Dumped My Girlfriend, Now Struggling With My Decision!

• Author

Wait... wait!? She is 52 and going on with this nonsense. You need to cut the cord man... Your way too old to be putting up with this kind of behavior..

This is it man.. I am 42 years old now... I worry how my life will turn out if i continue with this woman..

I could be losing precious time.. and yes she is 52 years old? Mad right..

But i can't help lover her...

I think i have low confidence right now.. as I feel i will never find a better woman?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Quote formatting ~6
  • Author
Hi Soulforge,

Hope you've been treating yourself well in these past 5-6 weeks of No Contact. Truly do.

It's not a question of how risky it is. Rather, what would you do once you find out whatever it is by breaking No Contact? You will most likely be hurt either way:

1. She has a new boyfriend = heartache

2. She hasn't contacted you = constant thoughts of whether she's thinking of you or not = prolonging the grieving process

3. She contacted you = whirlwind of emotions which will probably end up in pain.

At the end of it, breaking No Contact will probably ruin this beautiful day for you. Instead, why not go out, even if for now, for a walk or coffee? It'll help take your mind off things and possibly get you out of a Sunday rut.

Take care of yourself!

Best of healing,

-WhatDEWWWWW

Well this is what has been holding me off from checking my sim card.. I fear i could end up in a much worse situation?

But part of me thinks.. what if she is reaching out, and you completely miss that opportunity

Well this is what has been holding me off from checking my sim card.. I fear i could end up in a much worse situation?

But part of me thinks.. what if she is reaching out, and you completely miss that opportunity

This woman is 52 years old and acts this way. Let that sink in for a bit.

No matter your age, you deserve better. End of story.

That means there is no opportunity missed. Do you truly think this woman has changed within these past number of weeks at the age of 52? Probably not. Like they say, stubborn habits are harder to change as you age.

Love and emotions can do some crazy things. You spent some time with this woman, it's bound to leave an impression on you. Properly grieve the end of it, as painful as it is. As you find yourself again, you will find your self-worth. You wholly deserve someone much better, and you will find her. May not be any time soon, but the sooner you get back on your two feet, the sooner the opportunity may arise.

Probably not the words you're hoping to hear. Stay on the path of healing and No Contact, and the words will stick more and more.

Be good to yourself Soulforge,

-WhatDEWWWWW

• Author

I will give you the shortned versions of the facts!

I am 42 years old.. and she is 52 years old, we where together two years.

01. Within the 3rd month of dating, I was forced to dump her due to her seriously disrespecting me infront of her friend also in a public place.

We got back together, after 3 weeks of being apart.. she apologised for her actions, even tho in my heart I don't feel the apology was genuine, plus she didn't even see what she had done wrong, I pretty much had to spell it out to her.

03. We dated another year, pretty much trouble free & we where both happy.. other than at least 3 somewhat smaller incidents that made me feel disrespected and uneasy.. by then I was invested in her, and did not feel it warrented me dumping her..

But I made it known her behaviour was incorrect..

04. We later moved in together.. she then embarrassed me infront of her family on Christmas Eve 2016..

I confronted her about this.. she dismissed my feelings.. claimed it was all my own fault.. basically left me feeling very upset.. and Christmas was ruined.

My fault.. because of the resentment of her actions, i got angry at her.. and shouted at her.. I should not have done that.. we split up within 4 months of living together, she moved back home.

05. Two weeks apart, we decided to go back to seeing each other LDR again, as we got on better that way.. GOING BACKWARDS INSTEAD OF MOVING FORWARD HERE.

06. Some months back, we where having a conversation about men who behave desperately around attractive woman!

I gave her an example of a new girl who has started in my team at work.. I am her team manager & she is only 23 years old.

I mentioned in general that she is an attractive looking girl, but it's kind of sad to see the lads behaving like desperate dogs around her.. guys should have more self respect than this. We where chatting in general about mens behaviour around good looking woman!

I did not say I fancy her or anything.. also many times she has mentioned to me, if someone is good looking.. especially if it's on the television.

The world is full of attractive people, that does not mean we want to get off with them, when we are in a relationship..

A few weeks later I went to my works belated Christmas Party & she went out with her friends to some bars for her Birthday..

While I was at my party, she started sending me these text messages & I found them to be quite annoying, it felt like she was baiting me, trying to start some drama!

Her - Has Gemma come to the party lol ?

Her - You Do Know Office Romances Do Not Workout? lol

Her - Can you see anyone tasty yet? lol

Her - Are you taking Gemma back home in a taxi with you? lol

I kept my cool, and just laughed it off.. even tho, she kinda spoilt my night for me, so I left the party early.

A few days later, I went out for a meal with my work team as it was my birthday.. when I got home, we talked on whatsaspp, and again she sent me these messages..

Her - Did gemma come to the meal?

Me - Yes she did, all my team came, we had a good night

Her - Well I'm glad you had something pretty to look at while your eating lol

I could tell she was trying to push me again.. so I told her straight, that if I go out with my work colleagues for a meal, it is wrong of her to try make me feel uncomfortable, or guilty about it.

I told her If I go out for a innocent meal it should be drama free.

well as you can imagine, she did not like being called out much.. and I believe she held this as a grudge against me.. she even mentioned a couple of days later, that I AM IN HER BAD BOOKS!

Notice everything has a lol or a haha against it.. she passes this behaviour off as a joke.

I have been told that this is Passive Aggressive behaviour.. that can lead to quite a bit of drama and can damage relationships.

Then a couple of days later, we had a little indifference on whatsapp.. I had to walk away from the conversation as I got an emergency call from my sister..

She felt like I was ignoring her.. I was not.. I was on the phone.. When I came back to my tablet.. she had left this message on whatsapp..

CHARGE UP YOUR PHONE DIK HEAD, HA HA

The next day I called her out on this... She again claimed it was a JOKE or banter as she described it..

NOW THE FINAL ACT THAT LEAD ME TO DUMP HER..

We had a date due for that week.. but I was working on the day she could come over to stay..

So at her request I decided to do a shift swap at work in order for us to meet.. it is not easy to get a shift swap, it has to go to our planning team etc.. and she is aware that it can be a difficult process.

This swap meant, I finish work one hour later than I usually do..

I sent her a text on the date day, and said I will see you around 8.45pm as I need some extra time to get ready, shower, shave etc.

Normally I see her around 8.15pm so its only half an hour difference..

I have been fine with her running late in the past, so it should have not been a big deal.

So she sends me this text message..

Her - DO YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE IT LOL

So I called her up... I told her that I had a later finish, and she needs to be a bit more patient with me, as I just need some extra time to shower, change etc.. just be patient.

She then said to me I WAS JOKING

At this point I got a little annoyed with her, because everything just seemed like a JOKE to her.. she was using this as a excuses for everything.

So i felt I had to say something..

ME - Look you need to start thinking about some of these jokes, as they are not always coming across as funny..

At this point she got annoyed, and said, I'll just leave it, then and she CUT me off phone.

She didn't bother coming for the date.. 4 days went by and I heard NOTHING from her.

I felt disrespected.. she didn't even call back, apologise or anything..

After 4 days went by I just knew I cannot expect this kind of behaviour any longer...

I Sent her a text and DUMPED her... she then accused ME of treating her BADLY

I knew cutting me off the phone was a POWER move by her.. If I went crawling back to her after this kind of chit.. things would only get much worse.. she would think she can get away with this kinda crap all of the time.

The whole jokes things seems to be passive aggressive behaviour, but I believe she was being like this because of her own insecurities.. and she was projecting them in a very negative way..

Sabotaging the relationship... I did some things wrong too, but in that was a bit earlier in the relationship.. I shouted at her once, when i felt like she pushed me too far..

Also I did not communicate well with her sometimes..

We both didn't.. it would become a proving who is right match.. instead of using clear adult communication..

5 weeks now.. i have blocked her.. but there are many things I miss.. and still I love her..

Is walking away the only option here??????

• Author

I believe alot of her actions where driven by insecurities..

She thought i was ignoring her.. she felt threatened by this girl who i dont even give a single chit about..

Maybe she thought i didn't want to meet her on the date night... maybe i am just making excuses for her.. or trying to understand her!

I have read up about gas lighting.. also all this stuff about her joking etc.. is passive aggressive behaviour!!!

Possible cluster b???

Scarlett.O'hara

Those messages were sent by a 52 year old woman?! They honestly sound like they were sent from a 15 year old.

Walking away was the only sensible option here. If she hasn't learnt how to behave like a mature adult by now she never will unfortunately.

Non of this seems like a big deal to me to be honest.

A little jealousy just shows she cares about you at the end of the day.

At 50+ years old it's no surprise she feels intimidated by an attractive young woman.

Just my two pence.

• Author
Non of this seems like a big deal to me to be honest.

A little jealousy just shows she cares about you at the end of the day.

At 50+ years old it's no surprise she feels intimidated by an attractive young woman.

Just my two pence.

Even tho this kind of behaviour is childish, and it made me feel very uncomfortable..

I still tolerated it..

But to cut me off the phone? Don't bother turning up for our date... not contacting me again, even after 5 days have gone by???

That okay too?

• Author

She makes snide remarks while i am out with friends.. I tollerate It

She makes snide remarks when I go out for my birthday meal.. I tollerate it

She calls me a dikhead on my birthday.. I tollerate it

She puts pressure on me on date day.. I aske her to be patient and think about her jokes as they are sometimes not funny

I get cut off the phone rudely.. and not bothered with again???

How can i let this go without teaching her, she can do what she likes?

Are you looking to be her father? I'm confused. You can't let her go because she's making terrible mistakes?

Unfortunately we can't save everyone, nor are we responsible for doing that. My ex has a serious mental illness that requires a lover to also be a care taker that walks on eggshells. Promised me a lovely life and got my hopes up, then I meet her in person and trigger her illness and after that takes everything back. I tried for months to help her, but she sat in her darkness.

People need to find their own way in life ultimately. Sounds like she has a lot of red flags that you focus too much on rather than how much you actually respect her as a partner. If the idea of reconciliation is up in the air for both of you, you must first focus on something besides her red flags, because if you guys did reconcile you'd be back here and telling us how the second time didn't work because of the same issues.

• Like 2
  • Author
Are you looking to be her father? I'm confused. You can't let her go because she's making terrible mistakes?

Unfortunately we can't save everyone, nor are we responsible for doing that. My ex has a serious mental illness that requires a lover to also be a care taker that walks on eggshells. Promised me a lovely life and got my hopes up, then I meet her in person and trigger her illness and after that takes everything back. I tried for months to help her, but she sat in her darkness.

People need to find their own way in life ultimately. Sounds like she has a lot of red flags that you focus too much on rather than how much you actually respect her as a partner. If the idea of reconciliation is up in the air for both of you, you must first focus on something besides her red flags, because if you guys did reconcile you'd be back here and telling us how the second time didn't work because of the same issues.

There are many things I do respect about her.. there are also many good qualities there too..

why else would I be struggling so much to let her go.. why else have I been trying to make it work, for 2 years..

but when I am being cut off the phone... then ignored for days on end.. what am I supposed to do..

I cannot just stay silent & let her carry on behaving in a ridiculous manner.

Yes she may have felt insecure when I went out.. but that is no reason to sabotage the relationship, with constant snide remarks.

some times you have to stick up for yourself & voice your opinion.

Well, you don't have to worry about her any more. You're no longer in a relationship. You can't fix the way she acts. She's not changing. Not at her age. I would not be able to tolerate her crap, especially at her age. I do understand you have feelings for her despite the crap, but do you honestly don't feel that you couldn't find a better fit as a partner than her? I would guess that the answer would be a resounding YES.

• Like 1
There are many things I do respect about her.. there are also many good qualities there too..

why else would I be struggling so much to let her go.. why else have I been trying to make it work, for 2 years..

but when I am being cut off the phone... then ignored for days on end.. what am I supposed to do..

I cannot just stay silent & let her carry on behaving in a ridiculous manner.

Yes she may have felt insecure when I went out.. but that is no reason to sabotage the relationship, with constant snide remarks.

some times you have to stick up for yourself & voice your opinion.

You know what you need to do? Make a list of the things you want to do in your life and go do them. The more you worry about this woman and put her on a pedestal the more your life is being driven into the mud.

Yeah, it sucks trying to get over someone you loved, especially when you know they are making a huge mistake. But that's their mistakes to make. You deserve better than someone that's going to treat you like crap.

You've tried for 2 years and what has changed?

Drop her ass. Go NC. If she contacts you ignore her. You're done putting up with her crap and the more you show her attention because of her bad attitude the more she's going to have that bad attitude. People do what gets them results. You obviously aren't because you've been stuck in the same spot for 2 years

• Author
You know what you need to do? Make a list of the things you want to do in your life and go do them. The more you worry about this woman and put her on a pedestal the more your life is being driven into the mud.

Yeah, it sucks trying to get over someone you loved, especially when you know they are making a huge mistake. But that's their mistakes to make. You deserve better than someone that's going to treat you like crap.

You've tried for 2 years and what has changed?

Drop her ass. Go NC. If she contacts you ignore her. You're done putting up with her crap and the more you show her attention because of her bad attitude the more she's going to have that bad attitude. People do what gets them results. You obviously aren't because you've been stuck in the same spot for 2 years

Those 2 years where rocky..

but to be fair, one year of it was very good.. we even moved in after that year.

but things where always on a knives edge, because she would usually say or do something, sooner or later that would end up pushing my boundaries, getting me either upset or at times angry!

I then became a different person, and would sometimes get angry with her.. this is out of my character tho.. I don't consider myself an angry person, but on the odd occasion I did get a little angry.. I think just two occasions in the whole two years together.

One time she fell out with me.. simply because I accidently yawned when we where talking on the phone.. I mean how ridiculous is that..

I was very tired & a accidental yawn came out.. she accused me of, suggesting I was bored with her.. lol WTF

this resulted in us not speaking for nearly 3 days while we where LDR..

Who in the right mind creates such a big drama out of a yawn!

As you will know I Dumped this girl within 3 months of getting together.. I made it clear to her after we got back together, that anymore incidents of disrespect and I WILL WALK AWAY

cutting me off the phone, blowing me off for our date, then not even contacting me was the last straw... NO MORE

If she didn't like me calling out her behaviour that day, then she should have thought about it, before constantly baiting me, and considering everything to be a big joke.

I tried my very best to be patient with her!

• Author

been thinking long and hard today..

It's seems like an impossible situation with my ex.. I can do everything in my power to try and make things work with her.. And I am willing to do that.

but as soon as she misbehaves, or does something to upset me.. I will have to raise that with her.. and more thank likely she will not take this well.. she is defensive and dismissive..

I will then have to walk away.. Again

Past Behaviour Predicts Future Behaviour.. SEEMS LIKE I CANNOT WIN HERE

been thinking long and hard today..

It's seems like an impossible situation with my ex.. I can do everything in my power to try and make things work with her.. And I am willing to do that.

but as soon as she misbehaves, or does something to upset me.. I will have to raise that with her.. and more thank likely she will not take this well.. she is defensive and dismissive..

I will then have to walk away.. Again

Past Behaviour Predicts Future Behaviour.. SEEMS LIKE I CANNOT WIN HERE

your making a bad move

• Author

I have a very simple question?

The week before I dumped her, I felt she was baiting me, pushing me..

I tried to stay quiet, but eventually felt like i need to point out this isn't good or funny behaviour.

So when i was on the phone to her, i told her she needs to think about her jokes, as they don't come across as funny sometimes..

She couldn't take any criticism.. She cut me off the phon, didn't turn up for our date, then not heard from her in 4 days..

Do you believe this is seriously unacceptable behaviour? Would you people walk away from this kind of crap????

I have a very simple question?

The week before I dumped her, I felt she was baiting me, pushing me..

I tried to stay quiet, but eventually felt like i need to point out this isn't good or funny behaviour.

So when i was on the phone to her, i told her she needs to think about her jokes, as they don't come across as funny sometimes..

She couldn't take any criticism.. She cut me off the phon, didn't turn up for our date, then not heard from her in 4 days..

Do you believe this is seriously unacceptable behaviour? Would you people walk away from this kind of crap????

You clearly just need to find a better partner that you can trust 100%.

Do you trust her 100% Does she respect you?

• Author
You clearly just need to find a better partner that you can trust 100%.

Do you trust her 100% Does she respect you?

Do i trust her? I have to say no.. i doubt she would make a very good partner long term.. i am very cautious of this.

As for respect? For the majority of time yes... but when she gets annoyed, it seems her character changes.. and she becomes nasty.. defensive.. also lacks empathy or understanding..

Plus i feel she doesn't even realise how she acts most of the time.

Do i trust her? I have to say no.. i doubt she would make a very good partner long term.. i am very cautious of this.

As for respect? For the majority of time yes... but when she gets annoyed, it seems her character changes.. and she becomes nasty.. defensive.. also lacks empathy or understanding..

Do i trust her? I have to say no.. i doubt she would make a very good partner long term.. i am very cautious of this. -- Then I absolutely do not understand why all the debate, rehashing, rethinking, overthinking, mind-f'ing that's been going on in this thread.

At this point I'm not only questioning her suitability for a relationship, I'm questioning yours. Anyone who puts up with and puts themselves through the kinds of stuff you're putting yourself through for this woman, has some significant "issues" of their own -- namely, desperate to have a relationship -- any relationship -- so long as you can say you have a relationship.

You've made your decision. The reason people make DECISIONS is so they don't have to keep doing this kind of stuff to themselves. When you make a decision, you move forward with that decision. There is no looking back or re-thinking otherwise what's the purpose of making decisions???????

• Like 3
  • Author
Do i trust her? I have to say no.. i doubt she would make a very good partner long term.. i am very cautious of this. -- Then I absolutely do not understand why all the debate, rehashing, rethinking, overthinking, mind-f'ing that's been going on in this thread.

At this point I'm not only questioning her suitability for a relationship, I'm questioning yours. Anyone who puts up with and puts themselves through the kinds of stuff you're putting yourself through for this woman, has some significant "issues" of their own -- namely, desperate to have a relationship -- any relationship -- so long as you can say you have a relationship.

You've made your decision. The reason people make DECISIONS is so they don't have to keep doing this kind of stuff to themselves. When you make a decision, you move forward with that decision. There is no looking back or re-thinking otherwise what's the purpose of making decisions???????

I promise you.. i NEVER let her get away with too much... yes there was one or two big incidents.. and those where one too many!

And the rest where quite subtle.. difficult to walk away from when your heavily invested in someone and in love.

And yes i agree.. i should just stick with my decision... my problem is i am too forgiving and like to think people deserve a chance!

Its the fact that we had a period of the relationship that was really good, that i guess i am holding onto.

I need to get my chit together... and recognise this person is toxic for me... being single is better then being with someone who brings so much drama and negativity to my life..

I will try to be proud of myself from here on.. from walking away from this!

• Like 1
I promise you.. i NEVER let her get away with too much... yes there was one or two big incidents.. and those where one too many!

And the rest where quite subtle.. difficult to walk away from when your heavily invested in someone and in love.

And yes i agree.. i should just stick with my decision... my problem is i am too forgiving and like to think people deserve a chance!

Its the fact that we had a period of the relationship that was really good, that i guess i am holding onto.

I need to get my chit together... and recognise this person is toxic for me... being single is better then being with someone who brings so much drama and negativity to my life..

I will try to be proud of myself from here on.. from walking away from this!

So if you have a stock that has a period of "Highs" .. your going to pull out when the stocks reach zero. Its understandable if you are going thru rough times...but I think the true value of this relationship has shown its ugly head

Those who hold on to these stocks need to pull their investment out and only when this stock proves steady returns and healthy mutual benefits do you place your investments back in... but from what your telling me this stock is bearish.

• Like 1

It seems to me that - although you feel she respects you the "majority of the time" - she actually does NOT respect you much at all. With what I have read regarding her behaviour towards you (ignoring you for days on end, lashing out at you, cutting you off on the phone, baiting you, etc.), the fact that you have allowed her to treat you this way means that, all this time, you have been enabling her (even if that was not your intention).

People will treat you the way you ALLOW THEM to treat you. IMHO, you should have cut contact with her a looonnngg time ago. It's even more disturbing that this woman is a mature woman (in her 50s if I remember correctly) and is behaving in this manner. At her age, she should know better than to treat anyone this way. It is most likely that she will never be able to change her ways and is destined to repeat her behaviour towards you over and over again - as long as YOU allow it to continue.

I realize you feel that each person deserves a chance to make things right; I used to feel this way as well. :( But, when someone repeatedly mistreats you and verbally (and emotionally) abuses you over and over and OVER again - it's time to cut the cord. Seriously.

You have a good and kind heart, albeit somewhat naive and too forgiving. The longer you put up with her behaviour, the more emotionally damaged and hurt you will become. You deserve so much better than this.

Cut your losses NOW...before it's too late. God bless you and good luck. Be strong and stand up for yourself!

• Like 1
  • Author
It seems to me that - although you feel she respects you the "majority of the time" - she actually does NOT respect you much at all. With what I have read regarding her behaviour towards you (ignoring you for days on end, lashing out at you, cutting you off on the phone, baiting you, etc.), the fact that you have allowed her to treat you this way means that, all this time, you have been enabling her (even if that was not your intention).

People will treat you the way you ALLOW THEM to treat you. IMHO, you should have cut contact with her a looonnngg time ago. It's even more disturbing that this woman is a mature woman (in her 50s if I remember correctly) and is behaving in this manner. At her age, she should know better than to treat anyone this way. It is most likely that she will never be able to change her ways and is destined to repeat her behaviour towards you over and over again - as long as YOU allow it to continue.

I realize you feel that each person deserves a chance to make things right; I used to feel this way as well. :( But, when someone repeatedly mistreats you and verbally (and emotionally) abuses you over and over and OVER again - it's time to cut the cord. Seriously.

You have a good and kind heart, albeit somewhat naive and too forgiving. The longer you put up with her behaviour, the more emotionally damaged and hurt you will become. You deserve so much better than this.

Cut your losses NOW...before it's too late. God bless you and good luck. Be strong and stand up for yourself!

Hi thank you for your lengthy reply.. it really means alot to me.. thankyou

Just like to say, maybe I have given the wrong impression here... it might sound like she has been behaving like this throughout the whole relationship and i have just been accepting and overlooking this behaviour.. this is not the case!

The very first time she disrespected me... I dumped her for it immediately.. but after her apologising a few weeks later, i took her back. (Mistake)

After that for around a year things where pretty good between us, apart from a couple of minor instances.. which i overlooked because, by then i was deep in the relationship, even living together and in love with her.

The cutting me off the phone situation has only EVER happened ONCE.. in the two years I was with her..

The situation with her baiting me, also calling me a dik head all happened in the space of TWO weeks.

And i immediately ENDED the relationship... once was enough for me.. she will never get that opportunity again.

Most of this crappy behaviour happened in a space of two weeks, just before i finished things with her.

Truth is i should have walked away the very first time in the beginning of the relationship when she acted like this.. but i guess we live and we learn.

I will not be this forgiving ever again.

• Author

She is blocked and will remain blocked for good..

I am 42 years old.. at my age i accept a relationship built on mutual relationship and understanding..

I have no future with her.. so Walking Away is the right thing to do.

It will be difficult.. but once my feelings for her start to disperse, i think I will see things a lot more clearly, and it will sink in that i defo did the right thing!

• Like 1