• Author
Volunteer to help out there, doing whatever. If they're game, work your ass off for them.

Make an impression on these folks that you're someone willing to go the extra mile.

Individually, they'd be more willing to stick their neck out to help you find a job, serve as a reference, and help you out in other ways.

Bingo. That's why I spent an hour cleaning up the church after it was done. :)

They thanked me for my service.

In a world full of dangers...you gotta make people believe in you.

Operation: Fund My Ticket Outta Here is a go...I just found out in certain areas of the country, they have services where they represent you, no charge, and get your bc and ID with the use of a questionnaire.

One of them is in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I think that is where I should save up to hit.

See? I can plan. Yesterday was an emotional mess though.

• Like 4

Good for you! You're no longer being the victim....you're being a survivor!

It's people who go through the most crap who are the most interesting and the strongest. Never forget that.

• Like 3

I know it's not easy getting your footing with such an uphill climb ahead and so much emotion and chaos behind you. You haven't had time to even process everything, so it's probably hard to focus. But all this work and walking you'll be doing will give you plenty of time to think and the exercise will help alleviate the stress.

Don't let getting those papers slide. The sooner you get them, the easier things will be for you. Be sure and stay in touch with your social worker and I hope the food stamps kick in immediately.

• Author

Well it isn't easy. I had to borrow money from my brother(pride)

So I printed out a few advertisements explaining my situation.....

I don't have many ultra marketable skills, but any idiot can rake leaves, mow lawns, clean houses, and other small menial tasks some elders can't do. I did it at home for free, I wanna get paid.

Posted them all over churches. And stores. And restaurants.

There has to be SOMEONE out there who is willing to help. I got to believe someone out there is willing to help.

I have an EBT card so I don't have to spend money for food, not at least till Feburary, that's more than enough time to save up.

Even if I don't get to Pennsylvania, I can definitely get to the nearest city. So for a while, I might be one of those "odd job nomads" homeless people who move from city to city working odd jobs.

An ex of mine knew a guy who did just that. took him 10 years to finally settle in a home, but he traveled the USA before he did...without so much as a car.

It's possible, not easy.

Edited by Natsu21
  • Like 3

It's possible, not easy.

Just make sure to take good care of your teeth. And stay away from drugs (except pot).

You're going to be okay, in fact, you already are. :)

Glad you borrowed some money. You can return the favor to your brother and pay him back sometime.

For yard work, post an ad on Craigslist.com. The other thing you can get some money from is doing "odd jobs," but be clear your limitations in the ad. Like as an older single woman, I always need someone to help lift something or get up on a ladder or organize my garage or move furniture around. Once you get your ID, you can apply for real jobs. One easy kind to get is warehouse work. A lot of people don't know that, but go to the warehouse districts and just apply because they tend to hire unskilled people a lot, and of course don't pay much, but one I worked in the office of would promote someone to something better that paid better if they were very reliable.

• Like 1

Nat, glad to hear you're more focused today and seems like you've got a grip on your situation now. :) Yesterday you had a bad day and hey, that's ok! You're human! We all have bad days and you've been through a lot recently. Just remember you have LoveShack to turn to. Connect to as many state and nonprofit resources as you can find out about and before you know it, you'll be back on stable ground again. Life's a journey. Sometimes there's bumps in the road but those bumps are always temporary. Right now, you hit a bump in the road but you have a plan, have access to resources and have taken initiative yourself to get the ball rolling. Good luck to you!

• Like 1
  • Author

also added a 2nd part of my plan

I'll need to save up for a bike.

since I don't have a car, I'll need to get around town somehow.

so guys, 10 speed or twenty speed? lol.

• Like 1

Just get whatever takes you from A to B and isn't visibly falling apart.

Even on Craigslist, people practically give away bikes.

Keep your head up. One day you'll look back on this thread and realize how far you came in life because you refused to give up.

• Like 2

Pawn shops usually have bikes fairly cheap. Barter with them though and get it cheaper. You might even put an ad on Craigslist yourself under items for sale if they let you and say you're looking for a cheap but rideable adult bike and if anyone has one they can donate, that would be great.

whichwayisup

Start looking for garage sales, bikes are cheaper that way or look at craigslist.

Glad you borrowed money from your brother.

• Author

It was only 10 bucks...

I needed that to print out advertisements in the library.

I've done extensive research and asked the HR department on what to do.

Not going to lie to you, because it's NYC...it's gonna be a hell of a job getting back.

I better prepare myself. Life's going to be a whole lot bumpier from this point forward.

Of course, if all else fails, start hitchhiking to a city, pronto.

Nat, I have a book recommendation for you. Get it from the library. It's called "On the Road" written by one of my all-time favorite writers, Jack Kerouac. It will inspire you on this journey you now find yourself on.

It was only 10 bucks...

I needed that to print out advertisements in the library.

I've done extensive research and asked the HR department on what to do.

Not going to lie to you, because it's NYC...it's gonna be a hell of a job getting back.

I better prepare myself. Life's going to be a whole lot bumpier from this point forward.

Of course, if all else fails, start hitchhiking to a city, pronto.

• Author
Nat, I have a book recommendation for you. Get it from the library. It's called "On the Road" written by one of my all-time favorite writers, Jack Kerouac. It will inspire you on this journey you now find yourself on.

So he took a road trip to find himself, huh?

Doesn't sound too far fetched from my situation.

• Author

Update:

I spent all day yesterday looking up services I can find. I also looked up how I can get my papers back.

Found out there are three ways you can a birth certificate back.

1. Yourself(with ID)

2. Your parents.

3. An attorney or a court appointed person.

Since I'm poor, I qualify for legal aid. So I went to their website and signed up for a case manager(turns out, and I'm an idiot, that case managers ARE legal aids.)

I explained in the best way I can that I need a case manager to help me get my papers back. I have no bills in my name, no official paperwork in my name, save for some medical records and a blood donor card, as well as social security. I told them that I couldn't work without ID, and I couldn't get an ID without a birth certificate.

I should be getting a response sometime next week. Fingers crossed. I hope they take my case, even if I can't pay them.

Legal aids are for those with little or no income. They're like the public defenders for the people.

Hoping for some good news next week. The sooner I get my papers the sooner I can finally move forward with my life.

• Like 2
  • Author

So I ran into a little...um...SNAG.

turns out, even if i were to get an attorney to get it back for me, I would STILL need state I.D. to get it.

This is a pain...seriously.

To get an I.D. you need a birth certificate.

To get a birth certificate you need an I.D.

Someone out there tell me if they have lost all of their documents from NYC before.

Natsu21,

I'm sorry you found yourself in this situation, my heart feels for you.

Not sure if this will help since you haven't any money but I got a copy of my birth certificate for my DL from https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates

I only had to answer questions relating to what would be on my credit report and a few others relating to my birth and they sent me the certificate in the mail.

~Art

• Like 1
  • Author

That previous link did say one thing that I'm...gulp...cringing at the thought of.

It said that a way to get a certified copy of a birth certificate back is by getting a parent to order it.

After this ordeal, I'm getting copies on top of copies on top of copies of my birth certificate after this is done.

Thank GorillaTheater for the advice and help. He's been really helpful.

Looks like I'm just going to have to call in a favor from mom.

This is gonna be messy. We're not exactly on good terms right now.

• Author
Natsu21,

I'm sorry you found yourself in this situation, my heart feels for you.

Not sure if this will help since you haven't any money but I got a copy of my birth certificate for my DL from https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates

I only had to answer questions relating to what would be on my credit report and a few others relating to my birth and they sent me the certificate in the mail.

~Art

I have a confession...

I don't have a credit score.

a bank account

and currently No I.D.

Essentially I've worked various jobs but till then, the money I earned went into my mom's account(as per her suggestion)

So I don't have any of that of my own. Let's assume, for this case, that I have the credentials of a illegal immigrant without a green card.

That's my situation in a nutshell. I'm keeping positive. Welcome to adulthood. Where papers will make you tear your hair out :D

• Like 1

What are the chances that you were not born in NYC? Maybe that's why your mother won't help you, because you'll learn some truth that she's been hiding from you.

As I recall, you have an arrest record in Florida. That sounds like a place you could get a letter from a government agency. The next place would be a government welfare/social services office. If not, contact the Clerk of the County Court in FL where you got arrested and ask that your record be expunged. They will need to send you a letter that acknowledges and denies your request.

There's your two forms of id for NYC.

• Like 2
  • Author
What are the chances that you were not born in NYC? Maybe that's why your mother won't help you, because you'll learn some truth that she's been hiding from you.

As I recall, you have an arrest record in Florida. That sounds like a place you could get a letter from a government agency. The next place would be a government welfare/social services office. If not, contact the Clerk of the County Court in FL where you got arrested and ask that your record be expunged. They will need to send you a letter that acknowledges and denies your request.

There's your two forms of id for NYC.

^I have a legit photocopy of my birth certificate in my hand right now. I was born in NYC, also I lived there for a few years.

Also did that.

What's missing?

Utility bills. Never had any of those.

Hey Natsu,

Just been reading your thread. I just want to say best of luck to you and you are a tough dude. I think if I had to go through the crap you have been dealing with, I would be a mess.

It sounds like you got your birth certificate back so hopefully you can get an ID and then get a job.

I am really pulling for you and your attitude during this ordeal has made a positive impact on me.

Please update us when you can.

• Like 1