Calling All Recruiters Urgently

How rude.

I said I was about average for my age in terms of my career achievements ( I was in a higher than average paid job for over three years and have references for it)

I didn't say I was above average.

Sorry but I don't regard you as any more intelligent or " better " than I regard myself.

I don't know why you're wishing me luck and saying I need it. Why? I am well spoken, driven, and fairly academic and intelligent.

Why would I need any more luck than the average adult? Again, how rude.

Rude? You want to know what rude is?

Asking for advice and then shutting people down when they give it to you. Telling then to shut up when they don't say what you want to hear.

As someone your age working in recruitment in your own country do you seriously not consider taking what in saying into account??

I never said I was better than you. You made that up.

And as for luck, everyone needs a little of it Leigh.

Quit reading into everything as a negative.

• Like 5
  • Author
Leigh,

You've written about being interested in personal training but never that you did it, let alone was successful and built up a clientele.

There are many posts here about doing a certificate for personal training. But it never went beyond fact-finding and initial training.

Nor, in the years you and I have been here, have you ever mentioned being a swimsuit model at any point in your life--until this week; when you've felt perhaps a bit defensive.

This is exactly why we are all encouraging you not to misrepresent facts.

Not only are they easily found out, one completely loses credibility.

I urge you to be truthful about your work past with any future employers.

It won't be fun to live with the worry of being found out.

I did work as one for years until I fell ill.

Unfortunately, most gyms change immediate rent and an upfront fee of thousands of dollars so it is no longer an option for me

I have a referee to substantiate my claims if an employer needs to validate my experience and past successes.

Personal training was the only thing I was good at before falling ill. And that was a fare few years ago.

Besides the training I've been in crap jobs lol and am now trying to better myself.

I did work as one for years...

Your past posts negate this.

Peoples' memories are long.

If a lie isn't detected on the front end, it likely will be on the back.

• Like 3
  • Author
Well crap! What are you gonna do then?

Well in spite of rejection I still look for work every day, I am doing unpaid work experience as we speak for admin and reception, I spent the little money I get on smart interview attire.

I constantly research ways I can improve my chances.

I get down a lot due to not working a full time job. But i still apply for over 40 jobs per day. That's what I average.

I have learnt to enjoy interviews which is nice and I feel it will help when I am confident and am no longer phased by standing up and introducing myself and talking about my experience and prior qualifications.

I actually enjoy interview now. I feel very positive because there may be a job at the end of it.

I am currenrly praying that unpaid work experience in admin and reception based roles will eventually land me a job :)

It seems hopeless at times when my very skilled friends cannot even get work despite an impressive resume. But I do believe there is a small chance I'll get lucky eventually.

• Author
Your past posts negate this.

Peoples' memories are long.

If a lie isn't detected on the front end, it likely will be on the back.

Well why on earth would I talk about what I had once been?

The fact I was once good at a job sure isn't helping me much, and my friends who have more experience in respectable careers cannot even find jobs.

It's sort of irrelevent to talk about what I accomplished when I was 18 to early 20 s. I mention the college entrance to score I achieved in 2010 and no one is impressed and that was a far more recent achievement than my old career.

It was a long time ago that I had a job I was good at. I have to focus on the present now which is customer service, they are more recent roles I've carried out.

I find it disgusting that people are commenting that I am a sub par person when I am every bit as intelligent as most full time workers.

I defy you to find ONE POST that states you are sub-par.

Seriously, Leigh, you have this pattern of extrapolating what is said to you and twisting it out of proportion.

• Like 3
  • Author

I just got offered a job for a month. It's a month long contract.

It's 26 per hour and you don't make sales or get commission. It's just a set wage.

Businesses have received an email about a government clean energy initiative and they already know we are calling them.

So I'll be working for two weeks to a month at 26 per hour and in my local area.

It's good practice for me at least!

Eternal Sunshine

Leigh your answers to interview questions seem vague, rehearsed and inconsistent. If any inconsistencies are caught in an interview be it on your CV or interview questions, you are out of the running.

• Like 1
  • Author
Leigh your answers to interview questions seem vague, rehearsed and inconsistent. If any inconsistencies are caught in an interview be it on your CV or interview questions, you are out of the running.

How can I be less vague?

These are sales and call centre interviews.

The job on Thursday isn't sales based as it is on a set wage and they said there are no KPIS.

As for my future interviews when my current contract runs out, how do I be less vague about call centre roles? I tell them that after working in personal training which is partially sales driven, I am looking to develop my sales skills and call centres seem to be a great place to start a sales career.

Can you please give me advice on how to be less vague?

Cheers.

How can I be less vague?

These are sales and call centre interviews.

The job on Thursday isn't sales based as it is on a set wage and they said there are no KPIS.

As for my future interviews when my current contract runs out, how do I be less vague about call centre roles? I tell them that after working in personal training which is partially sales driven, I am looking to develop my sales skills and call centres seem to be a great place to start a sales career.

Can you please give me advice on how to be less vague?

Cheers.

How will you respond when they ask to speak with some of your personal training clients? Because they might.

• Like 3

Good luck on the job, Leigh! I really do think you can address some of the gaps in employment with caring for a sick relative. My husband was out of work off and on a few years back, but he can address those since he was also in school full time.

• Like 1
  • Author
How will you respond when they ask to speak with some of your personal training clients? Because they might.

Clients from about five years ago lol.

I have my ex training partners number. It was him that I worked for and then we became partners.

He might have ex clients phone numbers.

I'm doing the best I can for a persons who's had set backs in life. Stop trying to allude to me not deserving a job. Stop picking to thing please.

More recent empowers calledy ex training partner and said he was a fine reference. They didn't ask for ex clients.

I have two more recent referees also from my event work and my short lived Patisserie job before the shop closed down. Both referees are recent from thos year.

• Author
Just Google it for petes sake.

That's what I did for my last interview and I got the job.

Well congratulations, you're the sort of person that can easily get a job.

I'm the sort of person who struggles to get jobs. I need more guidance and tips than a person like you.

• Author

Apologies I'm walking and typing sorry, caching trains home.

I travel daily to Sydney and spend all my benefits on attending job interviews. I don't get concession prices for public transport since the course I'm doing is online.

I am doing a darn good job of looking for hundreds of jobs per week and securing interviews.

Fingers crossed I'll get to work during college next year rather than rely on benefits. One can only wish.

I got feedback from a bar manager the other week. He said I was a very hard worker, working myself to the ground without asking for a break for a long trial. Unfortunately, he said I don't have enough experience in making cocktails. Which is don't, as I only serve wine and spirits to patrons of major sporting events and concerts I woke at.

So it's not the fact I'm hard working that hinders me. I'm just not making a good enough impression in order for anyone to employ me. I don't suck either acfoedijgyto their supposedly honest feedback. Although if I am strongly ill suited for a given job, I'd like to be told so I can pursue other things.

Edited by Leigh 87
  • Author

Can people please give examples of what they, the recruiter, likes to hear?

Thanks in advance. Only useful advice from now on please.

Tell me what recruiters like to hear and what they abhore.

Are you kidding me??!??!

You've had plenty of useful advice. You argued and/or ignored it!

• Like 6

They hate people lying to them, or twisting their employment history.

• Like 9
  • Author

Can people please post ON TOPC advice about WHAT recruiters want to here in an interview scenario?

I have never ever been in trouble over having Paul as a referee so it is not relevant. He has always been great at telling employers about my strengths and weaknesses when they called him up the times I made it to final rounds of interviews and then got the jobs albeit casual crappy jobs.

So my referee's are all fine and I don't need advice on them or my past thanks,

I am ONLY seeking advice on how to best answer questions that can be asked in an interview. I am doing something wrong and not impressing people hence why I have not gotten the first few jobs I have been interviewed for.

I would prefer people give a list of things they like and dislike about how interviewee's answer questions.

Like: truth, consistency, clarity, understanding, depth of knowledge, listening skills, confidence, acts on advice, good writing skills

Dislike: lies, vagueness, sense of entitlement, uncertainty, rudeness, being random or haphazard in answers, arrogance, stubbornness, sloppiness

• Like 2
  • Author

I have a dilemma.

I have an offer for a short contract job - two weeks to one month. Making outbound calls to businesses that have signed up for a government clean energy initiative, informing them of the product. It is a set wage and no commission or KPI.

I got a call back from this recruitment agency that I interviewed for today, and they are happy to put me through to the next round for the call centre job.

The first job is a short term contract which I think would be good experience for me. It is 26 per hour.

This other job is a 6 month contract that has a base rate of 23 per hour and where you meet targets.

Should I gain experience with the short contract role to see if the job is for me?

This other company with the 6 month contract recruits people every week, and said they would be happy to take me on at a later date if I was undecided about the role as it stands.

I was going to pick the short contract as it is in my area and I can get a short taste of making outbound calls, which would give me more experience for future call centre jobs.

I have a dilemma.

I have an offer for a short contract job - two weeks to one month. Making outbound calls to businesses that have signed up for a government clean energy initiative, informing them of the product. It is a set wage and no commission or KPI.

I got a call back from this recruitment agency that I interviewed for today, and they are happy to put me through to the next round for the call centre job.

The first job is a short term contract which I think would be good experience for me. It is 26 per hour.

This other job is a 6 month contract that has a base rate of 23 per hour and where you meet targets.

Should I gain experience with the short contract role to see if the job is for me?

This other company with the 6 month contract recruits people every week, and said they would be happy to take me on at a later date if I was undecided about the role as it stands.

I was going to pick the short contract as it is in my area and I can get a short taste of making outbound calls, which would give me more experience for future call centre jobs.

Did you inform the call centre that you are available immediately?

4 week notice periods are fairly standard so if you haven't already told them you can start immediately then you could work the 4 week contract, then go to the call centre once you're done.

Talk to the agency about this, it's what they're there for.

• Author
Did you inform the call centre that you are available immediately?

4 week notice periods are fairly standard so if you haven't already told them you can start immediately then you could work the 4 week contract, then go to the call centre once you're done.

Talk to the agency about this, it's what they're there for.

I was honest and told the interviewer from this morning, that yes I would like the 6 month contract but that as she was aware, I had no prior experience at a call centre, and I was wondering if it would be better if I went out and got a little experience with outbound calls, before coming back to their recruitment company and THEN putting myself forward for interviews with potential employers?

She said sure, they could be a way of doing things.

I am to call her by tomorrow with my decision.

I am going in to discuss the short contract role tomorrow. If I like the sound of it enough, I will give them my references, they will call them and I would start Thursday.

There is not as much sales presser with the shorter contract which I like - it is just to inform companies about the governments clean energy initiative which they have already signed up for; there is are no KPIs I have been told. They said it was a low pressure, good first job to have in a call centre insofar as outbound calls are concerned.

I am not sure I am cut out for a call centre role and frankly, I would rather just do the short term contract, gain some experience in making outbound calls, and then get into my admin unpaid experience more.

I hate sales and yeah I only wanted to do it for the money and because I enjoy working ANY job far more than I enjoy NOT working.

I am going to take the short contract, get some experience, and then get back into the unpaid work experience in admin and reception, jobs I actually WANT.

I was honest and told the interviewer from this morning, that yes I would like the 6 month contract but that as she was aware, I had no prior experience at a call centre, and I was wondering if it would be better if I went out and got a little experience with outbound calls, before coming back to their recruitment company and THEN putting myself forward for interviews with potential employers?

She said sure, they could be a way of doing things.

I am to call her by tomorrow with my decision.

I am going in to discuss the short contract role tomorrow. If I like the sound of it enough, I will give them my references, they will call them and I would start Thursday.

There is not as much sales presser with the shorter contract which I like - it is just to inform companies about the governments clean energy initiative which they have already signed up for; there is are no KPIs I have been told. They said it was a low pressure, good first job to have in a call centre insofar as outbound calls are concerned.

I am not sure I am cut out for a call centre role and frankly, I would rather just do the short term contract, gain some experience in making outbound calls, and then get into my admin unpaid experience more.

I hate sales and yeah I only wanted to do it for the money and because I enjoy working ANY job far more than I enjoy NOT working.

I am going to take the short contract, get some experience, and then get back into the unpaid work experience in admin and reception, jobs I actually WANT.

That wasn't what I was saying. Please read the posts thoroughly Leigh, you've been given this advice many times.

It may be possible for you to do both. I recommend going for the call centre interview, but taking the short term contract in the meantime.

If they haven't already the call centre will ask your availability, and you tell them you're committed to a 4 week contract and you can commence after that. Pretty standard practice for employers to wait 4 weeks for a candidate, and it likely won't even be that long by the time they came to a decision and proceed with an offer anyway (this can take around a week).

What have you done for the last ten years? As in, give us a year by year run down from 2004 to date. The gaps may not be as obvious as you think.

• Like 1