Take a look at this ring and tell me what you think

My Fair Katie

My god I'm in lust over the number 2 link. What a lovely sparkle.

What does your soon-to-be fiance do? Because even though I lust for it I know that I could never wear it, 18k gold is just too pliable so that's something to keep in mind.

Personally I like peridot, it's a cheerful gem color.

Good luck!

green-eyed beauty
I don't believe that a man's love is measured in how much he spends.

Eh. If he really wants to show the woman he loves her, and is serious about the commitment, he'll spend some money on a decent ring.

• Author
If a woman really loves you she will accept a 25 cent plastic ring out of a vending machine at the supermarket.

Ha ha, that's totally the kind of girl she is! Personally, I would never marry one of those girls that finds it absolutely necessary that I "prove" my love with several thousand dollars. Then again I would never stay with a girl NEARLY long enough to marry her if she was like this. RUN, don't walk away. Those are the girls with their nose in the air expecting everything to be done for them and not to lift a finger. High maintenance b****es are not for me. That said, I obviously love to take care of my girl. Sometimes I spend $10 on a gift and sometimes I spend a heck of a lot more, but I always try my very best to find (or make!) something perfect. I make her food, surprise her with flowers, drive her around when her car breaks down, suprise her with that jacket she loved at the mall but couldn't afford, rub her back, etc. She's the same with me. If something happens to carry a hefty price tag then that's fine. But as soon as it's expected "or else", it kills everything.

By the way, I haven't spent any crazy amounts of money on any TV. I buy things when I need them, but it's not like I'm out there wasting money all the time. The only things I've spent a really good chunk of money on for myself in the past two or so years have been camera equipment. But that's my passion and I have clients to impress. I do my reseach and buy what's of professional quality and suits my needs. The camera body I like to dream about is over $3k, but right now that would be overkill. An $800 body works just as good for what I do at the moment.

• Author
My god I'm in lust over the number 2 link. What a lovely sparkle.

What does your soon-to-be fiance do? Because even though I lust for it I know that I could never wear it, 18k gold is just too pliable so that's something to keep in mind.

She works at a grocery store checking and in produce. She actually does bang her hands a bit both at work and elsewhere. That would be a great reason to go for palladium or platinum. That would take away the need for rhodium plating every few years too. I think I'm going to go ahead and go for white gold, then ask if she'd like to switch out for a different metal. Some people seem to think silver and white gold are never fit to be worn long term, while others see no problem with it. We'll talk to some jewelers in person later to get some opinions.

nittygritty

I have a amethyst and peridot cocktail ring. The color combination of the two stones is really pretty.

Have you thought about looking for a ring that includes both of your birthstones?

The only things I've spent a really good chunk of money on for myself in the past two or so years have been camera equipment. But that's my passion and I have clients to impress.

Hmm. Well, don't you have a passion for her and isn't she someone you want to impress?

Anyway. I like #2 and #3. However, I noticed that the #2 link is the only one that provides any information on the quality of the peridot center stone, and it's only "fair". I believe that means you can see the imperfections in the stone with a naked eye, and those imperfections will cause the ring to appear cloudy and less sparkly.

Is there any site where you can buy the stones separately based on quality, and then have the stone set in the setting you like?

And to answer your question about stone preferences, I personally like rubies and would prefer those over a birthstone. Still, I think I'd prefer a diamond to a ruby for an engagement ring.

TBF, what difference does that make?

I've never heard of a proposal where the guy proposes and states "this ring costs X amount of dollars.....now whatcha buyin' ME?" lol

I guess I always thought of the proposal process as the guy wants to marry you so he buys you a ring.

In return for my hand in marriage, he gets to have sex with me for the rest of his life. That more than makes up for the ring. ha ha

:lmao:

I liked these ones.

I don't see what is wrong with peridot, its different to the bog standard diamond, some of the above rings are beautiful, and I think they DO look like engagement rings.

If you know she likes peridot, then go for it.

Personally, I like antique or unusual looking diamond ones, but thats me, and TBF already knows I have a deal going with wonderboy that if he buys me a ring, I buy him a boat.

The boat will be used by us both, so I win both ways!

My Fair Katie
She works at a grocery store checking and in produce. She actually does bang her hands a bit both at work and elsewhere. That would be a great reason to go for palladium or platinum. That would take away the need for rhodium plating every few years too. I think I'm going to go ahead and go for white gold, then ask if she'd like to switch out for a different metal. Some people seem to think silver and white gold are never fit to be worn long term, while others see no problem with it. We'll talk to some jewelers in person later to get some opinions.

I've no problem with silver or white gold, but to each their own. My engagement ring was platinum, my band is white gold. I know you're supposed to be able to tell a difference, but I can't.

Talking to a jeweler is a good idea though, s/he can get a feel of what sort of ring would fit her lifestyle. Since she bangs her hand around a lot you might want to look into Bezel Setting (here's an example of a Bezel Setting with peridot, but I don't think it's what you're looking for, bit too ostentatious: http://www.graciousrose.com/white-gold-peridot-ring-p-3670.html)

thoughtsofhim

Out of all the links you posted... I absolutely love #2.

The idea to purpose with a ring from a machine would be cute (if you think she honestly wouldn't be dissappointed). It would make it memorable and then you could show her maybe 2 or 3 rings you picked out for her and let her pick the one she liked best. I think you really need to get her input somehow. It would ease some of your stress and it wouldn't leave her pretending to like something she didn't.

green-eyed beauty

Well I'm none of those things you said, high-maintenance and whatever...but I think a man will be a man when it comes to engagement and get his girl a decent ring.

K-os, don't listen to the posters saying all women want diamonds. They know what they want and possibly what their friends want, but you know best what your fiance wants.

I personally wouldn't want a diamond engagement ring because it's so unoriginal. Also, diamonds are overpriced because the public has been convinced that they're rarer than they are. To me, a big diamond engagement ring is a symbol for sucker.

I agree that the first ring you showed in nice, but it looks flimsy and cheap. The 2nd set you posted are a lot nicer. Seems nobody agrees with me so far, but I like the 1st. http://www.netaya.com/4cwlr6pd-00.html It seems a little big though and has too many diamonds for my personal taste. The second one is nice too.

Yikes. Do I really sound that self-involved, Star Gazer? I really didn't mean to come off that way. What do other people think?

I think you sound very sweet and focused on getting a ring that's meaningful and to your gf's taste. The way you explained getting her your birthstone seemed totally sweet and romantic. I can see how some people might take it as "marking" her though. I think the following is a great idea:

Have you thought about looking for a ring that includes both of your birthstones?

She values uniqueness and individuality just as much as me.

If that's true, I don't think a diamond is right for her.

But whoever suggested taking her to a jewelry store had a good idea. See what she likes there. So she doesn't suspect, you could say you're shopping for a present for your mom then gradually steer the conversation into what she'd like for herself.

If a woman really loves you she will accept a 25 cent plastic ring out of a vending machine at the supermarket. It seems that some women just want the big trophy to show off.

Amen, brother.

And one could say if he really loved her he would spend as much or more on the ring than he did on his big flat screen tv!;)

At least the TV is useful. ;)

Trialbyfire

Part of my issue with the very first ring is the filigree. While it can be appealing to people, from a practical perspective, it can also be a pain to keep clean.

I also like the idea of finding out her preferences. You can get a better feel by looking at her existing jewelry. One way to find out if she's a diamond person is to rent the movie Blood Diamond. Then the two of you can have a spirited discussion about diamonds as part of the conversation, sliding it into a discussion about other forms of precious or semi-precious stones.

I do know one thing. I enjoyed being surprised by my ex. The combination of the proposal on one knee, sealed with the ring, was romance to die for. :o

• Author
I have a amethyst and peridot cocktail ring. The color combination of the two stones is really pretty.

Why yes I have. Unfortunately that kind of thing is even harder to come by, but it could be an awesome idea if I found something just right. I'm not considering this next ring at all, but I think it's adorable

in it's own way:

http://www.jewelsforme.com/item-main.asp?stone1=02&stone2=08&metal=W&itemnumber=267R-14&gemtype=05&itemmonth=05&pricecheck=&shape=&category=RINGS&page=&subcategory=&cu=&ad=&themecolor=&Design=1&newring=Y&Ostock=0&Submit2=Show+me+my+Ring%21

Hmm. Well, don't you have a passion for her and isn't she someone you want to impress?

Anyway. I like #2 and #3. However, I noticed that the #2 link is the only one that provides any information on the quality of the peridot center stone, and it's only "fair". I believe that means you can see the imperfections in the stone with a naked eye, and those imperfections will cause the ring to appear cloudy and less sparkly.

Is there any site where you can buy the stones separately based on quality, and then have the stone set in the setting you like?

Ha ha. I suppose you're right. I do have a passion for her and impressing her is always good. My point, though, was that I'm not putting a big screen tv or anything else in front of her. Most of my big purchases are somewhat required and not overly extravagant. A lens or CF card for a shoot I have coming up, a new computer to replace a very old one, a car, etc.

I share your sentiments exactly about the lack of info on gemstones. Some have specs on them, most don't. And rarely is the information as detailed as it typically is on diamonds. I smell a bias here. Although, diamonds are much more expensive (even if they are artificially that way) so it's somewhat understandable to have more ratings available for them. There's a show coming up in a couple days at a jeweler I went to recently. Loose stones of everykind will be there as well as something like 700 additional settings. They'll even have some people right there on the floor that can mount the stones right in front of you the same day. I have an appointment with the manager for that day.

The idea to purpose with a ring from a machine would be cute (if you think she honestly wouldn't be dissappointed). It would make it memorable and then you could show her maybe 2 or 3 rings you picked out for her and let her pick the one she liked best.

I think this would be an awesome alternative to proposing without a ring. Very cute and I'm sure she would keep the fake ring just as long as the real one!

One way to find out if she's a diamond person is to rent the movie Blood Diamond. Then the two of you can have a spirited discussion about diamonds as part of the conversation, sliding it into a discussion about other forms of precious or semi-precious stones.

We were renting a movie a month or two ago and for some reason nothing was really appealing to me that day. So I told her I had no preference and she could pick out anything she wanted. She chose Blood Diamond. Some comments were made by both of us, but I don't recall a big conversation on diamonds and other stones. That was a great idea though. I just might have done it if we hadn't already watched it.

Trialbyfire
We were renting a movie a month or two ago and for some reason nothing was really appealing to me that day. So I told her I had no preference and she could pick out anything she wanted. She chose Blood Diamond. Some comments were made by both of us, but I don't recall a big conversation on diamonds and other stones. That was a great idea though. I just might have done it if we hadn't already watched it.

This is even easier then.

"At work, we were talking about that movie, Blood Diamond, and somehow the ladies piped up and said they still wanted diamonds, regardless of how it gets to them...." etc... ;)

Ha ha. I suppose you're right. I do have a passion for her and impressing her is always good. My point, though, was that I'm not putting a big screen tv or anything else in front of her. Most of my big purchases are somewhat required and not overly extravagant. A lens or CF card for a shoot I have coming up, a new computer to replace a very old one, a car, etc.

I understand you are generally not extravagant. However, my fear is you are thinking of this ring from a short-term cost perspective, instead of from the 'she's going to wear this every day forever' perspective. How many CF cards and lenses will you buy over a lifetime? Upgraded cameras? Computers? How much will all that cost you over the next 40 years?

And, in comparison, how much will this one ring - a ring that you won't be replacing in a few years - cost? A $500 ring over 40 years costs you $12.50 per year. Surely, you can spend a little more than that on her?

I share your sentiments exactly about the lack of info on gemstones. Some have specs on them, most don't. And rarely is the information as detailed as it typically is on diamonds. I smell a bias here. Although, diamonds are much more expensive (even if they are artificially that way) so it's somewhat understandable to have more ratings available for them. There's a show coming up in a couple days at a jeweler I went to recently. Loose stones of everykind will be there as well as something like 700 additional settings. They'll even have some people right there on the floor that can mount the stones right in front of you the same day. I have an appointment with the manager for that day.
Make sure to ask a lot of questions at the show, just as you would for diamonds. You might also consider semi-precious stones, like rubies, sapphires, or emeralds if you are set against a diamond. I believe some of the more reputable sites will have the quality ratings...try Bule Nile. I know they have sapphires and rubies as well as diamonds - maybe use them to price a loose stone of good quality and compare it to what you will find at the show.

hey k-Os,

I hope that whatever the outcome is, you will both be happy. I have a feeling that after all this effort, I am sure that you will find something that will last forever, and I wish you both lasting happiness. As for money, the reason its a 3 month salary, is because if she is worth it, it should not matter. But man, having taste is such a bonus!

• Author
I understand you are generally not extravagant. However, my fear is you are thinking of this ring from a short-term cost perspective, instead of from the 'she's going to wear this every day forever' perspective. How many CF cards and lenses will you buy over a lifetime? Upgraded cameras? Computers? How much will all that cost you over the next 40 years?

And, in comparison, how much will this one ring - a ring that you won't be replacing in a few years - cost? A $500 ring over 40 years costs you $12.50 per year. Surely, you can spend a little more than that on her?

You bring up a very solid point. I love how gathing opinions like this helps you to look at things from all angles. I definitely see what you're saying and will take it to heart.

nittygritty

How about proposing with a simple but elegant eternity engagement band. If you can't find a ring that your sure that she will like then let her pick out a wedding ring that she likes that can be worn next to the band. Even if its bought at a future Wedding Anniversary it would be something for her to look forward to.

Or

It may be in poor taste but I suppose you could propose with a unisex wedding band that you would be willing to wear and tell her that you want her to help you pick out her ring.

K-OS, why not go to a local jeweler in your hometown and see what they can do for you. You might be surprised. I realize the budget is not terribly big for this, but it is indeed more the thought.

What about a three stone ring...hear me out...with your birthstone on one side, hers on the other and a larger stone in the middle. Something like this:

https://diacan.com/store/images/Ring%20RG3%20g.jpg

You could even go with a CZ in the middle and make a promise to replace it with a real diamond on your fifth anniversary or tenth or whatever.

I agree that it ought to look like an engagement ring. She will want to show it off. But it is also more the thought.

• Author

I've thought about doing something along those lines, Adick. Although, I'd probably go for a diamond in the middle in that case. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

K-os

You can get a vast selection of rings from estate sales or pawn shops at a 1/4 of the price of retail store prices. More Bling for your buck.

You can have them appraised ........or purchase with an appraisal gaurantee.

I am selling a ring right now on craigslist - another great place to look.

As for Peridot and costing $300+ for the first ring ...... you are getting ripped off.

I plan to take a trip to the pawn shop soon to dump some plain gold jewelry I think is disgusting and exchange it for some power tools there.

My first ring was $3,700....... returned it.... well known store that lied that it wasn't enhanced and a large crack showed up after 1 week :mad: (did not like it anyway too big) ....... ended up with a $100 band for the wedding (no time to shop for a new ring)....... now have a gorgeous antique platinum - estate sale $650ish.... No appraisal yet but I estimate over $1,000. I replaced my H ring recently ...... retail was $390ish..... I found the exact same ring for $145 online.

You can also buy settings online or in shops..... buy a loose stone and have it set.

I am one thrifty biotch. :lmao:

There are plenty of people out there who have stones other than diamonds for their engagement rings. I think something you should take into consideration is the hardness of the stones you're considering. One of the reasons diamonds make such good stones for engagement rings is because they are so durable. This is a ring she'll be wearing day in, day out. It needs to be able to withstand the wear and tear. I know that sapphires are a popular choice after diamonds, partially because they have a high hardness rating.

pricescope.com is a good resource. The people there really know their stuff when it comes to gemstones.

Good luck! I'm sure she will love whatever you end up picking out.

I think that whatever you choose, the idea that it look like an engagement ring is important. My fiance got me a ring that was an eternity band, which he thought I'd love because it was 'cheeky' and didn't look old fashioned and because I valued individuality, etc.

I misinterpreted it as a sign that he did want to marry me, but maybe didn't want everyone to think he was really that into it. Obviously, there were other issues which led me to feel this way, but I think that the majority of ladies want a ring that says to everyone "I'm Taken! Yipe!"

The one above with the big peridot and diamonds around looked perfect. I also agree with the above poster, if you spend alot on other items (cars, tvs, toys etc) she may be offended that you choose not to slash out for quality on her.

But if you're doing the best you can with what you have, she will know it and she will really love it and feel it.

Good luck

check out "gems TV" if the budget is an issue. They have quality and price guarantees. I worked for the owner for a while. You will find their site online where you can watch the channel.

have fun!