Calling All Recruiters Urgently

todreaminblue
It is also stupid of me to come out and admit that I had a large employment gap.

I will absolutely never get a job.

Sorry but I don't deserve to stay unemployed for a reason that wasn't even my fault.

I want a job. I hate being on benefits. I will definitely not get a job if I am honest about my employment gap.

I either lie or be honest and never get a job.

it actually isnt stupid to explain you have been sick .....that you struggled for a while with a debilitating illness but you came through.....it wasnt easy and is admirable that you are now motivated knowing that you are better and eager to work...... it is behind you now....it a is a hell of a lot more admirable than lying.....deb

• Like 7

Leigh, how about saying you were a caretaker for a sick relative? Or was unable to work due to a personal matter? You don't need to go into detail. I think it's better than asking someone to lie for you. At my first professional job, I said I worked for a real estate company. I never mentioned it was my dad's business. I probably should have been honest about it as it was still experience and legitimate work. I think my boss did find out later that it was my dad's real estate business, but thankfully it wasn't a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Author

I just don't think it's any ones business in my real life, to know that I was ill for so long and out of work.

I am desperate to get off benefits and I don't feel lowly for lying because I know i can either remain on benefits and be honest, or get off benefits and lie a little.

I don't feel bad for doing what it takes to get off welfare.

I feel like a respectable, decent person in general and I never sweat it interviews.

todreaminblue
My father is genuinly I'll and I do take care of him.

i know you want to do admin leigh....but one area where i do think you would excel and be a challenge fro you is social sciences .....social worker....you said you worked on a suicide hotline you have suffered with an illness yourself.....i feel that even admin in a social workers office might be good......not only would you have expertise in dealing with people with mental illness and or physical illness such as diabetes....you do have the capacity to actually pick up skills and hone your level of compassion for others.....when i was a street kid......back in the age of dinosaurs..:0)...refuges need receptionists and they are likely to hire volunteers......domestic violence working with women and children .......

..i feel it would be a challenge for you....to increase levels of patience to handle difficult people and to try and see the other side of life......you could always try for admin in these sort of places not only to get a wage but increase your skill set do something really rewarding ....for others........to really open your eyes.....and saying you have been sick and come through is actually an advantage........deb

You talk a lot about what you do and don't deserve Leigh.

In my opinion, liars deserve nothing.

If you can justify your career gaps then do so. I think you'll find that people appreciate candid honesty over a CV that shows a bunch of irrelevant jobs for longer than you actually worked them.

If you do go down this route of lying about your history, what are you going to tell them when they ask why you haven't progressed very far given your age?

• Like 3
  • Author
i know you want to do admin leigh....but one area where i do think you would excel and be a challenge fro you is social sciences .....social worker....you said you worked on a suicide hotline you have suffered with an illness yourself.....i feel that even admin in a social workers office might be good......not only would you have expertise in dealing with people with mental illness and or physical illness such as diabetes....you do have the capacity to actually pick up skills and hone your level of compassion for others.....when i was a street kid......back in the age of dinosaurs..:0)...refuges need receptionists and they are likely to hire volunteers......domestic violence working with women and children .......

..i feel it would be a challenge for you....to increase levels of patience to handle difficult people and to try and see the other side of life......you could always try for admin in these sort of places not only to get a wage but increase your skill set do something really rewarding ....for others........to really open your eyes.....and saying you have been sick and come through is actually an advantage........deb

I dont want a low paid career.

I want the opportunity to have a family and mortgage.

Podiatry will help people. I can continue doing the suicide hotline volunteer work as a means of helping people.

Social workers get 40 k with little chance of progression. Podiatrists start on 60 to 75 K.

Plus I am far more interested in medical and the sciences than I am humanities.

• Author
You talk a lot about what you do and don't deserve Leigh.

In my opinion, liars deserve nothing.

If you can justify your career gaps then do so. I think you'll find that people appreciate candid honesty over a CV that shows a bunch of irrelevant jobs for longer than you actually worked them.

If you do go down this route of lying about your history, what are you going to tell them when they ask why you haven't progressed very far given your age?

I was a successful trainer, I did well tutoring children in English overseas and got paid highly for my services and have had parents buy my thankful presents when their kids improved their marks after seeing me.

How dare you say that I haven't progressed much for my age. I've had one successful career plus a stint living overseas. None of my friends or acquaintances thought I had not gotten very far in life for my age.

People that know me do admit that with my talents and intellect I could have gotten a lpt further however, no one says that being a personal trainer and tutoring Asian children in English, is " lowly " for my age.

I have also completed one and a half years of college with distinctions and high distinctions.

I don't regard myself as having done poorly for my age at all.

I did dead end jobs for four years or so but I studied in that time and got good grades for my college degree I was doing. I was developing people skills by working in customer service.

My event work has high end VIP clients so it isn't a sh it kicker job. Professionals do it on the side for extra money. I'm doing event work until I find a full time job and then study full time next year.

Please stop making comments on my lack of.progression in.life it is highly offensive.

• Author

They didn't quiz me on my resume.

No one has thus far.

They were just interested to know what experience I have had in sales and customer service.

I didn't have to lie.

If they ask me I will be honest then and say I was physically ill but I managed to secure casual and part time employment whilst I was ill and I also managed to completed over a year of a degree maintaining a distinction average.

By the way no interviewer for these types of roles ask for an academic transcript but I could provide one if needed :)

• Author

I am think the interview went well. I find out later today if I got through to the last stage.

I also just got offered an interview for another company.

I was a successful trainer, I did well tutoring children in English overseas and got paid highly for my services and have had parents buy my thankful presents when their kids improved their marks after seeing me.

How dare you say that I haven't progressed much for my age. I've had one successful career plus a stint living overseas. None of my friends or acquaintances thought I had not gotten very far in life for my age.

People that know me do admit that with my talents and intellect I could have gotten a lpt further however, no one says that being a personal trainer and tutoring Asian children in English, is " lowly " for my age.

I have also completed one and a half years of college with distinctions and high distinctions.

I don't regard myself as having done poorly for my age at all.

I did dead end jobs for four years or so but I studied in that time and got good grades for my college degree I was doing. I was developing people skills by working in customer service.

My event work has high end VIP clients so it isn't a sh it kicker job. Professionals do it on the side for extra money. I'm doing event work until I find a full time job and then study full time next year.

Please stop making comments on my lack of.progression in.life it is highly offensive.

I was referring to career progression only Leigh, which is completely relevant to the thread. And something you have mentioned yourself in previous posts.

At 28 you're delving into a career that has nothing to do with your past, people are going to want answers. I urge you not to answer them the way you just did me.

• Like 6
  • Author
I was referring to career progression only Leigh, which is completely relevant to the thread. And something you have mentioned yourself in previous posts.

At 28 you're delving into a career that has nothing to do with your past, people are going to want answers. I urge you not to answer them the way you just did me.

I think I'm on par with other 27 and 28 year olds. I earned 1500 per week as a trainer and was a team leader. I have been at a job that is to the level of my 28 year old peers. I held the position for more than three years. Then I fell ill and did casual and part time gigs at every chance I could get when I was well enough.

I am not bellow others for my age. Plenty of folks aren't in management roles by my age and hop from job to job on order to grab any opportunities.

Where I am in life now is on par with my peers. I am another out of work person who is seeking full time work until I commence mature aged studies.

My recruiter neighbour who is in a different line of work to me told me that my career trajectory is totally normal for my age despite the fact I fell ill.

So yeah I don't really have anything to explain in my interviews.

No one in their rightful mind would actually put in a resume that they were out of a proper job for years and ill in hospitality. No one would even offer you the chance of an interview. Several recruiters have told me that if I openly stated huge gaps on my resume, that u would never ever get work.

I don't feel guilty. I like who I am as a pereon and consider myself to be a very kind and generous girl.

However, I believe in order to.ever get off welfare, I do have to omit huge gaps on my resume. Sorry but I am not willing to remain on welfare and I am doing what have to in order to be given a chance.

Please no more comments about my employment gaps. Shut up seriously and leave it be.

Advice is to be strictly about interview techniques that convey how eager I am to get the job. I am genuinly positive and eager to work really hard and do well at whichever tasks I am given. I need help and tips please.

• Author

There is zero job security on Australia unless you are in a very senior position so it's common to see very over qualified masters degree holders in basic sales and marketing interviews.

Lol it is sad to say but I am very normal in comparison with my peers who lose jobs and attend interview for jobs in call centre and the like.

I dont want a low paid career.

I want the opportunity to have a family and mortgage.

Podiatry will help people. I can continue doing the suicide hotline volunteer work as a means of helping people.

Social workers get 40 k with little chance of progression. Podiatrists start on 60 to 75 K.

Plus I am far more interested in medical and the sciences than I am humanities.

If your plan is still to go into podiatry, how is it that you have only one year of uni left (as stated in one of your early posts)?

What did you tell them on the interview about the amount of schooling you have left? Are you lying about that too?

Telling people to shut up isn't nice. I think I'm getting a clue as to why your threads always go downhill. You only want people to agree with you; you're not here for logical advice.

• Like 3
There is zero job security on Australia unless you are in a very senior position

Lol it is sad to say but I am very normal in comparison with my peers

That's just not true.

• Like 5
I think I'm on par with other 27 and 28 year olds. I earned 1500 per week as a trainer and was a team leader. I have been at a job that is to the level of my 28 year old peers. I held the position for more than three years. Then I fell ill and did casual and part time gigs at every chance I could get when I was well enough.

I am not bellow others for my age. Plenty of folks aren't in management roles by my age and hop from job to job on order to grab any opportunities.

Where I am in life now is on par with my peers. I am another out of work person who is seeking full time work until I commence mature aged studies.

My recruiter neighbour who is in a different line of work to me told me that my career trajectory is totally normal for my age despite the fact I fell ill.

So yeah I don't really have anything to explain in my interviews.

No one in their rightful mind would actually put in a resume that they were out of a proper job for years and ill in hospitality. No one would even offer you the chance of an interview. Several recruiters have told me that if I openly stated huge gaps on my resume, that u would never ever get work.

I don't feel guilty. I like who I am as a pereon and consider myself to be a very kind and generous girl.

However, I believe in order to.ever get off welfare, I do have to omit huge gaps on my resume. Sorry but I am not willing to remain on welfare and I am doing what have to in order to be given a chance.

Please no more comments about my employment gaps. Shut up seriously and leave it be.

Advice is to be strictly about interview techniques that convey how eager I am to get the job. I am genuinly positive and eager to work really hard and do well at whichever tasks I am given. I need help and tips please.

There is zero job security on Australia unless you are in a very senior position so it's common to see very over qualified masters degree holders in basic sales and marketing interviews.

Lol it is sad to say but I am very normal in comparison with my peers who lose jobs and attend interview for jobs in call centre and the like.

I am advising on interview topics and techniques, as it's likely to come up.

I'm 28, and further than you in my career. Working in recruitment, in Australia, in a secure job.

But if you know better than me then that's fine.

I'll shut up as you requested.

Good luck, you'll need it.

• Like 4
The US has way less job security. Believe me, I've worked in both countries. :)

Gotcha. I'm not very 'worldly', I'll admit in a heartbeat. I do feel that healthcare and science are pretty secure here, but I'm sorta limited to personal experience. Thanks!

Adorable baby!!

• Like 1

And emigrating to work isn't exactly easy unless you've got skills that are worth an employer sponsoring you. Trying to emigrate without a job on a typical immigrant visa through the diversity lottery would take years.

• Like 2
  • Author
I am advising on interview topics and techniques, as it's likely to come up.

I'm 28, and further than you in my career. Working in recruitment, in Australia, in a secure job.

But if you know better than me then that's fine.

I'll shut up as you requested.

Good luck, you'll need it.

How rude.

I said I was about average for my age in terms of my career achievements ( I was in a higher than average paid job for over three years and have references for it)

I didn't say I was above average.

Sorry but I don't regard you as any more intelligent or " better " than I regard myself.

I don't know why you're wishing me luck and saying I need it. Why? I am well spoken, driven, and fairly academic and intelligent.

Why would I need any more luck than the average adult? Again, how rude.

I was a successful personal trainer until I fell ill...

I held a decent job years ago. Nothing since but stints in hospital, mental illness and the like.

I am not being honest and telling them that I had a large employment gap. That simple. I would never get a job of i was entirely honest.

Leigh,

You've written about being interested in personal training but never that you did it, let alone was successful and built up a clientele.

There are many posts here about doing a certificate for personal training. But it never went beyond fact-finding and initial training.

Nor, in the years you and I have been here, have you ever mentioned being a swimsuit model at any point in your life--until this week; when you've felt perhaps a bit defensive.

This is exactly why we are all encouraging you not to misrepresent facts.

Not only are they easily found out, one completely loses credibility.

I urge you to be truthful about your work past with any future employers.

It won't be fun to live with the worry of being found out.

• Like 5

Very true. I recently posted a thread on this. I am 25 with three years experience in marketing and having a hard time landing something with decent pay and full time. I want something stable and it's been anything but the past year.

• Author

It is still very hard for many people to get work in Australia.

Its not just lowly or unclassy folks that struggle. Educated, well spoken and amible often struggle to find work.

Just because you or your friends and family have an easy time findin, there are many decent and respectable individuals who simply cannot find a job.

I find it disgusting that people are commenting that I am a sub par person when I am every bit as intelligent as most full time workers.

I don't regard any of youlre highly than I do myself. I feel I am just as intelligent and that I have just as much going for me as any one else. Just because I fell ill and am not where I could be professionalu that doesn't mean I am less intelligent or ambitious.

I knowamy people that got laid off work who are highly intelligent and good with people. One is a lawyer and the other a pharmacist.

They simply cannot find work because there is none.

In the interviews I attend, there are out of work finance grads and many people with masters degrees who are simply not able to get off welfare. They dress impeccably and seem personable.

It's tough for a lot of decent people to find work sadly :(

• Like 1

Leigh, this:

Shut up seriously and leave it be.

Contradicts this:

I need help and tips please.

We are trying to help you but gaps ARE a serious issue that needs to be addressed and doing so in a fashion that involves fabrication will only and ultimately back-fire.

That is what we are trying to explain to you but you seem to gloss over it with some Disney-esque fairytale of how you are going to make it work but flipping the coin and asking for help.

Don't you see how duplicitous is comes across?

• Like 5