I nailed it baby!!!!!!

A job at a women's shelter isn't going to pay peanuts. It wouldn't even be worth the Masters Degree you earned to work there. Not getting it will probably be a blessing in disguise.

• Author
A job at a women's shelter isn't going to pay peanuts. It wouldn't even be worth the Masters Degree you earned to work there. Not getting it will probably be a blessing in disguise.

Yep. The interviewers probably knew that. My fiance said they would probably be afraid I'd quit if something better came along (which I would.)

I'm sure they hired some girl with a bachelors degree straight out of school. It would be nice and interesting work but the hours were terrible too.

Monday off

Tuesday- 8-4

Wednesday 4-midnight

Thursday 4-midnight

Friday - 4-midnight

Saturday- 8-4

Sunday-off

That would have been hell!

SadandConfusedWA

I very much doubt that your previous bosses were a-holes and were picking on you. More than likely your performance wasn't up to their standards but you prefer not to face up to that. It is a lot easier for you to blame someone else.

Also, your new interview doesn't sound too promising. The fact that they didn't ask about why you left/got fired from your previous job means that they were not all that interested in you. Sometimes interviewers decide that you are the wrong candidate early on and the chat away just to fill up the time.

I don't know, like I said before, he didn't ask me about it. If he wants to call my ex-boss fine, however he didn't ask me if he could (although I know he doesn't have to) or why I left my job, ect. So I'm just guessing he doesn't care.

LB, I highly doubt that. He may already know- you would have put your previous employer on your resume, so he may have already contacted them.

I always always always ask for a reference from every job I leave, although I have never left under bad circumstances.

LB, I URGE you to re-evaluate the situation with your past employer. These topics are never easy to face, but it's something working adults need to look at honestly for the sake of their futures and careers.

I don't want to press you to tell us what mistake was made on your part. But please think honestly about the mistake and how it could have been seen by your superiors. Remember that they are responsible and liable for what you do. Ask yourself if you handled things the best way you could have. Maybe they are a-holes, I don't know, but you should be more concerned about your part in that situation.

I fear that upon hearing criticism, or being reprimanded you may have shut down or been visibly angry.

Next time an issue arises at work calm down, remember that it isn't personal and try to resolve the issue. If you feel like you are being blamed for a mistake say to your boss "I can see that my (whatever error/issue) has had an impact on your confidence in me. I value my job here very much and want to show you I'm a valuable employee. What can I do to demonstrate that I'm a hard working, great employee" or something acknowledging the issue and showing your desire to repair it.

Careers are a huge and important part of our lives LB. There will be bad days and there will be people who will treat you unfairly. You have to power through this stuff like a champ :bunny:

I know that this was your first job after collage, I know it can be tough. But for your sake, try to keep an open mind about what happened and learn from it.

And again, good luck with the new job. Is this the one with the women in need?

Fantastic advice allina and very well put.

• Author
I very much doubt that your previous bosses were a-holes and were picking on you. More than likely your performance wasn't up to their standards but you prefer not to face up to that. It is a lot easier for you to blame someone else.

Also, your new interview doesn't sound too promising. The fact that they didn't ask about why you left/got fired from your previous job means that they were not all that interested in you. Sometimes interviewers decide that you are the wrong candidate early on and the chat away just to fill up the time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

• Author
LB, I highly doubt that. He may already know- you would have put your previous employer on your resume, so he may have already contacted them.

I always always always ask for a reference from every job I leave, although I have never left under bad circumstances.

Yeah, he very well could have just already contacted them or just went ahead and contacted them himself. Well, if he did that's fine because I don't know that my ex employers will give me a bad reference. I did good work and am a good counselor.

But I just have to hope for the best and keep applying to places!

YAY I got another call about an interview!!!

Same place I assume?

You have crossed two big hurdles. You have made a good impression. You are deemed qualified.

Now you just have to prove that to someone else. :bunny:

• Author
Same place I assume?

You have crossed two big hurdles. You have made a good impression. You are deemed qualified.

Now you just have to prove that to someone else. :bunny:

No, this is actually another place. It's a similar clinic to the one I just worked at so I can basically walk into the job.

I don't have a problem getting interviews I just need some job offers!!!

I don't have a problem getting interviews I just need some job offers!!!

Most people don't, actually. That's why the interview, and an ACCURATE, up-to-date resume is so important, and why I urged you to come up with a nice, accurate explanation for why you're not currently employed.

• Author
Most people don't, actually. That's why the interview, and an ACCURATE, up-to-date resume is so important, and why I urged you to come up with a nice, accurate explanation for why you're not currently employed.

Oh, I have one if asked. I told the person who called me on the phone about the interview that I didn't work there anymore and she said okay and asked when I could come in. I think you are wrong about the fact that employers discard you if they don't ask why you left your other employer. In social services the pay is low and the job is not glamarous so agencies are looking to hire someone due to the increasing damand for counselors. It's not out of the ordinary not to be asked why you previously left your job..at least in my field. The turn over rate is huge, therefore they acknowledge that people leave there job or they just don't work out.

I think you are wrong about the fact that employers discard you if they don't ask why you left your other employer.

I disagree with you. It's always asked when an employer is sincerely interested. ALWAYS, regardless of the industry.

• Author
I disagree with you. It's always asked when an employer is sincerely interested. ALWAYS, regardless of the industry.

I doubt you have been to every interview in every industry. And I have never been asked why I left my previous job in an interview and have always gotten hired. When I got hired at my last job they didn't ask why I left my TSS job and still got hired. How do you explain that?

This has been my experience as well.

I was surprised he didn't ask. Just have a good answer and you'll be fine.

I always hated that question BTW. Why are you leaving your current position.

Well money obviously,but you can't say that.

• Author

Oh p.s. I actually got offered my last job IN THE INTERVIEW and they only asked me about my experience with my jobs not at all why I left. (And I had left my TSS job like 4 months prior). Hmm....:confused:

• Author
This has been my experience as well.

I was surprised he didn't ask. Just have a good answer and you'll be fine.

I always hated that question BTW. Why are you leaving your current position.

Well money obviously,but you can't say that.

Yeah, in social services maybe they just don't care. The demand is so high they just need to hire people to work.

But I def. have a good answer in case he asks so I'm good. :)

curiousnycgirl

LB -

I'd like to start this post by saying that I wish you all the luck in the world - I sincerely hope you find a job you can look forward to every morning when you wake up soon.

Having said that - I have got to tell you I am a little curious why you are posting. Unless someone agrees with you - you don't want to hear it. Why bother asking for other opinions?

The reality is that many of us have many years of experience in the job market - and certain facts cross all industries. It takes far more effort to manage an employee out and hire then train someone new than it takes to help someone learn from a mistake. So insist all you like that your managers are A-holes, what you are saying just doesn't make sense.

Having said that the fact that you were offered the job at your interview also tells me that the hiring manager was inexperienced and to be candid stupid - so I'll give you that one.

But saying that in social services no one cares? That is absurd How does one hire someone, especially in your field, without a background check? Are you going to tell me they ran that without your written consent (typically obtained in person at the interview).

The rest of what you are posting - hey if it works for you great. But I have to tell you you sound naive and immature and a bit like an ostrich. You say there is so much demand for counselors they just need to hire - but is there money? I'd be hard pressed to believe in this economy it is that easy.

So why not take the advice of folks who have more experience than you do - be prepared and recognize the facts. If you interview the way you represent yourself here, I would not consider hiring you.

Even if the reason you left is a negative one, if you can acknowledge your part in it and assure a subsequent employer that you have learned from the experience it stands you in better stead than if you pretend it didn't happen.

Be prepared to be able to talk about it LB, just in case, and think about what you might say.

Tip: don't use the word A-Hole. :)

• Author
LB -

I'd like to start this post by saying that I wish you all the luck in the world - I sincerely hope you find a job you can look forward to every morning when you wake up soon.

Having said that - I have got to tell you I am a little curious why you are posting. Unless someone agrees with you - you don't want to hear it. Why bother asking for other opinions?

The reality is that many of us have many years of experience in the job market - and certain facts cross all industries. It takes far more effort to manage an employee out and hire then train someone new than it takes to help someone learn from a mistake. So insist all you like that your managers are A-holes, what you are saying just doesn't make sense.

Having said that the fact that you were offered the job at your interview also tells me that the hiring manager was inexperienced and to be candid stupid - so I'll give you that one.

But saying that in social services no one cares? That is absurd How does one hire someone, especially in your field, without a background check? Are you going to tell me they ran that without your written consent (typically obtained in person at the interview).

The rest of what you are posting - hey if it works for you great. But I have to tell you you sound naive and immature and a bit like an ostrich. You say there is so much demand for counselors they just need to hire - but is there money? I'd be hard pressed to believe in this economy it is that easy.

So why not take the advice of folks who have more experience than you do - be prepared and recognize the facts. If you interview the way you represent yourself here, I would not consider hiring you.

It's not that I'm getting pissed when people disagree with me. Everyone has the right to disagree with me. It's snippy comments that are not for my well being that is the issue.

BUT I'm sure they do run a background check. I don't think they need written consent do they? I filled out an application for the job if that's the same thing. Considering I got about 3 interviews in a week and a half of being out of work tells me there is demand and money to hire people right? The jobs don't pay much money, the industry is just not a high paying one. But apparently employers are hiring right now.

None of us can predict whether or not they will hire me for the job no matter what happens during the interview. I just had a good feeling about it, even if others do disagree with me.

• Author
Even if the reason you left is a negative one, if you can acknowledge your part in it and assure a subsequent employer that you have learned from the experience it stands you in better stead than if you pretend it didn't happen.

Be prepared to be able to talk about it LB, just in case, and think about what you might say.

Haha, yeah I will leave that word out. Unfair/unprofessional would be a better word. I have already worked out what I am going to say if asked that question, I rehearsed it with my fiance.

curiousnycgirl

If what your fiance and you practiced included either unfair or unprofessional - you need to come up with a new answer. Do not point fingers and do not saying anything negative about former managers/employers. EVER.

Absent more information I cannot tell you what you should say.

And YES they do need consent to run background check. If you filled out an application in advance of the interview, then that makes sense. I misunderstood and thought you were offered the job during your first meeting with them.

MindoverMatter

Haha, yeah I will leave that word out. Unfair/unprofessional would be a better word. I have already worked out what I am going to say if asked that question, I rehearsed it with my fiance.

Uh-uh. You don't use the word unprofessional unless you have some professional experience under your belt. You're far too unexperienced in the industry to make that call, really. I'd say something along the lines of misunderstanding and having learned a lot from it and leave it. Nobody is really expecting you to give a good reason, they are interested in the way you react and the way you deal with unpleasant questions.