You are a victim of mental ill mother and sister.

I am so sorry to read about this, I really hope you can get away and get your id's back

• Author

Me too. Because it really sucks being unable to get work because of I.D. issues.

My mother refuses to get my papers back anyway, even if she's the only one legally allowed.

Mom...hasn't been herself, as of late. I chalk it up to all the pressure.

But sorry, I don't have my birth certificate back fellas. Not even a lawyer can over-ride my issue. I'm back to square one. New York's tough. I've been going through this for over a year. Not sure what else to do.

But I can't give up no matter what. Even if it means i'll have to trek on without it.

• Author

I remember days where my mom told me I was never going to be able to drive because I was too ADD and clumsy, and she was never going to teach me or allow anyone else to. So I signed up for classes in high school but they closed down. In my town, it's a custom to teach kids at a young age to drive. I was forbidden.

Whenever I would try to find work, she'd say I wouldn't last a day. If I ever disagreed her with someone, she'd say that I'm too stupid to survive in the real world. On more than one occasion, I have to hide jobs I was doing away from her. She'd always tell me I did terrible at home and would yell and berate me.

Then I tried to join a church that was more open-minded and active in my generation, but I was told it was a bad idea because they were mostly Caucasian. Told me that I was turning my back on my own people and that I was gonna fail because of it.

In fact, she even tried to put me on disability. 3 times in fact, and on one occasion, during a heated argument, she put me in a mental hospital. I was there for a week.

Doctors said I was fine. I was put on anti-depressants. Didn't need them after a while.

And then Florida happpened. My sister goes berserk, lies to the police that I beat on her, and I'm jailed in a foreign state with no I.D. or money.

Only to be homeless. My mom told me for disobeying her(I'm 23 when this happened) she said I was on my own, because I shouldn't have gone to Florida when she warned me, because of what happened to that Trayvon Martin kid.

I went to support my sister, who was feeling depressed, and i had no idea she was ill. No one did. Mom said she knew, so I asked her why she let her borrow her car, yet I wasn't allowed to drive. I was told it's none of my business.

I've lived with this. I know she took care, housed and sheltered me, but I've always had this gnawing feeling I was raised in all the wrong ways.

Not to mention getting beat with bats, bricks, and being choked on a few occasions was called discipline. But I digress. My mom and I are not on good terms, and it sucks that she's the only legal person that can get my BC back. She won't do it. Says I "blew that privilege"

Since when is wanting to work and become independent a "privilege?"

This is enough to make me want to tear my hair out. She goes out of her way to support her fully grown(30 and 26) year old grandchildren, but me and my autistic brother(both adopted) want to work and move up, but we're not allowed to because having identification is a privilege that I should earn?

I know this sounds bad, but at this stage I'm starting to consider falsifying documents just to be able to have something, but I also know that if I get caught....the reprecussions will be terrible.

But at this point, I've tried so many things. I know there has to be a way. HAS TO BE.

Edited by Natsu21

OK, I think I've got it.

Get online and go to TDStelecom.com - they are a phone company that services your area. That is a utility.

open an account for basic phone service. you'll need a little money, but for now, focus on the plan. I'm sure you can buy one of those credit cards at the local stores.

set up phone service at your mother's house. schedule an installation date for a week later. just get the account open, and ask them how to view your account online. Print that out. Also get them to send you a bill or receipt or something at your mother's address, so that you can get an original bill.

Go to the post office. Have them hold your mail for pickup. Then wait for your bill.

Boom. There's your utility bill. then cancel the account. Even if you have to forfeit the money, it will be worth it.

• Like 1
^I have a legit photocopy of my birth certificate in my hand right now. I was born in NYC, also I lived there for a few years.

Also did that.

What's missing?

Utility bills. Never had any of those.

You have your SSN card...and you mentioned an EBT card many times. Do you get any type of statement for that? A tax return from when you did work?

• Author

Hope it works, MightyCPA

I'm gonna have to trek it back for the time being and convince my mother to get back my documents in her stead.

After sending everyone of my documents imaginable...and getting rejection letters from the NY HR...I'm just going to have to find a way to get my mother to get it on her behalf, personally.

I'm worn out from this.