LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2012, 1:47 PM   #61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Again you don't understand. Right now even though I;m home and have been home since January, it's not a DAMM VACATION because I constantly think each day..."I need to be working before Jan of 2013"

If I have a hire letter the week of sept 24th telling me to report to work on October 1st, I will be mentally free of thinking about...."when am I going to get a job". It will be a MENTAL VACATION from stressing about finding a job which is the difference between being home with no job offers and being home with a job offer.
That sounds like a big pile of horse excrement to me. I've been unemployed, heck I'm technically unemployed NOW, and it's EXACTLY like a vacation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
You know now that I think about it, since 1999 every time I started a new job it was right away. I never had a chance to chill a little bit and prepare myself mentally for a new transition so I don't even know what it feels like to have a week to myself before I started a new job.

Maybe one day that will happen.
I've asked for time off when I was being poached from one job by a new employer, but that was negotiating from a position of strength AND I was coming in from a stressful job to a new, stressful job. In one case I had already planned a 4 week vacation in Africa and in another the reason I was leaving was because they were discouraging me from using much of my 8 weeks accrued vacation time.
123321 is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 1:57 PM   #62
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123321 View Post
That sounds like a big pile of horse excrement to me. I've been unemployed, heck I'm technically unemployed NOW, and it's EXACTLY like a vacation.




I've asked for time off when I was being poached from one job by a new employer, but that was negotiating from a position of strength AND I was coming in from a stressful job to a new, stressful job. In one case I had already planned a 4 week vacation in Africa and in another the reason I was leaving was because they were discouraging me from using much of my 8 weeks accrued vacation time.


To me vacation means

1. Going shopping
2. Traveling
3. No stress
4. Fun and excitement


Not

1. seeking jobs online
2. going on interviews
3. trying to manage a small a$$ UC check
4. desperately seeking a job to apply to each day



So we obvously have different defintions of vacations
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 2:03 PM   #63
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
1. seeking jobs online
2. going on interviews
3. trying to manage a small a$$ UC check
4. desperately seeking a job to apply to each day
That just doesn't look like 10 hours of daily "work" to me, it looks like 90 minutes (tops) of web searching, a few emails, and the biggest part of the day free to go for a walk, bike ride, play a computer game, or other low cost leisure activity.

#3 in particular has me in stitches. How many hours does that take and how specifically are they spent? For me, saving money consists of mostly *not* doing things, and doesn't take up much actual time at all. But then you figured a haircut wold take all day so maybe we operate at different speeds.
123321 is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 2:21 PM   #64
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
I get you, PhillyDude. It's nice to have some time to prepare. I got my friend a job at my work and she quit her previous job to work at this current job. This required her to transition from working late nights to early mornings, so the week transition period was necessary to be able to perform the work at her best potential. However, you've made it clear UC isn't much...all the more reason to suck it up and start when they want you to. Yes, it sucks UC will be delayed for that week that you worked, but at least you will have a job moving forward. You've been unemployed 9 months...unless you have valid reasoning for other obligations, be willing to start when they ask you to. From experience, most often they will pick a date that works best for them, not the next day. Often it's the beginning of a pay period, the 1st of the month or the beginning of a workweek or whenever they can provide training for you. Usually they'll give you a few days heads up, which should be plenty for you.

Last edited by pink_sugar; 13th September 2012 at 2:23 PM..
pink_sugar is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 2:25 PM   #65
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123321 View Post
That just doesn't look like 10 hours of daily "work" to me, it looks like 90 minutes (tops) of web searching, a few emails, and the biggest part of the day free to go for a walk, bike ride, play a computer game, or other low cost leisure activity.

#3 in particular has me in stitches. How many hours does that take and how specifically are they spent? For me, saving money consists of mostly *not* doing things, and doesn't take up much actual time at all. But then you figured a haircut wold take all day so maybe we operate at different speeds.
Right now I;m sitting here with a calculator and a glass of juice trying to figure out what bills to pay because the money that I received is so small. And yes I have leisure time after my 10am to 6pm day of job hunt related activities ends
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 2:25 PM   #66
Established Member
 
Art_Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
To me vacation means

1. Going shopping
2. Traveling
3. No stress
4. Fun and excitement


Not

1. seeking jobs online
2. going on interviews
3. trying to manage a small a$$ UC check
4. desperately seeking a job to apply to each day



So we obvously have different defintions of vacations
Vacations are some of the most stressful times..
I always feel like I need a vacation after going on vacation...

Lunch breaks are for shopping.. that and after work...

I have fun and excitement each and every day.. and I go to work everyday.

I de-stress on the WEEKENDS....

I think you are under thinking things...
You need a freaking job not a vacation.
__________________
~~ One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.. ~~
Art_Critic is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 2:28 PM   #67
Established Member
 
Art_Critic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
Right now I;m sitting here with a calculator and a glass of juice trying to figure out what bills to pay because the money that I received is so small. And yes I have leisure time after my 10am to 6pm day of job hunt related activities ends
Something tells me you will need to make that last check go pretty far...

How did the interview go ?
Art_Critic is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 3:03 PM   #68
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Posts: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
Something tells me you will need to make that last check go pretty far...
No kidding.

I used to own a nice business. We interviewed and hired people. I am quite sure that this lazy, entitled and sour attitude would come through in an interview and you, OP, would not have ever been offered a job in our business.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you might want to take a look at it.

I noticed all of your negativity in your other thread about how "rude" it was for the person who had extended themselves to help you find a job not to contact you as you would have liked, as well.

If you end up in a place where you would be filled with gratitude to be offered a job, and enthusiasm to do your best at it, it would show.

Why do you have to travel all day to get to a hairdresser, anyway?
123321 likes this.
Mme. Chaucer is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 3:09 PM   #69
Established Member
 
amaysngrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 23,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post

Why do you have to travel all day to get to a hairdresser, anyway?
Not only that but shouldn't have his haircut BEFORE the interview?
__________________
just dance
amaysngrace is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 3:54 PM   #70
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic View Post
Something tells me you will need to make that last check go pretty far...

How did the interview go ?

The interview is next wednesday which is why I refuse to take it seriously. I called on Monday morning to schedule the interview when I missed the guy on friday and when he called me back on Monday afternoon he said he is booked up the rest of the week and can interview me next wednesday

So they may find their person way before i come in so I will call next week on Tuesday to make sure they are still looking. No point in just showing up and get there to find out he forgot I was on the schedule and the position is filled
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 3:56 PM   #71
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
No kidding.

I used to own a nice business. We interviewed and hired people. I am quite sure that this lazy, entitled and sour attitude would come through in an interview and you, OP, would not have ever been offered a job in our business.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you might want to take a look at it.

I noticed all of your negativity in your other thread about how "rude" it was for the person who had extended themselves to help you find a job not to contact you as you would have liked, as well.

If you end up in a place where you would be filled with gratitude to be offered a job, and enthusiasm to do your best at it, it would show.

Why do you have to travel all day to get to a hairdresser, anyway?


That person I;m talking about still has not contacted me after I sent a email last Friday asking her to call me because I have a question. So I don't know what to think now, why the hell is she telling my cousin...."i won't stop until I find him a job" and then not responding to my emails.???

Makes no damm sense
PhillyDude is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 7:08 PM   #72
Established Member
 
SoleMate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 4,696
Quote:
[It was a problem when] I started in the middle of a pay period...[since it] meant that when I received my first check it was only a half of check....
Seriously? You feel you're better off starting on Day 15, and getting a full semimonthly check on Day 30, then you would be if you started on Day 7 and got a 1 week check on Day 15 and then the semimonthly check on Day 30? (Or whatever the detail is for payroll laws in your state.) You don't see that in the first case, the potential pay from Day 7 to Day 15 can never be recouped?
__________________
Heavily medicated for your safety.
SoleMate is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 7:26 PM   #73
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
To me vacation means

1. Going shopping
2. Traveling
3. No stress
4. Fun and excitement
...all things that you either (a) do after you have earned it by working hard for a time, or (b) do with a positive attitude whenever the opportunity presents itself no matter what your situation, if you have the right outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
3. trying to manage a small a$$ UC check
Incidentally, if the UC check is so small, why are you willing to give up a whole week of earning power in a prospective new job, just to get an extra week (or two?) of UC benefits? At the end of the month, when you add it all up, won't you be better off financially starting the "real" job as soon as possible?

And if your financial situation is really causing you that much stress - if you are actually at the point of deciding which bills to pay and which to put off until later - then it sounds like taking an unpaid week or two off for a "no stress, fun and excitement vacation" isn't really going to work out so well, if those bills are sitting unpaid over your head the whole time, waiting for you to start earning a real salary so you can pay them.

I don't know - I think it's clear that if you are truly desperate for a job, then the answer to "when can you start" is "as soon as you need me, I can be here." And even though I don't share your attitude, if it really works out well, mentally, financially, etc. for you to take a week or more off before you start, then I hope that goes your way as well. Best of luck.
__________________
All that is now, All that is gone, All that's to come,
and everything under the sun is in tune...
Trimmer is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 7:34 PM   #74
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleMate View Post
Seriously? You feel you're better off starting on Day 15, and getting a full semimonthly check on Day 30, then you would be if you started on Day 7 and got a 1 week check on Day 15 and then the semimonthly check on Day 30? (Or whatever the detail is for payroll laws in your state.) You don't see that in the first case, the potential pay from Day 7 to Day 15 can never be recouped?
Yeah, that's my thing - work the math. In the long run, if the UC benefit is so small, then even if one can manage to squeeze an "extra" 2-week UC payment by delaying the start date (which just feels wrong to me anyway, but that's another discussion...), it's hard to imagine that once you count in the lost time of "real" earnings due to that delayed start, that you end up in any better financial situation.
123321 likes this.
Trimmer is offline  
Old 13th September 2012, 9:49 PM   #75
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,613
Had a phone interview tonight for this job and she was going to scheduled the face to face interview for Monday but I couldn't go because the position requires you to have a car.

Oh well, on to the next
PhillyDude is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Female asked to go for job interview at random males home address? melissa123 Business and Professional Relationships 5 2nd December 2011 7:19 AM
I don't get asked out in person... V.Vixen Dating 25 21st August 2009 9:48 AM
How to start becoming a new person rdsmm Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 5 28th August 2005 10:40 AM
how long should a person wait until they start dating? frogprinz29 General Relationship Discussion 5 10th August 2004 10:09 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:45 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.