To many women/girls are over-weight.

How tall would a healthy normal woman have to be make a 28"-30" waist "healthy"? Because that's what we're talking about BEFORE we consider vanity sizing.

Again, you are purely basing everything on physical size. I've met young women who are athletes and are naturally just heavier girls, but they're in far better shape than I and could run circles around me in a race.

I guess I am just waiting for you to admit that HEALTH is not your major concern. You are shallow and you want someone who looks good, and if they're healthy in addition to being thin then you're happy.

Just don't lie and pretend it's all about being HEALTHY when what you're first and foremost after is some skinny little waif for appearances.

28"-30" waist is something like a size 6-10...So if you think a size 10 is overweight, then you wouldn't consider a 30" waist healthy...

If a guy is bigger (muscles) would you consider him to be more healthy then a skinner man, w/ less muscles? It's the same for some woman, some woman have more muscles which can make them look thicker, but in reality they are healthy. People shuld measure body fat %...

Vanity sizing is insane. In high school, I weighed 110 pounds (5'6") and wore a 7 or 9. Now I weigh more -- 125 pounds -- and wear a 2 or a 4.

0 is the New 8

Marilyn Monroe was not fat. I have nothing against plus size women, but she was far from plus sized. Here are her stats:

Height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches

Weight: Varied, 115 - 120 lbs.

Measurements: 37-23-36 (Studio's Claim); 35-22-35 (Dressmaker's Claim)

http://www.marilynmonroe.com/about/facts.html

Any woman with a 22-23 inch waist is downright thin.

Again, you are purely basing everything on physical size. I've met young women who are athletes and are naturally just heavier girls, but they're in far better shape than I and could run circles around me in a race.

Overall, people who are not overweight are healthier than people who are. Yes, there are some overweight people who are in good health, just as there are some smokers who run and won't contract COPD, lung cancer or other associated disease. But if we're looking at populations as a whole, then it is healthier to be slim than overweight.

'''We've always had size "extra small," but our clothing tends to be cut more generously because we cater to women over 35,'"

I'm concerned about appearances, I'm pretty sure I never denied it. Being attracted to pretty women is part of being a normal man. Fat isn't pretty, and the reason it's not pretty is partly because deep in our mammal brains we know it's not healthy to be too fat. Fat is also a rough indicator, particularly in less cushy societies, of advancing age. Women are a lot less fertile as they age and there is a strong reproductive benefit to selecting a fertile mate.

As for men and muscles. Men tend to pack on a lot more mass as muscle than women and have a higher metabolic rate. Also mens fertility declines more slowly with age so it seems likely that perhaps other factors might overshadow it.

Jilly Bean

I don't think it's confined to just women. Men are also getting equally obese and disgusting at the same rate.

Super size, anyone?

I don't think it's confined to just women. Men are also getting equally obese and disgusting at the same rate.

Super size, anyone?

Start a thread. I'm hoping we don't see too many men show up there arguing that looking like a movie star is unhealthy and should be avoided.

lovestruck818
Skinny is not flat-out always better. Again, you people are all putting this into a black-white thing. It's not just black or white. If you are only judging by appearances, then sure, say skinny people are better people.

If you are going for health, then you need to take in many more factors besides just weight on the scale and clothing size.

If you lost weight in a healthy way, ate right, exercised, etc. rather than just starving yourself or doing a bunch of coke to drop pounds, then sure, more power to you for being "slim" or "thin" or whatever.

It's the attitude of "skinny at all costs" that makes me sick. Guys plainly exhibit they won't date girls over a certain size or weight, and so girls drop pounds any way they can -- drugs, laxatives, starvation, binging/purging. Then guys like on this board still want those girls, even though their bones could break in a stiff wind from lack of nutrients, or they're skinny but flabby & jiggly because they have zero muscle because they never work out. Girls' hair falls out because they starve themselves or their teeth rot from puking up anything they eat. That is certainly far less attractive to me than a woman who is a healthy size 10 or 12.

But to each his or her own. Again all I would ask is that you be honest and admit if you're just being superficial.

yes but I'd rather be incredibly thin and have a boyfriend than be "average" and single...b/c being single sucks. I am thin as it is and most men tell me I'm not thin enough...but I am single and miserable...so what's the alternative? I don't really want to be single and alone the rest of my life.

yes but I'd rather be incredibly thin and have a boyfriend than be "average" and single...b/c being single sucks. I am thin as it is and most men tell me I'm not thin enough...but I am single and miserable...so what's the alternative? I don't really want to be single and alone the rest of my life.

Seriously? I just don't even know where to begin here. Sure, companionship is great. I'm engaged, and while I'm nowhere near obese, I'm definitely not a size 0 or 2 either. But the wonderful thing is that I eat pretty healthy, I exercise regularly because it makes me FEEL good (not obsessively to fit some mold of what society likes), and I'm happy with my life. And even more wonderful is that my fiance loves me just like I am now, but at the same time would KINDLY support my goals if I wanted to try to be thinner, as long as I did it in a healthy way.

My fiance would never want me to starve myself or develop some obsession with exercising. He just wants me to be active and healthy, and exercise for fun/physical fitness, not to lose weight. He thinks I'm beautiful right now.

How happy would you ever really be if your boyfriend stresses you out every time you look at a slice of cheesecake? Would you really want someone who gives you a dirty look whenever you come home from work and skip the gym because you're exhausted?

I just don't know of any man who's worth making myself miserable over like that.

Lastly, if you can't be happy in your own skin, by yourself, then no man is going to fill that void for you...

If you're already thin then that's not your real issue. You seem like a nice person from what I can tell, maybe you need to work on projecting an approachable persona.

I'm concerned about appearances, I'm pretty sure I never denied it. Being attracted to pretty women is part of being a normal man. Fat isn't pretty, and the reason it's not pretty is partly because deep in our mammal brains we know it's not healthy to be too fat.

Obesity is not pretty. But I've seen quite a few women who are not size 2 who I still think are beautiful women. Personally, if I were going to ever aspire to look like any famous model, I'd choose someone like Laetitia Costa, who is curvier but still healthy and slim. It sounds like to me you would lump her in with the "fat girls". THAT is where I think you are ridiculous.

Is it also a safe bet that you'd date a skinny, but ugly size 2 girl rather than a beautiful woman who's size 8 or 10?

Is it also a safe bet that you'd date a skinny, but ugly size 2 girl rather than a beautiful woman who's size 8 or 10?

Nope, I love a pretty face.

Also please note that Ms Casta is reported as having 35C bustline, 23.5 or 24 waist and 35 hips, so (as far as I can tell from the charts) a busty US size 4 or small waisted US 6 .... except she's 5' 7.

That's right. 5' 7, 24" waist. Yes, she's smoking hot.

lovestruck818
Nope, I love a pretty face.

Also please note that Ms Casta is reported as having 35C bustline, 23.5 or 24 waist and 35 hips, so (as far as I can tell from the charts) a busty US size 4 or small waisted US 6 .... except she's 5' 7.

That's right. 5' 7, 24" waist. Yes, she's smoking hot.

Ya know...I don't really find her all that attractive...but then again I'm a 27 year old woman. I am sure if I was a man...perhaps I would. Regarding women, I generally think shorter women are more attractive than taller ones...but that is just me.

And a pretty face is great, but how great is it really if the person is obese? Not only is obesity gross to look at it, IMO...it's very unhealthy as well! What good is a pretty face if the person isn't going to be around to enjoy it? Obesity kills...how is obesity not any worse than smoking? It's the same.

Ya know...I don't really find her all that attractive...but then again I'm a 27 year old woman. I am sure if I was a man...perhaps I would. Regarding women, I generally think shorter women are more attractive than taller ones...but that is just me.

I agree. I tend to date 5' 4 and below, and I'm not a boob guy so I tend to date slim women. I love a pretty face and nice legs.

lovestruck818
I agree. I tend to date 5' 4 and below, and I'm not a boob guy so I tend to date slim women. I love a pretty face and nice legs.

I'm 5'1" lol

nice legs...by that, I hope you don't mean long ones? lol- mine are short and stubby

I'm 5'1" lol

nice legs...by that, I hope you don't mean long ones? lol- mine are short and stubby

Long legs are a logistical problem, I like trim and shapely. Are you flirting with me?

Overweight men are socially more accepted than women. This is a known fact. Ever hear of the statement "no fat chics", i dont recall hearing one, "no fat dudes", lol. When have you ever heard a woman complaining that her bf/husbands stomache overhang is making her unhappy? I am very sure she is not finding the beer belly overly attractive.

Weight can be lost, but can an unaccepting attitude? I definitely feel better running 6 days a week however if someone was a little less than perfect I would try and encourage them and help them along knowing I could be overlooking the love of a lifetime.

Wow are ppl not responding to this anymore because it is shallow and ppl are bored of it?

Bottom line is if someone os a great person should they be overlooked and did the men that think like this ever think maybe a woman could have a health issue? Oh thats intelligent. Did I forget to mention sweet. Some ppl I happen to know are lonely and no matter what their weight status happens to be they are great ppl. It is sad when we have to step on a scale to get a date. What is this desensitised world coming to? Does this way of thinking somehow dismiss the fact ppl can change and may also be working on that, what is it "your a great person now, see me in a year?"

From the way we were raised that is not the proper way of treating another human being. My parents always taught us to help someone in need. Im not saying to get in a relationship with the first heavy person you meet, I am simply saying dont ever pass up a good person for shallow reasons you may be passing up the love of a lifetime. Remember thin minded "boys" that anyone can lose weight unless of a health problem, as I lost a decent amount and am healthier today for it and I know there are plenty more that can and will. We also carry your babies and if you have such a problem, dont impregnate us, terrible. Open your hearts as well as your eyes.:D:bunny::D:bunny:

From the way we were raised that is not the proper way of treating another human being. My parents always taught us to help someone in need. Im not saying to get in a relationship with the first heavy person you meet, I am simply saying dont ever pass up a good person for shallow reasons you may be passing up the love of a lifetime.

In an ideal world, everyone would look only on the inside and never pass up someone for shallow reasons. But we're not in an ideal world. Physical attraction is important for a lot of us, because without it, the most we could have is a platonic relationship.

For those of us who have hang-ups about weight, I think we accept that we may turn down a wonderful person. But everyone has likes and dislikes. If weight happens to be our dislike, then so be it.

Remember thin minded "boys" that anyone can lose weight unless of a health problem, as I lost a decent amount and am healthier today for it and I know there are plenty more that can and will. We also carry your babies and if you have such a problem, dont impregnate us, terrible. Open your hearts as well as your eyes.:D:bunny::D:bunny:

If you can lose weight, then do it. I'm sorry, but it seems so many people don't care enough to lose weight and they just let it be. This is the way I think, if you are ok with your body, then good for you. We can be friends and that's it. If you want to lose weight, then do it. Don't make excuses and just do it. We can be more than friends if you're committed to good health. If you can't lose weight due to a medical problem, then focus on fixing your medical problem, and focus on a relationship later on.

For myself, weight is a factor in physical attraction. I don't find heavy girls attractive. I'm sorry if you think that's shallow, but it is the way I am. If most guys are like that, it is because we can't change it. And don't forget how it's important to have physical attraction in romantic relationships. In fact, with my girlfriend, I've experienced too much physical attraction, ie constant arousal. It was great :D, except the blue balls were waay too painful afterwards :sick:

Rooster_DAR

I agree with the last post....

It's simple and ever unchanging, the more fit you are the more attractive you are. I don't see any argument there.

Cheers!

In an ideal world, everyone would look only on the inside and never pass up someone for shallow reasons. But we're not in an ideal world. Physical attraction is important for a lot of us, because without it, the most we could have is a platonic relationship.

It's not bad, it's largely based on selecting a fertile mate, although it's also partly perverted by social conditioning.

For those of us who have hang-ups about weight, I think we accept that we may turn down a wonderful person. But everyone has likes and dislikes. If weight happens to be our dislike, then so be it.

If you can lose weight, then do it. I'm sorry, but it seems so many people don't care enough to lose weight and they just let it be. This is the way I think, if you are ok with your body, then good for you. We can be friends and that's it. If you want to lose weight, then do it. Don't make excuses and just do it. We can be more than friends if you're committed to good health. If you can't lose weight due to a medical problem, then focus on fixing your medical problem, and focus on a relationship later on.

For myself, weight is a factor in physical attraction. I don't find heavy girls attractive. I'm sorry if you think that's shallow, but it is the way I am. If most guys are like that, it is because we can't change it. And don't forget how it's important to have physical attraction in romantic relationships. In fact, with my girlfriend, I've experienced too much physical attraction, ie constant arousal. It was great :D, except the blue balls were waay too painful afterwards :sick:

I definitely agree with your points as I do not prefer a heavy man as well. I just think women I am guessing by nature as a rule tend to look past a few flaws where as men are wanting more the perfect woman. I do agree with the platonic thing, excellent point. You as well as anyone else has a right to their preference:) however I guess there are different levels of what is considered "heavy" to different people. Would you have ever went with someone that was 20 pounds over weight and was a wonderful person? I was just curious what everyone thought since this topic is being discussed and has gotten pretty good feedback. In the end it is the total package. As far as the blue balls thing goes I cannot identify, LOL. Thanks for sharing your feelings on this.

I definitely agree with your points as I do not prefer a heavy man as well. I just think women I am guessing by nature as a rule tend to look past a few flaws where as men are wanting more the perfect woman.

Well I could hold the same viewpoint with the genders reversed :) But different people have different levels of expectations. Generally speaking, men care about looks, while women care about security. Men might look over some things (ie job, intelligence, even niceness) for a pretty face, while women might overlook appearance for security (money, ambition, height in a way).

I do agree with the platonic thing, excellent point. You as well as anyone else has a right to their preference:) however I guess there are different levels of what is considered "heavy" to different people. Would you have ever went with someone that was 20 pounds over weight and was a wonderful person? I was just curious what everyone thought since this topic is being discussed and has gotten pretty good feedback. In the end it is the total package. As far as the blue balls thing goes I cannot identify, LOL. Thanks for sharing your feelings on this.

I could overlook 20 pounds, maybe. Depends really on the person. I mean, doesn't everyone say they're a wonderful person? lol.

• 2 weeks later...
mental_traveller

I'm glad there are more overweight women, because my favourite body type is around size 12-14 hourglass figure, and a woman *never* looks like that if she is skinny/dieting. It's literally about 1 in 100 women with that type of look. If half the population are overweight, it goes up to maybe 3 in 100, because some women who are naturally hot at size 12-14 stop starving themselves to try and become a size 8-10. A good example is Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, she used to be hot, then went on a diet and now looks unappealing (IMO).