For those of you using dating apps, how are you getting dates?

seamusharper

Definitely never put "looking for casual or see how it goes" on a dating profile. Why? Because, not only will you turn a lot of women off but nothing is going to be a "long term relationship" unless you want it to be so just put "looking for long term relationship" .

Also women can see your age range, so put 24-34. If someone 32 matches with you or contacts you, so what? You still can generally only contact the ones you're interested in. 

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
2 hours ago, Weezy1973 said:

This is also a problem. You’re 34 and you don’t know what you want. You’d likely garner more interest if you knew you were looking for long term / marriage / family (eventually). If you’re just staying “chill” and keeping things casual, there are a ton of options for young women looking for that. 

The women that will be more open to dating an older guy are ones that are looking to settle down and don’t want the “casual, hangout, Netflix and chill” crowd anymore. 

I suffered through my teenage years and didn't have a normal high school experience. I missed out on my 20s studying and working like crazy and looking after my mom. I'm finally at a point where I don't have to worry about money and my family and I just want to have fun with women but it seems like what's being said here, that isn't possible.

I can't date the young 20s girls because they aren't looking for guys in their 30s and are apparently in relationships with guys their age. The age group most available to me are women 25+ and they all want to settle down. If I meet an exceptional woman, then I'm open to being in a committed relationship with her but for now, I just want to have fun with different younger women but it seems like I'm stuck in limbo apparently.

1 hour ago, basil67 said:

My daughter and her friends are all 24-25.  And I can confirm they all seek younger than the OP.  As it so happens, they are all in long term relationships with men who are much closer to their age.  Even before they settled down, the biggest age gap I'd see was about 3 years.   

@seamusharper I keep seeing you write about how you're in better shape than younger guys. Or that you're in better shape than the young women!   I didn't see that you responded to my question about your photos trying too hard, but I suspect they are.  How about you make your profile less polished and make sure it doesn't focus on your physique because it could come across as vain.  No professional photos.  Just regular pics which reflect you and your life.   

None of my photos show my physique, nor are they professional. They're all taken by someone with a phone whilst I'm doing things. They're all regular pics except for one "professional" picture where I'm in a suit.

34 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Definitely never put "looking for casual or see how it goes" on a dating profile. Why? Because, not only will you turn a lot of women off but nothing is going to be a "long term relationship" unless you want it to be so just put "looking for long term relationship" .

Also women can see your age range, so put 24-34. If someone 32 matches with you or contacts you, so what? You still can generally only contact the ones you're interested in. 

I don't have "casual or see how it goes" on my profile. I think I have long term but I'll double check. Right now, the filter is set to 25-30 and the only match I got on Bumble was a mom who had only two pictures of just her face and didn't have her profile even filled out.

Edited by seamusharper

@seamusharperThere is still plenty of room to have fun with women. And believe me young guys often find that older women are a lot more fun than the younger gals are.

They usually have a lot less drama going on in their lives, are more mature, and are a lot more experienced in the bedroom.

Edited by Sony12
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
46 minutes ago, Sony12 said:

@seamusharperThere is still plenty of room to have fun with women. And believe me young guys often find that older women are a lot more fun than the younger gals are.

They usually have a lot less drama going on in their lives, are more mature, and are a lot more experienced in the bedroom.

Yea you're right, I have to stop thinking so catastrophically I suppose. I've lived in the mindset of extreme urgency for so many years, it's hard to just slow down. But I guess it's necessary if I want to have fun. 

I'll consider giving the older women a chance!

1 hour ago, seamusharper said:

If I meet an exceptional woman, then I'm open to being in a committed relationship with her but for now, I just want to have fun with different younger women but it seems like I'm stuck in limbo apparently.

Why not put the put the bolded on your profile?  Assuming that you're happy to pay their costs, it will save complications with women who don't want a committed thing.  And if it turns out that none of the women want this, then you can put it down as research and change your what you're looking for accordingly.

'Fun, thoughtful and generous guy looking for a woman who's interested in casual dating.  Open to considering a relationship with the right person"

From what I hear, there's always women who are happy to go out for a free meal

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
17 minutes ago, basil67 said:

Why not put the put the bolded on your profile?  Assuming that you're happy to pay their costs, it will save complications with women who don't want a committed thing.  And if it turns out that none of the women want this, then you can put it down as research and change your what you're looking for accordingly.

'Fun, thoughtful and generous guy looking for a woman who's interested in casual dating.  Open to considering a relationship with the right person"

From what I hear, there's always women who are happy to go out for a free meal

That is a good idea, I will give it a try! I don't mind covering costs, I'm "old fashioned" and usually like paying for things anyways.

2 hours ago, seamusharper said:

. I think I have long term but I'll double check. Right now, the filter is set to 25-30 and the only match I got on Bumble was a mom who had only two pictures of just her face and didn't have her profile even filled out.

Whatever your goals are are fine, but "just looking for fun" (or similar) on a profile is pretty much bound to fail . Reset the age to 25-34.

To be honest, please review your wording,  flashy pics, settings, and matching criteria. Because whatever you're doing now isn't working. And that's the best indicator that you may want to tweak and rethink things. 

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
33 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Whatever your goals are are fine, but "just looking for fun" (or similar) on a profile is pretty much bound to fail . Reset the age to 25-34.

To be honest, please review your wording,  flashy pics, settings, and matching criteria. Because whatever you're doing now isn't working. And that's the best indicator that you may want to tweak and rethink things. 

I've never used "just looking for fun" so I know that's not what the issue is haha.

I reset the age to 25-40 so we'll see what comes up. I know something isn't working somewhere and I really don't think it's the photos, at least those I've sent to a few female friends and they all like them. 

40 minutes ago, seamusharper said:

I've never used "just looking for fun" so I know that's not what the issue is haha.

I reset the age to 25-40 so we'll see what comes up. I know something isn't working somewhere and I really don't think it's the photos, at least those I've sent to a few female friends and they all like them. 

I will perhaps be the one opposing view when it comes to dating older. You need to think very carefully if you want the potential complication of kids and consequently either the father of those kids or the fact said lady may be looking for a substitute father for those kids. Reading your criteria this perhaps would not fall into the "good time" you refer to. For what its worth I think your initial age criteria is correct, you can look older but I suspect you will not find what you are looking for and if anything probably find more complications. 

Also consider that OLD should maybe not based on the fact you are apparently good looking be your primary way to get dates. What degree of attention do you get in social settings, do you find your luck any better there? Are you happy with who you can attract in a social setting?

Of course OLD does not work for everyone, cat fishing (terrible stupid idea do not do it) is common to a degree but only because like you people resort to it because they get no attractive matches. I will also say this, I'd be surprised if you get not matches at all what I think is probably happening is the matches you get are not people you want to date, this is absolutely fine.

• Like 1

Generally speaking women do tend to start letting their hair down more once their kids have moved out of the house or are old enough to take care of themselves.

They often have the attitude that they gave their time to their kids and now it is some 'me' time.

25-40 you will still mostly see women with small kids at home.

• Like 1
Alpacalia

I like @basil67suggestion. ''Fun, thoughtful and generous guy looking for a woman who's interested in casual dating.  Open to considering a relationship with the right person"'

That's what you're looking for, so state it!

• Like 3
Alpacalia

I read an article that said that men are becoming more hesitant about committing and survey says it's due to number of options available to them on dating apps.

Especially if there is an abundance of females that are giving away the good for very little follow up.

You aren't going to start a relationship with the ones who can't simply text back in general within a week's time. These aren't people who are presenting their best foot forward either even as far as just presenting their engaging text to potential interested others. 

I don't have a definitive answer to the question inquiry on the most effective way to be successful with dating apps. But I'm just going to tell you that whoever they are (and their relative actual quality in personality), they're going to be on apps just as much until they aren't. If you spend time finding ways to actually socially interact with potential partners, you're at the advantage there.  

It's a popularity market that fluctuates from person location to who can afford what app or pay for the better previews etc. and that market changes like everyday probably. You could only go by the advertisers so much before you realize you're sold into something that really values pseudo likes and matches.  

If you want to be really successful (relative to the current climate of the medium of) modern dating and have improvement, give up the app and use your monthly money that you otherwise pay to sign up to meet ups and clubs instead. Or find a woman who is going that extra mile and smoking weed and ordering uber eats all day unemployed - be her sugar daddy and meet her whenever - before the collapse happens. Idk lol

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

I read an article that said that men are becoming more hesitant about committing and survey says it's due to number of options available to them on dating apps.

Especially if there is an abundance of females that are giving away the good for very little follow up.

You aren't going to start a relationship with the ones who can't simply text back in general within a week's time. These aren't people who are presenting their best foot forward either even as far as just presenting their engaging text to potential interested others. 

I don't have a definitive answer to the question inquiry on the most effective way to be successful with dating apps. But I'm just going to tell you that whoever they are (and their relative actual quality in personality), they're going to be on apps just as much until they aren't. If you spend time finding ways to actually socially interact with potential partners, you're at the advantage there.  

It's a popularity market that fluctuates from person location to who can afford what app or pay for the better previews etc. and that market changes like everyday probably. You could only go by the advertisers so much before you realize you're sold into something that really values pseudo likes and matches.  

If you want to be really successful (relative to the current climate of the medium of) modern dating and have improvement, give up the app and use your monthly money that you otherwise pay to sign up to meet ups and clubs instead. Or find a woman who is going that extra mile and smoking weed and ordering uber eats all day unemployed - be her sugar daddy and meet her whenever - before the collapse happens. Idk lol

I think you make a lot of good points here @Alpacalia. I think apps work well if you are looking for a hookup but you get a lot of people who are either incredibly flaky, unsure what they want or have too much emotional baggage to pursue a relationship.

It's cool for a while but now I'm in my 30s I do question if it does more harm than good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
seamusharper
9 hours ago, ZA Dater said:

I will perhaps be the one opposing view when it comes to dating older. You need to think very carefully if you want the potential complication of kids and consequently either the father of those kids or the fact said lady may be looking for a substitute father for those kids. Reading your criteria this perhaps would not fall into the "good time" you refer to. For what its worth I think your initial age criteria is correct, you can look older but I suspect you will not find what you are looking for and if anything probably find more complications. 

Also consider that OLD should maybe not based on the fact you are apparently good looking be your primary way to get dates. What degree of attention do you get in social settings, do you find your luck any better there? Are you happy with who you can attract in a social setting?

Of course OLD does not work for everyone, cat fishing (terrible stupid idea do not do it) is common to a degree but only because like you people resort to it because they get no attractive matches. I will also say this, I'd be surprised if you get not matches at all what I think is probably happening is the matches you get are not people you want to date, this is absolutely fine.

Just overnight, I got many matches in the over 30 category. Unfortunately, I don't find any of them attractive and they are all seeking a marriage. I am getting matches but you are right, these aren't people I want to date and the rare few that I do match with that I find attractive, don't ever answer. 

Honestly, I'm just getting back into dating after years of being a hermit working on my businesses. I'm desperately wanting to get back to social settings and hang out with people but all my friends have moved away so it's doubtful I'd have success cold approaching women on the street. I need a social life and girls to have fun with.

2 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

I've deleted the apps and then gone back. Truthfully, I hate them. No matter what the interaction, it just feels weird. I'd much rather meet women in person and even get rejected, at least that has a tangible learning outcome whereas on the apps, it's just a never ending stream of rejection. 

I wish I was ready for marriage, I really do. I understand that guys like me wanting to have fun and not setting down are part of the issue of society right now but I watched everyone else have fun for the past 15 years, I just want to have fun myself, especially with women. I debated sugar dating but at the end of the day, those women only care about your money, no matter what they say.

1 hour ago, FredEire said:

I think you make a lot of good points here @Alpacalia. I think apps work well if you are looking for a hookup but you get a lot of people who are either incredibly flaky, unsure what they want or have too much emotional baggage to pursue a relationship.

It's cool for a while but now I'm in my 30s I do question if it does more harm than good.

It definitely does more harm than good but I feel like for many of us who didn't partake in hookup culture are now struggling and wishing we did. Except now we're older and our options are more narrowed down than if we were younger. I just can't help but feel like I missed out.

Edited by seamusharper
25 minutes ago, seamusharper said:

Just overnight, I got many matches in the over 30 category. Unfortunately, I don't find any of them attractive and they are all seeking a marriage. I am getting matches but you are right, these aren't people I want to date and the rare few that I do match with that I find attractive, don't ever answer. 

Honestly, I'm just getting back into dating after years of being a hermit working on my businesses. I'm desperately wanting to get back to social settings and hang out with people but all my friends have moved away so it's doubtful I'd have success cold approaching women on the street. I need a social life and girls to have fun with.

I've deleted the apps and then gone back. Truthfully, I hate them. No matter what the interaction, it just feels weird. I'd much rather meet women in person and even get rejected, at least that has a tangible learning outcome whereas on the apps, it's just a never ending stream of rejection. 

I wish I was ready for marriage, I really do. I understand that guys like me wanting to have fun and not setting down are part of the issue of society right now but I watched everyone else have fun for the past 15 years, I just want to have fun myself, especially with women. I debated sugar dating but at the end of the day, those women only care about your money, no matter what they say.

It definitely does more harm than good but I feel like for many of us who didn't partake in hookup culture are now struggling and wishing we did. Except now we're older and our options are more narrowed down than if we were younger. I just can't help but feel like I missed out.

I don't know, the grass isn't always greener. I have friends who are triple digits in terms of sexual partners and they all tell me they feel the part of them that would be capable of settling down is now burnt out as they get bored and restless so easily when dating.

I wouldn't be quite on that level myself but I've been around and know exactly what they mean. On the one hand I think it's made me generally quite knowledgeable about dating and how to navigate situations when I initially meet someone, on the other hand casual stuff is very superficial and can feel a bit soul-destroying after a while.

• Like 1
Alpacalia
37 minutes ago, seamusharper said:

Maybe then it isn't so much a problem that you're not getting dates but that you're not getting dates with people you want to get dates with.

That's the thing with online dating, if you met some of these women and real life first and got to know them casually, you might end up liking some of them. But on an app or website, all you have to go on is their physical appearance and a few tidbits about their personality. So if you're not finding anyone attractive or interesting enough to message, then it might be time to reevaluate what you're looking for.

Which isn't anything unusual. It's just the nature of the beast.

• Like 2
  • Author
seamusharper
7 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Maybe then it isn't so much a problem that you're not getting dates but that you're not getting dates with people you want to get dates with.

That's the thing with online dating, if you met some of these women and real life first and got to know them casually, you might end up liking some of them. But on an app or website, all you have to go on is their physical appearance and a few tidbits about their personality. So if you're not finding anyone attractive or interesting enough to message, then it might be time to reevaluate what you're looking for.

Which isn't anything unusual. It's just the nature of the beast.

Yes, I suppose technically I would get dates if I decided to match with the women that I don't like, but what's the point? There really isn't much to go off from a simple app profile. I'm definitely going for what looks attractive to me. My only other option is to go for women I don't find attractive which isn't an option. I've been with women I haven't been attracted to and it's miserable. And I'm not swiping right on every attractive girl and believe me, I'm not into the "big tits, big ass, big lips" crowd. 

19 minutes ago, FredEire said:

I don't know, the grass isn't always greener. I have friends who are triple digits in terms of sexual partners and they all tell me they feel the part of them that would be capable of settling down is now burnt out as they get bored and restless so easily when dating.

I wouldn't be quite on that level myself but I've been around and know exactly what they mean. On the one hand I think it's made me generally quite knowledgeable about dating and how to navigate situations when I initially meet someone, on the other hand casual stuff is very superficial and can feel a bit soul-destroying after a while.

Maybe I just need to get it out of my system. Maybe I'll get bored of it relatively quickly and decide I want to settle down sooner than I thought. Who knows. I do know that I've spoken to many people like me, men and women, who buckled down in our 20s to establish ourselves and didn't partake in hooking up and now we're in a good place in life financially, far better than most other people our age, but we've got no one. It's lonely and we don't even have memories of having fun in our 20s. 

Honestly, I would love more than anything to find that one girl that I'm really, really into and commit to her. But I can't even find girls to have fun with, what are the odds I'm going to find someone to "knock me off my feet" and want me to just be with her?

Edited by seamusharper
1 minute ago, seamusharper said:

Yes, I suppose technically I would get dates if I decided to match with the women that I don't like, but what's the point? There really isn't much to go off from a simple app profile. I'm definitely going for what looks attractive to me. My only other option is to go for women I don't find attractive which isn't an option. I've been with women I haven't been attracted to and it's miserable. And I'm not swiping right on every attractive girl and believe me, I'm not into the "big tits, big ass, big lips" crowd. 

Maybe I just need to get it out of my system. Maybe I'll get bored of it relatively quickly and decide I want to settle down sooner than I thought. Who knows. I do know that I've spoken to many people like me, men and women, who buckled down in our 20s to establish ourselves and didn't partake in hooking up and now we're in a good place in life financially but we've got no one. It's lonely and we don't even have memories of having fun in our 20s. 

Yeah man, the modern dating world is a bit of a lonely place whatever way you look at it. I've got plenty of good memories but I know at the end of the day I'm going to get older, won't be as attractive and I'd rather have a partner, possibly children and a loving community around me than being some "character" at the bar talking about past conquests who don't even remember who he is.

On the other hand I have friends who've had partners since they were 16 who say they feel jealous that I got to date around, I feel envious of their strong long term relationship. So it's all relative and based on what you value

• Like 1
Alpacalia
6 minutes ago, seamusharper said:

No, of course I wouldn't recommend dating a woman that you don't find physically attractive. Physical attraction is an important factor in any relationship and it would not be fair to either person to pursue something where that element is lacking.

My comment is that with online dating you're only getting a bird's eye view of a person and a 2-dimensional photo. Sometimes when I get to know a person more, their personality and other qualities can make them more physically attractive to me. So someone that I looked at at first glance that I felt was 'sort-of' attractive may become much more attractive physically in my eyes if I am able to get to know them more and my attraction can grow.

But I completely agree that it's not worth pursuing someone if there is no physical attraction at all.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
2 minutes ago, FredEire said:

Yeah man, the modern dating world is a bit of a lonely place whatever way you look at it. I've got plenty of good memories but I know at the end of the day I'm going to get older, won't be as attractive and I'd rather have a partner, possibly children and a loving community around me than being some "character" at the bar talking about past conquests who don't even remember who he is.

On the other hand I have friends who've had partners since they were 16 who say they feel jealous that I got to date around, I feel envious of their strong long term relationship. So it's all relative and based on what you value

I've always had something big occupying my mind that I was working on (school, business, purchasing a home) so I never really dealt with loneliness. Now, I'm slowing down and wanting to have fun and for the first time, I'm feeling lonely and it's miserable because I can't find anyone. Long term, I do want one person and I do want to build my social circle.

1 minute ago, Alpacalia said:

No, of course I wouldn't recommend dating a woman that you don't find attractive. Physical attraction is an important factor in any relationship and it would not be fair to either person to pursue something where that element is lacking.

My comment is that with online dating you're only getting a bird's eye view of a person and a 2-dimensional photo. Sometimes when I get to know a person more, their personality and other qualities can make them more attractive to me. So someone that I looked at at first glance that I felt was 'sort-of' attractive may become much more attractive physically in my eyes if I am able to get to know them more and my attraction can grow.

But I completely agree that it's not worth pursuing someone if there is no physical attraction at all.

Maybe, who knows. I will say I have tried. I've swiped right on girls that I normally wouldn't go for just because something about them made me want to give it a try and I didn't even match with them so I'm running out of options. 

8 minutes ago, seamusharper said:

I've always had something big occupying my mind that I was working on (school, business, purchasing a home) so I never really dealt with loneliness. Now, I'm slowing down and wanting to have fun and for the first time, I'm feeling lonely and it's miserable because I can't find anyone. Long term, I do want one person and I do want to build my social circle.

Maybe, who knows. I will say I have tried. I've swiped right on girls that I normally wouldn't go for just because something about them made me want to give it a try and I didn't even match with them so I'm running out of options. 

Yeah I think it's good that you focused on building up your life at least so you have a solid base. I'm still working a job I'm not crazy about for not that much money.

I don't think many good things come when you overthink them and want them too much. That being said I know it's difficult, the modern world doesn't seem to have much in the way of meaning and direction and it's driving young and relatively young single people crazy. It's depressing if you stop to think about it and sometimes it's hard not to.

Edited by FredEire
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
13 minutes ago, FredEire said:

Yeah I think it's good that you focused on building up your life at least so you have a solid base. I'm still working a job I'm not crazy about for not that much money.

I don't think many good things come when you overthink them and want them too much. That being said I know it's difficult, the modern world doesn't seem to have much in the way of meaning and direction and it's driving young and relatively young single people crazy. It's depressing if you stop to think about it and sometimes it's hard not to.

Yea but sometimes I think what's the point of having all this money if I have no one to share it with? And contrary to what people think, just because you have money, you're not a chick magnet haha (unless you're paying for them).

I'm definitely overthinking this to the point where I'm probably coming across as desperate which is only self-defeating. But at the same time, you sacrifice for so long, put off living for so long and then you want to start enjoying life and can't even get what you put off for so many years...it's hard not to be frustrated and desperate. 

@seamusharperit does seem you are behind the eight ball a bit in terms of your social life. The time you spent building up your career took away from the natural social development most people in their 20's have. At this point many people your own age might not be that impressed by you while women younger than you would just consider you to be older than they are looking for.

You might want to just focus on you and not really get back into the dating game until you feel like you have had a chance to catch up.

Edited by Sony12
  • Like 1
  • Author
seamusharper
1 minute ago, Sony12 said:

@seamusharperit does seem you are behind the eight ball a bit in terms of your social life. The time you spent building up your career took away from the natural social development most people in their 20's have. At this point many people your own age might not be that impressed by you while women younger than you would just consider you to be older than they are looking for.

You might want to just focus on you and not really get back into the dating game until you feel like you have had a chance to catch up.

I agree with you completely but then that puts me back to my original problem. How long do I put off dating to catch up socially? A few years? I'll be in my late 30s by then and if I'm having trouble with women in their late 20s now, how is that going to improve when I'm in my late 30s? 

This is part of my frustration and why I feel like I missed out and why I'm questioning why all of this was worth it. I'm in a bad spot and it feels like I'm screwed no matter what I do and ultimately won't end up getting what I want. 

8 minutes ago, seamusharper said:

Yea but sometimes I think what's the point of having all this money if I have no one to share it with? And contrary to what people think, just because you have money, you're not a chick magnet haha (unless you're paying for them).

I'm definitely overthinking this to the point where I'm probably coming across as desperate which is only self-defeating. But at the same time, you sacrifice for so long, put off living for so long and then you want to start enjoying life and can't even get what you put off for so many years...it's hard not to be frustrated and desperate. 

Yeah this is the paradigm of the modern world. You have to make social sacrifices to get ahead financially but if you spend your youth being more social you can be in trouble financially as you get older.

I agree with Sony about getting out to more social events as well as Tinder etc. don't put all your eggs in one basket.

You're still a relatively young financially stable guy and you've said you're in good shape as well so I wouldn't get too downhearted. Just get out there try everything and try to forget about what you want and just live in the moment.

Edited by FredEire