Calling All Recruiters Urgently

Such large or frequent gaps cause some to wonder why others haven't found you employable.

Good point.

OP, why are you having such a hard time finding a job?

• Like 1
  • Author
A gap should not ruin your chances but it could make it harder. Be very careful if you choose to lie. If they suspect you are lying or find out later that you lied after offering you a job, they will be mightily pi$$ed off and quite right too. You could find yourself being fired which would be even more damaging to your career.

My ex personal training partner said they would lie for me in order to cover my employment gaps.... And my friend from Hong Kong has also agreed to attest to me living there. They are a recruiter too for temping agencies.

I have the employment gaps covered lol.

• Author
Good point.

OP, why are you having such a hard time finding a job?

Because personal training was all I did. Plus swimwear modelling as a late teen.

I did a stint at college lasting two years in total.

I don't have formal experience in a professional, office job.

My ex personal training partner said they would lie for me in order to cover my employment gaps.... And my friend from Hong Kong has also agreed to attest to me living there. They are a recruiter too for temping agencies.

The truth is easy to keep straight. Lies are not.

Now you're involving others in a web of deceit. It's a horrible idea.

• Like 3
My ex personal training partner said they would lie for me in order to cover my employment gaps....

Bad, bad, bad idea...

• Like 3
Because personal training was all I did. Plus swimwear modelling as a late teen.

I did a stint at college lasting two years in total.

I don't have formal experience in a professional, office job.

You've never held a regular job?

The more people you involve in these lies, the messier it will get. You stand an even greater chance of being caught out. Lying when applying for a job is an incredibly bad idea.

• Like 4
  • Author
Where do you see yourself in five years?

How would you handle a call from an angry customer?

Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how you dealt with it?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

I had to work on my time management skills, for example, I found that I tried to fit too much into one day, too many back to back appointments and deadlines which would leave me.too stressed to carry out my job to the best of my ability. To combat this, I have since been using a diary and more specifically, work planner both electronic and a diary. I write in all my appointments and I include travel time. I haven't encountered any time management issues sincei I set about improving my formerly bad habits.

Strengths? I am highly organised and I have good I interpersonal skills.

How will you handle a high stress environment? Yes, from anyone age I started working in the customer service industry, having worked at KFC and McDonald's when I was 15, and having.worked in customer service ever since, I am well versed on having to not only.meet deadlines and try to reach sales targets for example, in personal.training and iny retail job selling china and glassware as a teenager. I had to be swift and efficient and meet targets whilst also maintaining a high standard of customer service.

Why do you want this job? Having tried a few different roles out that all involve customer service, I would like to work in a call centre because it is the ideal environment in which I can develop my professional skills in reaching targets and I feel that developing these skills will serve me well in my professional career. I like that this company gives you the option of reaching new heights if you work hard.

Can you work under pressure?

Yes, I learnt how to multi task at a young age and have to effectively know the rules and procedures of all our products, whilst dealing with angry customers and clients whilst also maintaining a high quality of service.

Your weakness was lack of organisation yet you are saying your strength is organisation. You can't have it both ways. It's great to say how you have found a structured approach to improve your time management but you need to think of another strength otherwise you are just talking about the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Author
The more people you involve in these lies, the messier it will get. You stand an even greater chance of being caught out. Lying when applying for a job is an incredibly bad idea.

Sorry but I will literally never get a job if I admit that I had a mental illness that landed me in hospital and therefore I didn't work for years albeit I did casual roles throughout and I did genuinly travel in that time as well as live overseas.

Look.it's a call centre job and I won't even be able to get the most basic job if I am honest with my large employment gap.

I won't get a job full stop of I am honest.

I am simply extending the time in which I lived overseas and I have a few referees tgat have agreed to attest to that.

It's a call centre job. I'm ginger basic dead end jobs to get me through college. They won't likely even call upy friends from the place I lived in briefly to verify it.

No other employer has ever actually rang to ask the dates in which I was overseas because I went for positions that were not worth verifying overseas travel or overseas stints.

Your 'weaknesses' is a whole paragraph, while your 'strengths' is a sentence. You've gone into way too much detail on one weakness.

Turn your time management into a positive, if it's under control.

• Author
Bad, bad, bad idea...

For dead end jobs carry they never call to verify your dates in which you did certain things.

These are dead end jobs.

none of my former employers called up anyone other than my referees.

In Australia for low down jobs they never call anyone besides your current referees. They have never done anything beside contact my cited referees, and none of my many friends have gotten called up on anything and employers of EVER contacted their referees only.

For career jobs yes they call up companies you worked for years ago.

For work at a call centre no they don't. I would know. I have a lot of friends lol.

Leigh

You asked for advise from people who recruit staff. We are giving you that advice yet you are choosing to ignore it. What do you want from us?

• Like 4
  • Author
You've never held a regular job?

I was a successful personal trainer until I fell ill and had years out of work beyond casual dead end jobs plus a stint living overseas. I taught English to children and did well in that regard though and even got presents from their parents when their marks in English improved.

I held a decent job years ago. Nothing since but stints in hospital, mental illness and the like.

I have many people who have agreed to testify that I was employed during my stint in hospital and also when I was top mentally ill to work.. My personal training parter who works for himself has.

For my casual event work I currently do, my referees were contacted but that's it! No one has had time to verify whether or not I was in hospital lmao.

My personal training partner works for himself and knows I'm a darn good worker so he is willing to lie and extend the time in which I worked with him :)

He knows I won't ever get a job if I tell the truth: that I was out of work for years through no fault of my own ( I had legitimate issues).

This is not a highly.professional job. It's for a call centre. They are not going to go to great lengths to argue with my friend who I have lied and said that I worked for, for a few more years than I truly did.

I am not being honest and telling them that I had a large employment gap. That simple. I would never get a job of i was entirely honest.

• Author
Leigh

You asked for advise from people who recruit staff. We are giving you that advice yet you are choosing to ignore it. What do you want from us?

I'm taking all the advice actually and will use it in today's interview.

The only thing I won't do is come out and say hey, I didn't work for years. I simply would never get a job.

• Author
Your weakness was lack of organisation yet you are saying your strength is organisation. You can't have it both ways. It's great to say how you have found a structured approach to improve your time management but you need to think of another strength otherwise you are just talking about the same thing.

Ok. My strengths are that I have good interpersonal skills ( I do make.friends from different walks of life easily),

Also, I enjoy thinking on my toes and taking a creative approach to solve certain problems ( when I taught English overseas to young children, none of them wanted to learn English so I found ways to teach them that actually captured their interest). I will.provide one quick example.

• Author

" in five yearss, I see myself reaching higher sales targets within this industry in sole capacity, I believe I would have moved up a level within the company by five years time that involves taking on more responsibilities "

Is that okay?

What should I answer to the where do you see yourself in five years questions.

todreaminblue

this is wrong for you to even consider on many levels leigh...if an interviewer has body language skills you are stuffed before you even begin.......deb

• Like 3
Ok. My strengths are that I have good interpersonal skills ( I do make.friends from different walks of life easily),

Also, I enjoy thinking on my toes and taking a creative approach to solve certain problems ( when I taught English overseas to young children, none of them wanted to learn English so I found ways to teach them that actually captured their interest). I will.provide one quick example.

It's thinking on your 'feet'.

Keeping you on your toes is the other one.

As for lying about your history, if employees even get a hint that this may be the case you'd better believe they'll check.

It's not a good idea by any means.

• Like 3
  • Author
this is wrong for you to even consider on many levels leigh...if an interviewer has body language skills you are stuffed before you even begin.......deb

It is also stupid of me to come out and admit that I had a large employment gap.

I will absolutely never get a job.

Sorry but I don't deserve to stay unemployed for a reason that wasn't even my fault.

I want a job. I hate being on benefits. I will definitely not get a job if I am honest about my employment gap.

I either lie or be honest and never get a job.

Hi Leigh,

I understand everything you're saying....and you're right - a call centre likely won't verify what's on your resume. I know because I've worked at two.

They will however want to know what experience you've had in sales.

• Author
It's thinking on your 'feet'.

Keeping you on your toes is the other one.

As for lying about your history, if employees even get a hint that this may be the case you'd better believe they'll check.

It's not a good idea by any means.

Look I'm not going to tell employers that I has a mental illness that caused a huge employment gap.

Recruiters tell me that I won't ever get a job if I am honest about not working for a few years.

My own recruitment consultant who is also a vase worker told me straight out that I will simply never vain employment if I am honest.

• Author
Hi Leigh,

I understand everything you're saying....and you're right - a call centre likely won't verify what's on your resume. I know because I've worked at two.

They will however want to know what experience you've had in sales.

I worked in two sales roles :)

todreaminblue
Look I'm not going to tell employers that I has a mental illness that caused a huge employment gap.

Recruiters tell me that I won't ever get a job if I am honest about not working for a few years.

My own recruitment consultant who is also a vase worker told me straight out that I will simply never vain employment if I am honest.

if you have to lie to get a job that job isn't for you.......whoever told you to lie and did so in a professional capacity ought to be fired....reported for starters.......no wonder you haven't been able to get a job with case workers who tell you to lie to procure employment....a job interview is hard enough to maintain composure without having to remember lies all the way through...stupid case worker....unethical slack ...misinformed.....deb

• Like 4
" in five yearss, I see myself reaching higher sales targets within this industry in sole capacity, I believe I would have moved up a level within the company by five years time that involves taking on more responsibilities "

Is that okay?

What should I answer to the where do you see yourself in five years questions.

Is it true?

Where do you see yourself in five years?And tell them that. No one believes you are going to be in a call centre job in five years. It sounds trite and rehearsed. They want to hear YOUR answer not what you think they want to hear.

I have two big gaps in my resume and I have always explained them by being honest. One was I took time out because I was ill. The other I took a redundancy and had the means to do what ever I wanted for a year. Both are true and have never been questioned.

The feedback from the bank is that you lacked specific detailed answers. The thing with lies is that you will lack specific detail. So just be honest.

• Like 4