My Dad - cancer

blind_otter

• Author
blind_otter

Why is everyone who knows me still surprised that I am upset and stressed out about my Dad, and now my mother, even though I hate her on some level, the guilt is worse....why do they seem surprised that I am still upset about it? I accept it. I can't change it. Nothing I can do about it. But just because I can function and be relatively normal, when I do mention it they act like it's so weird that I am marinating on this still.

Or that they are surprised that I, of all people, am so upset about this.

Ultimately I know no one understands anyone else. SO I keep saying it's no big deal. Just shut up about it. And for the most part I can shut up about it. Insensitive cancer joke from smoking friend? Ok whatever. No big deal. But God forbid I actually say something about it, or I'm being an oversensitive whiney baby.

I just don't want to deal with anything any more.

• Author
blind_otter
hmm...no I did not know that. Do they make the sound only when out of water or in the water also? Catfish is some good eatin' :)

Oh I forgot to answer this. I don't know about sounds underwater, but out of the water they bray like donkies.

kaneplacegirl

I am so sorry! I just lost my 71 year old Dad from Cancer in August! I hope your Dad will be fine. Please feel free to chat with me anytime

God forbid I actually say something about it, or I'm being an oversensitive whiney baby.

someone actually told you this?!!

look, otter, while it's true that none of us can understand what you feel or why, that's no reason for anyone to say that you're not supposed to be feeling as you do. Whether it's copious crying jags, pretending it's not happening, snapping at people, sucking at ass-tasting cigarettes or whatever. It's YOUR response, not theirs. Period. Until someone has walked in your shoes at this specific point in time, they need to keep their yaps shut. Period.

in the meantime, here's a *hug* ...

Oh I forgot to answer this. I don't know about sounds underwater, but out of the water they bray like donkies.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

can you imagine KISSING someone who had a mouth like a catfish?

• Author
blind_otter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have. :sick:

It's a certain person in my life who basically looks at me blankly when I talk about my Dad and then goes on to say "Well, I have this problem and blah blah blah" I totally understand that life goes on but I really can't be very supportive of someone's toenail fungus issues right now. I find it hard to care about toe nail fungus even in like, the best of times. So now, I care even less. If that's possible.

Whatever. At least I have LS. Sad sad.

hmm...maybe I'll make Catfish Croquettes for dinner tonite. Here's the recepie;

Ingredients:2 c. cooked, flaked, catfish filets

3/4 t. salt

1/2 t. celery salt

1/4 t. pepper

1 c. dry breadcrumbs

I T. grated onion

3 T. chopped parsley

1 can Cheddar cheese soup

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 T. water

Oil for frying

1/4 c. milk

1/2 t. basil

Paprika

Procedure:Combine catfish, salt, celery salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, 1/2 c. soup, eggs and water. Mix well. Divide into 12 portions. Shape into cakes or logs. Fry in 1/8" oil at moderate heat for 4-5 minutes or until brown. Turn carefully and fly for 4-5 minutes longer or until brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Combine remaining soup with milk and basil. Heat and serve over croquettes. Garnish with paprika.

• Author
blind_otter
Hey everybody! Dinner at alpha's tonight! Woo Hoo!!

all the ladies bring a pad. :lmao:

whichwayisup
all the ladies bring a pad. :lmao:

Hose, pad, whatever. I'm there, will bells on! I'll even wear my Leaf shirt! :laugh:

soup? Sounds interesting ... this I've gotta try, thanks, Alpha!

I think Fung-Toe isn't comfortable with discussing cancer and its outcome, so steers the conversation in a whole 'nother direction. Next time he/she does that, kept repeating "Vicks VapoRub." You know – the Mexican cure-all?

fish-kissing: DH makes a great catfish face, bottom lip sticking out and eyes bugging and all, sometimes I'll even get a fish kiss. But by that time I'm usually laughing so hard at him ...

I am really sorry that your daddy is sick! My daddy had stomach cancer and they mest up on his biopsy as well, they had to remove his whole stomch to make sure that all the cancer was out, he was only sick for a year and then found out he had the cancer, the doctors gave us the run around but to make the long story short, It was not even the cancer that killed him, It was the after care and neglagence from the doctors, My daddy went through hell and it suck that I had to see the whole thing. I mean Let me just tell you that you are lucky to still have your daddy becuase my daddy was my best friend and the devil took him away from me! Just be there for him through the bad and good , Dont be scared because then he will be scared, Also your daddy has been able to live a longer life than mine becuase my daddy was only 39 just a month before his 40th birthday he past.... I know you are scared, just hang in there and be strong and have faith because life is short and you ronly live once!

• Author
blind_otter

So my Dad is having his surgery on Tuesday (yay!) - one of my good friends was over with her daughter last night. Her Dad had lung cancer as well, she said he had a lung removed on lived another year after that. :(

I am coming down with a cold. I wanted to hang out with him this weekend but I'm afraid of givin ghim something considering his royalled messed up immune system.

Any ideas? Wear a mask, maybe?

littlekitty

First dose yourself up with high dosage Vit C. Should help knock the cold on the head especially if it isn't full blown yet.

If you want to go, then yes, wearing a mask would be a good idea, and maybe taking some antibacterial wipes to keep your hands clean (sounds stupid, but hands are the fastest way to spread bugs!).

Hopefully, if the nursing staff were overly concerned they'd call you on it anyway.

Hope this helps. I'll keep you all in mind and wish you all well...!

*hugs*

• Author
blind_otter

My mom is taking care of him right now (she is a geriatric nurse practitioner, conveniently)...I guess I'll tell her.

She's a nut job, thuogh. She'll just tell me to stay away.

I'm glad I didn't go last night though before I was symptomatic, since that's when colds spread easiest. I would just die if he got sick after his surgery and it was my fault.

littlekitty
My mom is taking care of him right now (she is a geriatric nurse practitioner, conveniently)...I guess I'll tell her.

She's a nut job, thuogh. She'll just tell me to stay away.

I'm glad I didn't go last night though before I was symptomatic, since that's when colds spread easiest. I would just die if he got sick after his surgery and it was my fault.

Hopefully someone with more medical expertise (who isn't your Mom) can chip in and help with some advice! Calling all nurses...!

Yes, you definately don't want to pass it on to him. The last thing you need is him more ill and you feeling guilty.

kitten chick
...and maybe taking some antibacterial wipes to keep your hands clean (sounds stupid, but hands are the fastest way to spread bugs!).
Good idea, hands do spread germs quickly along with airborne methods. Try to wear gloves instead of the antibacterial wipes/liquids.

Science lesson for the day (yes, we actually discussed this in school): Antibacterial soaps/wipes/gels kill 97%-99% of germs. That leaves 1%-3% left on your hands. The bacteria that are left on your hands are therefore the strongest and most resistent strains. So now you've wiped out it's competition for resources (your hands) and made it easy for the strongest bacterial strains to breed rapidly, without competition. So try to use latex/non-latex gloves along with your mask. :)

• Author
blind_otter

I was banned from seeing my Dad this past weekend. For good reason. I am sick as a dog. I got better over the weekend and thought I would be able tos ee him on Monday night, but I went back to work yesterday and got horrifically sick again and m coughing up a lung. I wonder if it's psychosomatic. I used to always get sick when my Dad did.

I talked at him on the phone yesterday he seems to be holding up very well, all things considered. Poor guy had a UTI. I mean he's 76. His whole body is on borrowed time.

He has his surgery today at 10am! Please say a prayer for his safe passage through the surgery, and speedy recovery, if you care to. I am nervous.

alphamale
I mean he's 76.

...so he was around 50 when you were born B_o?? Wow!

• Author
blind_otter
...so he was around 50 when you were born B_o?? Wow!

Yeah! He's exactly 50 years older than me we were both born in October. He was born in 1929, I was 1979! I think it's cool.

alphamale
Yeah! He's exactly 50 years older than me we were both born in October. He was born in 1929, I was 1979! I think it's cool.

is that an angry nut-sack in your new avvie, b_0?? :lmao:

• Author
blind_otter
is that an angry nut-sack in your new avvie, b_0?? :lmao:

I realized that my friends who moved into my upper respiratory tract should not be made to feel welcome. So I put Mr. Burns hallucinating up, instead, because I feel so sickly. Remember the episode where they find out that Mr. Burns has so many deathly illnesses inside his body that he is at homeostasis, so he is invulnerable?

Was that even an episode of the simpsons? coughing fit.

whichwayisup

My thoughts are with you B_O. I'm sure his surgery will go well.

angry nutsack! LOL!

• Author
blind_otter
My thoughts are with you B_O. I'm sure his surgery will go well.

angry nutsack! LOL!

Thanks WWIU. I am distracting myself because otherwise I would be pacing all over the place.

basscatcher

He has his surgery today at 10am! Please say a prayer for his safe passage through the surgery, and speedy recovery, if you care to. I am nervous.

I'm praying!!!

Say a little one for me with the job interview today at 4pm.