Take a look at this ring and tell me what you think

Anyway, Record Producer stated pretty much the same thing and you're not riding her ass.

Though I didn't agree with RP, I didn't have a "WTF" reaction to any of her statements.

Sorry if you think I'm ripping on you. All I'm trying to do is respond to posts. I tend to come on too strongly when something doesn't make any sense to me. I tried to form responses to explain how I disagreed with the statement, "You are worth making a few payments for." and I came to the conclusion that it was shallow on too many levels for a simple explanation. Just my opinion.

It's just that if a guy who makes meager earnings as say....a kindergarten teacher, and saves, say....$5000 (just a random number here), to buy a ring for his girlfriend to propose, he has really planned and made an effort to make an impression to the woman he loves. He has made efforts to do it right with the ring and the proposal by saving the money to buy this ring

He has also wasted a lot of money on something that will drop drastically in value and serve the same purpose which something that cost $5 could have. That $5000 could have been used to buy a house or pay for college for their kids if they have any... or to buy himself a Harley that he can ride with his wife and they could have a heck of a good time doing it. ;)

K-os got an inexpensive ring and it's pretty clear he's crazy about his girl and dead serious about marrying her.

And she accepted and was really happy about it, so his gut instincts were right!

Some people have totally missed the point of this thread, and the debate rages on AFTER Kos's successful proposal.

No, you don't get it. It's not about 'proof' and such. It's just that a man will go the extra mile for a woman he loves. Like I said...he has no problem buying a $7000 plasma TV or a $15,000 Harley. Isn't the woman he's marrying worth spending a little on a ring for? It's like, oh, golly gee, i'll just get her this el cheepie, and go get that Harley I want.

I don't want a guy like that. I want a guy who wants to go the extra mile and make an effort, not some half-assed going through the motions crap.

Kos isn't one of those guys- he wasn't scrimping on the ring just so he could buy himself something. He has limited funds. Full stop.

Despite this he still wanted to propose to the woman he loves.

Money shouldn't be a barrier to people declaring their love for eachother.

IF a guy can afford a $7000 plasma screen and a $15000 harley, he is probably going to buy an expensive ring too. Not one person on this thread has admitted to spending less on a ring so they can have these kind of things, although it has been a common assumption that thats why people spend less on a ring.

Some people spend less simply because they HAVE less money.

It doesn't make their love any less valid.

It's like was brought up before, men won't think twice about spending $15,000 for a Harley. So...isn't a woman a little more important to you than a Harley that she is only worth a half-assed cheap commitment ring?

The difference is, I can "mount" the Harley any time I want to :cool:

Mr. Lucky

I know he proposed and she accepted. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

I would be super disappointed if that was my ring. I wouldnt say No because I LOVE my bf, but i would be so embarrased to show people. I want a diamond, as cliche as it is. I want to see that my man saved his money for the woman he loves and that he realizes this is one of the biggest, life changing things ever.

Also, it's true, if you are willing to buy expensive tv's and xbox and games etc, you better put some money into the engagement ring. I want at least one carat (center stone) I dont need anything crazy, just one nice round diamond. I would say yes to a bread tie, but i want to be proud and feel pampered.

No, it's not that mystic, ethereal symbolic crap.

It's just that if a guy who makes meager earnings as say....a kindergarten teacher, and saves, say....$5000 (just a random number here), to buy a ring for his girlfriend to propose, he has really planned and made an effort to make an impression to the woman he loves. He has made efforts to do it right with the ring and the proposal by saving the money to buy this ring instead of say, that supergyro souped up laptop computer he's salivating over that many guys would just buy without a second thought - he will do it right and put forth effort to being married to him a joy.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

Congratulations, k'os.

My boyfriend makes meager earnings at his job and I would never expect him to save up 5000 or even 1000 dollars for an engagment ring. I would feel selfish and like materialistic brat. If he is making little money and the women really wants to marry him she should care more about his well being and how he will pay his bills then rather she gets a fancy rock.

Besides I'd rather him buy that souped up laptop hes been salivating over as long as he knows I'll be using it more then him. :D

I would be super disappointed if that was my ring. I wouldnt say No because I LOVE my bf, but i would be so embarrased to show people.

Wow, that's kinda harsh considering you're talking about the ring he proposed with :eek:

I guess it is a little harsh, but no more harsh then people in the beginning of the thread saying they dont like it either. And I would be embarassed. A friend of mine (well, acquantance) got engaged and her bf bought her a 3 stone diamond engagemnent ring maybe adding up to be a half carat or less. Really small. When she showed me she was looking at the ground and shakey and hardly smiled and was just uncomfortable, puller her hand away quickly. I want to be super proud of what my man picked out for me, and for me that includes a nice looking ring. Engagement rings ARE diamonds, clear, pink or canary or whatever, but a diamond.

3 members with cat used pics in a row :):bunny:

Sorry Ash but as I said, telling a guy who just proposed that you'd be embarrassed of the ring he chose is tactless.

Heck i spent $2800.00 on an engagement ring thought she would love it ,'Wrong" . See its the love that matters not the ring is she spending alot on u a ring ? The ring i bought ? probably in a pawn shop now anyway . It shouldnt matter my Mother had a gold band , plan and simple! p.s when i gave her the ring she said she loved the ring cause it came from me but wasent her taste i was like huh ! She is insane so i now take that into account , insane with papers lol .

Also, it's true, if you are willing to buy expensive tv's and xbox and games etc, you better put some money into the engagement ring. I want at least one carat (center stone) I dont need anything crazy, just one nice round diamond. I would say yes to a bread tie, but i want to be proud and feel pampered.

Let's turn it around. What if a man made 40k a year, was TOTALLY in love with his gf, and didn't spend money on TV, Harleys and XBox games. Then what's his obligation? What if he spent his income on his 6 year old car and taking his gf out to have fun and travel and such?

Does that make any difference as you suggest?

Let's turn it around. What if a man made 40k a year, was TOTALLY in love with his gf, and didn't spend money on TV, Harleys and XBox games. Then what's his obligation? What if he spent his income on his 6 year old car and taking his gf out to have fun and travel and such?

Does that make any difference as you suggest?

That means YOU should spend approximately $6,666.67 on a ring, assuming she starts putting out again. :p;)

Oh well on the tact thing, just being honest. It doesnt look like an engagement ring.

See, regardless of what he makes yearly, i want to see that he planned and saved for it. I would rather him save for 6 months and plan and think about what "engagement" really means, rather say "I'm going to propose tomorrow, what can $400 buy???" It's just me. I dont need anything crazy but i am a girly girl...again, i wouldnt say no to a crappy ring, and he probably wouldnt find out how i feel, but inside i would certainly feel a little disappointment and wouldnt want to show my ring off.

That means YOU should spend approximately $6,666.67 on a ring, assuming she starts putting out again. :p;)

You're a brat. At least I'm only one well placed stroke away from getting some on any given night. :p

You're a brat. At least I'm only one well placed stroke away from getting some on any given night. :p

Yeah, but aren't we all?? ;)

Yeah, but aren't we all?? ;)

Well, women, yeah. It's a bit harder for us men. We have to have the griddle bought and warmed up before we have a shot at getting toast... if ya know what I mean ;)

What does this have to do with equality?

It is a tradition. The man buys the woman a ring and proposes.

Yep so true it is a tradition. Hey man, atleast her father is paying for the wedding right? Her family will be bringing all those wedding shower gifts to help the two of you start off with everything you need right?

I mean we are following tradition....

I ain't got no problem with you ring bud. Your girl may think she is graduating high school though when you put it on her. You may even want to spin it a few times for good luck.....

Thomas

• Author
Sorry Ash but as I said, telling a guy who just proposed that you'd be embarrassed of the ring he chose is tactless.

In real life, sure. But on here I expect and welcome it. I want people to express their honest opinions!

stupidgirlbitty

you should shop around pawn shops and second hand jewellers- now youve got to think how many engagements go wrong - where do you think the rings end up - my first engagement ring was bought for 1k and i pawned it for 200 and it was resold for 400 - so whoever got that got a good deal - also try ebay !

hope this helps - ooo - BTW i really did not like your original choice for a ring - but it all depends on what your both into and your tastes !

x

Yep so true it is a tradition. Hey man, atleast her father is paying for the wedding right? Her family will be bringing all those wedding shower gifts to help the two of you start off with everything you need right?

I mean we are following tradition....

I ain't got no problem with you ring bud. Your girl may think she is graduating high school though when you put it on her. You may even want to spin it a few times for good luck.....

Thomas

i have to agree if its about tradition ! does she have a dowery ?

you should shop around pawn shops and second hand jewellers- now youve got to think how many engagements go wrong - where do you think the rings end up - my first engagement ring was bought for 1k and i pawned it for 200 and it was resold for 400 - so whoever got that got a good deal - also try ebay !

hope this helps - ooo - BTW i really did not like your original choice for a ring - but it all depends on what your both into and your tastes !

x

Absolutely no way, a second hand engagement ring?! That I would never ever accept. EVER.

Absolutely no way, a second hand engagement ring?! That I would never ever accept. EVER.

Oh heck no!

An ex and I got into this big 'ole fight over an engagement ring. He was divorced, and got the ring back from his ex after their split because it was a family heirloom. He somehow mentioned how he was looking forward to putting it back on my finger someday. I was pretty quick to tell him that regardless of the fact the ring was passed down in the family, I would not accept a ring that had been offered to another girl, let alone worn by his ex WIFE for 5 years. He didn't really "get" that concept...

Oh heck no!

An ex and I got into this big 'ole fight over an engagement ring. He was divorced, and got the ring back from his ex after their split because it was a family heirloom. He somehow mentioned how he was looking forward to putting it back on my finger someday. I was pretty quick to tell him that regardless of the fact the ring was passed down in the family, I would not accept a ring that had been offered to another girl, let alone worn by his ex WIFE for 5 years. He didn't really "get" that concept...

I agree. No way will MY engagement ring be a ring that was used to propose to someone else in the past, no way in hell. Why would I want an engagement ring from someone failed engagement or marriage.

That would kill all romantic significance for me, plus I'd be slightly superstitious.

I agree. No way will MY engagement ring be a ring that was used to propose to someone else in the past, no way in hell. Why would I want an engagement ring from someone failed engagement or marriage.

That would kill all romantic significance for me, plus I'd be slightly superstitious.

What if it was that nugget that Donald Trump bought for Marla Maples? Would that sway any superstitions?

New couples today would be much better off taking the $5,000 for the ring and using it to help towards a down payment on a house, but that's me.

My opinion about that ring you orginally showed is that its nice, but I don't think its good for an engagement ring. I think you can find something prettier without going all crazy with the price. Maybe just up your budget a few hundred and you would be surprised at how many more options you are gonna have.

I agree with the others that it is tacky to use a ring that you bought for one woman, on another. But, if its a ring you find at a pawn shop and it just grabs your attention, then whats the big deal if someone else owned it before and it didn't work out?

As someone who has her mothers and great aunts engagement rings, I would have to say that even though they are "used", I would feel flattered wearing them as my own engagement ring. They are symbolic and priceless to me....and were not overly expensive.

To me, the amount of the ring isn't as important as the meaning behind it and the thought that is behind them.

But, I still think you can do better then what you picked out.