happily employed I always played " job coach" for many others.

I can not tell you how many job listings I saw requiring a masters in Social Work, and paying on average $12-$13 an hour ! It's a joke, you can make more than that per hour in the hospitality industry if you average pay plus tips !

I know LB is in PA and the north east is a bit more realistic with salaries, but no wonder they "lost" all those foster kids in Florida !

well i need to move to the uk LOL:D:D here they pay is low as heck. I know some people who make decent money with their own private practice which is what id like to do one day :)

I doubt you have been to every interview in every industry.

You must have forgotten that I TRAIN Human Resources professionals.

I'd be suspicious of any employer who didn't ask me that in an interview. A good employer is looking for the right fit, both for itself and its employees. One of the best ways to figure that out is to determine what made the prospective employee leave their last place of employment. Were they fired? Were they unhappy? If so, why? Are they going to leave this place too? What did they learn there? What did they want to change? What are they really looking for? Etc. To not ask such a BASIC question of a candidate really boggles my mind.

Having said that - I have got to tell you I am a little curious why you are posting. Unless someone agrees with you - you don't want to hear it. Why bother asking for other opinions?

Precisely right!

The reality is that many of us have many years of experience in the job market - and certain facts cross all industries. It takes far more effort to manage an employee out and hire then train someone new than it takes to help someone learn from a mistake. So insist all you like that your managers are A-holes, what you are saying just doesn't make sense.

Having said that the fact that you were offered the job at your interview also tells me that the hiring manager was inexperienced and to be candid stupid - so I'll give you that one.

Right again.

But saying that in social services no one cares? That is absurd

No kidding.

The rest of what you are posting - hey if it works for you great. But I have to tell you you sound naive and immature and a bit like an ostrich.

So why not take the advice of folks who have more experience than you do - be prepared and recognize the facts. If you interview the way you represent yourself here, I would not consider hiring you.

Agreed again.

BUT I'm sure they do run a background check. I don't think they need written consent do they? I filled out an application for the job if that's the same thing.

Most boilerplate employment applications contain a signature line where you provide a testament that everything you've indicated is truthful and giving them permission to contact references and conduct a background check. Just an FYI.

But most employers won't even bother spending the time and energy conducting background checks or reference checks until they've interviewed you, UNLESS they personally know your current/last employer and can make a quick phone call to get the "deets" on you off-the-record.

None of us can predict whether or not they will hire me for the job no matter what happens during the interview. I just had a good feeling about it, even if others do disagree with me.

I'm glad you had a good feeling about it, but it helps to know the signs of when an interview is actually going well for you.

Uh-uh. You don't use the word unprofessional unless you have some professional experience under your belt. You're far too unexperienced in the industry to make that call, really. I'd say something along the lines of misunderstanding and having learned a lot from it and leave it. Nobody is really expecting you to give a good reason, they are interested in the way you react and the way you deal with unpleasant questions.

Exactly right. Just assuming that it would be okay to say "unfair" or "unprofessional" in an interview tells me that LB could stand to bone up on her interviewing skills.

What I meant LB is that you need to turn it into something positive so that your potential employers can see that you are capable of acknowledging and learning from your mistakes.

....assuming she has/can.

Eg "I wasn't as proficient as I thought I was at x,y,z, however I have taken extra time to improve on my skills in that area and feel that have learned a valuable lesson in the process"

Dissing your former employer in any way shape or form will not win you any favours

That's a great example, SB.

Honestly LB, if you want specific, more detailed advice, feel free to PM me. Truly. I have interviewed many, many times, and have received job offers from every single place I have ever interviewed. Seriously. And I don't think for one second that I was necessarily more qualified than any of the other candidates - it was all about the interview itself.

I am in the middle of a situation right now where I wish my boss had paid more attention to why my assistant left her last job- she was hired before I started and I didn't get a say in her appointment.

My assistant insists that "everyone" in her last job was a "b*tch" and that she couldn't stand working in such a nasty environment.

Since she has been my assistant she has had an argument or falling out with nearly every single female staff member on our team (including me, and she is supposed to answer to me) and I can't help but thinking she is the common denominator in both workplaces.

So she now says that "everyone" at our work is a "b*tch" and she can't take anymore, yet the rest of us work really well together.

She is walking an incredibly thin line at the moment, my boss and I had a meeting about it yesterday and she is on her final warning. I almost hope that she follows through with her threats and leaves before she is fired, so I don't have to deal with her when I come back from my maternity leave.

Sorry for t/j LB.

Another thing about above situation- I have had numerous conversations with my assistant about her behaviour and hostility and how to overcome it to make for better working relationships with the rest of the team, but she refuses to take any responsibility or take my advice.

Which means if she does go, she won't be getting a great reference from me.

It's a similar clinic to the one I just worked at so I can basically walk into the job.

You may be incorrect here LB, and please don't have this attitude when speaking with potential employers. This is not an attitude that employers look for. It's great that you have relevant experience, you absolutely want them to know that, but this is not the same place of employment. I'm certain that different clinics have different methods of doing things, and different systems, which you will have to learn.

And please DO NOT ever say that your past employer was unfair or unprofessional! That's job offer killer! I interview a lot, and I would never, ever consider hiring someone who said that. It makes you look like you'll be a difficult employee, one who will whine and complain and cause a lot of drama. When you accuse a past employer of being "unfair" the person interviewing will automatically think that you'll do the same thing at your next job. Employees with a victim mentality are a nightmare for employers.

social workers here get about £35k

Not bad actually.

Haha, yeah I will leave that word out. Unfair/unprofessional would be a better word. I have already worked out what I am going to say if asked that question, I rehearsed it with my fiance.
unfair / unprofessional is a not a better word. Have you considered doing an informational interview?

A mock interview with a friend/mentor?

I've said similar words and rejected after the senior executive interviewed me.

Talking about job interviews, something by chance that I found on iTunes and then youtube so I can post it. It is Dilbert's coworker interviewing an job candidate. Maybe use humor to present ideas.

• Author

Where did I ever say I was going to say that I thought my employer was unfair in my interview? Everyone just kind assumes thay since Im immature LB I have no interview skills. I am not rejecting anyones advice but I would like to thinl I have more credit than that.

Yeah, in social services maybe they just don't care. The demand is so high they just need to hire people to work.

But I def. have a good answer in case he asks so I'm good. :)

Haha, yeah I will leave that word out. Unfair/unprofessional would be a better word. I have already worked out what I am going to say if asked that question, I rehearsed it with my fiance.

Where did I ever say I was going to say that I thought my employer was unfair in my interview?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood LB. From the top two posts above I understood that in response to an interviewer asking why you left your last job you were going to tell them because your boss was unprofessional/unfair. I thought this is the explanation you practiced with your fiance.

Either way, I'm sorry if you feel ganged up on by me or anyone else. It is in no way my intention. I felt compelled to say something when I saw areas where you could possibly be jeopardizing yourself.

Remember, I interview people often ,and I see the mistakes that people make that cost them the job.

• Author
I'm sorry if I misunderstood LB. From the top two posts above I understood that in response to an interviewer asking why you left your last job you were going to tell them because your boss was unprofessional/unfair. I thought this is the explanation you practiced with your fiance.

Either way, I'm sorry if you feel ganged up on by me or anyone else. It is in no way my intention. I felt compelled to say something when I saw areas where you could possibly be jeopardizing yourself.

Remember, I interview people often ,and I see the mistakes that people make that cost them the job.

No its okay, I actually didnt mean that I would say they were beimg unprofessional even though I feel that they were. I actually practiced with my fiance that I would say that the job wasnt a good fit though I enjoyed the work I was doing and enjoy being a counselor. Also I could say that I wanted to geexperience in other areas of counsewling if the job isnot in amethadone clinic. Maybe I dont explain myself in posts well enough as I feel that sometimes posters respond to somethng that I didnt actuallysay or mean.

• Author

YAY, yet ANOTHER interview!!! This time at a drug/alcohol outpatient clinic specializing in addicted pregnant mothers. Now that would be an awesome job, I would love it!! I've worked with so many pregnant addicts and it is SO sad. So far I'm in pretty good shape here regarding call backs. I'm sure to find something.

• Author

So haven't heard anything about the job yet. I'm thinking on Friday I should call and see if they have made a decision about the job. Any thoughts on that?

• Author

Okay, I'm very nervous to call. I don't know if I can do it! My fiance said that they might send me a letter saying that they filled the position but nothing has come in the mail yet. I just don't want to sound too desperate!

So haven't heard anything about the job yet. I'm thinking on Friday I should call and see if they have made a decision about the job. Any thoughts on that?

No.

But I wanted to commend you for looking for work right away. You just lost your job.

I think you'll be ok and in little time you will be working again, probably earning more money. That field seems to also be in demand.

Good luck.

Lb, I wouldn't call for at least another week, since your interviewer mentioned that the decision would be in a few weeks. It's only been ten days since your interview and "few" denotes greater than two weeks.

When I used to hire staff, it would drive me nuts when people would call previous to defined decision time.

Just my opinion though. Good luck in your job search! :)