any ls'ers trying to loos weight?

but women have more curves and if she feels sexy and healthy at 140 then that is a good enough goal for her to reach.

That's. What. I. Said.

My remark was directed at Tudor who seemed to be encouraging her to stay much heavier than 140. :rolleyes:

Elle Macpherson once said

“it is not how much you weigh that is important, it is your silhouette that counts”

FoolishDriver

To Outcast: :rolleyes:

To GuySimple: Why is wheat so bad? What about WheetThins? I eat a box of those all the time. Isn't wheat supposed to be healthy and how did you find out it was so bad that it worked for you to stop eating it? Makes you wonder what else is bad to eat.

dreaming4ever

Me too!!!

Must like a previous commenter, I'm following Weight Watcher's point system but don't go to the meetings or anything. Today was my week one weigh in since I started last Wednesday. I lost 4lbs already so I'm 159lbs now.....not sure what my ultimate goal is yet but anything smaller sounds good :)

To Outcast: :rolleyes:

To GuySimple: Why is wheat so bad? What about WheetThins? I eat a box of those all the time. Isn't wheat supposed to be healthy and how did you find out it was so bad that it worked for you to stop eating it? Makes you wonder what else is bad to eat.

Wheat is used as filler and breading in processed food. It is a cheap ingredient so it is used in lower quality food. Wheat is also an empty calorie. It does not provide as much nutritional value per weight as it does calories but it is used as filler and a means of putting a light coating on to carry flavors. And it is also a simple sugar. This is why food banks no longer want pasta as a donation as there has been a significant rise in diabetes among people who go to food banks.

If you are going to eat wheat products or pasta, go with a whole grain kind.

A friend of mine who is a celiac (intolerance to wheat) put me on to this. I hung out with them for a couple of weeks and didn’t eat anything with wheat in it and I couldn’t believe how fast I started losing weight without really trying.

It is tough to do. I is really amazing how much stuff has wheat as an ingredient. Even things like flavor coatings on potato chips sometimes have wheat. As a result shopping takes a bit more effort and sometimes costs a bit more because you will be buying higher quality stuff.

Wheat is not bad for you. In fact, whole wheats are extremely good for you. Some people say that refined (white/bleached) wheats aren't as good, but it would be a mistake to avoid whole wheat products and derivatives like wheat germ.

Holy liftin'!!! I should think 140 145 would be the UPPER limit - and that for someone 5'7" or over. I have a male friend who's 6'1" and HE's not even 173!!!

and the word is

LOSE

dagnab it! :p

First off thank you for the correction...over sight on my part.

Secondly, I am not encouraging anyone to be unhealthy. I never said anything about what weight anyone should stay at or above but rather to keep the curves. By that comment I was saying don't turn into one of those women that become so obsessed about loosing weight that they become too thin and have no shape and end up with a figure that of a 12 year old girl. No shape, no curve is not appealing. But thank you for so inaccurately interpreting my own comments for the masses.

Your comment of "Holy liftin" was both rude and uncalled for. This people have admitted to not feeling good about their weight and trying to do something about it and instead of encouraging them you choose to insult their goal weight. Very poor taste outcast...very poor.

Wheat is not bad for you. In fact, whole wheats are extremely good for you. Some people say that refined (white/bleached) wheats aren't as good, but it would be a mistake to avoid whole wheat products and derivatives like wheat germ.

I think the term "extremely good for you" might be over stating it a bit.

http://channels.netscape.com/homerealestate/feature.jsp?story=RD_harmfulingredients

I think the term "extremely good for you" might be over stating it a bit.

Well then why quote the source which said

At least seven major studies show that women and men who eat more whole grains (including dark bread, whole-grain breakfast cereals, popcorn, cooked oatmeal, brown rice, bran, and other grains like bulgur or kasha) have 20 to 30 percent less heart disease. In contrast, those who opt for refined grains have more heart attacks, insulin resistance, and high blood pressure.

Read the ingredient list on packaged grain products. If the product is one of those that are best for you, the first ingredients should be whole wheat or another whole grain, such as oats. The fiber content should be at least 3 grams per serving.

Whole grains are good. WHOLE GRAINS. Flour, OTOH, is like glue that sticks to the entire length of your digestive tract in little bits and slowly rots (my favorite word) over time, causing digestive problems. Americans as a whole love their refined flour and put it in everything, along with an extra dose of sugar/sugar substitute because the opiod receptors in your body respond to sugars...take alcoholics for example. ALcohol is essentially super-refined sugars.

Celiac disease is a wheat gluten allergy that is increasingly common in younger children today. The wheat GLUTEN is what is bad, not the actual seed. An excessive amount of any refined foods, even white rice, can be bad for you. Make you tired, sluggish, make it difficult to lose weight, can cause fluctuations in blood sugar similar to the hypoglycemic.

I ate a donut with peanuts this morning. can I start over next week? :laugh:

maybe i will walk an extra 10 minutes at lunch today

I will be the first to admit, I dont have alot of will power, plus i quit smoking 11 days ago so that wont help with the weight loss

slubberdegullion
I quit smoking 11 days ago so that wont help with the weight loss

Actually, that's good, because you're not changing just one thing at a time, you're making an entire lifestyle change.

I commend you and your decisions. Good luck!

• Author

outcast: It was very hurtful to be compare to a 6'1" guy. Implying that I am fat.

I know I am and I hate it. That is why I am trying to change. I gained weight due to medical illness, basically I was so sick I couldn't walk around the block. finally I am getting my strength back and want to change.

I also have a slight wheat allergy and need to be on a low carb diet because of one of my medical problems, I don't process sugar like everyone else.

So please be kind. Also I would like to be under 140 but I want to set a realistic goal to start with.

Now back to weight loss: I have to start exercising. And that will be my biggest challenge as I work 9-10 hours a day and have a kid plus this weekend we are moving into a new house.

Yesterday was a bad food day since it was my mom's b-day but today will be a good one.

I went to the gym this morning. :):bunny:

Cutting wheat, dairy, and sugars from your diet will help you to lose weight but it's tough to do. These products go by many names including ones that you probably wouldn't recognize and they are hidden in lots of foods that you wouldn't expect them to be in.

Now back to weight loss: I have to start exercising. And that will be my biggest challenge as I work 9-10 hours a day and have a kid plus this weekend we are moving into a new house.

I hear ya. Otherthan walking at lunch, I dont know when i could exercise. Unless i got up at 5 am? But I am "will power challanged" so that wont work either. And at night I like to play with the kids and hang out with my wife.

This is a good idea for everyone....

Start a food journal.

Every day write what you ate, how you felt physically, and how you felt emotionally.

Do this for a few weeks and look back to see what foods you depend too much on and what you may unconsciously be doing in terms of your relationship with food.

It also helps you regulate and make sure you eat at least 3 meals a day, and makes you attend to portion size.

Include all beverages except water.

It really helps, my nutritionist taught me to do this when I had gastropareisis.

• Author
This is a good idea for everyone....

Start a food journal.

Every day write what you ate, how you felt physically, and how you felt emotionally.

Do this for a few weeks and look back to see what foods you depend too much on and what you may unconsciously be doing in terms of your relationship with food.

It also helps you regulate and make sure you eat at least 3 meals a day, and makes you attend to portion size.

Include all beverages except water.

It really helps, my nutritionist taught me to do this when I had gastropareisis.

I was doing this and I should start again. But because of my sugar issue I need to eat small meals throughout the day.

But I really started packing on the pounds when I started having wine with dinner. So I am going dry during the week and maybe allowing a glass on the weekend.

• Author
I hear ya. Otherthan walking at lunch, I dont know when i could exercise. Unless i got up at 5 am? But I am "will power challanged" so that wont work either. And at night I like to play with the kids and hang out with my wife.

I'm in the same boat and I m not a morning person

I ate a donut with peanuts this morning. can I start over next week? :laugh:

LBC!!! Cant' start over next week. Just eat a lighter dinner tonight. I had a can of Pepsi for an additional 160 calories. :( I forgot my apple this morning, so my Pepsi will be my very unhealthy substitute in the calorie department. Do some research about how many calories were in your donut and peanuts, and how long you have to walk to get it off. If you think about that, then maybe next time the donut won't look as good. My coke is approximately 2 miles of walking. Hmmm... Yay Water!!

I'm in the same boat as everyone else as far as the exercising goes. We can all make little steps though. Park in the spot furtherest away. This isn't a problem for me since my parking spot is a good 1/2 mile from the building. If you aren't on the first floor, take the stairs. Okay, if you're on the 20th floor, take the first couple of flights, then the elevator. I'm on the third. I'm crazy busy right now, but am going to try and start hitting the gym in February.

Hotgirl--

A 3 years ago, I was 168, wearing a size 16 jeans. I got very serious about dieting and going to the gym and dropped to 143 in a matter of 4 months for a beach trip, so you can do it too. Of course I went back to fast food and sodas after the beach trip, and wouldn't you know it, I gained 10 lbs. At least it wasn't 25!!:D

• Author
Hotgirl--

A 3 years ago, I was 168, wearing a size 16 jeans. I got very serious about dieting and going to the gym and dropped to 143 in a matter of 4 months for a beach trip, so you can do it too. Of course I went back to fast food and sodas after the beach trip, and wouldn't you know it, I gained 10 lbs. At least it wasn't 25!!:D

aww thanks. I know I need to do it. Cutting the carbs is the hardest part.

Maybe we should all make a goal for next wednesday. My goal is to walk 3x for at least 20 minutes before Wednesday.

Maybe we should all make a goal for next wednesday. My goal is to walk 3x for at least 20 minutes before Wednesday.

Good idea. I'm going to visit with my future in-laws, and they are having a shower for us, so my "goal" is to not over do it with all the shower food. My FMIL is quite the baker and she always has a pie waiting for my fiance when we get there and one to take home. So restraint. That's my goal for the weekend.

don't get discouraged if you don't have "time" to exercise --

even exercising for 5/10 minutes, at intervals throughout the day, is better than nothing at all.

i really need to quit drinking coffee (on my third cup today....)

don't get discouraged if you don't have "time" to exercise --

even exercising for 5/10 minutes, at intervals throughout the day, is better than nothing at all.

I thought you needed at least 20 minutes of carido at an increased heart rate. So lets say you get your heart rate up to speed in 5 minutes, but ya have to maintain that rate for at least 20 mins or the workout didnt burn calories?