Nat, according to this website, you can order your birth certificate online. Supposedly you can get it within 2 to 3 days if you order it express delivery. Your mom doesn't have to order it for you. You can order your own. But you can't have it mailed to a PO Box.

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/birth.htm

Birth Certificates

Where do I obtain a birth certificate copy for someone born in New York City?

The New York State Department of Health does not file and cannot issue copies of New York City birth certificates. For births in one of the five (5) boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Kings, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island), please visit the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene web site. Please note that the borough of Kings is sometimes referred to as Brooklyn and the borough of Staten Island is sometimes referred to as Richmond.

Where do I obtain a birth certificate copy for someone born in New York State outside of New York City?

For genealogy or family history copies, please visit our Genealogy web page.

For certified birth certificate copies, please continue.

Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?

The person named on the birth certificate.

A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent's name must be on birth certificate).

Only by order of a New York State Court may a spouse, child or other persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate.

Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:

One (1) of the following forms of valid photo-ID:

Driver license

State issued non-driver photo-ID card

Passport

U.S. Military issued photo-ID

Two (2) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:

Utility or telephone bills

Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months

Here is another website to get info on how to order your birth certificate from NYC

Birth Certificate | City of New York

• Author
Nat, according to this website, you can order your birth certificate online. Supposedly you can get it within 2 to 3 days if you order it express delivery. Your mom doesn't have to order it for you. You can order your own. But you can't have it mailed to a PO Box.

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/birth.htm

Birth Certificates

Where do I obtain a birth certificate copy for someone born in New York City?

The New York State Department of Health does not file and cannot issue copies of New York City birth certificates. For births in one of the five (5) boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Kings, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island), please visit the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene web site. Please note that the borough of Kings is sometimes referred to as Brooklyn and the borough of Staten Island is sometimes referred to as Richmond.

Where do I obtain a birth certificate copy for someone born in New York State outside of New York City?

For genealogy or family history copies, please visit our Genealogy web page.

For certified birth certificate copies, please continue.

Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?

The person named on the birth certificate.

A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent's name must be on birth certificate).

Only by order of a New York State Court may a spouse, child or other persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate.

Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:

One (1) of the following forms of valid photo-ID:

Driver license

State issued non-driver photo-ID card

Passport

U.S. Military issued photo-ID

Two (2) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:

Utility or telephone bills

Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months

Here is another website to get info on how to order your birth certificate from NYC

Birth Certificate | City of New York

Doesn't exactly put a plan in place, in case, you know, I have none of those, and therein lies my problem

lollipopspot

I think you can get a new BC with school records and other documents that you can piece together, but I think it would be less overwhelming if you had someone to help you through this. Get to a bigger city - there must be a mission or something with what one hopes are competent folks who help people get back on their feet. You need to be free of this mixed up family, pretty much forever. It's toxic.

A death of a younger person is always surprising and makes you think about mortality. You're probably in a bit of shock, but having trouble processing because so much else is going on.

I'm wishing you well. You can do this.

(and, if you care to post, I'm interested in what was going on in that trailer that led to your sister's death).

You can send in your college photo ID if you still have it, or any bills. You can also contact your cellphone carrier (Tablets are attached to cellphone numbers) and ask them to mail you a copy of your most recent bill with your street address on it. Any bill will do, really as long as it has your name and an address on it.

You can also go to the social security office in your city, to order another social security card.

You can also go to your local DMV office to request a new driver's license since you don't have yours anymore (mark it as 'lost' on the form). You'll need to show them a bill, or picture ID like your college photo ID if you have it still.

If you don't have a photo ID, or bills, then you need to go back to your city and to your local social services offices. Speak with a social worker and ask that person to advocate for you. Also, you can apply for section 8 housing, and find out about homeless shelters at the social services office. Every state has a public housing department that finds shelter for low income and homeless people too.

So you just have to tap into the resources that exist for people in your situation, to get back the documents you need to help you find a job, etc. I hope that helps.

Doesn't exactly put a plan in place, in case, you know, I have none of those, and therein lies my problem
lollipopspot

Do you have any type of photo ID at all? School ID?

Do you have non photo records like medical records?

I did a cursory search to try to find out how you get a BC if you have no photo ID at all on hand, and found something for DC that said:

"If they do not have photo identification, Vital Records may accept school records, medical records or other alternative documents, but that is not reflected in any official documents or rules from the Office of Vital Records."

Different states are different.

Well it would certainly solve your problems, as you could physically go to your state's government center to fill out the paperwork for your birth certificate, then go to the DMV and social security office and social services dept., to get your housing and welfare and medicare set up.

You are entitled to have food, shelter and emergency income in every state in the U.S. under Obamacare but you need to access that through a state agency. So yes, going back to NYC would be wise. Otherwise, I foresee a road of difficulty ahead for you and that's not what you need right now.

Wait, are you saying I need to go back to New York City?

Well, sadly, seems like that's the only way.

I found 2 links in NYC where Nat's from that explain what he needs to send to get his birth certificate. But good detective work lolli. We're all here to help Nat get out of his situation. It takes a village of Loveshackers to help out one of their own who's in trouble. Right?

I did a cursory search to try to find out how you get a BC if you have no photo ID at all on hand, and found something for DC that said:

"If they do not have photo identification, Vital Records may accept school records, medical records or other alternative documents, but that is not reflected in any official documents or rules from the Office of Vital Records."

• Author

That would be great, cept in New York City you need proof of utility bills.

I'm not sure if they'll accept anything else, I'll look into it, but that's the official statements regarding alternatives.

Yeah....

I'm 23. No ID, no money, so no ID=no job.

Where were you born? In the United States?

Go to the municipality where the hospital is and get a copy of your birth certificate from the vital statistics office there.

Find a local Catholic Church as well and speak with someone in their office. They will assist you and feed you.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but remember that what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. You will be okay.

PS you didn't kill her, did you? Please say 'no'.

• Author
Where were you born? In the United States?

Go to the municipality where the hospital is and get a copy of your birth certificate from the vital statistics office there.

Find a local Catholic Church as well and speak with someone in their office. They will assist you and feed you.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but remember that what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. You will be okay.

PS you didn't kill her, did you? Please say 'no'.

That's in NYC. 1500 miles away.

Refer to posts referring to lack of ID for details.

Or better yet, read this article. This guy is going through exactly what im going through!

Without ID, finding work is job in itself - LancasterOnline: Opinion

Get to NY and get your birth certificate. You have a college ID or a HS ID even? You already said you have a SS card. SS cards are applied for when a baby is born. Contact the hospital where you were born.

All I keep hearing is why something can't be done rather than you figuring out a way to see that it does get done.

You aren't helping yourself any by wallowing in your own self-pity.

You never even said anything about Catholic Charities that I mentioned. You sound like you want a go-fund-me donation or something but sorry, this is not the place for that. Help yourself a little instead of proclaiming to be the chronic victim.

Lots of people have a crap past. Lots of people overcome it too. And so can you but you have to want to change your circumstances, not just complain about them.

• Author
Get to NY and get your birth certificate. You have a college ID or a HS ID even? You already said you have a SS card. SS cards are applied for when a baby is born. Contact the hospital where you were born.

All I keep hearing is why something can't be done rather than you figuring out a way to see that it does get done.

You aren't helping yourself any by wallowing in your own self-pity.

You never even said anything about Catholic Charities that I mentioned. You sound like you want a go-fund-me donation or something but sorry, this is not the place for that. Help yourself a little instead of proclaiming to be the chronic victim.

Lots of people have a crap past. Lots of people overcome it too. And so can you but you have to want to change your circumstances, not just complain about them.

I really do appreciate everyone's advice.

Amy, I know you're trying to help, and I get that you must feel like I'm throwing a pity party.

The goal of this was to find someone who was in this particular situation to post it. So far, all I've gotten, sadly, is the same basic answers that I've already tried for months.

I'll keep digging. I'm also stressed so thank you guys.

Really.

• Author

One guy I knew, was in my situation, took him three years to get his birth certificate back.

He had a LOT of medical records, and hitchhiked to the city and worked from one odd job to another just to make some money, since without ID, no one would hire him.

I believe someone is going to help you. Eventually.

If I had the means, and I came across a friendly person who was willing to work hard, I would take them in and let them live with me in exchange for house work and - I would pay you.

I am sure there are going to be at least some people out there who will help you along your way.

Honestly if you go to the police and tell them look, you are homeless, you have no ID or BC and you have no way out of this situation - SOMEONE has to guide you in the right direction!!!!

I would be mortified if someone came and told me of the situation they were in:( I would definitely stay with you until you got your situation sorted, I'd drive you to shelters and find a solution with you.

I am so sorry you have it so rough right now. I hope you come across some helpful people who can guide you through getting your BC and ID, and that you get shelter, a job, and then go back to college to finish a degree.

Good luck, I hope someone helps you out soon and they can help you help yourself.

One guy I knew, was in my situation, took him three years to get his birth certificate back.

He had a LOT of medical records, and hitchhiked to the city and worked from one odd job to another just to make some money, since without ID, no one would hire him.

Then there you go! Talk to him and see what he suggests.

I still say go to the nearest Catholic Church. They will definitely try to help you.

Sorry to hear your predicament. You can obtain your own birth certificate. Your mother can't keep you from that. All you need to do is google whatever city, state you were born in and "birth certificate" and it will give you instructions how to get a copy of your birth certificate. I have done it before. You will have to provide one some form of ID, whether passport student id or whatever, and then maybe a utility bill or two. But just get online and find out how to get it. Call and talk to them if you find you can't meet the requirements and tell them your story.

Also, are you a minor? If so, you should call Child Protective Services and get them involved. If you are an adult, call Dept of Public Welfare or call your city hall and ask them who to call to get food stamps and advice. See, those social workers know how to get things done like you are needing, get your ID, etc. Get some help because your family sucks.

And you should be able to get your birth cert via mail by emailing or faxing them your paperwork. You can always do that from a print shop if necessary or have a friend do it from work or home.

• Author

But I do know where one is.

Still, my first goal is ID, if i can not do that within my general vicinity, I'll have to trek to a place where I can get it.