To all ladies out there.. what's your problem with," I am a Carpenter."

Avarantor

todreaminblue
Funny that.l know a guy owns a company that's on the exchange, built it himself, he's still only 33. Got divorced ,

Has a big garage full of all kinds of cars, gorgeous big expensive place,dunno what he's worth but it's a lot.

But he also still has he's first car ever, still in the garage, he bought at 25 when he was still broke. And guess what, that's the car he picks up his dates in.Just wares everyday clothes and tells them nothing about his company, never takes them back to his main place,

He keeps this up until he see's who and what they are , usually a few wks because apparently he has a major problem with gold diggers otherwise.

Last time we talked he was in love with a Russian now , yikes . Dunno how that came about.

hmmm....so he lies his head off to avoid liars and gold diggers.....sad and unfortunate life to lead..to be what you avoid...a lie....deb

OK, but he does sound a bit weird, no?

Yeah , but nah he's not really,he's a very special guy actually. But he is different of course , not everyone builds their own multi mullion dollar company.

But it's just very important to him that she see's him and not the money, l get it.

• Like 1
hmmm....so he lies his head off to avoid liars and gold diggers.....sad and unfortunate life to lead..to be what you avoid...a lie....deb

No he doesn't really , just doesn't tell all, he has no choice , l get it. It's only being careful at the start , a lot of rich people have trouble with that stuff .

Yet others seem quite happy to flaunt it.

• Like 1
Yeah , but nah he's not really,he's a very special guy actually. But he is different of course , not everyone builds their own multi mullion dollar company.

But it's just very important to him that she see's him and not the money, l get it.

I get it also. It's not weird at all.

I've have successful women did the same to me. It makes sense to want to be sure the person is interested in you and not your money.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
No he doesn't really , just doesn't tell all, he has no choice , l get it. It's only being careful at the start , a lot of rich people have trouble with that stuff .

Yet others seem quite happy to flaunt it.

i see the issues.....but if he were to date someone with their own money and stay in say his social and financial rich equivalent..he wouldnt have to hide anything....or worry.....about dating someone who was after his bank account when they have their own money..so no worries then for him.......and that person who had their own money would also understand and appreciate his viewpoints...and his financial standing......deb

• Like 1
Funny that.l know a guy owns a company that's on the exchange, built it himself, he's still only 33. Got divorced ,

Has a big garage full of all kinds of cars, gorgeous big expensive place,dunno what he's worth but it's a lot.

But he also still has he's first car ever, still in the garage, he bought at 25 when he was still broke. And guess what, that's the car he picks up his dates in.Just wares everyday clothes and tells them nothing about his company, never takes them back to his main place,

He keeps this up until he see's who and what they are , usually a few wks because apparently he has a major problem with gold diggers otherwise.

Last time we talked he was in love with a Russian now , yikes . Dunno how that came about.

I've been self sufficient for a long time. Great career, untouchable pension. Even being married, I simply don't have a habit of asking H (who does make more than me) for money for things I want to buy for myself. I wouldn't be impressed with this guy, b/c he wouldn't seem successful. Nothing to do with wanting a sugar daddy. If I found out his real circs after a couple of weeks, I would be weirded out.

todreaminblue
I've been self sufficient for a long time. Great career, untouchable pension. Even being married, I simply don't have a habit of asking H (who does make more than me) for money for things I want to buy for myself. I wouldn't be impressed with this guy, b/c he wouldn't seem successful. Nothing to do with wanting a sugar daddy. If I found out his real circs after a couple of weeks, I would be weirded out.

i would find it hard because i would feel his distrust from the very beginning... in that he lied....to me that doesnt really say much for a future with honesty,if i dated a guy and he began dating me, with it in his mind i wanted his money..when he then decided to tell me hey i havent been honest with you from the start.....i would likely let him go.....deb

i see the issues.....but if he were to date someone with their own money and stay in say his social and financial rich equivalent..he wouldnt have to hide anything....or worry.....about dating someone who was after his bank account when they have their own money..so no worries then for him.......and that person who had their own money would also understand and appreciate his viewpoints...and his financial standing......deb

No worries, l'll give u his number and you can tell him all about it, how's that.

ps , crackin up here but hey, l think they'll get over it when they see his penthouse and a few million bucks worth of luxury cars one day.

Edited by Chilli

Wonder if he makes em pay half the meal :lmao:

Anyway he's found his Russian right now and he's inloveeeee. Hope she's legit.

mortensorchid

Well, just remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they will at least find you handy. I didn't come up with that, The Red Green Show from Canada 20 some years ago had that as a saying.

• Like 2

Pretty cool but he also met an unfortunate and early demise and was celibate IIRC. ;)

That example underscores demographics, in that a carpenter can be quite popular and accepted in one demographic and invisible or even eschewed in another. Group dynamics.

amaysngrace
Pretty cool but he also met an unfortunate and early demise and was celibate IIRC. ;)

That example underscores demographics, in that a carpenter can be quite popular and accepted in one demographic and invisible or even eschewed in another. Group dynamics.

I think being a carpenter is an art and a skill. I could do it if I wanted to but I don't know if I could do it for money....that's probably more of me not wanting to actually. Especially drywall.

I try to not be disrespectful to people by judging them for what they have. I go for more of who they are as a person.

Hopefully that puts me in that nice person demographic cause WWJD?

• Like 1
I think being a carpenter is an art and a skill. I could do it if I wanted to but I don't know if I could do it for money....that's probably more of me not wanting to actually. Especially drywall.

I try to not be disrespectful to people by judging them for what they have. I go for more of who they are as a person.

Hopefully that puts me in that nice person demographic cause WWJD?

Be a carpenter, of course.

• Like 2

That demographics thing reminded me of a young carpenter I know who's been quite successful with the ladies. He graduated business school but decided to make his living with his hands like his father did. The ladies part is likely due do him being a Wilhelmina model when young. ;) He's married to a fitness model now. There's carpenters and then there's carpenters and, yes, we've worked projects together and he's a natural woodworker, both structural and finish/cabinetry. The gift. He sees wood and design like I see metal and design. Cool to see that in a young man.

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland

I know stereotypes are bad, but the reality is most people live up to the stereotypes they fit into far more than they admit. You can usually pick the blue collar people out from the white collar people at a neutral setting. So I think the bigger question is are you a typical blue collar person, or are you more like a business person who happens to do carpentry? There are lots of women attracted to both types, but just make sure you are properly advertising yourself as the type of person you really are.

• Like 1

I thought my exW came up with a good 'slogan' when she would describe, or perhaps apologize ;) for the path in life I chose. She called it 'blue collar hands and a white collar mind'. I found it apt due to being the son of a professional white collar guy and doing all the private school and college stuff but loving, and choosing, the smell and grease and grittiness of the shop as life's work. Some guys are better at advertising and self-promotion, both in general and with the ladies and, reflecting, I was probably lousy at it. Too modest. If the OP finds any traction in that, maybe an adjustment in the volume or content level could help him. Also, if not already done, get worldly, meaning explore the world, its cultures and richness of diversity and bring that milieu into your interactions. Women like texture and details. Sure, being pretty helps but it's the overall thing that grabs the attention of a potential partner.

• Like 1

I have a relative who's been a blue-collar worker his entire adult life. He parlayed his experience into his own business for several decades, and has subsequently made pretty good money. He's also one of the more sharp-witted and intellectual people I know.

Despite his intellect, he's told me a few times over the years that his occupation was seen as a negative by a lot of the women he wanted to date. It didn't matter that he was his own boss, hard-working, generated a nice living, and was well-spoken; a lot of women just couldn't get past the blue-collar nature of his work.

I will say, though, that he's an exception to what I've often seen. I know quite a few blue-collar workers, and while a lot of them are good dudes and some make nice money, they definitely fit the generalized perception of the working class. They like their Bud Lights, football games, and don't really care about books or "finer" things.

• Like 1

It would be appealing to have someone who could work with his hands and knows how to fix things around the house.

The part that would give me pause is that IME construction is typically but not always M-F ours so I would be trying to get lintel to see if our schedules match up enough it's worth trying to date you. I've had to drop a few guys with non-office jobs because we just wouldn't be able to see each other enough for me if things were good.

Okay, you want the ugly truth? Here it is.

I think the reason you get negative responses is because women want a man with a job/career that can GROW. She thinks of the future, and if you're going to be a husband and daddy, working in construction isn't going to support the three (or more) of you.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Okay, you want the ugly truth? Here it is.

I think the reason you get negative responses is because women want a man with a job/career that can GROW. She thinks of the future, and if you're going to be a husband and daddy, working in construction isn't going to support the three (or more) of you.

This is such an absolute fallacy.

• Like 3

OTOH, until 3D printing of houses and commercial/industrial buildings is perfected (it's coming), construction is one of the few industries not currently in danger of displacement through automation or off-shoring. We still need dwellings, office buildings and factories, etc, built here and they still need humans to do that, as well as to repair them. Other blue collar industries, like mine, have been automated and offshored and legions of workers idled or forced to train into other job types.

We'll see a second wave when traditionally 'safe' white collar industries are automated. It's already begun but IMO won't happen substantially in my lifetime.

For now, though, I get it.... quantity has a quality all its own and quantifying a partner's status in an independently verifiable way has value. Social status is important to most people because, well, humans are social and move in groups.

I wonder how Liz used to introduce Larry (Fortensky), the carpenter, at parties. She was like, what, one of the richest and well-known women in the world at the time. ;)

amaysngrace

My second son decided he is leaving school after he earns his associates and is going into either the hvac or electrical trades. Part of me is a little bit sad that he's not looking to graduate with a bs in computer hardware engineering as was the plan but he's just not that passionate about it anymore. I want him to enjoy whatever it is he decides to do since it's going to be a huge part of his life.

If a woman would judge and look down on him for his choices it's probably best she kept on walking so she wouldn't have to tango with mama bear and mama bear's judgements back at her.

• Like 3
GunslingerRoland
This is such an absolute fallacy.

There is some truth that there isn't a lot of growth in that kind of field, unless you start your own business... but the wage thing is totally untrue. Like others in this thread have said, it pays much better than many "educated" jobs.

• Like 1