Feeling like I'm missing out

Thanks for sharing with us the results of your career assessment test! :)

You can do a lot with editing. Many people are looking for someone to edit their papers, books, etc. There's a whole section in the jobs section for writing/editing on Craigslist. I encourage you to look into it.

In your case, I'd go with the magnesium malate or (bis)glycinate. It is especially great for a fatigued body, which it seems you have.

I didn't suggest brands, because like I said, I'm in Canada and am not familiar with the the majority of brands sold in the US. However, I did a case study on a friend in the US, and also recommended that she take magnesium malate for her sore muscles/nerve pain. It was from a brand called Kirkman, which she uses another supplement from as it's hypoallergenic. My favourite one is by a Canadian company that I trust, and although they might not have a retailer in NJ, you can buy it on iherb. It's a company called AOR (Advanced Orthomolecular Research) and their product is called Mag Malate Renew. I've also suggested just going to the health food store and asking for advice there.

For vitamin D, I would suggest drops (under the tongue)--one drop equals 1000IU (IU is the measurement unit for a few vitamins). I can't say how much you need to take, exactly, as there is no way to test for how much vitamin D is getting into your tissues (as far as I know). A blood test can tell you how much is in the blood at the time of the test, but it's not an accurate assessment. I think 2000-3000IUs (2-3 drops) a day would be a good amount when it's not summer season. Again, check out the health food store for thoughts from staff there.

I like AOR's Advanced B Complex, but again, this is a Canadian product. I see that it's on iherb as well. As long as you have an ACTIVE B-complex (ie., the vitamins are in their active form and therefore are easily absorbed), then you're good to go.

If you are anxious about starting a new supplement, then start with one capsule and gradually move up.

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 1

OP, I'm the one who sent you the link to the magnesium I bought from Amazon. I'm up to the four a day as recommended, and am over that little side effect.

Along with a serious B complex, a general multi, and the liquid vitamin D, my clenching/grinding is done, as are my leg cramps and nerve pain. I did the DIY mouthguard, and it came out great.

One other thing for your jaw/side of the head, is to not lay on a flat pillow. Get the kind that cradles your neck, and lets your ear/jaw rest in the middle. It doesn't have to be Tempurpedic crazy expensive, there are others out there.

• Like 1
  • Author
OP, I'm the one who sent you the link to the magnesium I bought from Amazon. I'm up to the four a day as recommended, and am over that little side effect.

Along with a serious B complex, a general multi, and the liquid vitamin D, my clenching/grinding is done, as are my leg cramps and nerve pain. I did the DIY mouthguard, and it came out great.

One other thing for your jaw/side of the head, is to not lay on a flat pillow. Get the kind that cradles your neck, and lets your ear/jaw rest in the middle. It doesn't have to be Tempurpedic crazy expensive, there are others out there.

True. Would taking the magnesium along with the other 3 things be too much to take at once? At the moment all I take is my daily multi vitamin.

And that's probably a good idea. Is it also better to sleep completely on my back instead of on my side? I've heard the worst position is on the stomach so I try to avoid that completely but usually find myself sleeping on my side due to it being the most comfortable to me by far. I might wear my night guard again starting tonight & try to sleep completely on my back to see what happens.

True. Would taking the magnesium along with the other 3 things be too much to take at once? At the moment all I take is my daily multi vitamin.

And that's probably a good idea. Is it also better to sleep completely on my back instead of on my side? I've heard the worst position is on the stomach so I try to avoid that completely but usually find myself sleeping on my side due to it being the most comfortable to me by far. I might wear my night guard again starting tonight & try to sleep completely on my back to see what happens.

No, it wouldn't be to much to take. Just start with one magnesium and work your way up until you're used to it. Take with food - strong B complexes can upset an empty stomach, and vitamin D needs fat to absorb properly. A daily multi has nowhere near what you need if you're trying to play catch up, or if you need more B because of a deficient diet.

My chiro says back sleeping is the best. I'm a side sleeper, so the cradling really helps. Stomach sleeping is the worst.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
No, it wouldn't be to much to take. Just start with one magnesium and work your way up until you're used to it. Take with food - strong B complexes can upset an empty stomach, and vitamin D needs fat to absorb properly. A daily multi has nowhere near what you need if you're trying to play catch up, or if you need more B because of a deficient diet.

My chiro says back sleeping is the best. I'm a side sleeper, so the cradling really helps. Stomach sleeping is the worst.

Good luck!

So I'm going to go to vitamin shoppe tomorrow to get the Vitamin D, B Complex & Magnesium. I'm going to get the magnesium you get, & probably get same brand maker of Vitamin B-Complex. I'm just unsure of what dose of B-Complex to get? I was considering 100 MG. And maybe will get Vitamin D vitamin shoppe brand.

• Author
What brand of magnesium are you getting?

The solaray brand for both magnesium & b-complex. The one Midwest told me about. 400mg vegetarian capsule. I know you said you're in Canada so the brands are probably different there. So I don't know if there's any others specifically you know of.

I just looked into the Solaray B-complex and magnesium.

Their B-complex formula is pretty meh (sorry!). It's not awful, though. I'm sure it sells well.

I looked into the magnesium as well. It says 400mg per 4 capsules, meaning you need to take 4 capsules to get 400mg of the magnesium glycinate--not 400mg/capsule, unless you're looking at a different product than I was.

• Author
I just looked into the Solaray B-complex and magnesium.

Their B-complex formula is pretty meh (sorry!). It's not awful, though. I'm sure it sells well.

I looked into the magnesium as well. It says 400mg per 4 capsules, meaning you need to take 4 capsules to get 400mg of the magnesium glycinate--not 400mg/capsule, unless you're looking at a different product than I was.

Well, what specifically do you think would be good to get of brands for each thing? You know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

You can still get the magnesium that MidwestUSA gets (hiya, Midwest!!). It's just that you'd have to take more capsules of it than you would if there were more magnesium in the capsule.

I see on Amazon that they do sell the products I recommended. Again, iherb.com also has them. I looked into a few products. The Pure Encapsulations B-complex looks good, as does the one by Interactive Therapeutics. I've heard of Pure Encapsulations. They're a professional brand, and I've heard great things about them. Their products are to get here, though.

As for the magnesium, it's up to you. I'd rather have something more than 100mg/capsule. Mine has 200mg/capsule, and sometimes I take 3 or so a day.

You can stick with the Solaray products. I'm just really selective when it comes to supplements. I only take for myself the ones that I think are great formulas, so I do the same when I am recommending them.

I don't know what they'll have at the store, though. So you'll just have to go and ask for the staff's thoughts. :)

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 1
  • Author
You can still get the magnesium that MidwestUSA gets (hiya, Midwest!!). It's just that you'd have to take more capsules of it than you would if there were more magnesium in the capsule.

I see on Amazon that they do sell the products I recommended. Again, iherb.com also has them. I looked into a few products. The Pure Encapsulations B-complex looks good, as does the one by Interactive Therapeutics. I've heard of Pure Encapsulations. They're a professional brand, and I've heard great things about them. Their products are to get here, though.

As for the magnesium, it's up to you. I'd rather have something more than 100mg/capsule. Mine has 200mg/capsule, and sometimes I take 3 or so a day.

I don't know what they'll have at the store, though. So you'll just have to go and ask for the staff's thoughts. :)

True, what if they ask my specific reasons for wanting those products? I don't know what to really tell them precisely. So for magnesium I should get 200mg per caspule. 1000IU of Vitamin D a day? How about for the Vitamin B? What dosage of that do you recommend?

Sooshi is right about the four per day dosing on the Soloray mg glycinate. What it did allow me to do was titer up to avoid that little GI side effect.

I really can't say enough about Amazon's prices tho, versus any store. I bought a two pack of mg glycinate (120 caps each) for, um, I'll have to go look at my orders. That's two month's worth, but will last me longer as I worked up to the four a day, and I still back off a little if I eat anything else that's going to speed things thru my system. :laugh:

I just ordered my second bottle of vitamin D as well. The first lasted three months. It was 2000 units/drop, pretty intense.

Brb.

Hi Sooshi!

• Like 1

Tell them that you want the bisglycinate, glycinate, or malate forms. Bisglycinate/glycinate are pretty much the same. You're getting it to help you relax and for muscle pain.

It doesn't have to be 200mg. The AOR malate one has over 700mg/capsule! That's the one I would pick for you.

1000IU is the recommended daily amount to prevent any overt signs of disease happening. I'd rather PREVENT any disease from coming along! I'd do drops that are 1000IU per drop. Look for one that comes with an oil, because as Midwest said, you need fat to absorb vitamin D. Oil is fat. I recommended to you before 2-3 drops a day (meaning 2000-3000IUs a day).

Let all of that sink in, NJ, TRULY sink in, so you don't have to keep asking the same questions for which you've already been given answers... (and so we don't have to keep giving you the same answers...!) :)

• Like 1

Ohh, Midwest, it's great that you have a vitamin D that's 2000IUs/drop! That would be great for NJ! Sadly, Health Canada only allows 1000IU max to be sold here right now, which is unfortunate because vitamin D deficiency is rampant.

Yep, gradually increasing your dosage can be useful. I've never had a problem with the magnesium, but everyone's body is different, and will respond differently according to its needs. Like Midwest suggested, I would take the magnesium/B complex with food, especially the B complex, which can cause nausea (and an upset stomach, like Midwest said) if taken without food. Also, expect your pee to be neon yellow after you take your B complex. It's a normal reaction. :)

• Like 1

My Soloray mag was $23 for 240. Vitamin D was $20. I just have a feeling you're going to get really gouged if you shop anywhere else, but go ahead and compare. If you have a counter full of supplements as big as mine, you need to save anywhere you can!

If it ain't neon yellow, I'm not taking enough! I don't worry at all about overdoing the water solubles, but I watch the D. I went heavy when I was first told I was low, then backed off.

• Like 1

Those are good prices!

Yep, be mindful of the vitamin D. Midwest would have started high, as a therapeutic dose, which is meant to be taken for a short time only, and then down to a maintenance dose that she can safely take daily.

It's so good to have you here, Midwest!! :)

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 1

Honestly, NJ, I'm getting frustrated. I sent you a PM one month ago with the magnesium link. If it works for you as it did for me, you could be feeling a whole lot better already.

If I was rich, I'd load an Amazon cart and ship it to you. But I'm not.

Get your butt in gear.

• Like 2
  • Author

I looked it up & it says vitamin D recommended is 600IU a day. So would taking that high dose be too much to start out with?

And isn't the 700mg a really high dose of magnesium? It says recommended is 400mg a day.

What is "it"? Well, you can listen to "it" if you want. But "it" doesn't know you, and puts everyone in the same category. "It" doesn't differentiate between age groups, lifestyle, stress level, individual need, etc.

The 700mg is actually 100mg of elemental magnesium and over 500mg of malic acid. The front label says 7xxmg, so it's misleading, but the ingredients on the back show the break-down. Malic acid is great for fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and muscle function.

I've taken well over 400mg regularly and have not had a problem (the worst that can happen is diarrhea--that's when you know you've taken too much).

600IU of vitamind D a day is very low for an adult. It might be good for an infant, but is definitely not enough for an adult, unless maybe you're out in the sun during peak hours during the summer and your skin is turning pink from the sun (best way to get vitamin D).

There is a huge difference between recommended daily intake (again, to possibly prevent overt signs of disease... meaning OBVIOUS disease) and OPTIMAL daily intake (preventing disease altogether).

Edited by sooshi
  • Like 1

@sooshi, I was just about to post this.

Magnesium malate dihydrate 793 mg

100 mgElemental Magnesium

545 mgElemental Malic acid

I once calculated how much mag citrate to drink to get your RDA, if you're in a pinch. One bottle goes a long way, and it's cheap.

My first degree is in chemistry, so I blew my husband away with the math. I did everything but make a molecular model for him. (I couldn't find my old set :() :laugh:

• Like 1

Yeppers. :) From my experience, most bottles of supplements are meant to last about a month, if you follow the dosage in the instructions.

Ohh, a degree in chemistry, that's cool! :)

Please blow me away with your math/chemistry knowledge. :) I don't understand why it says 793mg on that label. 500+145=645. How do they get 793? Where is the rest coming from? Please help, Midwest!! :)

• Like 1

Ohh, a degree in chemistry, that's cool! :)

Please blow me away with your math/chemistry knowledge. :) I don't understand why it says 793mg on that label. 500+145=645. How do they get 793? Where is the rest coming from? Please help, Midwest!! :)

It's a well guarded secret. If I tell you, well, you know what I'll have to do! ;)

• Like 1
  • Author

Just kind of worrying about whether taking all of this stuff is okay for me. I don't want to get any unpleasant side effects or interactions with taking all these things at once.

Just kind of worrying about whether taking all of this stuff is okay for me. I don't want to get any unpleasant side effects or interactions with taking all these things at once.

I really don't know what else to say. These are all things your body needs, and generally are obtained from a good diet. Most people today do not adhere to a good diet, and junk (soda/diet soda for one) helps deplete what we need, or prevents proper absorption. Some people are predestined to not absorb certain vitamins/nutrients properly at all (B-12 being one of them).

How many servings of fruit and vegetables do you consume in a day? What's your usual diet? If it's highly processed, frozen crap, or fast food, you're in trouble, whether you believe it or not. Vitamin D deficiency is rampant, partially thanks to sunscreens, but take your pick. Skin cancer or ?

If you're that worried, start with one or two. I'd say the super B complex and magnesium.

But, you might want to take another shot at getting that anxiety under control.

• Like 1
  • Author
I really don't know what else to say. These are all things your body needs, and generally are obtained from a good diet. Most people today do not adhere to a good diet, and junk (soda/diet soda for one) helps deplete what we need, or prevents proper absorption. Some people are predestined to not absorb certain vitamins/nutrients properly at all (B-12 being one of them).

How many servings of fruit and vegetables do you consume in a day? What's your usual diet? If it's highly processed, frozen crap, or fast food, you're in trouble, whether you believe it or not. Vitamin D deficiency is rampant, partially thanks to sunscreens, but take your pick. Skin cancer or ?

If you're that worried, start with one or two. I'd say the super B complex and magnesium.

But, you might want to take another shot at getting that anxiety under control.

I usually have a banana a day. And I usually have vegetables with most of the dinners my mom makes. Not every single day though, maybe 4 days a week I have vegetables. And I don't eat too much fast food. Maybe once a week on average, twice at most. But I know realistically my diet could be much better than it is. So you think I should just start with the Vitamin B & magneisum first along with my usually multi vitamin? I just feel maybe having all these supplements all at once before taking any of them could disrupt my system.