Broken heart hurts so bad

But if he gave up some golf time, he would start to resent me. In the beginning I asked him on at least 3 separate occasions, "are you sure you want a relationship with me, it seems you don't really have room for me in your life "

His response was "there's plenty of room for you in my life "

I think this is where the anger stage will hit me hard. If he doesn't have time for a relationship, why pursue me???

Hope that made sense. Thanks for your reply btw

You also noted you move around a lot.. if he did spent the time with you camping and etc. Do you see your self staying planted for say 5 or 10 years?

My question I guess is do you have multiple long term relationship that you terminate?

Also, have you ever gone golfing with him or these parties?

Edited by Sweetfish
  • Like 1
It all worked out but I'll never forget how he said 'I'm going golfing' and just left me there alone.

Wow.. I really think you did the right thing here.

• Like 1
  • Author

He actually never went camping because there was always some golf event or party that his friends expected him to be and and he just HAD to go.

I lived in one state until I was 12. My dad relocated with the family. I moved to another state with a boyfriend when I was very young. That didn't work out so I moved back. I stayed in that state until 4 years ago because I just wanted a change of scenery and start fresh.

I'm definitely someone that needs stability and roots. I'm just not opposed to moving to expand my horizons.

I would have loved to settle down with him and make a life together.

Golf was the only thing he never invited me to. He takes it way to seriously to have me there.

• Author

The more I read my own words and the replies, the angrier I get. Hope this is a good sign.

Especially when I think of how much I so desperately tried to communicate with him. It was like a door slammed in my face.

I would have loved to settle down with him and make a life together.

Well, I'm not saying this well happen, but just preparing you so that you're ready, just in case it does. Watch out for a "revelation" where the guy realizes what/who is most important and says he will change.

From what I have learned, people cannot change so quickly, even if they might really want to.

edit:

The more I read my own words and the replies, the angrier I get. Hope this is a good sign.

I could actually pick up on that, if only a little bit, lol... Totally normal and you will probably go through a number of emotions.

• Like 1

Broken hearts are so painful,I know I've been there like probably everyone has. The best thing is to surround yourself with friends,companions you can express your feelings,hang your head on a shoulder,be there in person or not to just listen to you and to let you know it is going to okay. With broken hearts time does heal most of the pain if not all. It is the time getting to there that is hard. I hope you are going to be okay and heal. Hang in there.

• Like 1
  • Author

I can't say enough how much the support from this forum means to me. Thank you all so much!

Today was weird. Went from sad to angry. Back and forth all day.

I'm mad at myself more. It's a cliche but, we teach people how to treat us.

There were a couple times I ended things in a civilized way, told him I felt like a relationship wasn't important to him. (At least with me)

He actually showed up at my door in tears and I could tell he was genuinely upset. It felt awful. I definitely didn't want him to hurt like that and because of me.

Looking back, I really believe he just didn't get it. Not sure if he ever will but I guess that doesn't matter now.

I was able to choke down some subway for lunch today. Couldn't finish it. Had horrible knots in my stomach but kinda happy that I at least tried. I'm hoping that means I'm healing, if only a little.

• Like 1

Give yourself couple months and you will see this situation very different.

Ask yourself if what you asked him to do for you was reasonable and if this is something a person in a normal healthy relationship should expect a partner to do.

Ask yourself if you would do this for him if places switched?

I also tried to explain and explain and he just either didn't see it this way which prompted me to explain more or disagree or finally apologized under pressure to turn around to the same selfish behavior again. Once I even told him you are very selfish person. He looked at me and told me I know that I am, but I am trying to work on it. They know. They choose not to see or not understand bc then they would have to acknowledge that what you ask is reasonable and actually do something about it and just don't want to go there.

The bottom line is that your needs in this relationship were not at least as important at his needs. You would have to bend and give and compromise over and over and accept that this is just how he is. This is not what normal and healthy relationship look like and deep down you know this. It has nothing to do with different life interest he is just simply very selfish man.

• Like 1
  • Author

Vera345, everything you said made perfect sense.

No, I would never do only what I want only when I want, put my friends and hobbies before him and actually expect him to stick around. I don't think any self respecting person would ever put up with that.

When we first met, I asked him if he had a dog (I have 2 and love dogs) he said no, I could never take care of a dog. At least he realizes that so some poor dog won't suffer. That should have been my first clue.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

• Author

Waking up today, I don't have that sick sadness (thank you, God)

I have knots in my stomach but, it feels more like angry anxiety or something.

I think I should join a gym and hit a punching bag.

He's definitely one of the most selfish people I've ever met!! Makes me furious when I think about how he just expected me to just waste my life away loving him.

Also mad at myself for putting up with it for so long. All the tears and frustration I felt.

I do however feel really lucky I didn't waste years of my life with him!

I just want to forget the entire experience and be over it!

I do however feel really lucky I didn't waste years of my life with him!

I just want to forget the entire experience and be over it!

Be careful that you do not let your anger turn into spite. Also, if you forgot the entire experience, you might repeat it.

• Author

Bluefeather,

I agree. I don't want to become bitter. Truthfully, I'm a little afraid of the anger stage even though I know it's an important part of healing.

I'm not a person that holds grudges and I'm generally a very happy and positive person. That also makes me afraid. I'm not really comfortable being angry. I actually hate it.

I think joining a gym or some type of heavy physical activity would help. (I hope!)

• Like 1
  • Author

HI LS,

I hope it's ok to update how my days are going. It helps so much to write this all out and hopefully help anyone else who may be going through something similar.

Anyway, I would definitely say I'm in the midst of the anger stage. I was thinking of something that happened early in our relationship that still haunts me a little but also makes me incredibly angry for not seeing how selfish he is (even though I truly believe he doesn't realize how his selfishness hurts other people, mainly me)

Somewhat hard to talk about but I think it may help me feel better so here goes,

We had been dating maybe a month and had been intimate a couple times prior.

He invited me over to his house that night to have some drinks and just relax and hang out.

On my way to his place I texted him "I can't wait to see you and I'm jumping in your bed as soon as I get there"

He sent back some smiley faces and said how great that would be and can't wait (something to that effect)

I arrive and I'm a little nervous so I have a couple shooters before I go in. But I really wanted to do this because I wanted to be fun and exciting. I also missed him.

I go in, we hug and kiss and I happily run to his bedroom while undressing, jump in his bed and yell "get in here!"

Before I go on, I think we all can agree, that when a woman gets naked like that, it's the most vulnerable she can ever be with the man she loves. It's the ultimate compliment to him because it shows an incredible amount of trust.

Ok, so he comes in and actually says "can we wait until the hockey game is over" ( it was on TV )

I was absolutely crushed and horrified but giggled 'sure' or something like that. I got dressed and went to sit next to him on the couch feeling more embarrassed than I've ever been.

I would probably have left but didn't want to drive after doing two shots of whiskey.

I sat there for a couple minutes but it was so awkward for me. (He was pretty much oblivious and into the game )

I thought the only way out of this embarrassment is to just play it off and pretend I wasn't crushed. I said "I'm going to your bed, with or without you" I gave a dumb laugh and went back to his room.

He followed and then asked if he could turn the tv on in the bedroom. Yes, he really said that!!!

I said no (at this point I just wanted to get it over with and thought for some reason finishing whatI started would make me feel less stupid )

We had sex and I could tell he was preoccupied.

Anyway, the rest of the night went ok but that should have been a HUGE RED FLAG!

I asked him later, " why did you invite me over when the game was on" (I had no idea it was even on that night)

He said because it wasn't that big of a deal because it's not even his team! !! WHAT???? He basically humiliated me for no reason!

He truly didn't get how much that hurt but I knew I would never try to have fun spontaneous sex with him again.

I figured he must not be into me and politely ended it a couple days later.

He seemed genuinely crushed and confused and talked about how much he likes me and please don't do this.

Ummm, okay

Anyway, not really a point to sharing this but like I said, it helps me feel a little better and helps sort my emotions in all of this.

Mostly angry at myself these days for not walking out the door and never looking back whether it hurt him or not.

First, what you did sounds like an awesome thing for a girlfriend to do.

Second, try not to beat yourself up over these things. Live and learn. I don't think self-punishment is necessary, if you can learn something from it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Bluefeather, thank you.

Yeah, I'm just glad it didn't effect my self esteem (in the long run)

He's not a malicious person, just clueless and selfish.

I'll definitely take some lessons from this experience. I don't want to run away screaming if a potentially nice guy says he likes golf or hockey.

• Like 1
I don't want to run away screaming if a potentially nice guy says he likes golf or hockey.

I also hope you'll still be as playful as you described, because that would be seriously appreciated by the right man.

• Like 1

Crystal, if it means anything reading your story about how you jumped into bed and how he was preoccupied with hockey really helped me to understand further into the mind of a woman. With my breakup, which was absolutely devistating, I made lot of terrible, terrible blunders that I've come to regret immensely. I've learned tremendously and no way will I ever act a fool in my next relationship. I will never take my future lover for granted ever again. These small moments like that of you and your man in his bedroom are especially important, more important then any stupid sport, movie or whatever. A relationship between two lovers who are in accord with one another in a very intimate level is so important. Thank you for your insight:)

Edited by LitTunnel
  • Like 1
  • Author

Bluefeather, I'll definitely remain playful and fun in the bedroom. Thankfully, I could realize even at the time he was acting like an idiot, as embarrassing as that was.

LtTunnel, I'm glad my sharing has helped even if a little. It really helps me to get this out so thank you also.

It got me thinking when you mentioned special moments between a couple and it's starting to hit me how many he ruined because of his selfishness.

This was also pretty early in our relationship but one morning he took me to a diner for breakfast at a place he had been going to since he was a kid. One of those hole in the wall places (I LOVE diners like that and still pretty new to the city so I always get to see something new)

Anyway, it was one of those diners that you walk into and you just know it has a story. A place where there must be so many memories for so many people. The linoleum was peeling from the floor and had those 50s style formica tables. I thought it was cool right away. I also liked being able to be in a place where I could kinda see into his past. Almost like a time machine.

So we're sitting there and he's telling me the history of this place and I'm having a really fun time. I'm then presented with the most beautiful stack of pancakes I've ever seen. (I normally don't take pics of my food unless it's something so awesome, I want other people to know about, or a time like this when it seemed special and I wanted a memory of this morning with him)

I take a pic and go to post and he says " wait, if you post that on fb, don't tag me" of course I asked why and he said "I don't want anyone to know I come here " he said it kinda coldly too.

It was like he was embarrassed of the place.

Of course that stung pretty bad because I guess he was more worried about impressing his Facebook "friends" than me. I was a little hurt so I didn't save the pic and that place lost it's charm after that.

It's funny that, he's so worried about how he's perceived on social media from strangers but doesn't care how I feel. (At least thats how it seemed to me)

If he lost his job, I would have worked overtime without a second thought to help him, if he was sick I would have taken care of him, if he was hungry I would cook for him, if he cried, I would hold him, if he needed a kidney, I probably would have given him one.

I wonder how many of his "friends " can say that.

Just to be clear, I'm not a doormat, I expect the same treatment in return, and that's why I needed to walk away. I wasn't being treated as openly and lovingly.

• Author

Hi guys,

At the moment I'm so angry right now (venting, please bear with me )

Not necessarily angry that he's a selfish tool. Like I said before, he works hard, pays his bills, he's entitled to live however he feels will make him the happiest. If that means golf, bars and being a Facebook celebrity, that's his choice.

What I'm so angry about us if that wasn't the kind of life I want with a man (explained this a million times ) why not just let me go? Why fight for me at all? Why try so hard to convince me I'm making a mistake and he loves me more than anything? ?

I mean, would he really want a woman that has no life of her own to just wait for him or follow him around?

This anger is hitting hard today. I think I did most of my crying while still in the relationship.

I know I'm technically the dumper and I hate the fact that I made him feel so sad and heartbroken (he told me several times his heart is not a yo-yo)

I'm just so mad at the situation. I'm mad at him. I'm mad at myself. Just really mad!!

I have a full weekend planned so hopefully that will help. I'm really uncomfortable with this anger even though I know it's necessary to fully heal.

Thank you guys for your support though. It helps.

Hi guys,

At the moment I'm so angry right now (venting, please bear with me )

Not necessarily angry that he's a selfish tool. Like I said before, he works hard, pays his bills, he's entitled to live however he feels will make him the happiest. If that means golf, bars and being a Facebook celebrity, that's his choice.

What I'm so angry about us if that wasn't the kind of life I want with a man (explained this a million times ) why not just let me go? Why fight for me at all? Why try so hard to convince me I'm making a mistake and he loves me more than anything? ?

I mean, would he really want a woman that has no life of her own to just wait for him or follow him around?

This anger is hitting hard today. I think I did most of my crying while still in the relationship.

I know I'm technically the dumper and I hate the fact that I made him feel so sad and heartbroken (he told me several times his heart is not a yo-yo)

I'm just so mad at the situation. I'm mad at him. I'm mad at myself. Just really mad!!

I have a full weekend planned so hopefully that will help. I'm really uncomfortable with this anger even though I know it's necessary to fully heal.

Thank you guys for your support though. It helps.

Crystal, I'm ashamed to admit this but I was behaving similarly to your ex, with my ex. My ex was giving me so many signs but I failed to realize my wrong doings. To be honest, I was oblivious to my actions. I simply wasn't equipped at the time to understand how to treat a lover the proper way. I too was selfish. I thought of my self first and thought of her when convenient. I saw her change soooo much towards the end and the whole time I thought it was her just being bitchyy when in reality it was me not being a man and acting a fool. But the point being is, again, I had NO CLUE that I was making these foolish mistakes; I didn't know what I didn't know. This eventually turned her off completely. Then she started testing me and I failed by acting like a bafoom, calling, texting, made me look more like an idiot. Needless to say, even though I broke it off, she pretty much dumped me in the end because when I wanted her back she wanted nothing to do with me and I don't blame her, not one bit. I simply did NOT treat her the way she was so badly wanting to be treated. Boy, the regret.

The point of me saying this is because after she left me for good, I was devastated, absolutely devastated. This led me to learn more about myself and how things went wrong and now I finally know that it was me all along. I failed as a partner to make her happy. I failed to act selflessly. I failed to give her the intimacy and attention she wanted so badly. She gave me all the signs, I failed to see!

Now I was certainly not 100% wrong. She wasn't exactly an Angel herself but needless to say it was mostly my wrong doing. The point is your man is going to need to feel the pain of your loss long enough to where he's going to go in search of why things went wrong and only then will he learn his wrong doings, just like I did. You see, what my ex did to me was so harsh and cold that I literally almost lost my mind. Heck, I'm still devastated. But this time I know. I know to be the best man that I can be. But it only happened cause she cut me off cold turkey. Literally cold turkey and that's when I went on my quest to find out what happened and what I needed to do to change, and now I know. Now I know. No more excuses for me and hopefully this experience for your ex will send him on his quest to learn about himself and how to treat a woman and hopefully, fingers crossed, he makes the changes and comes back properly and shows you through action. I know I've changed 100%. In fact looking back I cringe at some of the things I did with my ex so that's a positive sign, hopefully he could do the same.

Look, I'm not saying this to keep hope of you two to reconcile but perhaps in the future and things do change maybe, just maybe you two can get back and become a much stronger unit. But he's going to have to prove it to you beyond a reasonable doubt that hes chsnged otherwise move on honey and hopefully the next man in your life will do all those things you desire. Then you two can live happily ever after and have a million babies and grow old together and die in peace:):):)

Edited by LitTunnel
  • Like 1
  • Author

Hi LitTunel,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I also (like your ex) exhibited behavior that I'm not proud of at all. I became someone I didn't like at the end of our relationship. Said so many things out of hurt and frustration and I'm sure he saw me as "difficult" or "bitchy"

It's nice to see you were able to see the pain you unintentionally caused your ex and grow from it. That's seriously a small miracle in my opinion.

In my case I really don't see him ever growing or even admitting to himself that he did anything wrong. He's 55 and I'm pretty sure he'll die a selfish lonely man and blame everyone but himself. Sad to see but I guess that's not my problem anymore.

I guarantee you right at this moment, he's either hitting golf balls, sitting on a bar stool and/or positioning his cocktails for pics on Facebook so that everyone can see he's such a "cool" guy. Very doubtful he's taking any responsibility for the demise of our relationship.

I've blocked and deleted everything, even pictures of us. (Something I've never done before )

I'm determined to move on and stay strong.

There are ways he could contact me, I guess but he'd have to make a huge effort and I just can't see it.

I definitely wasn't perfect either. There are many things I would do differently so hopefully I can take those mistakes and learn from them.

Thank you again so much for sharing. Gives me hope (not nessesarily with him) but hope that some people really do want to change the things that hurt their partner and ultimately themselves. Good for you! I really mean that.

I'm glad we can help each other during this time and I'm sorry for your pain too.

• Author

LitTunel,

Forgot to mention, thank you for the"hope"

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love for him to understand how selfish he is and how much that hurt me. I honestly, just don't see it happening.

Like I said, I think it's a small miracle you were able to see your mistakes. It's awesome and sadly, rare. Only my opinion.

LitTunel,

Forgot to mention, thank you for the"hope"

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love for him to understand how selfish he is and how much that hurt me. I honestly, just don't see it happening.

Like I said, I think it's a small miracle you were able to see your mistakes. It's awesome and sadly, rare. Only my opinion.

Crystal, if he truly loved you but just didn't know how to show it then he is suffering. If he's suffering then it means he wants to make things right. If he's going to make things right then he's going to try to get you back. THIS is when you deny him 100% because at this point he's STILL not ready. Believe me when I say this. At this point he's going to either say "screw it" and just give up altogether (which if I was you I would be okay with) OR he's going to lose his marbles and work even harder to get you back (this will take time). And when I mean work harder I mean he's going to realize chasing you was not working (since you've denied him) so he's going to begin his journey of introspection. THIS is when he'll begin the difficult process to learn about himself, just like I did. And just like your ex who had his hobbies, I did too. Plenty. I basically was so sick to my stomach that I had lost my ex in the manner in which I did that I gave up almost all my hobbies that I once loved, altogether. I was THAT depressed. I was THAT devastated. The truth of the matter was even if my ex had taken me back, say like a couple months later, I STILL would have failed eventually because I had NOT learned my lesson yet.

See, it took me a while to search within myself. A loooong while. I did a crapp load of reading and introspection. A TONS WORTH in fact. At one point I was so lost I didn't know who I was anymore. I can't even begin to explain the darkness I experienced. I had meltdowns after meltdowns after meltdowns. I was having full blown panic attacks. I had reached the darkest of dark places in my life where I was thinking I was literally going crazy. It's been almost 9 months and just now I'm beginning to see the light (hopefully:). I've let go of hatred towards God and stopped blaming outside forces for all my troubles. I took full 100% responsibility for my actions and slowly but surely I'm coming back to life. It's been hell but hopefully I'm on the right path. Who knows.

Trust me hun, I was pretty bad, probably worse then your ex to be honest. I had NO CLUE what I was doing. I mean I certainly wasn't a bad person. I'm loving and caring and we had our fun moments, sex was fab, but I just wasn't able to understand that women desire intimacy, connection, our presence. I was completely oblivious. Heck, I thought as long as we had sex and talked on the phone every so often and went out once or twice a week that it was all good and she was happy. And even when we were together we had NO CONNECTION. I simply wasn't doing the things I once did when we first started going out. I gave up on courting her altogether. I stopped being the fun and charismatic guy that I KNOW I am. She lost interest. Just. Like. You.

YOU SEE!!! That's how bad I was. I just didn't know. I absolutely SUCKED as a boyfriend. SUCKED. Now, I only pray in due time I can meet someone I'm compatible with so that I can be the total opposite. NEVER again am I EVER going to behave like that, EVER, again. I'm actually excited but also scared because most the time I think I might never meet someone compatible but that's just the negative side of me talking. And unlike your ex, sadly, my job situation is sorta bad because I don't feel financially stable. I have to put in a ton of hours just to make a decent living and I'm in my early 40s, but I'm working the best that I can to change that. I certainly don't want my future lover/partner to feel insecure due to financial reasons because that would devastate me if that got in the way. I know women need a man to be financially stable. This is what scares me and sorta is holding me back and insecure. But again, I'm working on it and hopefully, just hopefully, things will start changing for the better. I DO deserve it after-all.

But the truth of the matter is he won't change if you allow him back into your life or if you run back to him. He'll continue his act, 100%, TRUST ME and you'll be back in square one. The ONLY way he'll change is if you deny him 100% and that means total and utter NC. Give him NOTHING. NOTHING!!! He's going to lose his mind. Trust me. THIS is when he'll be forced to change but if you let him back in too early, oh boy, he's going to go right back to doing his same-ol, same-ol.

To be honest, if someone had given this advice to my ex (most likely) back when we first broke up I would pay anything to get my hands around their neck but now I totally understand why if they did. Heck, If I ever talk to my ex again I would thank her for what she did, honestly. I deserved what I got and so did your ex. And now I'm telling you to do the very same thing hun (crazy how things come around) because it's the only way to ensure your happiness and security for the future. After-all, you deserve it.

Try your best not to feel too bad. Try your best not to feel resentment for too long of a period. Definitely go through your mourning. Go with the flow. Don't resist your emotions. Feel your emotions, observe your emotions but never fight your emotions like anger, vengeance, rage, bitterness, hatred, yearning, etc. It's all part of the process. It's all perfectly normal. And remember, there is NEVER a set amount of time before your completely over your ex. This simply isn't the case. It's an illusion. Everyone heals on a different time line. Mine took a while and I'm still going through it so I'm not out of the woods yet and it's been close to 9 months. I've read where some have taken years (gulp). But I have a feeling yours might not take as long but don't take my word for it.

Understand that in the end he simply wasn't providing you the things you desired most, which was his presence. Give it time hun and who knows, maybe, just maybe, hopefully, he'll go in the same path as I did and come back to you as a BRAND NEW MAN. The new and improved, as they say. If this is the case then at that point it's totally up to you if you want to take him back in your life. Ease in of course. But who knows, maybe by then you might have moved so make sure to check in with your intuition and take it from there. Just remember, as I'm sure you already know, life truly is too short.

Edited by LitTunnel
  • Like 1
  • Author

LitTunel,

Thank you so much for helping me get through this.

I really can't see him grasping the idea that any of this was his fault.

His 3 favorite things to say when I tried to talk to him (after he cut me off and shut me down were:

1) you just took it wrong

2) you hear what you want to hear

3) why can't you just be happy

You took it wrong = you're the one with problems, not me

You hear what you want to hear = pretty much same as above

Why can't you just be happy = why can't you just be there for me at my convenience, cook for me, have sex with me but otherwise not bother me.

I'm dealing with a really selfish person and by his own admission "pig headed" and he really is!!!

I think I would have more luck getting through to a sponge.

The thought of ever being dissapointed by him and shut out again is scarier than the thought of just moving on.

I suppose I'd be open to it but I feel it's highly unlikely. Truthfully you seem much more in touch with your basic human side than he does.

He's a great guy, I just think he's way to self absorbed to ever grasp such a concept.

For now, I'll just push forward and try to grow from this. If anything he's definitely made me appreciate a man that genuinely wants to understand, instead of saying screw it, it's your problem, not mine.

I suppose time will tell but I think I'd see Jesus before I saw him change. Either way, I'll look at is as a win - win for me.

I really hope to find a man that wants to understand my pain than to just prove me "wrong"

Like you said, life's too short!!

Thank you again! It really helps talking with you.

Happy Friday btw. 'CHEERS!'

• Like 1
  • Author

Wanted to add,

I'm usually the eternal optimist. So much so that people have said I have "too much faith" whatever that means.

But this guy is the most selfish person I've ever known. Most men (of all ages) will at least listen and try, even if it's half heartedly. He won't even listen.

I've often wondered if his golf and Facebook are addictions. I'm seriously not kidding. They say when your life becomes 'unmanageable' it's an addiction.

I honestly can't even imagine going on vacations with him because I don't think he could go without golf for morethan a couple days. Definitely can't go without Facebook for more than a couple hours.

• Like 1