Calling All Recruiters Urgently

• Author
That wasn't what I was saying. Please read the posts thoroughly Leigh, you've been given this advice many times.

It may be possible for you to do both. I recommend going for the call centre interview, but taking the short term contract in the meantime.

If they haven't already the call centre will ask your availability, and you tell them you're committed to a 4 week contract and you can commence after that. Pretty standard practice for employers to wait 4 weeks for a candidate, and it likely won't even be that long by the time they came to a decision and proceed with an offer anyway (this can take around a week).

Well the call centre with the 6 month contract - the recruiter DID tell me that they would be happy to put me through to an interview with the company AFTER I gain that short term experience with outbound calls.

She seemed to prefer that route anyways - she said " look, you were great, you are an ideal candidate to represent our company HOWEVER - it is your lack of experience in a similar role that was the only draw back.

She ended it with " we would be happy to take you on and put you through to interviews with companies either now, or after your short term contract ends"

The Pro's about taking on the 6 month contract NOW, and which starts next MONDAY, is that it is 6 month of income. Unless I am fundamentally inept which I doubt (I believe most people can make it in sales in a call centre if they enjoy talking to people, can handle being abused by customers, and simply follow instructions and listen to what you are taught to do"

While the immediate 6 month contract role could provide me with a fulltime income which means SO much to me right now, I could also tank since I don't have prior call centre experience.

The short term contract ends rather quickly. But at least It is two weeks of a decent income, and I will get experience without the pressure of having to stick around for 6 months if it is just not for me.

I already know I enjoy talking on the phone to clients as I have done it a lot before. Making strict sales which is involved in a call centre role may not be for me I am not sure yet.

I HATE when people call me up from call centres.

However, it is not that bad considering we are only calling customers of the banks who already have set products, that we could add on to.

Well the call centre with the 6 month contract - the recruiter DID tell me that they would be happy to put me through to an interview with the company AFTER I gain that short term experience with outbound calls.

She seemed to prefer that route anyways - she said " look, you were great, you are an ideal candidate to represent our company HOWEVER - it is your lack of experience in a similar role that was the only draw back.

She ended it with " we would be happy to take you on and put you through to interviews with companies either now, or after your short term contract ends"

The Pro's about taking on the 6 month contract NOW, and which starts next MONDAY, is that it is 6 month of income. Unless I am fundamentally inept which I doubt (I believe most people can make it in sales in a call centre if they enjoy talking to people, can handle being abused by customers, and simply follow instructions and listen to what you are taught to do"

While the immediate 6 month contract role could provide me with a fulltime income which means SO much to me right now, I could also tank since I don't have prior call centre experience.

The short term contract ends rather quickly. But at least It is two weeks of a decent income, and I will get experience without the pressure of having to stick around for 6 months if it is just not for me.

I already know I enjoy talking on the phone to clients as I have done it a lot before. Making strict sales which is involved in a call centre role may not be for me I am not sure yet.

I HATE when people call me up from call centres.

However, it is not that bad considering we are only calling customers of the banks who already have set products, that we could add on to.

Ok.

So you didn't want advice after all?

• Author
What have you done for the last ten years? As in, give us a year by year run down from 2004 to date. The gaps may not be as obvious as you think.

I have already done that before. And ended up getting the job. Working for a fine china and glassware company (Royal Doulton and Royal Albert and the like).

I became close to the manager and did admit to her my past. On the first day or so of work she shouted me lunch and asked:

"so. tell me your life story".

And so I told her. That okay, I was ill and in hospital for a time, but I still at last managed to get some experience as a late teen/early 20 something before that illness really took hold of me.

• Author

Guys :D

I got an interview tomorrow for a highly regarded sports company who deals with the Aussie football teams - going to events with them, talking about new sports products.

It is not a call centre jobs, it relies on people who are image driven (ME - I am so vain and look immaculate when I go to work).

I feel really good! He said " thousands of people in Sydney want this job and cannot find work right now; what makes you think you deserve this opportunity, in job where you got major sporting events and talk to famous football stars about products?"

UGH. I had to really sell myself there.

I just stuck to facts, about the fact I would really enjoy to work with major sporting brands and getting to associate with new and exciting people every day, and lastly, that it was an amazing opportunity"

I did add that I am image driven too and I love to look professional and polished, which he said " were great qualities we look for in this job"/

Ugh this job is way more to my liking than selling finance products to banking consumers!!!!!!!!!!

Um, but like the bank interview, I will be very lucky if I get the job but one can only wish!

• Author
Ok.

So you didn't want advice after all?

Your advice has been polite and helpful.

I followed it in todays interview. Because you never **** me down or tried to tell me that I was lacking in success or anything else for that matter.

I agree that the short term contract role would be great.

Depending on how I then go in the sports sales interview, it would be a toss up.

I have already done that before. And ended up getting the job. Working for a fine china and glassware company (Royal Doulton and Royal Albert and the like).

I became close to the manager and did admit to her my past. On the first day or so of work she shouted me lunch and asked:

"so. tell me your life story".

And so I told her. That okay, I was ill and in hospital for a time, but I still at last managed to get some experience as a late teen/early 20 something before that illness really took hold of me.

No I'm not posting that as a sample question. I'm asking you to list HERE what you've done, year by year, since 2004.

• Author

I have two interviews tomorrow,

One Friday - for a sales and marketing company that brags about its " table tennis table, wi fi, xbox and free food" LOL.

Who really knows that these companies are like until you interview with them though....

I would prefer a face to face role as I enjoy presenting myself really well and enjoy wearing my new blazer and attire.

I am good friends with a guy I once dated. He has a similar role in sales and marketing where he takes clients out to get drunk while he closes deals with them..

In person, he is so softly spoken and pleasant! He has this million dollar smile, you honestly think he would be prone to being arrogant from looking at his picture alone.....

Yet he is just so mild mannered and lovely, yet he can suddenly become more outgoing with sales customers. He is just so far removed from arrogant or cocky in real life though, to his friends.....

I am not as lovely as him I am sure lol, (he is HOT and ...charming! Lol)

HOWEVER - I am not outgoing in person when it comes to social interactions, yet I do love interacting with clients and customers in professional settings.

So it could be a hit or miss in ANY of the upcoming interviews! I mean, all I have to go on is that I enjoy working in customer service.

I have no idea if I am what they are looking for beyond the fact I interview well on the phone.

The ONLY THING I know I do well is interview well over the phone - I have never NOT gotten past a phone interview.....

• Author
No I'm not posting that as a sample question. I'm asking you to list HERE what you've done, year by year, since 2004.

I am actually accessing my journal I wrote in hospital, as it is a blur for me.

High school - KFC worker for three years. Ages 15 - 16. I dunno wtf the dates were honestly, but 2004 was included because I remember being at KFC back then........when I turned 18 which was 2005.

2005 onwards - personal training, starting with Fernwood briefly ( I did my practical tests for my certificate four in fitness with them!) before I got a better offer in a private, tiny practice. I chose that over working for the larger company.

I was already anorexic by this stage sadly, but my hair was intact and I 'looked" okay, as it was not at its worst. I sought out therapy. I still seemed to hold onto a full time job with decent earnings. I believe I would have been fired at one stage except I was close with the training partner who believed in my training abilities and knew I was genuinely ill. He gave me a month at a time in hospital and ensured I had work when I got out. You do not meet many people like him.

I soon fell ill but continued working through to age 22 and had stints in hospital until I simply couldn't work anymore.

Since then, about 2007 ish, I have been in and out of hospital, I went to Hong Kong to stay with my parents from late 09 to mid 2010, and as soon as I got back to Aus I started Love shack in I think it was August ish of 2010. I tutored English to young children and one teenager for 2010.

SINCE then......

I only did crap dead end jobs once every few months when I was very ill.

I worked every year but not full time and only during stints where I was not paranoid, delusional or badly anorexic.

I will give you an example so you can try to comprehend how I operated during this difficult time: I would be doing better, get out of hospital, get a job soon after, it would all be good..

Then BANG. I was smoking weed with my wrong crowd of friends at the time, I would smoke instead of eat, and even tried drugs.

I would soon be back in hospital.

Rinse and repeat. I would basically get a really crappy stage in life, reach rock bottom again, and have to get to hospital.

Since I am a motivated person and I enjoy working, I would manage to get "better" enough to go and get a job, leave hospital, and yeah.

It was a vicious cycle.

So I don't really think it is wise to TELL employers this! I told ONE manager who I was close to. She understood where I was coming from and didn't blame me for NOT wanting to discuss it with her before we became close.

I mean wtf would you do to tell prospective employers? OH HEY, I am Leigh 87, life was going swimmingly until oops, I landed in hospital and did not really do a whole lot since my early 20's! LOL. Come on, I would not be getting all these interviews, some with reputable companies, if I were to be honest and tell them " oh GUESS WHAT! I didn't work for YEARS besides in dead end jobs, because I was too ill and took some drugs now and again and couldn't even manage to work?"

How does one go about explaining THAT ^^^? they don't. Or they would NEVER be employed.

• Author

SO far I have only had TWO employers that were actually okay with my illness - they thought I was motivated and hard working, therefore they still agreed to take me on in spite of my illness.

That still doesn't explain the huge gap - which by the way, even in this gap, I DID work most months out of the year but only in crappy food serving jobs, whereby I obviously didn't make a good impression in how I left them between 2 - 5 months of getting those jobs!

This year I did try to be a live in nanny but I was being underpaid the minimum wage and the job was intended for a migrant worker I later found out from the ex boss who admitted that they didn't think an native Aussie would be keen for the role.

I even tried to get café and restaurant work while I did the nanny gig fulltime - outside my regular child minding duties, I worked weekends at a patisserie which I have a referee for, who has told me that they will give me a good reference for my latest jobs I am going for.

Try to keep it just to a list. Fill in the blanks here -

2005 Personal Trainer

2006 Personal Trainer

2007 Personal Trainer

2008 hospital and any jobs?

2009 hospital and any jobs?

2010 Hong Kong and teaching

2011 ?

2012 ?

2013 ?

2014 nannying and ?

• Author

oh and currently I do event work serving drinks at corporate events, major sporting games and at concerts.

It is SO sporadic though - the work. Not just for me but for my friends in event work with my company.

I have recently applied for a company which my friend works for that has way more work available - and also they only do corporate events so you have to be really good or they fire you.

I have done this event style work since the end of last year.

I have only done about 1.5 years of college all up, sadly :( And I changed degrees twice.

I started in a science degree/dietetics and food science. There were no employment prospects and I couldn't do college level math, so I switched to humanities degrees which I had no drive for despite the subject matter being interesting.

Based on my employment and academic history, I really don't know how I could honestly put that on a resume.

As it stands I am getting lots of interviews! I am getting a CHANCE to get off welfare.

If I was 100% honest well, I would not have even gotten these interviews.

I am way too desperate to get off welfare to set myself back anymore than I already have been.

If anyone knows of a way to eloquently put in my resume that " hey I didn't work in a proper job for like, YEARS" and without lessening my chance of getting work, be my guests.

Heck, even my manager of the retail outlet of Myer admitted to me that " well, if I had known about your issues prior to hiring you then yes, I would have thought twice, but now I have gotten to know you I realise you are not a hazard"

She said she didn't blame me for covering an employment gap.

Maybe I could put " looked after ill father/ tried to manage entry level jobs whilst doing so?

My father being ill could be instead of admitting that I myself, was ill. Which by the way, is not a lie, as my father IS very ill and I do look after him partially.

I would be willing to put during the employment gap " looked after ill father and worked in customer service roles when possible, for short term contracts"

• Author
Try to keep it just to a list. Fill in the blanks here -

2005 Personal Trainer

2006 Personal Trainer

2007 Personal Trainer

2008 hospital and any jobs? Dead end jobs whenever I was well enough

2009 hospital and any jobs?Dead end jobs whenever I was well enough

2010 Hong Kong and teaching

2011 ?Dead end jobs whenever I was well enough AND COLLEGE

2012 ?Dead end jobs whenever I was well enough AND COLLEGE

2013 ?Dead end jobs whenever I was well enough WORLD TRAVEL AND COLLEGE

2014 nannying and ?

EVENT WORK AND I worked at a patisserie.

I then moved back home to my flat after I was being underpaid and I got sick of working 7 days per week (5 day a week nanny work and weekends at the patisserie )

I have already filled my resume in but instead of saying "dead end jobs", as the amount I had would be alarming...

I just put "lived overseas" or " worked for my ex training partner".

My ex training partner and I are close friends and he thought I would never get a job again after recovering if I was HONEST about my time being ill!

Plus since I actually did work for him and I actually did live overseas as a child, I didn't feel too bad about lying about my employment gaps.

As soon as I get my foot in the door of a job, that is when I can show them my work ethic and drive to succeed; lying can only get you so far.

I might be really good at a given job in spite of my employment gaps.

• Author
Leigh, I have a feeling that you are going to do just fine :) .......

Thanks I hope so.

I have never lied about a skill I had or a job I have done, I just covered in an employment gap pretty much and I have had recruiters and two ex bosses of mine admit that they think it was a wise idea for me not to include it in my resume.

See - people who hired me wouldn't have probably given me a look in because of my employment gaps, and yet I ended up being a good employer.

I did the casual retail gig just after I got back from Hong Kong and I quit before I started a food science degree full time so I was not there long.