I nailed it baby!!!!!!

• Author
A mistake, in and of itself, is grounds for termination, LB. You know that, right? Did you try to make amends? Will they give you a good reference?

What kind of mistake did you make? Why would several grown adults who are well-trained counselors choose to "pick on you" for every little thing?

I don't feel like getting into the whole thing.

Will they give you a good reference though LB?

I don't know, hopefully!!!

Will they give you a good reference though LB?

I don't know, hopefully!!!

Hopefully the references will be ok versus negative. They can't slander but remember it is "their opinion" and the conversation is private between them.

Did you try to make amends?

this is a very pertinent point which hasn't been addressed. did you? amend means to change and involves action - words are meaningless without action.

this holds true especially in the world of recovery and even more so if it's your job. if you aren't living what you're teaching and expecting of others - there's no point in having that position/job.

also what reason did you give to the guy interviewing as to why you left the last job?

• Author
this is a very pertinent point which hasn't been addressed. did you? amend means to change and involves action - words are meaningless without action.

this holds true especially in the world of recovery and even more so if it's your job. if you aren't living what you're teaching and expecting of others - there's no point in having that position/job.

also what reason did you give to the guy interviewing as to why you left the last job?

Let's just say I tried to take care of the issue and it didn't help.

As for the interview, he didn't ask.

• Author
That's weird. Does your resume make it look like you're still employed? If it does, that will hurt your chances.

Well, I was trying to find a new job before I lost it, which is when I mailed the resume. So the one HE got said that I was still employed because I was at the time. I did tell him that I had left my job so I didn't work there currently and that's when he said "oh okay." And that was it.

• Author
Laurie what did you do so bad? I am asking to see if this will affect futire employment as I am sure that a counsellor needs excellent references

It's a really long personal story, the only person I have told is my best friend and fiance.

I am wondering about the future employment myself. Let's just say i did not do anything unethical or against company policy. I think if my employer actually told an interviewer what happened they would laugh their butts off!

It's a really long personal story, the only person I have told is my best friend and fiance.

Well then, that sounds like it was pretty serious and warranted their reaction. I find it interesting that you're so dismissive of it and act like it was so trivial, and call them "A-HOLES" for being upset about something that you now call "personal" and won't even post about anonymously.

*shrug*

You can't learn from your mistakes if you're not willing to truly evaluate them. But whatevs.

While we all have our curiosity regarding the past problem, I can see why you would not want it out here. My guess is that anyone who knows you from work could put two and two together and figure out who you were. Of course, you have your picture in your profile. On the other hand, while this is anonymous, we all have personalities and reputations. Relating an embarrassing situation does affect who you are here on LS.

The question really is...how will this affect your future jobs and the one you are interviewing for? Will your ex-bosses give you a good or at least decent reference? Do you feel comfortable asking them for one?

• Author
Well then, that sounds like it was pretty serious and warranted their reaction. I find it interesting that you're so dismissive of it and act like it was so trivial, and call them "A-HOLES" for being upset about something that you now call "personal" and won't even post about anonymously.

*shrug*

You can't learn from your mistakes if you're not willing to truly evaluate them. But whatevs.

Like I said, I don't wish to discuss it. Case closed.

• Author
While we all have our curiosity regarding the past problem, I can see why you would not want it out here. My guess is that anyone who knows you from work could put two and two together and figure out who you were. Of course, you have your picture in your profile. On the other hand, while this is anonymous, we all have personalities and reputations. Relating an embarrassing situation does affect who you are here on LS.

Like I said, drop it please.

The question really is...how will this affect your future jobs and the one you are interviewing for? Will your ex-bosses give you a good or at least decent reference? Do you feel comfortable asking them for one?

I don't know, like I said before, he didn't ask me about it. If he wants to call my ex-boss fine, however he didn't ask me if he could (although I know he doesn't have to) or why I left my job, ect. So I'm just guessing he doesn't care.

I know some are going to come after me for stating this but i dont care and thats why I have made good use of the ignore button :)(best thing in the world) :

I think we shoulds all respect lb not wanting to share that aspect of her personal life on this forum. I can very well see why she would decide not to discuss it here. Someone might google and see this thread and put two and two together..and she may just not want to rehash and learn from her "mistakes" on a public forum.

I know some are going to come after me for stating this but i dont care and thats why I have made good use of the ignore button :)(best thing in the world) :

Then why are you reading my posts? :)

I think we shoulds all respect lb not wanting to share that aspect of her personal life on this forum.

No one is asking her to disclose the details. LB dishes specific details here about all sorts of things. So if it's that personal, such that she only told her BFF and fiance, it's a pretty big deal... i.e., not something to trivialize and mock her bosses for being upset about. Are they really "A-HOLES" for getting upset about something that is that "personal"? Me thinks not. That's all. :)

LB, I still strongly encourage you to come up with a persuasive response for when you're asked why you left, because you WILL be asked by future prospective employers who are truly interested in you.

As for this interview, I don't want to be negative here, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. The fact that the interviewer didn't ask why you left when told you him that had left is very telling. They ALWAYS ask. The fact that he didn't indicates to me that he wasn't interested in knowing why for a reason: he'd already crossed you off his mental list of viable candidates.

In academia, we always need a lot of professional references, be it to apply for jobs or funding. (Most applications require 3 references).

I've been attending career counselling seminars and they suggest discussing the quality of references with referees so that we can be prepared to address any question potential employers might ask. The difference between academia and your field, as I understand it, is that because of the high amount of referees and references we have to provide, we can get references from co-workers and supervisors without involving the whole organization. We are also encouraged to ask if referees can give us a favorable reference so that, in the case they are ambivalent, we can find somebody else who may evaluate us in a better light.

The point is, we are encouraged to know what kind of references our referees will give us, so that if anything negative comes up, we can "make amends" for it, as SG says.

I wonder if there is a way for you to get in touch with whoever would be providing you with a reference at your former office. We've been told to ask: "do you think you would be able to provide future employers with a favorable reference?" and if not, ask them what they feel we need to improve on. I know it takes a healthy dose of humility to do this, but it is a winning scenario for the long run.

The point is, we are encouraged to know what kind of references our referees will give us, so that if anything negative comes up, we can "make amends" for it, as SG says.

I wonder if there is a way for you to get in touch with whoever would be providing you with a reference at your former office. We've been told to ask: "do you think you would be able to provide future employers with a favorable reference?" and if not, ask them what they feel we need to improve on. I know it takes a healthy dose of humility to do this, but it is a winning scenario for the long run.

That's a great idea, K.

That's a great idea, K.

I wish I could take credit for it, but it comes from the offices of the career centre of one of Canada's top Universities :laugh:. All the more reason, in my opinion, to take the advice.

And LB - Good luck with the job hunting!

• Author
I wish I could take credit for it, but it comes from the offices of the career centre of one of Canada's top Universities :laugh:. All the more reason, in my opinion, to take the advice.

And LB - Good luck with the job hunting!

Thanks! Your idea makes sense, that's definately something to think about.

LB, I URGE you to re-evaluate the situation with your past employer. These topics are never easy to face, but it's something working adults need to look at honestly for the sake of their futures and careers.

I don't want to press you to tell us what mistake was made on your part. But please think honestly about the mistake and how it could have been seen by your superiors. Remember that they are responsible and liable for what you do. Ask yourself if you handled things the best way you could have. Maybe they are a-holes, I don't know, but you should be more concerned about your part in that situation.

I fear that upon hearing criticism, or being reprimanded you may have shut down or been visibly angry.

Next time an issue arises at work calm down, remember that it isn't personal and try to resolve the issue. If you feel like you are being blamed for a mistake say to your boss "I can see that my (whatever error/issue) has had an impact on your confidence in me. I value my job here very much and want to show you I'm a valuable employee. What can I do to demonstrate that I'm a hard working, great employee" or something acknowledging the issue and showing your desire to repair it.

Careers are a huge and important part of our lives LB. There will be bad days and there will be people who will treat you unfairly. You have to power through this stuff like a champ :bunny:

I know that this was your first job after collage, I know it can be tough. But for your sake, try to keep an open mind about what happened and learn from it.

And again, good luck with the new job. Is this the one with the women in need?

LB, I URGE you to re-evaluate the situation with your past employer. These topics are never easy to face, but it's something working adults need to look at honestly for the sake of their futures and careers.

I don't want to press you to tell us what mistake was made on your part. But please think honestly about the mistake and how it could have been seen by your superiors. Remember that they are responsible and liable for what you do. Ask yourself if you handled things the best way you could have. Maybe they are a-holes, I don't know, but you should be more concerned about your part in that situation.

I fear that upon hearing criticism, or being reprimanded you may have shut down or been visibly angry.

But for your sake, try to keep an open mind about what happened and learn from it.

All fantastic points, Allina...and what I was trying to get at without articulating it the way you did. :) (Have you moved into HR? ;))

• Author

Next time an issue arises at work calm down, remember that it isn't personal and try to resolve the issue. If you feel like you are being blamed for a mistake say to your boss "I can see that my (whatever error/issue) has had an impact on your confidence in me. I value my job here very much and want to show you I'm a valuable employee. What can I do to demonstrate that I'm a hard working, great employee" or something acknowledging the issue and showing your desire to repair it.

Careers are a huge and important part of our lives LB. There will be bad days and there will be people who will treat you unfairly. You have to power through this stuff like a champ :bunny:

I know that this was your first job after collage, I know it can be tough. But for your sake, try to keep an open mind about what happened and learn from it.

And again, good luck with the new job. Is this the one with the women in need?

I tried everything you mentioned. But I have been trying to learn from what happened and do the best I can at another job.

This isn't the domestic violence shelter job, it's an outpatient drug/alcohol counselor. I got a letter saying that they hired someone else for the shelter job, but that's okay because I wasn't interested in the job after the interview. Outpatient counseling is more up my alley. :)