My Dad - cancer

blind_otter

basscatcher

:lmao: you two crack me up.. I love the smelly slimey fishy.:lmao:

I love the big fat juicy nightcrawlers that gush when you tear them apart and weave them on your hook.

Its a blast...

My nails are shyt right now.. I plan to get these fake things taken off... I changed my oil last Sunday and it stained the arcrylic.. I tried soaking them in bleach and it didn't work so they are going to come off and I'm gonna be a natural woman again...

I can get dirty that way.. :D

fish gutts, oil, dirt, bring it all on again... yeah.....

zarathustra

Hi B_O,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's illness. My nanny who I loved like a second mother passed away a few years ago of lung cancer. I was lucky enough to go back to HK where I grew up to say goodbye when she was healthy enough to hear me. We had chatted a lot. I told her about the man I was seeing (he is now my H) and that he would take care of me so that she would get some peace from that knowledge. A few months after I returned, I got a call from my sis and she told me that she passed away. The one thing I took comfort in and still do is that she no longer have to suffer. To this day, I still miss her. Still think of her almost every day. I miss her especially when I need her advice. She has always been the one who can steer me on the right path when I want to stray. Those are the hardest times, when I want to pick up the phone to call her and I realize that I can't anymore. My heart truly goes out to you.

I'm turning a bit green from reading about fish guts. Probably why my father never took me out to fish.

• Author
blind_otter

haha, fishing. It's a good meditative past time. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm spending the weekend with Dad, apparently his surgery is scheduled for next week! I'm afraid, but I am hoping for a miracle.

Whew! Good news!

Your parents sound a great deal like mine. My father is brilliant. We've always had this strange bond, understanding one another without the need for words. But he was alcoholic and disappeared into the bottle for years--probably self-medicating for bi-polar disease.

When he was diagnosed with a brain tumor, I was engulfed by all of the emotions you described. Anger because I was in the midst of a 12-step program for healing and was ready to confront him with all the damage his drinking caused, not the least of which was my sense of abandonment and a vacuum into which my co-dependent mother took out all her anger at his abandonment on her children with abuse. Grief because I wouldn't get to have ANY good time with him that I so craved and missed.

Long story short: the man should have died and is a miracle. He was one of the first to live from his type of tumor. So it's possible your father will beat the odds, too. Especially with the cancer being contained.

That's really great news!

• Author
blind_otter

My Dad is going into surgery this week to remove his lung! My mom is puling strings to make this happen as fast as possible.

She seems to be taking a lot of pain pills herself, I have to say. I called her Friday night and she was totall out of it and sluring herself. Then saturday I called her about my rib roast, and she gave me like 3 different directions. Then she forgot what I was cooking.

Then sunday I showed up after they went to church (at 7am with 5 children under the age of 6? I don't think so) and she thought I had gone to church with them? What???

Anyways, prayers....

whichwayisup

All my good thoughts and energy are with you and your family B_O.

Sorry that you all have to go through this.

Cancer f**k'n SUCKS!

BO-

I am truly sad and sorry for you at this challenging time.

Your Mom is coping in the way she is most comfortable, I'm sure you know that but it probably scares you to have her in that state.

Be strong, I know you will.

Most of all, LOVE HIM as much as you can while he is here with you. My Dad has been gone for ten years and I spent alot of time with him, but I still miss him - all the time. Just embrace his presence. XO to you.

• Author
blind_otter

I'm not going fishing tomorrow. I'm going to take my Dad to the hospital and hang out with him. Today we talked about that Sean Connery movie "in the name of the rose" and about global warming, since there's this cool thing on nova we're going to watch tomorrow about the age of the sun in our solar system. Interesting. He said I provide him intellectual stimulation! :D:o how nice, how humbling.

But I may still get to go fishing on wednesday so there's hope yet.

tahnks guys!

serial muse
He said I provide him intellectual stimulation!

Like ya do here. :)

Glad to hear you're spending the time you can with him...still keeping you in my thoughts.

I want to watch that Nova special! I believe I shall check my local listings.

• Author
blind_otter

Cool! I'll start a thread tomorrow and we can discuss. :)

I'm getting ready for a marathon day at the VA hospital. I'm taking a book on the Ancient China that never was. I wish it were still fashionable to carry a hankie (HAH! I used to word) that was scented with oils or something, because I hate the smell of hospitals. It smells like sterilized decay.

• Author
blind_otter

Well great.

The reason my mom needed me to be with Dad today was because she had to get an ultrasound on her uterus because they think she has uterine cancer.

What the f***? cancer sure is popular lately.

What the f***? cancer sure is popular lately.

Yes, the medical institutions refer to cancer as their growth industry. :lmao:

• Author
blind_otter

Poor Dad had a stress test on tuesday, and they messed up the results and thought that he failed it and brought him in for an emergency cardiac stint, and then they were like OOOPS again, and had to administer an amnesiac drug or something. So last night he was looped and totally forget the process of being treated like a salami by the medical establishment.

I don't know whether to believe my mother or not. My sister was unaware of my mom's uterus. It's been wandering for so long, ha ha ha. In any event, she told me to go to Europe so now I am confused. As per the usual. But it's ok, I'm used to it.

I went fishing yesterday and the boat motor died a horrible blubbering death 500 yards away from the boat ramp. This was in the gulf of mexico, in a marshy coastal area where the fishies like to feed.

I only caught 2 catfish and a sting ray. And the sting ray swallowed one of my fishhooks. Poor little slimey disgusting guy. I am so red today I look like a beet. I am sun sick. But it's ok.

I only caught 2 catfish and a sting ray. .

Do people eat stingrays? I would think there's not much meat on them cause they are all flat and sheeyot :laugh:

Do people eat stingrays? I would think there's not much meat on them cause they are all flat and sheeyot :laugh:

They cut out fake scallops from them. Better known as skate scallops. punch the wings with circular cookie cutter type thingy doo dads.

The reason my mom needed me to be with Dad today was because she had to get an ultrasound on her uterus because they think she has uterine cancer.

Yikes, otter, that's more than a little too freaky ... do they live in an area where there's uranium or high levels of radioactivity or anything? My SiL lives in N. Alabama, outside Huntsville, and there have been a lot of people in her circle who've been diagnosed with or died of cancer, including immediate family.

fishing sounds like fun – we were supposed to go while at my dad's last weekend, but the whole trip got cancelled. I wouldn't mind going, though, it can be so relaxing to fish, and I hate the bug-eyed, slimy, worm-eating critters!

• Author
blind_otter

Yikes, otter, that's more than a little too freaky ... do they live in an area where there's uranium or high levels of radioactivity or anything? My SiL lives in N. Alabama, outside Huntsville, and there have been a lot of people in her circle who've been diagnosed with or died of cancer, including immediate family.

fishing sounds like fun – we were supposed to go while at my dad's last weekend, but the whole trip got cancelled. I wouldn't mind going, though, it can be so relaxing to fish, and I hate the bug-eyed, slimy, worm-eating critters!

No but they were both in Saigon during the war. Agent Orange and all that. I don't know.

• Author
blind_otter

People eat them. I felt like killing it after struggling with the damned thing because I wanted to get the hook out of its throat. If I did that I really would have killed it.

Did you know catfish make sounds? They sound like this low hooting, like a bird or something. The big ones are loud.

There were mullet flipping up into the air all around me. I saw a blad eagle catcha fish flipping up into the air.

Agent Orange ... oh s***, that's one bad MoFo to be exposed to. My dad's got all kinds of problems because of it, on top of the diabetes and high blood pressure that already runs in the family.

how are you doing today?

• Author
blind_otter
Agent Orange ... oh s***, that's one bad MoFo to be exposed to. My dad's got all kinds of problems because of it, on top of the diabetes and high blood pressure that already runs in the family.

how are you doing today?

Eh, I'm ok. I'm going about my business. When I was fishing a strange calm came over me. I thought about my almost compulsive worrying. How I could just let go and deal with things as they came to me, like the tide coming in. I could worry and fret and be upset about the tide coming in, or accept it and deal with it. Either way is valid, but one gives me a lot less stress.

I smoked a cigarette yesterday and it tasted like ass. Maybe I'm over the hump.

Did you know catfish make sounds? They sound like this low hooting, like a bird or something. The big ones are loud.

hmm...no I did not know that. Do they make the sound only when out of water or in the water also? Catfish is some good eatin' :)