Take a look at this ring and tell me what you think

What if it was that nugget that Donald Trump bought for Marla Maples? Would that sway any superstitions?

New couples today would be much better off taking the $5,000 for the ring and using it to help towards a down payment on a house, but that's me.

No the used ring being Donald Trump's old ring would in no way sway my opinion :sick:

If you go back and see what I said you'll see that I stated my desire for a beautiful, quality and proper engagement ring but that if could be a white topaz or a diamond simulant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i just got engaged! I am very happy to say that i did not get a 2000 dollar diamond but something more meaningful. My bf bought a ring off his mother that she had and never worn. I was a blue sapphire. It is beautiful and it means a lot. I think you should give her something like this. The other idea my bf had was giving me the engagement ring that his father gave his mother, which would have been cool too; but he liked this ring better. Any how just a thought. Read below what the stone means, it's very interesting. Let us know what you choose in the end. also it's not very expensive, 500 is a great amount of money to spend.:)

Sapphire has long symbolized truth, sincerity, and faithfulness.

Tradition holds that Moses was given the ten commandments on tablets of sapphire, making it the most sacred gemstone.

Because sapphires represent divine favor, they were the gemstone of choice for kings and high priests. The British Crown Jewels are full of large blue sapphires, the symbol of pure and wise rulers.

Since sapphire symbolizes sincerity and faithfulness, it is an excellent choice for an engagement ring. When Prince Charles chose a sapphire engagement ring for Princess Diana, couples all over the world were inspired to revive this venerable tradition.

Sapphire is also the birthstone for September, the month when the most babies are born. Ancient lists also name sapphire as a birthstone for April and the gemstone for the sign of Taurus.

Maybe I'm a materialistic biatch or something, but an engagement ring really does need to have a diamond, not a peridot. Why a peridot?? Assuming she's born in August and that's why you're choosing it, doesn't that make it traditional? The diamond doesn't have to be big, the ring doesn't have to be fancy, but this is a ring that she's going to have FOREVER...and ever...and ever... (G_d willing that your marriage lasts! :love:)

I don't require the 2-months' salary rule, but I think if you make bank and are only willing to spend $500... hmm... That said, there are several rings on the site you posted under $500.

An engagement ring is about your future life together. That said, it's not about "us/you" it's about HER. What are HER tastes? What does her other jewelry look like? What is her style/lifestyle? You can find a ring with a diamond to fit anything...

Hey who says you have to have a diamond. I think diamonds are overrated and over priced. It's really about what you want and not what the diamonds companies want you to have. I personally want and aquamarine as my stone. I've always thought they were beautiful and think it is way more unique than a diamond.

mental_traveller

Dude just buy her what you want. If she loves you she won't care what it looks like. If she moans then you know to call off the marriage.

As for the other comments on here - don't you know it's bad form to criticize a gift? Diamond rings are a tradition, but slavery and chattel ownership of women were once traditions too. The day you ladies spend all day cooking, cleaning, and giving blowjobs on demand is the day you can start trying to dictate what a guy buys you.

Dude just buy her what you want. If she loves you she won't care what it looks like. If she moans then you know to call off the marriage.

As for the other comments on here - don't you know it's bad form to criticize a gift? Diamond rings are a tradition, but slavery and chattel ownership of women were once traditions too. The day you ladies spend all day cooking, cleaning, and giving blowjobs on demand is the day you can start trying to dictate what a guy buys you.

lmao, hurray!

LucreziaBorgia

K-os proposed early in June, she accepted and she loved the ring.

She said yes!

Oh, and the ring was perfect! My intuition was spot on. I made it clear several times that we could get something different if she didn't like it, but she thought it was just as perfect as I did. As I was telling her about all the shopping and research I had been doing, I told her that the advice of a lot of people from both forums and articles was to never, ever spend any less than two or three grand. We both got a good laugh out of that. She's like, "Geeze. That sounds more like a better absolute high point rather than the lowest!"

With the risk of sounding materialistic (you did ask for opinions) I think that ring is awful!

I would be sooooooooo disappointed if my boyfriend presented that to me as an engagement ring, actually as any ring!

but that is ME ... She may be elated to recieve that!

I wish you a very happy engagment and marriage!

I would be mad too if my boyfriend kicked up a periodot for me! :sick:

• 1 month later...

you know, my ex-fiance and I still fight over the ring he gave me. The man can buy a $30,000 car, a $1000 bike helmet, but only spring for a $1600 eternity ring? I don't care if he spent $10 as long as it looked like an engagement ring. You know, the kind that says "she's taken!!!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't take this the wrong way if any of you feel offended by this post. I don't want to start any arguments. This is just the way I feel.

I've been saying to myself a lot lately that there's no romance. Maybe there is, but it's extremely rare, and reading many of the posts in this thread has sure reinforced it for me. It seems like there's little true romance and that most people that claim to be in "LOVE" are just marrying out of dependence, fear of being alone or just to be socially acceptable. It seems like this really shows when you get people to talking about rings.

I see people criticizing the poster's choice of an engagement ring because "because it doesn't look like an engagement ring." What does that matter? This couple knows it's an engagement ring don't they? Then why should it matter? As many of you intimated, because of other people. You want her to be able to show all her friends as they gather in a circle to gaze at the ring. You want people to notice it so they'll ask about your engagement and you can stand there and talk about it endlessly. That's what I mean when I earlier mentioned "socially acceptable."

I always hear this kind of thing from people... "Oh, Brandy's getting married. Well, he must love her, she came to work wearing a big 'ol diamond." I hear that sentiment all the time, especially in those stupid ads around Valentine's day." "Show her your love with a diamond from (insert jewelers)."

I'm sorry, but all an expensive diamond ring says is that he's not above borrowing half a year's salary on one of the more common stones on earth (barely even semi-precious) but value is artificially supported by mass murder monopolies... all to buy off a girl and impress those around him.

Maybe I'm reading these posts wrong, but this is just the way I take it and it just depresses me when I hear about most people's "getting married" talk. I'm a true romantic, don't get me wrong. But when I look out there, I just don't see much of it.

you know, my ex-fiance and I still fight over the ring he gave me. The man can buy a $30,000 car, a $1000 bike helmet, but only spring for a $1600 eternity ring? I don't care if he spent $10 as long as it looked like an engagement ring. You know, the kind that says "she's taken!!!!!"

This is what I mean. I don't understand. As a woman, don't you know you're taken? Why do you of all people need a sign that says "she's taken"? Are you afraid that without your "warning ring" you'll be tempted to cheat on him if other guys come on to you?

???? You are still fighting with your EX-fiance over the ring?

Is that why you broke up?:confused:

LucreziaBorgia

1. I see people criticizing the poster's choice of an engagement ring because "because it doesn't look like an engagement ring." What does that matter? This couple knows it's an engagement ring don't they? Then why should it matter?

2. As many of you intimated, because of other people. You want her to be able to show all her friends as they gather in a circle to gaze at the ring. You want people to notice it so they'll ask about your engagement and you can stand there and talk about it endlessly. That's what I mean when I earlier mentioned "socially acceptable."

3. I'm sorry, but all an expensive diamond ring says is that he's not above borrowing half a year's salary on one of the more common stones on earth (barely even semi-precious) but value is artificially supported by mass murder monopolies... all to buy off a girl and impress those around him.

1. Honestly, it shouldn't matter - but to many it does, because that is what they are taught by peers, who are taught be a generation before them, and a generation before them and so on who in turn were taught by the diamond industry who uses advertising to convince the general population that the proof of his love lies in how much he invests in the traditional engagement ring. People believe it because such an idea has gone from a way to jack up the prices of and sell diamonds, to a societal "truth" (one that people believe even though there is no real concrete reason to believe it). You aren't fighting selfishness or shallowness - you are facing something far deeper. These are people who truly do believe in the whole diamond engagement ring thing as a token of love and commitment. Why do they believe it? For the same reason schoolchildren believe what they learn in school. Because they are taught that, and it is reinforced by peers and by media advertising.

2. Bingo. Women are socialized to compete with one another, and this is simply another way to do it. Dieting is another, and so is fashion. Don't for a second believe its about the man - its about impressing and one upping other women. It is so deeply ingrained into our society by now though, that you would never convince the average woman the foregoing the engagement ring is a sensible thing to do. Not all of us are like that, but a good deal of us understand what the deal is and see why other women think the way that they do - that's why I mentioned it not 'looking like' an engagement ring (though I didn't push the diamond idea) - not because I personally thought that way, but because I was guessing that his girlfriend might based on the probability of her being in the majority of women who think that way. Thankfully for K-os I was wrong! ;)

3. You'd have an easier time trying to convince people that being attractive isn't about your weight. The people who would listen are people who are dating people who fall outside of the "acceptable therefore attractive" weight range, or in that weight range themselves. Only people who think like you do about diamonds are going to even consider what you are saying - or at the very least a few others might see what you are saying but still believe the way that they do.

Its an uphill battle when you are trying to make sense of how people think in terms of what they are taught to think through the media. The advertising industry has the general population by the balls, and people will believe pretty much anything that is thrown at them if it is hyped enough - and worse yet, will adopt is a "truth".

IMUSTBEAFOOL

http://www.engagementrings.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=435&category_id=3

i would love some comments

i started the downpayments then because the woman i wanted to be with was not in the same 'space' as i was - in fact she had just dumped me the day after i had gone shopping so i was a little shell shocked and the sad part is that was a year ago and i haven't seen her since or heard a word from her so for all i know she could be already married now - i think i only saw THE ONE i love 4 or 5 times last year and my presence didn't quite go over well - but i never let that change how i feel - I PROMISED HER THIS YEARS AGO - and the way I feel about her hasn't changed - everyone thinks I am totally insane for saying that but I don't care - this is my life and I get to call the shots - now don't think I am a stalker or am willing to 'wait' forever, its quite the opposite - I know who I am now, what i WANT and the qualities a woman must have to be with me - I have clarity

http://www.engagementrings.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=435&category_id=3

i would love some comments

i started the downpayments then because the woman i wanted to be with was not in the same 'space' as i was - in fact she had just dumped me the day after i had gone shopping so i was a little shell shocked and the sad part is that was a year ago and i haven't seen her since or heard a word from her so for all i know she could be already married now - i think i only saw THE ONE i love 4 or 5 times last year and my presence didn't quite go over well - but i never let that change how i feel - I PROMISED HER THIS YEARS AGO - and the way I feel about her hasn't changed - everyone thinks I am totally insane for saying that but I don't care - this is my life and I get to call the shots - now don't think I am a stalker or am willing to 'wait' forever, its quite the opposite - I know who I am now, what i WANT and the qualities a woman must have to be with me - I have clarity

You could benefit from some therapy.. This type of thinking isn't a rational healthy pattern and you should seek help.

I understand how hard it is to get your heart handed to you but your ex has married another and you need to move on and look more toward you future rather than toward the past.

Dwelling on the wedding ring that you had picked out for her is good..

I do think the ring is nice but she married someone else and if you find another at some time you would want to pick out another ring

2. Bingo. Women are socialized to compete with one another, and this is simply another way to do it. Dieting is another, and so is fashion. Don't for a second believe its about the man - its about impressing and one upping other women. It is so deeply ingrained into our society by now though, that you would never convince the average woman the foregoing the engagement ring is a sensible thing to do.

This is so true. It's all about competition so they can show their rings off to their friends. If you are truly in love and want to marry none of the nonsense of a diamond ring, wedding, the biggest house, etc and all the other crap that goes along with it matters. The competition thing between women is ridiculous. Women even dress for other women. Why not remove the man alltogether and marry one another since that's all they care about impressing.

Ok folks, I always told my boyfriend (now husband) that I never needed some 'big old diamond'. (Because I'd rather spent money somewhere else.)

So he never gave me an engagement ring at all. not a peridot. not a cubic zirconia, not a plastic thing from a nickel machine. He gave me no ring at all.

Which actually bothered me. I dont think the guy needs to spend 1000s of dollars or even buy a diamond, but come up with something.

I would have been happy to get a peridot or my birthstone...just something

IMUSTBEAFOOL

WHOA! I HAD NO IDEA! THANKS. WELL, THAT SOLVES THAT I GUESS. HEY, IT NOT LIKE LIFE OR DEATH MAN. WELL, OK, EX IS MARRIED - NO NEED TO BE HANGING AROUND SITES LIKE THIS ANYMORE. HOPE SHE'S HAPPY. THAT'S LIFE.

You could benefit from some therapy.. This type of thinking isn't a rational healthy pattern and you should seek help.

I understand how hard it is to get your heart handed to you but your ex has married another and you need to move on and look more toward you future rather than toward the past.

Dwelling on the wedding ring that you had picked out for her is good..

I do think the ring is nice but she married someone else and if you find another at some time you would want to pick out another ring

WHOA! I HAD NO IDEA! THANKS. WELL, THAT SOLVES THAT I GUESS. HEY, IT NOT LIKE LIFE OR DEATH MAN. WELL, OK, EX IS MARRIED - NO NEED TO BE HANGING AROUND SITES LIKE THIS ANYMORE. HOPE SHE'S HAPPY. THAT'S LIFE.

I wasn't trying to be harsh..I was trying to get you to see the reality of your thinking right now before you do something that could put you in trouble or even in jail..

If your ex thinks you are bothering her she will seek a restraining order and only bad things can happen from that.

In another post on another thread you mentioned this :

CONGRATS...ON THE WEDDING PLANS

I might be getting hitched as well

It seems to me that you are still thinking you are going to marry your ex..

If your ex has married someone else I think there is a high chance that she may not be marrying you.

Peace Out...

We chose to go with CZ and no one knows the difference!!!! We did let my mom in on the secret because she had to go in and pick up the ring. (we are from new orleans and that is where the jeweler is..we live in los angeles now)...and we needed the ring in a hurry cuz we were going to vegas to tie the knot at the last minute).....here is the link to the ring I got in White Gold www.orleansjewels.com and click wedding sets then click #AD9721. It's heavy just like a really nice set. My sister in law did the same thing. She actually got a duplicate made of her engagement ring from the same jeweler and put her ring in a safe depost box. Its a $10,000 ring. All their rings are 10k or 14K gold, just the diamond is fake.

• 2 weeks later...

I would personally go for a bigger center stone with some diamonds around it.

if you are having to question if it is the right ring or not, i think you should keep searching until you see one that says "WOW shes gonna love this one! I have to get it".

I mean this is a once in a lifetime thing for a girl to get engaged - so you have to make it as special as possible!

[and i'm not saying its all about the ring but you do want something that will blow her away :) ]

I've been saying to myself a lot lately that there's no romance. Maybe there is, but it's extremely rare, and reading many of the posts in this thread has sure reinforced it for me. It seems like there's little true romance and that most people that claim to be in "LOVE" are just marrying out of dependence, fear of being alone or just to be socially acceptable. It seems like this really shows when you get people to talking about rings.

I'm sorry, but all an expensive diamond ring says is that he's not above borrowing half a year's salary on one of the more common stones on earth (barely even semi-precious) but value is artificially supported by mass murder monopolies... all to buy off a girl and impress those around him.

I have a strong problem with your post. Romance can be expressed in many ways, one of which certainly is proposing with an expensive diamond ring. One can show love and caring by not putting one's fiance(e) in a position that they will be socially ostracized or made uncomfortable (such as when asked to show a $30 zirconia from Walmart to her best friend or mother). Love is about taking the well-being of another into consideration. Love does not exist in a vacuum between two people; it is rather developed and reflected from the actions and feelings of these two people facing their world.

Real "true romance" would take into consideration of both the material and the immaterial. Words and feelings are no truer in love than objects and actions.

I have a strong problem with your post. Romance can be expressed in many ways, one of which certainly is proposing with an expensive diamond ring. One can show love and caring by not putting one's fiance(e) in a position that they will be socially ostracized or made uncomfortable (such as when asked to show a $30 zirconia from Walmart to her best friend or mother). Love is about taking the well-being of another into consideration. Love does not exist in a vacuum between two people; it is rather developed and reflected from the actions and feelings of these two people facing their world.

Real "true romance" would take into consideration of both the material and the immaterial. Words and feelings are no truer in love than objects and actions.

Oh my God Va Bene, not being able to show off a big expensive rock to friends and family is such a traumatic, scarring experience for a girl. What nonsense! Some people will rationalize their greed and materialism in many ways and this is one fine example.

If you're right, then maybe a girl needs to spend 3 month's pay to buy a guy a diamond ring (a barely semiprecious stone that's price is artifically inflated to dozens of times its actual value by murdering any poverty stricken Africans that attempt to sell diamonds and break a cartel's monopoly) too?

You say true love is about taking a person's well being into consideration? What does a worthless, overpriced rock on a girls finger do to keep her healthy and fed and cared for? Nothing.

As you've clearly demonstrated by your post, you are the type that is all concerned with outward appearances and impressing other people with trinkets and bobbles. If that's the kind of person you are, fine. Just don't try to pass that off as "true romance."

No wonder the divorce rate is so high in a decadent material society where this kind of thing is the basis of relationships.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh my God Va Bene, not being able to show off a big expensive rock to friends and family is such a traumatic, scarring experience for a girl. What nonsense! Some people will rationalize their greed and materialism in many ways and this is one fine example.

Social conventions exist and have always existed. To brush it off like a girl should not be at all concerned about what others may think of her and her engagement is naive and arrogant. The love of two individuals does not exist in a vacuum.

If you're right, then maybe a girl needs to spend 3 month's pay to buy a guy a diamond ring (a barely semiprecious stone that's price is artifically inflated to dozens of times its actual value by murdering any poverty stricken Africans that attempt to sell diamonds and break a cartel's monopoly) too?

There are many diamonds that are conflict-free (e.g., Canadian diamonds). And newsflash for you, the price of your iPod and the clothes you are wearing are also artificially inflated dozens of times its actual cost. Get over it.

You say true love is about taking a person's well being into consideration? What does a worthless, overpriced rock on a girls finger do to keep her healthy and fed and cared for? Nothing.

This ain't the Middle Ages; well-being and quality of life includes a lot more than being fed. There are also psychological and spiritual considerations in a person's well-being. If your girl wants a diamond to confirm your love, are you going to deny her because of what YOU want or think? Get over yourself. Being a cheapass is actually more a reflection of YOUR materialism, because you can't see past the idea that in the end love has no price.

No wonder the divorce rate is so high in a decadent material society where this kind of thing is the basis of relationships.

You don't have a clue. Divorce rate is so high today because of "hopeless romantics" like you who refuse to grasp reality (and history). Maybe you ought to read up the history of marriage in Western civilization, including its financial expediency and divorce rates. There ought to be a time machine for fools like you who bemoan the glorious times of the past, so that you can have a reality taste of what you idealize.