Assist Me with My Future Career.

This is a good video from RANZCR on careers in radiation therapy.

It doesn't go through a "day in the life" as such but I can give you that if you like.

One thing that this video leaves out is that fact that you have ZERO autonomy as an RT. none, what so ever.

So what you need to be a good radiation therapist:

- awesome communication skills, there is no room for error in understanding

- you need to LOVE working in teams as you will never, ever treat a patient on your own. There will always be at least two of you. It is all teamwork, all the time

- Patience, terminal illness doesn't make people happy

- Good eye for detail and good with written documentation

Its a big commitment so I would recommend a few days work experience to see if it is the sort of thing you like. I didn't like the team work and the lack of autonomy. I also found it to be unbelievably monotonous doing the same thing for 55 patients a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.

But I loved working with patients and I loved the science and quality side of it. I just hated being treatment fodder.

• Author
This is a good video from RANZCR on careers in radiation therapy.

It doesn't go through a "day in the life" as such but I can give you that if you like.

One thing that this video leaves out is that fact that you have ZERO autonomy as an RT. none, what so ever.

So what you need to be a good radiation therapist:

- awesome communication skills, there is no room for error in understanding

- you need to LOVE working in teams as you will never, ever treat a patient on your own. There will always be at least two of you. It is all teamwork, all the time

- Patience, terminal illness doesn't make people happy

- Good eye for detail and good with written documentation

Its a big commitment so I would recommend a few days work experience to see if it is the sort of thing you like. I didn't like the team work and the lack of autonomy. I also found it to be unbelievably monotonous doing the same thing for 55 patients a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.

But I loved working with patients and I loved the science and quality side of it. I just hated being treatment fodder.

Thanks so much. I find the described science behind it to be really, really fascinating.

Can you please tell me a little more about it when you get a spare moment? I am not talented at physics but I don't suck either. Do you do any pure physics courses outside of the first year?

Do you feel that the actual science you learn overall would be enough of a determinant to get one through the physics side of things, I'd the are not great at physics?

And lastly, do only students with the best marks get jobs? What was the rate of your peers getting full time work after graduating and how long did it take most students you know of?

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your advice so far.

Well apparently radiation therapy doesn't need you to be good at the hard physics in the traditional sense...

The degree and also the job at hand, I have been told doesn't contain physics in the every day job of retrieving medical xray images and helping to analyse the pathogens present.

He lives close by and has agreed to tutor me I'd I do radiation therapy....

Medical based, more scientific degrees that result in a career where u can diagnose or he'll diagnose and treat patients

An area that is very specific ( like focusing on purely feet or purely xray imaging all day long)

I felt podiatry or medical radiation science therapy degrees fit my bill.

I realize this may be a kind of a small point, since you are leaning toward podiatry, but I think you are still mixing up radiographic imaging, and radiation therapy.

Radiographic imaging or diagnostic radiography is the one where you use (electromagnetic) radiation to take diagnostic images (possibly including xrays, CT, MRI, etc...)

Radiation therapy is the one where you use electromagnetic or nuclear radiation to treat patients who have already been diagnosed, most often with cancer.

These are two different fields, but you seem to throw around different parts of them interchangeably. Is there one or the other you have in mind? I though I remembered ufo8mycat saying that the radiation therapy path would require more intensive study in physics.

• Author

I can only get into radiation therapy since my ATAR is too low for diagnostic.

I have never learnt physics. Although I got high distinctions in chemistry so surely I can learn physics with the aid of a tutor?

I could do three rather than for subjects first semester if I were to do radiation therapy, and use the extra time to study physics daily to get up to speed.

Honestly I REALLY like the sound of radiation therapy.

If it was at my local campus I think I'd pick radiation therapy. But I like the sound of both degrees. .......

I have a lot of research to do.

• Author
Chemical Engineering.

I am NOT good enough at math to make a career out of it.

My uncle had a fantastic career as a surveyor and project manager; he was an engineer.

I have never learnt physics. Although I got high distinctions in chemistry so surely I can learn physics with the aid of a tutor?

Physics is much more similar to math than it is to chemistry. If you hate maths, you're really not going to be too fond of physics.

Have you talked to your podiatrist friend about shadowing her for a few days?

Good luck!

• Like 4
Glinda.Good

Social work I picked because it was easy.

You wrote several dozen times that it was your true passion, Leigh.

If you want to be taken seriously, you will need to own the things you've posted in the past. If you have forgotten, go back and read.

I got high distinctions in all my chemistry and biology subjects and science is where my interest has always lied.

That's great; however, you probably need to stop resting on the laurels of how well you did in high school. That was over a decade ago.

Frankly - and I really hope you will consider this - I really believe that you need to get yourself together at a very basic level before you make big plans for your future.

You always try to start at the top and work down. Nothing can be built without a solid foundation. Building your foundation is what you should be doing. Unless you are consciously trying to just fill your life with writing on the Internet about your plans rather than actually LIVING any of them.

You told us that you were going to therapy regularly. How is that going?

• Like 7
  • Author
Physics is much more similar to math than it is to chemistry. If you hate maths, you're really not going to be too fond of physics.

Have you talked to your podiatrist friend about shadowing her for a few days?

Good luck!

We are good friends. She has told me over the past years exactly what she studies. She has talked a lot about her subjects. She has told me what she does as a day to day podiatrist.

You don't learn anything other than soft math and physics - it is not even an actual course, it is contained WITHIN a medical unit, and you are introduced to simple math and physics concepts that can be applied to podiatry. You don't spend more than a month on math /physics. They go over the year 12 basics and explain how it is relevant to some aspects of say, biomechanics which is a subject.

After the one month, you do not actually do any math or physics. It is really not a math or physics heavy degree.

Plus I have a local tutor at hand who I have already requested their services. They have agreed.

Where as radiation therapy has actual physics subjects for nearly one year. Straight physics as a course.

My strengths lie in chemistry/medical subjects that involve learning about the body and the cells of the body, and how everything ties in together (physiology).

So I am going for a degree that is:

Podiatry:

- local, contains mostly subjects that cater to my natural academic aptitudes, and where most grads seem to get full time work lined up before they graduate if they are serious about going about getting it.

Radiation therapy is:

- not local and is a 5 hour a day round trip, it would be much harder for me to pass let alone excel in (but I am sure I would do it with hard work), and it contains less of my academic strengths.

I will then put oral health as a third choice because it is has many of the same subjects as podiatry and isn't math or physics heavy and has similar job prospects with similar pay checks albeit less long term progression, salary wise.

Oral health is also LOCAL.

Occupational therapy would be a great career which I could envision myself doing well, however; it is way too saturated, is also a 5 hour day trip, and it is NOT SPECIFIC.

I really like the notion of very SPECIFIC degrees. Feet, dealing with mostly oncology patients, or the mouth.

• Author
You wrote several dozen times that it was your true passion, Leigh.

It is a true passion. I loved the idea of learning about social problems and how to go about addressing them.

However, I am more into science and medical based subjects on an academic level. I feel more fulfilled learning anything science than I do writing endless essays for an entire degree.

I know I am much more suited to a science degree opposed to humanities.

If you want to be taken seriously, you will need to own the things you've posted in the past. If you have forgotten, go back and read.

That's great; however, you probably need to stop resting on the laurels of how well you did in high school. That was over a decade ago.

It was in 2009. I am intelligent in certain areas and always got good grades in chemistry and biomedical subjects.

Because they interest me and I became obsessed with any material pertaining to those subjects.

Frankly - and I really hope you will consider this - I really believe that you need to get yourself together at a very basic level before you make big plans for your future.

I am 28 and I don't have time to sit around and scratch my bum. I have ALWAYS known I would get a bachelors degree since I was very little. Through no pressure from my parents.

I am academic and enjoy studying a lot. I am not claiming to be a genius.

I know for a fact I want a science degree, in the health sciences, with medical based subjects.

I also want a very specific degree opposed to a general one.

You always try to start at the top and work down. Nothing can be built without a solid foundation. Building your foundation is what you should be doing. Unless you are consciously trying to just fill your life with writing on the Internet about your plans rather than actually LIVING any of them.

Yeah so at 28 I am supposed sit around and continue trying o find jobs as a waitress or retail worker or nanny, and still missing out on these unskilled jobs?

No thanks, I have a brain and I want to use it to obtain a career.

You told us that you were going to therapy regularly. How is that going?

My therapist has been with me for a while now and she is adamant that I am ready to commence study.

She was also aware of when I wasn't ready.

She knew very well that I picked social work because I felt I couldn't do a science degree because I was too far removed from HSC science and math.

Social work and the like were my " well I cannot do the degrees I truly want but I will settle for these ones since I am at least interested in the subjects studied"

I am going after my FIRST choice now, in spite of the level of difficulty.

Everything I have been doing has not been remotely what I wanted. I didn't want to be a nanny. I did it for money and enjoyed some aspects of it.

Leigh, in September 2010!, your first choice, and passion, was food science, and you were getting ready to start.

Can you not see how people think you're running in circles here? Think what degree you might have if you had started with the basics - getting the courses that are common to any degree - before even giving specialization a second thought.

How many courses do you have under your belt that would apply to any degree? Your electives. Did you pass the course you were taking as you started the nanny job? I don't recall you even mentioning studying once you started working, even tho you had allocated all that time in the evenings, when the kids would be self sufficient and not need your help. :rolleyes:

Start with basics, and learn how to stick with something. It seems to be a common theme with you, whether it's a job, a class.......

• Like 3
  • Author
Leigh, in September 2010!, your first choice, and passion, was food science, and you were getting ready to start.

Can you not see how people think you're running in circles here? Think what degree you might have if you had started with the basics - getting the courses that are common to any degree - before even giving specialization a second thought.

How many courses do you have under your belt that would apply to any degree? Your electives. Did you pass the course you were taking as you started the nanny job? I don't recall you even mentioning studying once you started working, even tho you had allocated all that time in the evenings, when the kids would be self sufficient and not need your help. :rolleyes:

Start with basics, and learn how to stick with something. It seems to be a common theme with you, whether it's a job, a class.......

Food science was a passion and still is.

I never recovered from dropping that.

The reason I dropped out was because I didn't want to learn math and I had mental health issues that made it near impossible to function properly.

Had I started the course now? I have no doubt I would have stuck with it. I have had therapy for years now on and off, mostly on, and I am now very eager and ready to tackle hurdles like learning math AND physics if need me. I don't care about learning math now.

Honestly, I could barely function back in 2010, much less handle a genuinely challenging obstacle such as learning math from scratch pretty much.

Food science is the first degree I had in mind when I finally said " enough is enough, I am going to go after what I truly want rather than what I "think" I can get more easily" Sadly, not even dieticians can get jobs much less the lower ranked nutritionist and food science grads.

I always wanted to do either food science or some other health science. Hence why I started with food science.

I was too lazy and mentally riddled with problems to attempt the level of difficulty required to do the degree I WANTED, so instead I attempted two other degrees I didn't like as much, but that I did really feel passionate about certain topics that were discussed within the degree.

It is a few years later, I have had therapy for a while now. I have gone from having no friends, boyfriends, or a semblance of a normal life, to now having friends (and decent quality types at that with integrity and a good degree of human decency), boyfriends, I have started to work part time or full time at the live in nanny job albeit briefly.

Going from no friends whatsoever to having friends, from not having a boyfriend for over four years to having a lot of experience with men and one long term boyfriend lasting over two years, and going from not working at all due to illness to working some of the time and at least TRYING to work, are all signs I am not more ready to study my ideal path.

I had the same idea back then in 2010 and when I was little, as I do now in 2014; my ideal career is based in the health sciences.

The difference between now and then is: then I wasn't able to do what it took to study a bachelors degree. Now: I have many fundamental things in my life in place and I know I am ready to start up study again in my ideal area of interest. Then: I wanted to avoid working hard because of my fragile mental state, so I picked degrees that were secondary to the science degrees I truly wished for. Now: I have what it takes to study a science degree.

• Author

I didn't want to study full time on top of working 40 plus hours a week in a house with a woman I disliked, in a degree I was lukewarm about but was only doing because it was easy and I know I would pass.

I know the subjects I excel at and that I enjoy. I know the degrees that best fit my strengths.

I am 28 and starting a degree in an area I already know I enjoy is the best thing for me. To get a degree over with, in an area I most enjoy studying, and that has predicted job prosects.

There isn't a path that isn't a bachelors degree that will allow me to treat and diagnose specific medical and health problems.

I know myself a great deal more than you do. There is absolutely no way I will become lukewarm or whatever about any future degrees because I have gone through a process of self discovery and have reached a stage where I am very confident with my decision.

I have literally tried EVERYTHING I suspected I could enjoy. Travel sales courses, social work, social science, food science, sales, nanny jobs, retail work, waitressing work. Personal training...Based on trial and error I have a better, not worse or similar, understanding of what I want for a lifelong career, than I once did in 2010. I know more about myself, not less. Given I have tried all sorts of jobs and courses, both on diploma and college levels.

You are erroneously assuming I am no closer to finding out what I even like or enjoy than I did back in 2010. You are highly insulting to assume that I have not at least deduced the areas where I am passionate about academically. Your advice is NOT helpful, thanks for trying to help:o but I believe I know what is best for me at this stage. I do not need more time off from completing my education.

I want advice on DEGREES thanks, that are in the health sciences and you think could be a good fit for a person with my likes and dislikes.

I do not need more time off college, or to spend "more time" "figuring out" what it is I actually enjoy. I have tried enough things to have a fair idea what I truly wish to dedicate my life to in terms of career options.

I am confident in my decision and only want career based advice at this stage please.

Eternal Sunshine
I have a science degree from Australia. A 3 year degree won't get you far. I did a fourth honours year where I researched a project and wrote a thesis. Best decision of my life and it increased my employability.

You need to be set on what degree you want. Flip flipping and making rash decisions will only lead to heartbreak. I knew for ages that I loved science and that's what I got into after high school. You only just got this idea, please just make sure it's what you want before you commit and start paying fees. Just be wary that the whole point of the course description is to make it sound good. Don't trust it one bit. It's their job to sell you this degree. Research the realistic possibilities of actually getting a job in the field and what that degree is really worth. No degree description is going to admit they're crap.

Ultimately you have to decide what's important to you. I decided that money was very important to me, so I joined a pharmaceutical company ;) The money is great even though the work can be boring sometimes. You have to decide what you want, and what you can sacrifice.

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you work on average and do you make 6 figures?

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

BTW Leigh, physics is like maths only harder. I was always great at maths and only mediocre in physics.

• Like 4
BTW Leigh, physics is like maths only harder. I was always great at maths and only mediocre in physics.

Same here. I had to take my 200 level physics course at a community college to get thru it, after dropping it at the university. I did fine with statics and dynamics, but physics? Yuck.

• Like 1
  • Author

Luckily podiatry doesn't contain physics.

Even radiation therapy only has one or two semesters in basic physics.

I could learn the basics. Maybe. I mean I'm not stupid, so if I worked hard I imagine I could pass basic physics.

Podiatry is my first choice.... Radiation therapy my second. At most I will need intensive tutoring to help me pass first year physics.

I will look into the radiation therapy course units more before listing it as my second choice. Oral health is degree with very similar courses to podiatry and with similar pay and employment outcomes and also located locally.... With no physics.

I am so relieved that many health sciences avert the hard physics and focus on say, chemistry or biomedical subjects with little or no physics.

I agree. Leigh, I can understand if you were about 8 to 10 years younger switching your degree choice (I know I changed mine a few times)...but you're 28 and should have a pretty good idea of the direction you're going in now without changing your mind constantly.

This is in Australia remember :laugh:

As a new grad I have been advised that she will have to start in administration on a 40 ish K job and work her way up to HR.

That isn't much different than what it would be in the U.S. You have to be competitive in most employment markets today.

• Like 2

One of the reasons I decided against nursing was all the science courses like Chemistry...even worse than math....very complicated. If you don't get math, you won't understand things like Chemistry or Physics.

Each of those sciences have logics of their own. I'm great at chemistry. After a certain level, I struggle with math. Meanwhile, I tend to do well in physics because I somehow find it easy to envision time and space components. (I find it concrete).

What I'm saying is: Leigh won't know what her skills are until she either 1. Takes an aptitude test or 2. Try the courses.

Leigh, have you seen a career councillor? Have you taken an aptitude test? This could really help guide you in your decision. It will also ensure you succeed at your degree. The closer the match between your aptitudes and your degree, the likelier you are to succeed.

Taking an aptitude test now can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

• Like 4
Same here. I had to take my 200 level physics course at a community college to get thru it, after dropping it at the university. I did fine with statics and dynamics, but physics? Yuck.

Ha! Physics really polarizes people. I loved physics. I found it was more intuitive than a lot of the other sciences. I'm not good at memorization so I was terrible at chemistry but I liked how physics was purely about problem solving.

• Like 1

Leigh, my advice:

Make an informed decision by taking a course in each of the subjects you're interested in, even if it means taking an extra semester or two at college. Narrow it down to the few that you do well in and enjoy; take higher level courses in those subjects and repeat until you've narrowed it down to one field of study.

Edited by tuxedo cat
Luckily podiatry doesn't contain physics.

Even radiation therapy only has one or two semesters in basic physics.

I could learn the basics. Maybe. I mean I'm not stupid, so if I worked hard I imagine I could pass basic physics.

Leigh, you seem to think that you know exactly what this course is like and you simply don't

The physics isn't basic. You will always be doing maths. Just because 'physics' isn't in the subject title doesn't mean it isn't in everything you do, all of your clinical practice and planning involves applying principles of radiation physics.

You seem adamant this course is basic. It isn't. Anything with dosimery is physics.

http://medicalphys.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/faiz-khans-01.pdf

Start reading this PDF, you can discuss with your tutor and get a head start. Given your academic interest you should enjoy getting your teeth in to it.

The job situation is ok for graduate radiation therapists. Not as good as when I graduated where there was 38 graduates and over 60 jobs. I had a friend return from the UK recently and then only job she could get was in Orange. So you may need to be prepared to relocated.

Also, this approach of insisting you are right despite evidence to the contrary doesn't really convey that you listen and absorb what others say.

It comes across that you don't take on board feedback, this will stop you getting a job in health more so than grades.

• Like 2
Out of curiosity, how many hours do you work on average and do you make 6 figures?

Hehe no! I'm only 23 and it's my first graduate job, but I'm still on 70k PA, which I think is not bad for my experience. I work 38 hours each week, with any extra as paid overtime. The workplace is highly unionised so conditions are great. I'm pretty happy overall.

• Like 3
  • Author
Leigh, my advice:

Make an informed decision by taking a course in each of the subjects you're interested in, even if it means taking an extra semester or two at college. Narrow it down to the few that you do well in and enjoy; take higher level courses in those subjects and repeat until you've narrowed it down to one field of study.

I need to enrol in a degree to do any courses. Podiatry contains: biomedical, all things anatomy and physiology, and just being really thorough with learning where all the bodies systems are located and how they interact (physiology). PLUS a lot od cell biology, you learn every type of cell and their function and how they all interact.

We did a LOT of first year podiatry stuff in year 12. Those were the subjects I got all 85 plus on, high distinctions. I am not a genius but I am reasonably good at memorizing and forming an efficient study pattern to learn such subjects.

I have done a few first year podiatry courses briefly before and got all 8/10 OR MORE.

That was for food science back in 2010. It has a few courses podiatry also offer. The same courses.

In which, when I was confronted by the math course, I ran. I was mentally very fragile at the time (real issues, mind you, not fluffy " oh I am just a but off colour")

So I already know I can handle podiatry courses and although MOST science based degrees are a real challenge even for bright students, I will do just fine if I work hard.