• Author
Also, are you a minor? If so, you should call Child Protective Services and get them involved. If you are an adult, call Dept of Public Welfare or call your city hall and ask them who to call to get food stamps and advice. See, those social workers know how to get things done like you are needing, get your ID, etc. Get some help because your family sucks.

And you should be able to get your birth cert via mail by emailing or faxing them your paperwork. You can always do that from a print shop if necessary or have a friend do it from work or home.

On it, I'll send em a letter stating my predicament.

• Like 1

Where is your ID? Does someone have it? Could they mail it to you?

Also, if you don't want to send anything to your parents' house, which I would advise against, you can have it sent "General delivery" to your name at your post office and go pick it up there. Your name, c/o US Post Office, City, State, Zipcode (zipcode of the post office you want it sent to).

Edited by preraph
  • Author
Where is your ID? Does someone have it? Could they mail it to you?

Also, if you don't want to send anything to your parents' house, which I would advise against, you can have it sent "General delivery" to your name at your post office and go pick it up there. Your name, c/o US Post Office, City, State, Zipcode (zipcode of the post office you want it sent to).

This is where I admit something shameful.

Up until last year, when I got out of college, all I had was my college ID. Then I lost all my items in a tornado.

So I went to get a state ID, since I don't drive nor own a car....but I was told that I needed my Birth Certificate...

so I went to get it from my mom, who kept it, and she told me she lost it, hence my predicament.

To order said Birth certificate tho, you need ID...or in the state of NY, bills with your name on it, which in my case, do not exist.

There is definitely a way...I know it. I've been going around town and asking. Luckily, a library was open.

Which is how im talking to you guys.

I'm going to give you one more option that might or might not put you in touch with people who can help. Dial 911 and tell them how old you are and your predicament. If the police will get involved, they will put you in touch with a social worker or someone who can really help you and knows what to do. It's worth it because it would just be one phone call and might end up with a whole bunch of resources for you. You should tell them your family is abusive and all that.

Also since you're at the library now, you might speak to an older librarian and ask her for advice and she might be able to fix you up with a phone number or some way online to email resources or let you borrow the phone!

call these people. see if they can help find you a ride, even halfway there. Once you're there, find an attorney who will help you pro-bono to get your id situation straightened out. Maybe you can trade manual labor, even though you probably won't need to do so.

HATTIESBURG

The Salvation Army

5670 US Hwy 49

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Phone: (601) 544-3684

Homeless shelter, travel assistance, senior adult centers, emergency disaster services, college student fellowship, summer camp, League of Mercy, and Christmas and seasonal assistance.

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Breadbasket

Westminster Presbyterian Church

115 North 25th Avenue

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Phone: (601) 584-7574

Application made by phone. Three days of food to those in the Hattiesburg and Petal area needing emergency assistance

Christian Services, Inc.

301 East 2nd Street P. O. Box 1994

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Phone: (601) 582-5683

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-noon, 1 -4:30 p.m.

Utilities, rent, medicine, and food. Saturday Thrift Store, 9 a.m.-noon

Edwards Street Fellowship Center

1904 Edwards Street

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Phone: (601) 544-6149

Food pantry, social and recreational programs for the elderly, boys and girls club, childcare, and nutrition food program.

Hours of Operation: various; call and leave message if no answer

St. Vincent Depaul Society

219 Buschman Street

Hattiesburg, MS 39401

Phone: (601) 583-9408

Hours of Operation: Wednesday, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.

Assistance with utilities, food, clothing, and occasionally helps with partial rent

• Like 1

Here's some tough love:

Start acting like you're 23. Take some initiative. Fend for yourself. It took me 5 minutes to identify where you are, where you could be and resources that might help get you there. If I took 5 more minutes, I'm sure I could double the size of that list.

Stop posting here and get working.

• Like 2

Here is the address there in Butler, Alabama where you need to call or go to first. I just talked to them. It's the social services but they call it Choctaw County Human Resources. She said go to them first and talk to them:

Choctaw County Human Resources:

1003 S. Mulberry Ave, Butler, Alabama 36904.

205-459-9701

for sure they can get you at least food stamps.

Then she said for your ID, to go or call here, which is nearby:

Choctaw County Health Department

1001 S. Mulberry Ave, Butler, Alabama 36904

205-459-4026

They will help you get your ID

• Like 2
My town doesn't have a Catholic Church.

Find a town near you that has one then.

Are you really this clueless? You sure you went to college?

Seriously guy, what is wrong with you? Are you making all of this up so that people pay attention to you??

Hey, this person has had posts in the past about abusive family and everything, so there's no reason to think this is just drama. Stop shaming her/him off the board. This is probably a person who truly doesn't know what to do. At 23 everything isn't obvious as to resources.

• Like 4
Hey, this person has had posts in the past about abusive family and everything, so there's no reason to think this is just drama. Stop shaming her/him off the board. This is probably a person who truly doesn't know what to do. At 23 everything isn't obvious as to resources.

I'm not shaming anyone. He's not being very resourceful here. He just keeps making excuse after excuse after excuse.

Sometimes people need a kick in the ass to help get their head out of it.

Hopefully, he is now disconnected, has picked the phone and is making arrangements to go to one place or the other to begin extricating himself out of this nightmare existence.

Next stop after the public assistance: Some cash. Even a place like Fiverr.com could generate a little paid work, enough for at least a bus ticket somewhere bigger, if there is TRULY nothing to do in these small towns he is near. Although there is always somebody that needs something.

He does have some sort of technical(?) schooling too, so he's not just a farm hand. He'll soon have some options if he thinks things through, makes a plan and executes.

• Like 1
Well, now he may have left and not see the place he could have walked to to get help.

I've thought about this, and I'll bet he'll be back soon enough. Besides, even if that is not until tomorrow, a night spent outside might be just the kind of motivation he needs to spur a little action.

Whether he gets the food stamps and ID help today or tomorrow is probably immaterial. He needs to start thinking in terms of places and people who can help.

Maslow's hierarchy and all that will help him.

• Like 1
I don't think he has a phone. He talked about writing people when I suggested he call.

I'll bet the library does. If not, the librarian. Or Skype.

Sometimes when the crap hits the fan, the flood of emotions, stress, panic etc. effects our ability to clearly see answers. We all have been through stuff in which after the fact we have said "Man, I really should have XYZ". And when we are so close to something it can be very hard to see what may be deemed as obvious. That's why inputs from others can be helpful...which is what he has done.

• Like 4
Sometimes when the crap hits the fan, the flood of emotions, stress, panic etc. effects our ability to clearly see answers. We all have been through stuff in which after the fact we have said "Man, I really should have XYZ". And when we are so close to something it can be very hard to see what may be deemed as obvious. That's why inputs from others can be helpful...which is what he has done.

He posted about willingly becoming homeless a couple weeks ago in his thread Confession so it's not like this just happened to him overnight. Some might think it was his own decision. Certainly he has had time to plan for this action he took.

But he plays the victim well. You all fell for it :laugh:

Millions of illegals buy fake IDs everyday. Have them make you one with your real info on it.

Find a local church or Salvation Army for help regarding food and shelter. Actually, they are private organizations. You should have no problem getting help from Social Services since we taxpayers foot the bill. If millions of illegals can get all sorts of benefits, you should be able to. Hey, get two different IDs, one 'real' and one fake with the name Fernandez on it.

• Like 1
He posted about willingly becoming homeless a couple weeks ago in his thread Confession so it's not like this just happened to him overnight. Some might think it was his own decision. Certainly he has had time to plan for this action he took.

But he plays the victim well. You all fell for it :laugh:

This is very simple. Someone ask for help. I think all the advise and assistance has been good to include (and I am summarizing here) that he needs to focus and take charge not just this moment but in moving forward. He chose to ask, we chose to respond, he chooses what to do with the information. We connect or we don't. It is about helping people...because that is what we are suppose to do..it isn't about bonus points...just loving others. So that includes calling someone out if as the outsider that is what you see as you have done or making suggestions/providing information as others have deemed the way to help.

Edited by Allumere
  • Like 3
  • Author

Hi guys, I just want to update you on what I did.

Unfortunately, talking to Human Resources....I still would have to get it back from New York City, no matter what. Since I don't have any appropriate documentation, I'd have to write to Vital Records and go from there, so it'll be a while. Now, all I have to focus on is earning money for a ticket. And I'll need the papers to do so. But I already got an EBT card so food is no longer a problem.

I went to the library and posted an ad around the area, told the librarian of my story....told her to inform people of my story and to contact me via email(because I don't have a phone)

I really appreciate the help guys. At the end of the day, you have yourself. So you know, I know people have been in similar situations. That's the real world for ya.

That's why despite my difficulties, I know I'll be all right.

Rest is up to me.

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Author

I sat down, when I calmed down, and planned things out. I know my limits, even if it seems like I'm making excuses.

You guys were right about one thing, I need to be more proactive. So I came up with this plan.

Since my birth certificate is going to take a while to get...that won't be an immediate solution. It'll require some letters, a lot of paperwork, and a caseworker...at least that's what Human Resources said. NYC's Vital Resources hotline is automated...and because I'm adopted, I may have to find my adoption papers as well.

^So I can't worry about that immediately. I also go to church, so I posted an advertisement around my church for some menial tasks I can earn for some quick cash....see what turns up. I tried this in the past but with no luck. Maybe a sob story will help.

I'll save up the money to move to a more prosperous area and take it from there. In certain instances, even though I'm absolutely terrified right now, I am also an adult and I'm sure people have been through MUCH worse than I have. I'm still a little emotional but not useless. I just have to accept my situation and take it from there.

Yeah, I talked about in previous threads of this situation. Funny, now that it's happened, here I am crying. I guess I wanted to leave on good terms, but that's not going to happen.

I have to believe in my own intuition and keep moving...that's the key. Also have to believe in the goodness of people.

I know my town better than anyone. I did find a local breadbasket....:D So I'm good on the food part.

Here's hoping my church can help fund my venture.

Worse comes to worse...if nothing turns up, then I better start walking. The only brightside to being homeless...being nomadic is an adventure.

What? Trying to see the brightside.

So right now, earning some money, if only a little, is imperative...while sending letters to the folks at the NYC VR.

With my sister's death and all that's going on, I get a little emotional and stressed. Anyway guys, I think I will be all right. :)

• Like 2
GorillaTheater
I did find a local breadbasket....:D So I'm good on the food part.

Volunteer to help out there, doing whatever. If they're game, work your ass off for them.

Make an impression on these folks that you're someone willing to go the extra mile.

Individually, they'd be more willing to stick their neck out to help you find a job, serve as a reference, and help you out in other ways.

• Like 1