LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree290Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2014, 6:43 AM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
You mean you have still not discussed the job requirements in full? Seriously Leigh you need to have that conversation as an absolute priority. You are going to be living in their house and you must all be absolutely clear on what falls within your duties. It's not like other jobs where you actually get away from the workplace at the end of the day. I am afraid to say that I am still skeptical about the amount you are being paid plus accommodation etc for the small amount of work you describe. It does not stack up.

I have read the complete job description.

And they cover my rent plus 150 to 180 per week, that is not that much money and doesn't really amount to even a minimum wage full time job, which is 20 dollars per hour here.

Child care is very pricey here! They are saving crap loads of money having me live with them! They may be paying for my rent/living expenses plus giving me the 150 - 180 every week, but that is NOT a full time salary in Australia and yet I will be working weekdays.

I am not doing little work for what I get paid...

I get up at 8, drop the kids off at school/preschool, have 9.30 when I arrive home until 2.30 when I leave to pick kids up again to .. study and work my patisserie job.

I have from 7 in the evening off and in between then I just need to supervise the kids and help with dinner, she was very specific in that she wanted an extra HAND, not a total helper to do it FOR her.

I will be working for every penny, I am not getting a free ride. I just enjoy the work as I have experience in it and it is not.... a chore for me to do, it is the most ideal job I can think of doing until I graduate and get the degree that will enable me to get jobs other than this current position...
Old 24th May 2014, 6:53 AM   #17
Established Member

I didn't say you were getting a free ride Leigh

However the way you detail your day, I am still unclear how many hours a day you are expected to be looking after/supervising the children. You do need to clarify what happens when the schools are closed for holidays. There will be no school runs but the children will be at home all day. I can't believe they won't expect you to work then.

Edit: when calculating your pay, you should also consider the cost of accommodation and living expenses. That means you are earning a whole lot more than the cash amount received.

- Richard Dawkins
Old 24th May 2014, 6:55 AM   #18
Established Member

The additional 200 per week is a government incentive where all students who are not skilled, get welfare assistance to the value of 200 dollars per week, to assist them, since we are mostly unskilled and cannot earn much money without qualifications.

This nanny gig even with my living expenses is still WELL UNDER the Aussie minimum wage! I will never be able to ... save for a mortgage, afford health insurance which I am not getting through my current work, or save for any sort of a future with this current job.

With no skills there is no future. Besides poverty. I think it is great that our government gives people help if they are actively showing it is only TEMPORARY help, while THEY strive to better themselves and put themselves in a position where they do not NEED tax payer money. If you are unemployed and NOT studying towards getting employed work? Our government gives you zero welfare for 6 months, so no food in your belly unless you sign up for full time study,

So that is where the 200 comes from, plus the 150 to 180 this family pay me per week.

That is just what Australia stands for. Students with out the skills needed to gain the employment that will sufficiently support them, get help. But only IF we are legitimately working towards gaining better employment prospects.

I know you don't like students getting and outs, but plenty of people think it is fair. Since we lack the skills. If I get kicked out of this job which I am sure I will excel in, I would have nothing if it wasn't for government help. Students don't tend to have very good jobs or any security here. No savings left over for a rainy day, should they get fired.
Old 24th May 2014, 7:01 AM   #19
Established Member

You are accusing me of things I have not said. Not impressed at all. All I am trying to is help you not be taken advantage of yet you have started to attack me re the government funding you get which has not even been mentioned in this thread (or ever by me).

Old 24th May 2014, 7:16 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
I didn't say you were getting a free ride Leigh

However the way you detail your day, I am still unclear how many hours a day you are expected to be looking after/supervising the children. You do need to clarify what happens when the schools are closed for holidays. There will be no school runs but the children will be at home all day. I can't believe they won't expect you to work then.

Edit: when calculating your pay, you should also consider the cost of accommodation and living expenses. That means you are earning a whole lot more than the cash amount received.

Oh okay, misunderstanding then lolz.

I am probably on the equivalent to Aussie minimum wage which is nearly 32K per year: when you count my living expenses that are being funded by the family that live in a nice house in a nice district, the 150 - 180 per week AND the 200 weekly student allowance. PLUS the new job I am about to do a couple of days a week at a patisserie during the day PLUS once every month event work on the weekend evenings.

It is common for minimum wage earners in the US to need to rely on somewhat on welfare so I am no different. I have no skills really but skills that are needed to study towards a better future.

Well I thought it was a good deal. For ME. Obviously I am good with kids and I genuinely thrive off that type of role. Or else I would go nuts working those hours in a job I detested....I like being able to live in Sydney at last on my own accord without parental help. It means a lot to me, since it is one of the worlds most expensive cities to reside in and frankly, when I work full time I will be struggling to take out a mortgage in Sydney. If it works out between my bf and I we are looking to buy over one hour away from Sydney and make the commute via train daily like thousands of other business people...

I really like Sydney as I was born there and my mums family always lived in the "nice" areas and I always wished I had the finances to live there, so as a student I am especially grateful and excited about having a chance to live in a phenomenally costly city.

I am also 2 hours close to my long distance boyfriend

So you make a good point when you consider that they are paying for me to also have a nice lifestyle. Which in turn, lifts your mood and makes the overall quality of life better than if you lived in a dump that was rat infested....
Old 24th May 2014, 7:19 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
You are accusing me of things I have not said. Not impressed at all. All I am trying to is help you not be taken advantage of yet you have started to attack me re the government funding you get which has not even been mentioned in this thread (or ever by me).

sorry

I never thought you were alluding to me ripping off the system or getting a free ride! I actually appreciate your comments and think it is sweet of you to be looking out for my best interest

I am just .. so used to being attacked by Americans on here for accepting Welfare when I wouldn't starve without it. I was trying to get more people up to speed on how Australia works, people at this stage typically come in and say " Leigh 87 why are you accepting more money when you don't "need it" to live?"

I was trying to just outline that the 200 a week is for people on minimum age or bellow minimum wage.

Without the assistance, I would be well bellow minimum wage. The assistance JUST puts me on the line of the Aussie minimum wage.
Old 24th May 2014, 7:22 AM   #22
Established Member

I am definitely not American

We're good Leigh
Old 24th May 2014, 7:49 AM   #23
Established Member

Your schedule is doable, but you will have no social life.

Your life will consist of work, school, and sleep and it won't be fun. You will begin to feel like a work/study robot because that's all you'll do.

I didn't go out much in college because I worked all the time. And when I wasn't working, I was in class or preparing for class or doing an internship. I didn't get to do fun stuff like travel because I had to work to support myself--sometimes more than one job.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad, but I'm someone who likes being busy. You'll appreciate breaks from school, a lot.

The good thing is, school only lasts a few years. See what you can handle. You might have to give up volunteering or the second job. I had friends in college who worked nanny jobs and they always had a lot time to do their schoolwork during the day.
Old 24th May 2014, 7:57 AM   #24
Established Member

The entire last year I spent working 9:00-18:00, then 18:15-21:00 I had classes. Then I got home at 22:00 I still had to prepare my dinner, take my shower, and study until 0:00 or so.

I will not lie. It was a very hard year. But some things thar really helped me were:
- I had a very detailed timetable. Very boring, but effective. For instance, I knew that I would wake up at 7:00, eat breakfast and take a shower, get ready, prepare my tupperware for the day, and leave home at 8. Then I was at work and school, and then I got back home at 22:00. At home, I knew that I had to cook food in the oven while I was taking a shower, and then study for at least one hour.
- The shower was the key in taking the tiredness away. I think if I did yoga back then, it would realy help ith my energy levels.
- I could only shop for groceries in the weekends. So I had to have a plan about what I was going to eat that week and then buy the items.
- I found out that white carbs, caffeine and sugar are awful when you need energy. Awful, awful, awful. Choose whole grains, protein, fruit. And some green tea, if you need a boost. Coffee makes me vey nervous, so I avoid it.
- Be careful of your health and take care of Leigh. If you see any physical symptoms, slow down. I remember I started having eyelid myokymia daily, for half a day. It was nothing serious, but really annoying, and a sign that I was overworking.
- Go out and have fun in every possible chance. It helped me very much to relax a little bit, especially on weekends.
jonsnuh likes this.
Old 24th May 2014, 8:05 AM   #25
Established Member

anne1707 - fantastic! It seems everyone here is American... They go as far as to type in " northeast Ohio" in their "location", as if they expect everyone to be from America? When it is an international forum?

I feel so sorry for students in the USA, they graduate and then they have HORRIFIC loans to pay back, and unless they pay them back immediately they ruin their credit. New graduates there never go overseas for many years after they graduate cos they are CRIPPLED in student dept. Where as my degree is only 14 K, we do not have to pay it back right away or unless we earn over 50K, and SO MANY students travel overseas because our government helps us out.

I would be very depressed graduating and then knowing that I still had no overseas holidays or fun things to look forward to for MANY years to come!

There is an epidemic of students over there having to live at home because frankly, it is way too hard to make ends meat over there in the USA for new graduates. How are they supposed to pay back thousands a month of student loans, pay rent (they would just not be able to save anything for a mortgage unless they lived with parents..)

Iris - I am 27 and I have gotten my partying days out of my system and don't miss them. I am totally averse to most alcohol and can only drink wine, beer or cider. I literally HATE all other forms of alcohol My boyfriend is in the same life stage as me, so I will get weekends off to stay with him, especially now that he lives closer to me....He works in Sydney 3 days a week so our plan is to meet once per week for lunch, and then I will stay with him most weekends at his place....

As the other poster said, I tend to do better when I have more to do as it makes me far more time efficient and I FEEL so much better about myself when I work/work I study full time.

I will stick to ONE hour a week volunteering and I will do my diploma on university breaks, and a non demanding degree all year around.

I mean that doesn't sound all that hectic right?

And surely I will grow as a person in doing this compared to lazing about at home, not working and just merely studying a few hours a day.
Old 24th May 2014, 8:13 AM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regine_phalange View Post
The entire last year I spent working 9:00-18:00, then 18:15-21:00 I had classes. Then I got home at 22:00 I still had to prepare my dinner, take my shower, and study until 0:00 or so.

I will not lie. It was a very hard year. But some things thar really helped me were:
- I had a very detailed timetable. Very boring, but effective. For instance, I knew that I would wake up at 7:00, eat breakfast and take a shower, get ready, prepare my tupperware for the day, and leave home at 8. Then I was at work and school, and then I got back home at 22:00. At home, I knew that I had to cook food in the oven while I was taking a shower, and then study for at least one hour.
- The shower was the key in taking the tiredness away. I think if I did yoga back then, it would realy help ith my energy levels.
- I could only shop for groceries in the weekends. So I had to have a plan about what I was going to eat that week and then buy the items.
- I found out that white carbs, caffeine and sugar are awful when you need energy. Awful, awful, awful. Choose whole grains, protein, fruit. And some green tea, if you need a boost. Coffee makes me vey nervous, so I avoid it.
- Be careful of your health and take care of Leigh. If you see any physical symptoms, slow down. I remember I started having eyelid myokymia daily, for half a day. It was nothing serious, but really annoying, and a sign that I was overworking.
- Go out and have fun in every possible chance. It helped me very much to relax a little bit, especially on weekends.

Yikes....

I will be a tad less busy! I will have a few hours a day in which to study!

My degree is not too demanding and doesn't suck the life out of you although I want to get at least credits so I can go on to do my masters.

umm, I have quit energy drinks and I love healthy food, I have just been unhealthy the past two years or so. I once over exercised and avoided all sugar and chemicals added to food, I was anal, so ever since then I forgot about food and eat junk pretty much but I am tired all the time and feel fat and sluggish. I know I enjoy healthy food and feel more fulfilled and I have far more energy eating purely whole grains veggies, lean proteins and occasional cheese/dairy.

I think I spent a couple of years getting away from my health food addiction of the past that left me miserable and I am now dying to just be healthier for my own sanity. I hate not feeling well.

It is only for 2.5 years until I get a degree. If I cannot get a corporate job then I will stay on as a nanny until they don't need me no more and get my masters.

I am very lucky to have a chance to look after myself, I feel really privileged since many people with degrees cannot feed themselves and yet here I am with no skills besides being good with kids, being able to live in a very expensive city that I love, studying towards a degree that wont cripple me with debt.....

I think I am very lucky to be living in Australia and being able to earn a living albeit with government help.
Old 24th May 2014, 8:27 AM   #27
Established Member

I'd love to live in Australia (my grandparents almost moved there when young, but didn't manage in the end). And yes you are lucky to live there! I don't think getting goverment help is bad, you are or will be paying taxes in the future, so you don't owe any explanation to anybody. If your country is able to provide you that, then it means it can. Don't feel guilty.
Leigh 87 likes this.
Old 24th May 2014, 10:39 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Sigh, people seem to think you can just go in and make a decent living without a degree.

I basically picked what I was passionate about and took the path I needed that is the MOST likely path to result in employment in that field.

I am not sure why people assume there is any other way to achieving your dreams other than hard work and luck/opportunity?
Up until this post, people had given you advice on caffeine, energy drinks, and time management! You really need to get a handle on your defensiveness; it's unattractive.

And, we here in the states don't need your pity. I have no idea where you get the information you cite. Stick to fretting about your time, patting yourself on the back and counting your blessings, FFS.
clia likes this.
Old 24th May 2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
Up until this post, people had given you advice on caffeine, energy drinks, and time management! You really need to get a handle on your defensiveness; it's unattractive.

And, we here in the states don't need your pity. I have no idea where you get the information you cite. Stick to fretting about your time, patting yourself on the back and counting your blessings, FFS.

I do pity students over there.

I pat myself on the back because I was a high school drop out and yet I went back to school as a mature adult and did really well and got accepted into prestigious degrees like law/sciences degrees yet chose to follow my passion despite the much lower.... salary outcome. I think any high school drop out like myself who was utterly miserable should feel proud of themselves for turning their lives around.

The reason I hate the US system so much is because it is not worth going to college in the USA unless you do a degree that amounts to a high salary. The student debt is astonishingly high! Without a well paid job soon after graduating you are SCREWED, sorry.

As a social work masters students in two years time, the student loan debt in the USA wouldn't warrant the salary for a social worker. You will be as worse off being a waitress your entire life, SANS student loan debt... Because the debt is smaller and easier to pay off here in AUS, you can graduate, normally get a job in your field unless you pick a useless degree, and then look forward to saving for things in the near future.

I have been told by Americans that a 40K student debt in a social science degree will get you a job totally unrelated to your major that you don't get paid enough to live on unless you have a room mate/room mates. And forget about ever travelling overseas. When travelling, I only EVER saw Americans that had prestigious jobs. I NEVER once met an American that was a nurse, social worker... oh I met ONE teacher who travelled a lot but she gets a higher salary as she worked in private schools and was childless and got help....

Where as broke Aussie students travel cos they work during college, live at home and save like crazy! SO MANY young aussies travel compared to young Americans because so many of them are stuck in student debt that they just cannot even THINK about travel, not even for years after they graduate!

I am well travelled and I have had Americans tell me this first hand!

My mate got a social science degree and is about to land a 40K job and save to travel overseas. And she didn't have to do hard math or anything remotely difficult during her degree??? Yet she gets to save for overseas travel? This is typical of our fantastic quality of life in Aussie land.

I just feel like in America you have to work a lot harder for a lot less fun.
Old 24th May 2014, 11:47 AM   #30
Established Member

I am so thrilled about getting full time work after 4 years of looking, as a currently, UNSKILLED worker.

I think the fact I wanted this so badly and it took to long for me to get to this stage, will be a much stronger determinant of success than any energy drink, which I have not touched since that last post and I have decided to definitely quit.

Opting to stop using my parents at all, financially speaking, is something that makes me feel a lot better about myself and I have desperately wanted for years. I am a lot more confident since opting to seek and then SECURE full time work as a full time student.

I guess you could say that I feel more capable taking this all on, I feel if the drive is there I can do it, however; I needed to be reminded to get healthier, I am lucky I am not gigantic given how unhealthy I am.

In very early 2013 I got huge boils on my leg and was told it could be cancer. Turns out, I was just so unhealthy I had like, NO vitamins or minerals coming in And THE PILL also depletes b vitamins so yeah, I was a wreck physically.....

I am SO determined to also take better care of myself. I have started taking multi vitamins daily and I am religious about it, I don't eat much salad or vegetables which I know I have to change. I will just be eating whatever the family eats. I like anything really so I will likely be eating meat and 3 veg types meals, sausages, home made pizza bases....which is healthier than I have been of late.

I just eat way too much past the point where I am full and I don't realise I am eating. This affects my study/work performance because I feel stuffed.