Assist Me with My Future Career.

todreaminblue

Leigh, i am like you i have no idea what i really want to do ....i have to focus.......so i decided to go back and get my yr 12 in a year to study as many subjects as i am allowed to, at an advanced level with sciences, maths and to study law as well....and then i have a year to make an informed decision going on grades and my passion and hopefully being able to get a scholarship if i can ace it......i am passionate about a lot of things.....and i know i have potential...but i have no direction...if i can stick to getting my hsc and do that fro a year it will be prep for me to study something major i dont want to do university till i know without one doubt in my mind it is my chosen path.I am excited and resolved to go back to school...i know you dont need to ....but you do need focus......you do need a choice that you wont change from tomorrow or the day after....... i do know you need to be completely driven to finish and succeed...i need time to do that to make sure i make good choices and i succeed with whats right for me to succeed in...i want no regrets and complete satisfaction......so i can commit.......maybe you need more time leigh to make sure you are doing whats right for you to succeed leigh ...more research and defintely more time...you do know its ok to admit you arent sure yet and take the time you need to be sure...what is your motivation to be a podiatrist...and no you cant be sick on the day you have to do needles...you have to want to give them and to know how to \,you have to have passion for the needles......to bring comfort and care to a patient...deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Author

What I really find attractive about poditary is that you get those 1000 hours of clinical practice.

You can graduate and actually have experience.

The degree also dictates that after year two, students have the option of getting a certificate which will qualify us to start working as a poditary assistant. So I will be cramming that certificate in somehow, so I can get to working in the field IN ADDITION to my 1000 hours placement.

I am not liking the sound of all the physics involved in medical radiation therapy. Australian students tell me the physics isn't hardcore at all, you just do a basic physics 101 to begin with and then you don't do more physics that is not directly related to the actual job at hand. Which still isn't full on physics.

There are no actual straight physics courses bar the first year, for basic physics.

A bachelor of oral health is my second or third choice since it is also a very specific degree and delivered at my local campus.

1. Bachelor of poditary ( easy to get into due to lower demand from students applying, and LOCAL)

2 bachelor of diagnostic medical radiation ( hard to get into and venerated, best degree possible for students in this field. Two hours away so a five hour round trip but I love the idea of medical radiation science as the career I live and breath)

3 bachelor of oral health ( hard to get into but it is local and focuses on a very specific area)

4 bachelor of occupation therapy ( hard but only 88 to get into when I got 92.5 is)

5 bachelor of radiation therapy ( quiet easy to get entry into)

Those are the courses I am listing in order of which I most wish to study.

I will.research a day in the life of.....each a lot more though.

I am looking to pick a degree that will result in a hands on and involved career. I want to get my hands dirty.

I like that poditary and oral health are so local. If a bachelor of oral health turns out to have better prospects I will consider doing that. It is hard to get into...... You need 89 or 90 and I only scored 92.5

I will be research the four year bachelor or oral health more extenively.

I love the notions focusing on just ONE body part or area, and obsessively studying and working with a very small area. I have a bit of an oddball personality.

I am known to get very passionate and manic about a small area. I am a bit on the spectrumybut have developed quiet reasonable social skills.

• Author
Leigh, i am like you i have no idea what i really want to do ....i have to focus.......so i decided to go back and get my yr 12 in a year to study as many subjects as i am allowed to, at an advanced level with sciences, maths and to study law as well....and then i have a year to make an informed decision going on grades and my passion and hopefully being able to get a scholarship if i can ace it......i am passionate about a lot of things.....and i know i have potential...but i have no direction...if i can stick to getting my hsc and do that fro a year it will be prep for me to study something major i dont want to do university till i know without one doubt in my mind it is my chosen path.I am excited and resolved to go back to school...i know you dont need to ....but you do need focus......you do need a choice that you wont change from tomorrow or the day after....... i do know you need to be completely driven to finish and succeed...i need time to do that to make sure i make good choices and i succeed with whats right for me to succeed in...i want no regrets and complete satisfaction......so i can commit.......maybe you need more time leigh to make sure you are doing whats right for you to succeed leigh ...more research and defintely more time...you do know its ok to admit you arent sure yet and take the time you need to be sure...what is your motivation to be a podiatrist...and no you cant be sick on the day you have to do needles...you have to want to give them and to know how to \,you have to have passion for the needles......to bring comfort and care to a patient...deb

I dont agree that I have absolutely no idea lol.

I know a specific science based medical profession is what I truly want.

I know the area I want to live and breath. I have tried humanitiesy based degrees and I am without a doubt that they do not light my academic fire. Not my passions.

I have a fairly good idea of who I am and what area ( medical) I wish to dedicate my career to..

Good for you, for going back to school.. ...I also did this and I loved the sciences and hated the linguistics courses. Bleugh. Give me hard science over endlessly writing essays any which day...... Hard sciences do not scare me, I have again chance at handling them since I genuinely enjoued the easier year 12 chem and biomedical.

Australian students tell me the physics isn't hardcore at all, you just do a basic physics 101 to begin with and then you don't do more physics that is not directly related to the actual job at hand. Which still isn't full on physics.

There are no actual straight physics courses bar the first year, for basic physics.

And the physics related to the job at hand is complex. It is still physics - have you looked at the content of instrumentation for radiation therapy and radiation therapy methods and practice?

Have I said anything that indicates that my experience isn't Australian? :confused:

I wonder Leigh if this is why people get a little frustrated in your threads, your sheer confidence in what you see as being 100% accurate when people try to explain that you may not be seeing the full picture. Knowing a day in a job is really important. My job as a graduate radiation therapist was so far removed from my degree it wasn't funny.

Can you outline what you think your day as podiatrist might look like? Or as a radiation therapist or oral health?

• Author
I have no idea who would say that and I would genuinely question their knowledge of the course or the job. With increasingly complex procedures the maths and physics requirements are increasing. I never had much to do with multiple material attenuation coefficients there 3D photon beam modelling in year 12 physics but I had lots to do with them at uni and at work.

The criticism of Newcastle grads (MRS and medicine mostly) is that they lack the hard knowledge and skills of the basic sciences required as a graduate due to the problem based learning methodology that they use in health sciences.

You can be sick that.... and probably not pass the course :) We all had to learn to take blood. No pass, no degree. Bam! They get you somehow.

A bachelor of oral health, also offered at my local uni, is also an option.

A bachelor of diagnostic medical radiation science is too hard to get into.... My marks literally just hit the requirements. Literally on the exact decimal ( my score: 92.4 or 5 ish or maybe I go 93, I forgot) . Entry into diagnostic is 92.3 and rises each year :(

So that leaves the inferior version of that degree which there is no point doing since the diagnostic radiation medical students will all get jobs over the more inferior radiation therapy students ( they do one less extra year than diagnostic students....)

Bachelor or oral health is also technical and hands on is offered locally and has less physics than a bachelor of medical radiation science. I don't mind learning physics but I doubt I have the aptitude to become good or great at physics.

So poditary or oral health bachelor's are now my too runners... Based on proximity, not needing to be great at physics, and the fact they are both obsess over very specific areas of the body).

Both local degrees. medical radiation and occupational therapy are 5 hours a day worth of travel.

• Author

I have viewer what the daily life of a poditarist is like. Plus a good mate is a poditarist and highly recommends it.

I am now in the process or studying the daily lives of oral health and medical radiation science grads.

I won't even bother with radiation science if I fail to get into the more sought after degree anyway since the three year version won't likely land me a job due to all the superior four year grads getting the jobs first and foremost.

So that leaves the inferior version of that degree which there is no point doing since the diagnostic radiation medical students will all get jobs over the more inferior radiation therapy students ( they do one less extra year than diagnostic students....)

:p

First time I have been called inferior - ever!!

You do realise these are totally different areas don't you? One takes x-rays, the other treats patients with cancer? One isn't superior to the other, they are totally different jobs, totally different registrations and in no way interchangeable?

A diagnostic radiography student would never get a job over an inferior radiation therapy student as they are..... completely and totally separate jobs. Totally separate bits of the hospital too - only a small number of hospitals offer radiation therapy where was everyone does imaging.

They are also both three year courses. Not four.

What is with the focus on UAI? It reflects the popularity of the course not how hard it is.

I earn a lot more than most senior superior diagnostic radiography types even with my inferior degree. I really don't understand this focus?

Edited by ufo8mycat
TigerLilly78

I believe foot doctors have to deal with some extremely unpleasant things and people who are in pain plus the ones with poor hygiene the feet can get really nasty if not cared for properly you sure you want to try that?

• Like 1
  • Author
:p

First time I have been called inferior - ever!!

You do realise these are totally different areas don't you? One takes x-rays, the other treats patients with cancer? One isn't superior to the other, they are totally different jobs, totally different registrations and in no way interchangeable?

A diagnostic radiography student would never get a job over an inferior radiation therapy student as they are..... completely and totally separate jobs. Totally separate bits of the hospital too - only a small number of hospitals offer radiation therapy where was everyone does imaging.

They are also both three year courses. Not four.

What is with the focus on UAI? It reflects the popularity of the course not how hard it is.

I earn a lot more than most senior superior diagnostic radiography types even with my inferior degree. I really don't understand this focus?

Oh I am really sorry. I wasn't educated on the difference between the two:o

Awfully sorry I absolutely do not think you are in anyway inferior. In fact, I have a lot of for you and your fellow students. I would love your career based on the day to day description of others in your career! Sadly, I fear I may not be smart enough.....

Sorry I just assumed they were over saturating the market by providing two degrees that did essentially the same thing.

• Author
I believe foot doctors have to deal with some extremely unpleasant things and people who are in pain plus the ones with poor hygiene the feet can get really nasty if not cared for properly you sure you want to try that?

Yes I am aware.

I want to become an expert of close range, technical medical based professions.

I want to see either feet, teeth or what have you, up close personal and raw. I want to see the worst that is out there.

I know it may seem odd to the outsider, but I truly to want to get very close and personal with a specific body part on a daily basis.

I have always been obsessed with how people die, does I hurt, and also what happens to bodies when they pass...since I was under 10. I have always had such a fascination with the... Slightly more hardcore components of being human, alive or dead.

Trust me lol. I am definately one of those strange people who actually want to see the worst there is out there up very close and personal, be it teeth or feet.

I just don't feel.." like me" when I think " nursing "

I always thought medical degrees were too hard for mature aged folks who haven't done math or physics for many years..That is why never pursued my dream career trajectory....

• Author

Ok. Poditary and becoming a dental therapist ( like a registered dental H but with more responsibilities)

Both start out on 50 K minimum. Both a dental therapist and a poditarist.

Both are offered at my local campus and they are both deeply routed in the health sciences and have a lot of medical based courses.. Win win. Scientific, specific,.technical, I guess t to see.gruesome things up close... Awesome!

Those two are top since they are locate nearby.

Medical radiation therapy is a close third.

Occupational therapy my fourth choice.

I am absolutely in love with the day to day life of a poditarist, dental therapist and a radiation therapist. Like wtf I love all their daily.schedules.......

I prefer that poditary and dental therapist get to see really graphic images though.

Plus ibam unsure if I can get really proficient in math and physics. Who knows?

Still have until January to decide. But poditary, dental therapy or radiation therapy are all top.three.....

Leigh, something tells me you had never heard of this until yesterday. It's podiatry, and podiatrist!! :)

Not poditary. Better get used to it. ;)

Feet, feet, oh those smelly feet! Fungus, ingrown toenails, and diabetic ulcers, the stuff of dreams. Good luck!

• Like 1

"Anyway, I think poditary fits my bill more as I LOVE the patient care aspect of the medical profession.

I have looked at the day to day goings on of a poditarist and the daily workload and routine is attractive to me. I can see myself enjoying it.

My poditarist friend and her class mates had to experiment with needles used for the operations. They each had to inject each other with massive needles that put there feet completely asleep.

My friends partner hit a nerve and bone when they administered the needle. I am not looking forward to that part of the course. Maybe I can be " sick " that day."

Leigh, you can't just opt out of a part of the process that you don't like! Injections are a huge part of it. Heel spurs come to mind.

As for the patient care, it's not like plastic surgery, where the patients are willing and eager. They come to a podiatrist as a last resort, because those damn feet, the things that hold us up all day, have a problem. Feet are often seriously neglected. You'll have patients who can't even SEE their feet, much less trim their own toenails! I had one diabetic guy who had a huge infected hole in the bottom of his foot, because he had a nail in the bottom of his boot, but kept pulling the boot on and off. He simply couldn't feel his foot.

Seriously. Tag along for a day if you know a podiatrist. It's not like pedicures.

• Like 2
  • Author

I saw more foul foot conditions in my utube and online research of a day in the life of a poditarist.

Doesn't phase me.

My good friend is walking into a 55 k job as a poditarist. She failed many classes as English is her second language. Her peers have also got offered jobs for when they graduate.

I have known about poditary and other disciplines for some time. As I said, I didn't want a hardcore degree, I wasn't ready nor did I think I could handle truly challenging college work.

I was dealing with some mental health issues and just didnt feel I was ready for a degree with hard science involved. I was quiet weak and I didn't believe in myself.

I have always longed to do a technical science health sciences degree. What I wanted and what I thought I could do were different things entirely.

Going back to college years after study is daunting. First few years I did easy humanities based courses. Completely unfulfilled, I am at a stage where I know i have what it takes to just go after a harder but more worthwhile degree that will result in a career I feel a real academic tendency towards.

I like gross stuff. I WANT to deal with really challenging and unpleasant situations.

Despite what you all think, I believe I'll get good grades and enjoy the degree and get a job in the field of my choosing. providing I work hard.

• Author
Leigh, something tells me you had never heard of this until yesterday. It's podiatry, and podiatrist!! :)

Not poditary. Better get used to it. ;)

Feet, feet, oh those smelly feet! Fungus, ingrown toenails, and diabetic ulcers, the stuff of dreams. Good luck!

Oh well that that turns me on.

Not really....

In all seriousness, I don't consider those things gruesome. I actually feel excited at the idea of working with some seriously nasty food fungus.

I want to deal with the worst you can get. I believe I have what it takes to become an.expert in any field my intellect can manage, providing I am driven by the degree and courses on offer, and also the career.

My friend tells me all about her work. I am not ignorant, I tend to read widely about things that matter to me...which a bachelor's degree is literally the number one thing on my mind.

Reading and watching youtube videos are a far cry from hands on. For one, you don't have to smell anything! :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Reading and watching youtube videos are a far cry from hands on. For one, you don't have to smell anything! :)

I have joined a poditary forum.

I am enjoying reading all about athletes foot in great detail.

Gross foot conditions don't perturb me. I am still adamant that it's a great fit for me career wise.

I have joined a poditary forum.

I am enjoying reading all about athletes foot in great detail.

Gross foot conditions don't perturb me. I am still adamant that it's a great fit for me career wise.

Please. At least learn to spell it. If I were on the review board for applications into the program, and saw 'poditary' and 'poditarist', I'd put your app in the trash, especially if you've claimed to have some college education. Seriously. :rolleyes: Make a good impression.

• Like 2
I am not able to follow you, Leigh. A few short weeks ago you shared your true passions with us. And now they have changed to … being a foot doctor?

In the years you've been posting here you have never mentioned an interest or ability in science. But today it's your grand passion?

If it's switching every day or two, IT IS A WHIM. Not a PASSION.

Honestly, I feel that you need to step back from making plans for your future for a while.

I think that you need to go to school in September and STAY YOUR COURSE.

More than any subject matter in school, you need to FIRST learn how to stick to something.

Leigh, you just closed another thread after you were so firm on what you wanted to pursue....

TigerLilly78
Yes I am aware.

I want to become an expert of close range, technical medical based professions.

I want to see either feet, teeth or what have you, up close personal and raw. I want to see the worst that is out there.

I know it may seem odd to the outsider, but I truly to want to get very close and personal with a specific body part on a daily basis.

I have always been obsessed with how people die, does I hurt, and also what happens to bodies when they pass...since I was under 10. I have always had such a fascination with the... Slightly more hardcore components of being human, alive or dead.

Trust me lol. I am definately one of those strange people who actually want to see the worst there is out there up very close and personal, be it teeth or feet.

I just don't feel.." like me" when I think " nursing "

I always thought medical degrees were too hard for mature aged folks who haven't done math or physics for many years..That is why never pursued my dream career trajectory....

You confuse me but ok good luck..have you ever considered becoming a mortishion? since you have a thing for death? I know a girl who did just an idea..Aged folk's your what 28? 0.o

You confuse me but ok good luck..have you ever considered becoming a mortishion? since you have a thing for death? I know a girl who did just an idea..Aged folk's your what 28? 0.o

Oh, wow. I often wish I'd gone into that! Or pathology. Autopsies, woot woot!

• Like 1
TigerLilly78
Oh, wow. I often wish I'd gone into that! Or pathology. Autopsies, woot woot!

I know dealing with stiffs can be good fun..lol

• Like 1
  • Author

I am still really excited about dealing with people feet. Nothing anyone tells me is lessening my drive to study it.

On the other hand, a bachelor of medical radiation science (therapy) degree is my.second choice in terms of my interest level.

Perhaps the medical radiation degree would be a better fit if I become squeamish about four feet?

TigerLilly78
I am still really excited about dealing with people feet. Nothing anyone tells me is lessening my drive to study it.

On the other hand, a bachelor of medical radiation science (therapy) degree is my.second choice in terms of my interest level.

Perhaps the medical radiation degree would be a better fit if I become squeamish about four feet?

Are you talking about becoming a xray tech? I would prob choose that over feet if it was me..