"Looking for a professional"

LookAtThisPOst

Would be funny if two people said the same thing, met up, one of them turned out to be an art history PhD and the other a software developer, and both of them disagreed with the other person's definition though... :laugh:

Yes. ;) Altho I assume the deets would be more refined in later chats or w/e once the initial screening had done its job.

I don't see the big deal...

A lot of people prefer to date people of a similar socioeconomic background and/or culture. That would include many professionals generally preferring to date other professionals. Even the people that don't have that preference will often end up with someone of a similar socioeconomic or cultural background anyway. Likewise with those who have previously dated people with widely varying backgrounds/beliefs...many times they end up with someone that's similar in lifestyle, values, culture or career. This is nothing new...it's not some recent trend.

The reasons are obvious. For one, you're more likely to relate well to each other. More likely to intuitively understand each other's work/career, daily lifestyle and thought patterns. More likely to get each other's jokes. And so on. Secondly, most people have a comfort zone. Third, there's a better chance of fitting in with each other's social circles (friends, family)...not everyone cares about that, but some prefer to play it safe.

You're not going to be everyone's cup of tea, no matter who you are or what you've accomplished in your life. Not even close. So there's no point in getting butthurt over some women preferring a professional.

Lastly, don't think too hard about what the woman means by "professional", and don't take the term "professional" too literally. The right people will probably instantly grasp what she's getting at.

thefooloftheyear
I don't see the big deal...

A lot of people prefer to date people of a similar socioeconomic background and/or culture. That would include many professionals generally preferring to date other professionals. Even the people that don't have that preference will often end up with someone of a similar socioeconomic or cultural background anyway. Likewise with those who have previously dated people with widely varying backgrounds/beliefs...many times they end up with someone that's similar in lifestyle, values, culture or career. This is nothing new...it's not some recent trend.

The reasons are obvious. For one, you're more likely to relate well to each other. More likely to intuitively understand each other's work/career, daily lifestyle and thought patterns. More likely to get each other's jokes. And so on. Secondly, most people have a comfort zone. Third, there's a better chance of fitting in with each other's social circles (friends, family)...not everyone cares about that, but some prefer to play it safe.

You're not going to be everyone's cup of tea, no matter who you are or what you've accomplished in your life. Not even close. So there's no point in getting butthurt over some women preferring a professional.

Lastly, don't think too hard about what the woman means by "professional", and don't take the term "professional" too literally. The right people will probably instantly grasp what she's getting at.

True, but if you wind up just using career/degree as criteria, then you are probably going to exclude someone who quite possibly would be compatible..

The world is full of moron PhD's that are socially dull, unworldly, can barely dress themselves, and perhaps living paycheck to paycheck....There are also legions of wealthy people that perhaps chose a path of business ownership or entrepreneurship, or maybe they even mastered whatever they do on an employee level, make a very good living, and just are naturally worldly and erudite..despite not having the advanced secondary level education or the textbook "professional;" career...

I live in a community where everyone is a white collar professional, have the typical cookie cutter life of a lawyer, doctor, or Wall Street type..You know, the black Mercedes, the big house, blah, blah..You get the idea...

Even though I did get a 4 year college degree, I never used it...And it was a science based degree with tons of advanced math, Physics, etc,,None of my time at college had any effect on who I am today..I chose the path of business ownership in blue collar type fields,,,I also likely did not have the same upbringing as they did, I came from a tough neighborhood and had to mostly do things the hard way..Even though I can buy one easily,, I have no desire to own a black Mercedes either....

We have block parties here and I have absolutely no trouble mixing it up with those folks ,,I have many customers just like them and we get along great...Been invited to various functions and there is no awkwardness whatsoever..,,,I don't say very much in public situations, but they do seem interested in what I say and what I do...One year when I didn't go, a couple of guys from the neighborhood actually came to my house to see if they could convince me to come...:laugh:

So I guess at the end of the day, its anyone's right to do as they please and use any filtering mechanism they wish, in their journey to find a mate......But to think that none of those folks that get filtered out could possibly measure up is nonsense...

I like the comment that I believe 50 Cent made one day...

" I didn't go to Harvard, but the people that work for me did"....:laugh:

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear