Son Lost his girlfriend in a wreck, Drinking,Depressed all hygiene is gone.....

Mom22Boys

He was able to get through most of it without breaking down but then It hit him like a flood. And the stress caused a seizure. But it even brought made this criminal tear up. But the Judge wasn't kind and laid into him. And he got 15 years which I do not think is enough......

Maybe because the drunk driver teared up and showed compassion is why he got 15 years. It isn't enough but at least it's something and will help with closure.

Your son is strong for going through with reading his victim impact statement. Hope his seizure wasn't serious..

Let tomorrow be a better day for you all.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well it was the maximum sentence as they convicted him of DUI Manslaughter. Regardless things have started to get at least a little more even keel. Which is nice I think my son could use some structure and a schedule........

• Author

Days are tougher lately since the Trial. I thought they would get better since it was all over and I thought he would be able to move on but that hasn't been the case.

Aw. So sorry to hear about what he went through at the trial. This situation just breaks my heart.

Things are probably worse right now because the trial dredged up all the feelings again, and your son had to re-live everything. He is also probably thinking that even with the guy being sentenced, his (your son) life is now so different and he probably feels that nothing will change that.

This is a situation where time on top of time is what it's going to take to get past this. This is the incredible damage and fall-out from one man's reckless act. So many lives shattered. It's just so sad.

• Author

Thank You, Just trying to work through this. I feel like he is in the middle of a rebound relationship with this girl though. I honestly don't think it will last.

Just give him a little time to adjust. The trial brought it all back up plus now it's sort of over. Most people tend to hang on to things a little until they are safely behind them and then really let go. I know I'm like that. I keep myself together through the illness and dying of a loved one, usually, and the planning and funeral, and then I do my real mourning by myself afterward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Sorry I haven't been updating this. Son finally got situated on his seizure meds and has been seizure free for 5 days so far. He and this girl are getting uncomfortably close I feel like he is moving far too fast with her and she is taking advantage of him. And it is really frustrating.

whichwayisup

Good the medication is helping.

This new woman probably is a rebound and is helping him not think and or grieve. Problem is, if you say anything to him about it it's just going to push him further into her arms, so I say be kind to her, invite her for dinner and just wait it out. She isn't a forever thing, it's doubtful it's going to last too long.

bluefeather
I feel like he is moving far too fast with her and she is taking advantage of him.

I don't know the details, but maybe there's some good in it... that sounds like a normal kind of problem to have. And it's contact, which is probably helpful to him.