LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

As a unemployed person, when asked on a interview when can you start

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree160Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2012, 11:03 PM   #31

Say "As soon as possible!"
Old 12th September 2012, 11:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straightener View Post
Say "As soon as possible!"

My brother was lucky when he started his job, the start date was 3 weeks after the offer. I need something like that
Old 13th September 2012, 12:41 AM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDude View Post
It's retarded to have someone start a new job in 2 business days but if there are no other options you may not have a choice
It is NOT retarted to have someone start in two days if they have been interviewing and looking for someone for a long time...

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. And that first impression could be your willingness to do whatever is necessary for the new job.

Would you call that retarded?
Old 13th September 2012, 12:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFONYX77 View Post
I don't get it. You said you've been unemployed since January which is 9 months. Why do you need a week to "relax and not stress"? Most people would be so relieved of stress at landing a job after 9 months they'd be ready to start working with a day's notice. Anyway you haven't even been for the interview yet and that's only the first step of possibly many to actually getting a job offer. Hope you do well in the interview but don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even hit first base.
Are you telling me that you don't know it's a difference between being at home for 9 months without a offer versus being home a week knowing you start work soon?

Of course if I was home a week with a hire letter would be different because I'm set to start work shortly

If I'm home and have no interviews or no offers then it's depressing

Do you understand the difference now?
Old 13th September 2012, 1:03 AM   #35

"Immediately"
Old 13th September 2012, 1:37 AM   #36

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
If you do get offered a job, and they ask you to start immediately - I'm pretty sure your attitude about them being "retarded" will shine right through and you won't last very long.

It really sounds like you have a crap attitude about going to work.
123321 likes this.
Old 13th September 2012, 1:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme. Chaucer View Post
If you do get offered a job, and they ask you to start immediately - I'm pretty sure your attitude about them being "retarded" will shine right through and you won't last very long.

It really sounds like you have a crap attitude about going to work.

I;m in a situation right now where I only have 1 pair of pants to wear if I was hired because all the other dress pants I had are too big now. So it would be nice if I was offered a job and told i could start in a week or two so I can go shopping and add to my work wardrobe
Old 13th September 2012, 1:52 AM   #38

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
Quote:
I;m in a situation right now where I only have 1 pair of pants to wear if I was hired because all the other dress pants I had are too big now. So it would be nice if I was offered a job and told i could start in a week or two so I can go shopping and add to my work wardrobe
It takes A WEEK OR TWO for you to shop for clothes?!?!

How about an hour or two?

You're joking, right ...
Old 13th September 2012, 2:04 AM   #39

Quote:
It takes A WEEK OR TWO for you to shop for clothes?!?!

How about an hour or two?

You're joking, right ...

No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday
Old 13th September 2012, 2:06 AM   #40
Established Member

I would definitely recommend taking the job as soon as they offer it. If they say "we'll start in one week". I would ask if there was anything I could to in the interim like shadow someone.

With this economy you don't want to say "in two weeks"...what if those two weeks go by and the boss says "hey we are actually doing okay with John Doe here, maybe we don't need that position after all!" It's why people are reluctant to take vacations at work these days. People don't want to risk looking obsolete. "Hey Jane's been gone 2 weeks and we were easily able to pick up the slack....next downsize we know what job to eliminate. "

Not sure what the job is, but most companies it will just be HR classes and stuff the first week anyway. But you can shop on-line right now and have the clothes picked out that way you can buy them right away. No lag time. Just my two cents.
Old 13th September 2012, 2:07 AM   #41

Quote:
No the shopping would be 1 day, the doctor would be 1 day, laundry would be 1 day, haircut would be 1 day,

So I guess about 4 days would be enough before i start. So if I was offered a job on a wednesday, I could do all of that from Thurs to Sunday
It takes you ONE DAY to have a haircut?

I KNOW you're joking now.

By the way, working people manage to do all of those things AT THE SAME TIME as holding down a full time job! Yes! It's true!

I hope you get a job offer and you don't blow it completely. Good luck.
Old 13th September 2012, 2:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
I would definitely recommend taking the job as soon as they offer it. If they say "we'll start in one week". I would ask if there was anything I could to in the interim like shadow someone.

With this economy you don't want to say "in two weeks"...what if those two weeks go by and the boss says "hey we are actually doing okay with John Doe here, maybe we don't need that position after all!" It's why people are reluctant to take vacations at work these days. People don't want to risk looking obsolete. "Hey Jane's been gone 2 weeks and we were easily able to pick up the slack....next downsize we know what job to eliminate. "

Not sure what the job is, but most companies it will just be HR classes and stuff the first week anyway. But you can shop on-line right now and have the clothes picked out that way you can buy them right away. No lag time. Just my two cents.

I would like a week, not 2 weeks. One week would be fine
Old 13th September 2012, 2:11 AM   #43

Quote:
It takes you ONE DAY to have a haircut?

I KNOW you're joking now.

By the way, working people manage to do all of those things AT THE SAME TIME as holding down a full time job! Yes! It's true!

I hope you get a job offer and you don't blow it completely. Good luck.

The haircut involves me traveling across the city so that would be a 1 day event
Old 13th September 2012, 2:12 AM   #44
Established Member

Quote:
I would like a week, not 2 weeks. One week would be fine
Yeah, kind of depends on the industry. Hard to say for sure. I would leave it up to them though. If they ask I would say "as soon as you would like me" and leave it to fate. Just my opinion. Lots of variables based on industry to consider. I think if you ready to go at their discretion you can't really lose.
Old 13th September 2012, 2:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Yeah, kind of depends on the industry. Hard to say for sure. I would leave it up to them though. If they ask I would say "as soon as you would like me" and leave it to fate. Just my opinion. Lots of variables based on industry to consider. I think if you ready to go at their discretion you can't really lose.
I remember 2 years ago I was offered the job on the Thursday before Memorial Day and she asked when can i start and i was like....."well since Monday is a holiday I can"

And before I could finish the sentence she interrupted me and said..."you can start tuesday" I was so pissed because that was too damm fast for me to be starting a new job